Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Michael in the Media - Thread for Miscellaneous Articles

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,235 Posts

Default Michael Jackson’s Antics With His Neverland Crocodiles Made His Manager ‘Very Uncomfortable’

Michael Jackson left behind an enduring musical legacy and a reputation for living a luxurious lifestyle. Though he was notoriously private, Jackson’s inner circle sometimes recalled stories about his menagerie of wild animals that he kept at his Neverland estate.

Lionel Richie once talked about his python scaring the daylights of him, but who knew Jackson had crocodiles too? The late singer’s former manager described being stunned when he saw how Jackson behaved with the reptiles.

Michael Jackson collected exotic pets at Neverland

From a young age, Michael Jackson was known for his affinity for animals. At one time he had a pet rat named Ben and befriended Bubbles, his famous chimpanzee.

The late pop star splurged his wealth on Neverland Ranch and created a private zoo on the 2,700-hundre acre property. Once upon a time, it housed tarantulas, an elephant, tigers, flamingos, a lion, and a variety reptiles.

Before Jackson’s death, he began shutting down the place and rehomed most of the creatures. Some went to animal sanctuaries and others went to public zoos.

Birds, giraffes, primates and more found new homes before he left Neverland for good in 2005. Jackson vacated the property following his trial.

Jackson’s former manager liked Neverland’s zoo except for the crocodiles

Dieter Wiesner began acting as Jackson’s manager in 2003. In 2020, he published a book titled Michael Jackson: The Real Story: An Intimate Look Into Michael Jackson’s Visionary Business and Human Side. In it, he shared one anecdote about watching Jackson play around with the crocodiles on Neverland Ranch.

He and the singer went for a walk on the grounds, and Wiesner remembered enjoying the sounds of nature and the animals around them. They made their way past the aviary, and for a moment, Jackson stopped and leaned against the fence that protected the crocodile habitat.

Wiesner recalled how Jackson suddenly jumped over the fence and sat on a boundary wall with his feet hanging above the crocodiles’ heads. He noted one of them was close to the wall near Jackson.

“I have to admit, the crocodile’s proximity to Michael’s dangling feet made me very uncomfortable,” Wiesner wrote. “On the other hand, I didn’t know if this was something Michael regularly did, and the crocodiles were used to it; therefore, I anxiously observed, with hopes Michael knew what he was doing,” he said.

The reptiles were Wiesner’s least favorite attraction at the zoo, but Jackson was very carefree and took things a step further.

A crocodile snapped at Michael Jackson

Wiesner continued to watch Jackson, who had grown adventurous and decided to launch small pebbles at the 6-foot long beasts. Worried, he told Jackson to be careful. “I asked jokingly, ‘You want to be able to continue to do the moonwalk in the future? Don’t you’ Of course, he didn’t listen,” Wiesner recalled.

And then bubbles formed in the water. Jackson had already stopped tossing gravel, but he caught the animals’ attention.

“And in the twinkling of an eye, the animal popped out of the water with its mouth open at a 90- degree angle and ferociously snapped at Michael’s feet. Just in time, Michael snatched his legs up before the croc’s mouth closed,” Wiesner wrote.

He said the sound was reminiscent of a chest slamming shut. As the croc bared its teeth and hissed, Jackson stood atop the wall, laughing it up. Though Wiesner felt stunned, he said that was Michael being Michael.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...fortable.html/

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Does Eddie Murphy have any unreleased songs with Michael?

In an interview with The New York Times on the occasion of the release of the sequel to the film A Prince in New York, which is scheduled to be released on March 5 on Amazon Prime Video,

HALL I’m here ’cause I’m broke — he’s here ’cause he’s good. [Laughter]

MURPHY I don’t see myself as a movie star or a comedian or any of those things. I see myself as an artist. And I feel like there’s a bunch of different ways I can express myself.

HALL You can pop by Eddie’s, and he’ll play a song for you. And you can’t even believe, wait, that’s you on guitar? That’s you singing? You wrote and produced this track? And that’s what he does for fun. For him it’s like crocheting a hat.

MURPHY I have so many tracks and collaborations with people — Michael [Jackson], El DeBarge — all these people I’ve been in the studio with over the years and never finished it or never released it.

HALL He does so many things. He does them as well as anybody else. He’s a beast. It’s hard to deal with.

A phrase that leaves fans of the King of Pop dreaming about a possible unreleased title with Eddie Murphy.

For novices, on Eddie Murphy's 1992 album "Love's Alright", Michael Jackson sang the chorus on the song "Yeah" with several artists and did a duet on "Whatzupwitu" which was released as a single and was the subject of a music video.

1992 also corresponds to the release of Michael Jackson's Music Video Remember The Time in which Eddie Murphy plays the Pharaoh.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/24/m...2-america.html

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Chinese blockbuster evokes nostalgia in Michael Jackson fans

A lot of Michael Jackson fans in China went to crowded movie theaters during the Spring Festival holiday with a special purpose -- to hear their idol's iconic song Heal the World, which played at the end of the blockbuster film Detective Chinatown 3.

Currently the second highest-grossing film this year, the third installment of the popular Detective Chinatown franchise has raked in 4.2 billion yuan ($649.3 million).

With a stellar cast including some of the top Japanese stars such as Satoshi Tsumabuki and Masami Nagasawa, the sequel set in Tokyo unfolds with the new mission of the detective duo Tang Ren and Qin Feng, who try to solve a mysterious murder of a gang's leader.

Director Chen Sicheng reveals that the franchise will produce some spinoff stories with other protagonists aside from Tang Ren and Qin Feng in order to appeal a wider viewership in the future, during a recent screening of the movie in a local theater in Beijing.

In order to express the movie's theme of wishing the world peace, director Chen reveals that he spent a hefty fee to purchase the licensing right to Heal the World, a song from Jackson's 1991 album Dangerous.

With its beautiful melody and connotations, the song has captivated many Chinese fans over the decades, moving some of them to tears while hearing it in theaters during the Lunar New Year holiday.

"The song is a warm and healing surprise for fans in China and the general public, considering what we have been through last year. Many fans told me they cried when they heard the song at the end of the film. The power of music is incredible," says Keen Zhang, head of Michael Jackson's Chinese fan club.

"Michael Jackson always cared about the world and humanity when he was alive, and the song is not just about love and peace, but also appeals people to act together to heal this world in disasters, chaos, injustice, illness, poverty and war for children and generations to come," he adds. "Director Chen made good use of the song to bring comfort, inspiration and hope to the people, and Michael's legacy will forever shine."

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/20210...9I6_-zCvk4RiIg

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Britney Spears and Michael Jackson: Inside Their ‘Obsession’ With Each Other

Britney Spears idolized Michael Jackson, and he, in turn, was a massive Spears’ fan. If the late King of Pop was alive today, many fans believe he would be a part of the #freebritney movement. Here’s a look inside Jackson and Spears’ obsession with each other in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Britney Spears loved Michael Jackson

In the early 2000s, Michael Jackson called Britney Spears and asked her to sing a song with him. The young pop star was shocked and could hardly believe that MJ was on the phone. She grew up listening to his music and was a massive fan. In 2001, they sang “The Way You Make Me Feel” together in Madison Square Garden in New York City.

“I didn’t realize what had happened until I got off the stage,” Spears said in an interview afterward. “It was just really an amazing experience. It was awesome. I was very honored that he wanted to do this song with me.”

She added in another interview that it was something she could “tell my kids about.” Then in 2002, Spears introduced Jackson onstage at the 2002 MTV Video Music Awards.

“So, he’s my idol, the best guy in the whole world,” Spears said about Jackson before taking the stage. “I’m really kind of excited. I’m really nervous.”

A few years later, Barbara Walters asked Spears if she still idolized Jackson after hearing about him allegedly molesting young boys. Spears said she wanted to believe that was “untrue.” The pop icon thought MJ had a very different childhood and probably only needed friends and support at that time in his adult life.

Michael Jackson and his ‘obsession’ with Britney Spears

Spears was asked numerous times about her feelings for Jackson in public interviews. However, the only interview fans have about Jackson’s feelings are from choreographer Wade Robson. The dancer choreographed many of Spears and NSYNC’s songs. He spent time with both Spears and Justin Timberlake.

In the documentary about Jackson, Leaving Neverland, Robson went into detail about the obsession that the King of Pop had with Spears.

“Michael had some sort of obsession with Britney, and he would call me, and he’d wanna know what it was like working with her, what she was like,” Robson said in the documentary. “‘Isn’t she sexy? Isn’t she beautiful?’ Wondering if I can set up a way for them to meet.”

Robson never had to initiate that meeting. It turned out that all Jackson had to do was give Spears a call.

Spears was ‘devastated’ when Jackson died

Michael Jackson died of a heart attack on June 25, 2009. Countless stars spoke out as the world mourned the death of the King of Pop.

“I was so excited to see his show in London,” the singer said in a statement to MTV. “We were going to be on tour in Europe at the same time, and I was going to fly in to see him. He has been an inspiration throughout my entire life, and I’m devastated he’s gone!”

The two pop stars had similar childhoods, both growing up in the spotlight. Sadly, their friendship had to end too soon.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...bsession.html/

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Who Has Won More Grammy Awards Beyoncé or Michael Jackson?

Beyoncé and Michael Jackson are two of the biggest pop stars in the world. After separating from the musical groups that made them household names, Beyoncé and Jackson embarked on solo careers, making names for themselves in the music industry. But despite both being music icons in their own right, one singer has more Grammy Award wins under their belt.

What was the first Grammy Award Beyoncé ever won?

Beyoncé received her first Grammy Award in 2001 when she and the other members of Destiny’s Child took home trophies for their hit song, Say My Name.

It wasn’t until 2004 that Beyoncé won several Grammys for her inevitable solo career. That year, Bey took home more awards than she could carry, thanks to her first solo project, Dangerously In Love.

She won five Grammys in total that night, which led her to take the prerequisite photo attempting to hold all the awards in her arms backstage.

Her wins included Best R&B Album, plus two awards for the song Crazy in Love.

Over the next few years, Beyoncé received countless nominations and won hundreds of awards and accolades for her music. With more than 400 wins and 800 nominations under her belt, the Queen Bey is one of the most awarded recording artists of all time.

Before his death, Michael Jackson had a winning streak with awards

Like Beyoncé, Jackson rose to fame as a member of a talented singing group. He debuted on the professional music scene in 1963 at the age of 5 as a member of The Jackson 5 and went on to establish a name for himself as the lead singer of the group until embarking on a solo career in 1971.

From then until his unprecedented death in 2009, Jackson was referred to as the “King of Pop.” He’s considered the greatest entertainer of all time and the most influential artist of the 20th century.

Not only does he hold 16 Guinness World Records, but Jackson is also a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Throughout his lifetime, the “Billie Jean” crooner received more than 100 accolades, making him the most awarded and nominated recording artist in the history of popular music.

Who has won more Grammy Awards in their lifetime — Michael Jackson or Beyoncé?

Though Beyoncé and Jackson are two of the most awarded artists in music history, one singer has the most Grammy wins under their belt.

Altogether, Jackson won 13 Grammys throughout his career, including the Grammy Legend Award and Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award, and received 38 nominations.

Though this is a truly stunning achievement, it turns out that the Queen Bey has him beat when it comes to Grammy Awards.

Currently, Beyoncé has 24 wins and 79 nominations from the Grammy Awards (including her work in Destiny’s Child and The Carters), making her the most nominated woman and the second-most awarded person in Grammy history.

Though Beyoncé has more Grammys than Jackson, both are still icons in the music industry as they’ve proven time and time again that they’re unstoppable forces of nature.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...-jackson.html/

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Michael Jackson's Irish hideaway goes on sale with a €6.35 million price tag

Ballinacurra House's owner Des and Lisa McGahan seek to sell on high end 25-acre exclusive rental property mix after 20 years, saying Covid-19 has driven international demand for private retreats

THE PRIVATE Co Cork estate where the late singer Michael Jackson stayed for weeks with his three children when scouring for an Irish hideaway of his own back in 2007 has been put up for sale – with a suitably celeb-sized price tag, of €6.35 million.

Ballinacurra House, on the edge of Kinsale in Co Cork has been operating as an exclusive, compact 25-acre private estate and corporate venue, renting at up to €40,000 per week, to the notoriously shy, and typically very wealthy range of international guests and corporate entities.

The closely-guarded guest list behind its screening boundaries has included A-list actors, European royalty and brewery heiresses, musicians, and corporate behemoths, as well as being voted Ireland’s Best Wedding Venue, in 2017, beating 600 other finalists.

A few years earlier, its owners revealed they had to refuse an approach for accommodation from Kim Kardashian and Kanye West when they honeymooned in Ireland in 2014 as they had a ‘house full,’ with a private wedding already booked in, one of about 60 a year they can do.

Now, the fully restored 14-bed and 18,400 sq ft Ballinacurra House, plus cottages bringing to 25 the total number of rooms possible – has just been put on the open market with a €6.35m price tag via international agents Knight Frank, for owners for the past 20 years Northern Ireland-born Des McGahan and his Australian wife Lisa.

When they bought it two decades ago, the 18th century two-storey Georgian home was run-down, and they spent four years restoring and extending, adding more land and amenities, including a riding arena and a jetty, and filling it with furniture from around the world, and from Asia where they had worked in finance and event management before relocating to Ireland after a company sale.

They say they have invested as much as €7m into the Kinsale venue, 30 minutes from an international airport and close to the Old Head of Kinsale Golf Course, and it has a landing area which has taken up to four helicopters at a time.

It employs up to 14, but the couple now wishes to sell after two decades hands on, after a recent health scare, and as their three children are now adults.

The McGahans suggest it could be bought for similar, continued high-end private hospitality and/or further developed, corporate HQ or retreat property, executive rental, or even a ‘Priory’ style upmarket addiction and rehabilitation centre.”

The privacy of the property was evidenced after Michel Jackson stayed there in 2007 with his three children, secluded from media packs, two years before Jackson’s death from a drugs overdose.

Des McGahan only broke his silence about Michael Jackson's weeks’ long presence there in an RTÉ interview with Claire Byrne after the pop-star’s death in 2009, praising the normality of his children’s behaviour and revealing he had been asked to get KFC and other takeaway foods for Jackson, despite having a Michelin-standard chef on hand at Ballinacurra House.

Commenting on the timing of the proposed sale during a pandemic, Mr McGahan pointed to a spike in interest, nationally and internationally, in country living and an upsurge in interest in county estates as the urban exodus gains traction – both from a lifestyle and a health and wellness perspective.

With its €6.35m price tag, the Co Cork ‘Irish Riviera’ riverside property comes to market just months after the €3.5m sale of West Cork’s LissArd Estate on 165 acre with two large period houses to US buyers for exclusive hospitality uses, and last year’s €5.5m sale of the 150 acre Horse Island’s in Roaringwater Bay, believe to be to an Asian buyer.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/proper...-40247126.html

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Smile First set of Michael Jackson emoji launched on China's social media WeChat

The first set of emoji inspired by US music legend, Michael Jackson, in commemoration of the singer in China, was launched on WeChat on Tuesday. The move was applauded by Chinese fans.

The set of emoji features Jackson's classic white gloves with diamonds and shows different gestures such as 'thumbs up' and the 'love gesture'.

"This idea to use the image of the gloves jumped out suddenly," Benny, designer of the emoji told the Global Times on Wednesday. "Gestures are sometimes more expressive than facial expressions, so I decided to create a set of gestures using the gloves."

Benny said his deep love to Michael Jackson started when he was in his third year of elementary school. "I have made six books of newspaper clipping about him for 13 years."

The singer's spirit has encouraged him all the time, the designer said.

The set of emoji will not be the last one and Benny noted that he will continue creating more emojis about Jackson as an offering to all the fans and a way to commemorate and remember the star.

The Michael Jackson Chinese Fanclub applauded the launch of the emojis and many fans shared in the chat that they have already downloaded and used them.

Some fans were expecting that animated images of Michael Jackson could also be designed as emoji.

Chinese fans have held many different events to commemorate the singer.

A statue of Michael Jackson was unveiled at a business center of Beijing in August 2020 to celebrate the late idol's 62nd birthday. Hundreds of Chinese fans, ranging from their 50s to their teens, joined the event to see the golden life-size statue.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202103/1218743.shtml

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Michael Jackson could have been in The Great Mouse Detective

The movie was released in 1986 and had Vincent Price doing the villain’s voice of Professor Ratigan.

The story of the soundtrack for The Great Mouse Detective is an unusual one. For starters, there wasn't a soundtrack album released at the same time with the movie. In fact, an album would only be released in 1992 when the movie was reissued.

Michael was still considered for a song but it never came to life.

During the process, Michael Eisner was considering Michael Jackson to play a small role and sing a song.

Michael was supposed to play a character who would enter the saloon, confront Basil, and sing a song at the tavern, but the suggestion was met with uncomfortable silence for which Eisner withdrew the idea; Eisner later proposed for Madonna to perform the song. Eventually, Melissa Manchester was brought in; she wrote and performed “Let Me Be Good to You”, by which the rough animation had to be re-timed and often re-animated to properly sync with the song.

https://www.cbr.com/disney-trivia-th...use-detective/

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default How Michael Jackson and Sting almost starred in Labyrinth instead of David Bowie

It's hard to imagine the movie Labyrinth without David Bowie as the Goblin King, but it could have turned out very different with other popstars in the lead role.

Labyrinth celebrates its 35th anniversary in 2021, and fans everywhere still love watching the Jim Henson fantasy film starring David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly.

The film cast David Bowie as Jareth, and he also provided the film's soundtrack with fantastic songs including 'Underground', 'As the World Falls Down' and 'Within You'.

But if the timing of the film was different, we could have got a very different Labyrinth than the one we know and love today.

In the early development stages of the film, Jim Henson wanted either Michael Jackson or Sting to play Jareth. Prince and Mick Jagger were other potentials.

However, it was Jim's son Brian Henson who convinced his father that Bowie was the ideal person for the role in question.

“When we first started to write the film we had an evil goblin king,” Jim Henson later said in a making of documentary.

“Quite early on we said, what if he were a rock singer? A contemporary figure… Who? Michael Jackson, Sting, David Bowie – there are only a few people you would think of.”

Eventually, Jim reached out to Bowie, meeting him backstage on the American leg of his 1983 Serious Moonlight Tour.

“They brought me the concept,” said Bowie. “[Henson] showed me The Dark Crystal, which I found a fascinating piece of work. And I could see the potentiality of making that kind of movie, with humans, songs, more of a lighter comedy.”

While we adore Bowie's Labyrinth, there's a part of us that would love to see this parallel universe version with Michael Jackson's music and vision!

https://www.smoothradio.com/artists/...n-sting-facts/