Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 187 USD, Received: 156 USD (84%)
We need your help...Please if you can help us with our cost's it will be hugely appreciated.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael in the Media - Thread for Miscellaneous Articles

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,244 Posts

Default Re: Michael in the Media - Thread for Miscellaneous Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Alh21 View Post
    I also watched this documentary and brought tears to my eyes when I heard the words, this is not a man that should have died. The parts of the documentary in Michael's bedroom made me feel like I was invading Michael's privacy and wished these parts were left out, does anyone else think the same, or is it just me being to sensitive?
    I agree. Michael shouldn't die at all. he had so much left to do on this earth. gone too soon.

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsYour first GroupThree FriendsCreated Blog entryTagger Second Class

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/21/enter...rnd/index.html

(CNN)The black loafers that Michael Jackson used to perform his signature moonwalk for the first time on stage are going up for auction.

The star owned the Florsheim Imperial leather shoes and wore them while rehearsing his performance of "Billie Jean" for the "Motown 25" TV special in 1983.
    That rehearsal marked the first time the King of Pop performed his famous backward-sliding dance move on stage, according to GWS Auctions.
    The famous loafers will be put up for auction May 26.
    "Anything related to Michael Jackson is extraordinary, and to have something so incredibly historical as these shoes worn by Michael when he first did that now famous moonwalk is beyond special," Brigitte Kruse, owner of GWS Auctions, said via email. "We are so very honored to be able to offer them at auction."
    She said the auction house has a "very conservative estimate" on the shoes of $10,000.
    "These shoes are in wonderful condition for their age, with evident signs of use to the soles," the catalog description reads.
    The shoes have been owned by choreographer and dancer Lester Wilson, who said Jackson gave him the shoes in his dressing room after rehearsing with his brothers for the special, the auction house said.
    It's possible the shoes were used during the performance on the special, too, because according to the letter of authenticity, Jackson referred to the pair as his "magic shoes" and a pair of performance shoes has never surfaced, GWS Auctions said.
    "Billie Jean" and the album on which it appeared, 1982's "Thriller," made Jackson the first artist to have a No. 1 pop single, pop album, R&B single and R&B album chart simultaneously.
    Jackson began performing at age 5 with four of his five brothers as The Jackson Five. His first solo album, "Off the Wall" in 1979, sold more than 20 million copies and had four Top 10 singles.
    The music superstar died in 2009 at age 50 after suffering cardiac arrest at his home near Los Angeles.
    And they better spell my name right! L-I-D-E-O. So simple. Frankie Lideo!

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks

Michael Jackson tribute show so good it's Bad
    By Mark Green @markgreen53

From dancing along to the legendary pop videos as a child, to playing to a crowd of weeping fans the day after Michael Jackson died, Ben Bowman is dedicated to being the UK’s ultimate tribute to ‘The King of Pop’.

Ben, 33, quit college to pursue his dream and now travels the world paying homage to Jackson’s music in his live show Michael Starring Ben which comes to Carlisle next month.

His interest in the superstar began at an early age: “Me and my brother grew up with my mother’s vinyl collection and Michael Jackson was part of that.

“We especially caught on to him, and even started dressing up as him for fancy dress parties. I became one of those kids who learned all the dances from the videos.

“When it comes to the singing, I was around 16 or 17 and my friend asked ‘How does Michael Jackson’s new song go?’

“It was You Rock My World, I sang a couple of lines and she said I really sounded like him.”

He has performed as Michael Jackson for 14 years, starting straight out of school.

“I was at college, studying drama, and they told me I could earn £77 a night in the West End,” he remembers.

Ben, who grew up on the Isle of Sheppey, off Kent, quit the course and started booking venues.

“Even when I started, I thought it was just something fun that I could do on the side of working. I never imagined I would be a full-time Michael Jackson impersonator – it’s not like it’s something that comes up at the job centre!”

“People say: ‘Don’t you get bored?’ Our set has been the same for four and a half years, but every audience, every venue is different and an adaptation. There are definitely worse jobs in the world.

“When I started out, I had a lot of trouble trying to recreate the album versions of his songs. They’re studio works of art and you just can’t recreate that live.

“Seeing the live footage, I can study the voice in the raw and for me, the live singing on Bad is the best. The first conscious image I remember as a child is the Bad era – and it’s definitely my favourite. He had a cool, tough edge about him, and I’ve always loved that side.”

It is now 10 years since the superstar died, but people are just as keen to hear his songs and see Ben portray the ‘King of Pop’.

He said: “Where has that time gone? I still remember hearing the news and having to go out the next night in a bar to perform. It was a big bar, and there were about 700 people crammed in, and people outside. It was insane.

“I’ll never forget that night and the turn out – it would usually have been about 400 people and was almost doubled. People were crying, it was a very emotional night.”

They are still emotional. Ben says: “The fans are so passionate. The screamers and criers are my favourites.

“I absolutely love that we incite that reaction, it means we are doing something right. It’s insane, incredible, that people are drawn into it for those two hours that we perform, that they believe in what we’re doing.

“It’s a feeling I wouldn’t swap for anything.”

n Michael Starring Ben, is at The Sands Centre, September 28. For tickets go to www.thesandscentre. co.uk or call 01228 633766

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/1...good-39-s-bad/

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Miscellaneous Michael J. Jackson - MMJJ

[Videos included on the site if you're interested]

Michael Jackson’s MTV Impact Breaking Racial Barriers and Opening Doors for Artists of Color

https://blacknewszone.com/2019/08/23...ists-of-color/

*Atlanta — Michael Jackson’s pioneering state of mind emerged when he was barely past his teen years: be the first, be the best, and create a way for others to have the same or greater opportunities.

He first burst into American living rooms in 1969 as the cherubic-faced front “man” for the Jackson 5 at age 11, who with his four brothers, produced four consecutive No. 1 hits on the Motown Records label. Throughout their teens, Jackson and his brothers made bell-bottom jeans, Afros and family, a cool and ubiquitous part of black culture.

By the time he was 11, he was the youngest artist to top the Billboard Hot 100 chart (155 days) and at 12, he already had four No.1 singles. He blazed a trail that would make him America’s first symbol of what it really meant to be a black crossover artist. On March 10, 1983, Jackson’s music video “Billie Jean,” would be the instrument to change the course of MTV forever. After its debut on the network, the single topped the Billboard 100 charts for seven weeks, proving its long-deserved placement was overdue.

On Dec. 2, 1983, Jackson’s full 13-minute music video “Thriller,” premiered on MTV — a network that had unapologetically told artists of color their music did not sync with its format. MTV airing Jackson’s “Thriller” further broke down racial and cultural barriers that denied black artists a place on the new platform for their creative works and Americans an opportunity to engage with black visual music.

After “Thriller’s” debut, MTV came under increasing scrutiny for its lack of diversity in the videos it premiered. What emerged was a critical question: Where was the representation of the cosmic influence that African Americans had in all genres of music, even rock-and-roll?

For Jackson, it was the beginning or rather, a continuation of what became his lifelong commitment to changing the course of mainstream industry oppression. He approached MTV with an opportunity to play fair and bring a diverse experience to its audience while opening the door for the artists of color that followed.

Jackson’s landmark videos are also credited with contributing to significant advancements in black music video development and filmmaking over the last 30 years as well as influencing artists such as Ne-Yo, Usher, Kanye West, Bruno Mars, and Janelle Monáe. But most enduring and impactful about Jackson’s breakthrough on MTV was his choice to be a pivotal force in championing the pathway for African-American artists to be part of a phenomenon, which today gives them a platform for influencing cultural diversity around the world.

Supporters of Michael Jackson’s Legacy

Michael Jackson broke records and broke barriers. He was a pioneer in music, art, and entertainment. He blazed trails and created pathways. He brought people together through his unique gifts to the world: extraordinary music and unparalleled generosity. He achieved more in his brief life than many. He gave more to people in his 50 years than most. What remains is his legacy—immortal, indelible, infinite. These press releases are a dedicated destination to read, learn, and reflect on all things Michael Jackson. Archives of all articles can be found on our column in www.EURweb.com under Michael Jackson’s Legacy column.

https://www.instagram.com/celebratingmj/

https://www.facebook.com/celebratingmj/

https://twitter.com/celebrating_mj

Media Contact:

Edna Sims, Owner, ESP Public Relations
    "If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with" - Michael Jackson

Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Me and Michael share a lot of the same characteristics. i been going to therapy almost 10 years now. (isn't that weird?) if my therapist tells me that i'm okay and that my interests are unique then article about Michael from therapists from 1984 saying the samething shows a lot. MICHAEL IS INNOCENT AND ALWAYS BEEN HAVE.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Michael Jackson’s Halloween Hit ‘Thriller’ Is as Popular as Ever Despite Leaving Neverland Fallout

Though public perception of Michael Jackson has become even more divisive since the release of the HBO documentary Leaving Neverland — which resurfaced sexual abuse claims against Jackson earlier this year — the legendary musician’s 1982 hit “Thriller” seems to have survived largely unscathed.

As Halloween approaches, towns across the United States have hosted “Thriller” walks and parades as an homage to the song’s music video, which features Jackson dressed up as both a werewolf and a zombie. During the video, Jackson leads a group of zombies in the famous “Thriller” dance.

On Saturday, November 2 the city of Macon, Georgia held their “13th Annual ‘Thriller’ Parade.” According to the website, the two-hour parade featured “100 zombies of all ages” who performed the “Thriller” dance together at 9 p.m. Similar events were held in Lexington, Kentucky, La Crescent, Wisconsin and Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
    Jackson’s two sons, Prince Michael and Blanket “Bigi” Jackson, also hosted their third annual “Thriller Night” costume party with the Heal Los Angeles Foundation — an organization which was founded to further the cause of Jackson’s Heal the World Foundation and improve the conditions of those in Los Angeles — on Saturday.

As recently as last year, “Thriller” remained the top Halloween song, according to Billboard’s charts. Billboard collected the data by a formula blending digital sales, radio airplay and streaming, as measured by Nielsen Music.
    Earlier this month, Billboard reported that streaming increased 22 percent in the 31-week period following the documentary’s release. On the other hand, radio airplay of Jackson’s songs decreased 32 percent in the same period.

Leaving Neverland was released in January and focuses on the stories of two men, Wade Robson and James Safechuck, who claim that Jackson sexually abused them both as children. Prior to his death, the star had repeatedly denied any wrongdoing, and he was acquitted in a child sex abuse case leveled against him in California in 2005.

Still, the documentary had a lasting impact on Michael’s legacy; several radio stations took Michael’s hits out of rotation and the star’s 2,700-acre Neverland Ranch (now renamed Sycamore Valley Ranch) was put on the market at 70 percent off its original list price.
    Though a musical based on the life and career of Jackson, titled MJ, was cancelled ahead of its anticipated Chicago run in response to the documentary, Variety now reports that it is set to open on Broadway in August 2020.

https://people.com/music/michael-jac...rland-fallout/

Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryThree FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,687 Times in 1,070 Posts

Default Re: Michael Jackson’s Halloween Hit ‘Thriller’ Is as Popular as Ever Despite Leaving Neverland Fallo

Nobody can kill "Thriller" and "Thriller Will Not DIE!
    SUPPORTER/FAN of MICHAEL JACKSON & NARUHINA

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PoP For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,483 Posts

Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Michael Jackson was a 'player' and 'feeble' persona was an act – claims Mike Tyson
    Boxing legend Mike Tyson has opened up about the King of Pop in a tell-all interview

Mike Tyson has opened up about his interactions with the late Michael Jackson in a candid interview.

The boxing champ, 53, claimed Michael was a "player" and "feeble" nature was all a facade.

In an enlightening chat on T.I's Expeditiously podcast, Tyson opened up about his friendship with Jackson, and revealed he hated him long before they became pals.

Tyson claimed Jackson snubbed him backstage at a concert in 1986, despite him just becoming the heavyweight champion of the world.

Speaking about the moment, Tyson said: "It broke my ego.

"It crushed me."

Tyson said the frosty moment saw him harbour anger towards Michael for years.

He recalled: "That cold mother f****r. I hated his guts forever."

Tyson said the beef between the pair was later squashed when a mutual friend suggested they all hang out together.

Not only did they let bygones be bygones, Tyson said he quickly realised Michael was really intelligent and not "a f***ing idiot".

Mike said: "He wasn't no f**king stupid little feeble lookin' boy like Peter Pan. He's f**king sharp. He knew what f**kin' time it was. It blew my mind."

Tyson also recalls thinking he was a "player" when he met him in terms of knowing how to woo someone.

He also said MJ gave him tips on how to impress women.

Tyson divulged: "I thought he was a f**king idiot until I met him that day,"

"I learned to respect him. I knew he was a player."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/...rsona-21244036

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,530 Times in 1,269 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenOrigami View Post
    Michael Jackson was a 'player' and 'feeble' persona was an act – claims Mike Tyson
    Boxing legend Mike Tyson has opened up about the King of Pop in a tell-all interview

Mike Tyson has opened up about his interactions with the late Michael Jackson in a candid interview.

The boxing champ, 53, claimed Michael was a "player" and "feeble" nature was all a facade.

In an enlightening chat on T.I's Expeditiously podcast, Tyson opened up about his friendship with Jackson, and revealed he hated him long before they became pals.

Tyson claimed Jackson snubbed him backstage at a concert in 1986, despite him just becoming the heavyweight champion of the world.

Speaking about the moment, Tyson said: "It broke my ego.

"It crushed me."

Tyson said the frosty moment saw him harbour anger towards Michael for years.

He recalled: "That cold mother f****r. I hated his guts forever."

Tyson said the beef between the pair was later squashed when a mutual friend suggested they all hang out together.

Not only did they let bygones be bygones, Tyson said he quickly realised Michael was really intelligent and not "a f***ing idiot".

Mike said: "He wasn't no f**king stupid little feeble lookin' boy like Peter Pan. He's f**king sharp. He knew what f**kin' time it was. It blew my mind."

Tyson also recalls thinking he was a "player" when he met him in terms of knowing how to woo someone.

He also said MJ gave him tips on how to impress women.

Tyson divulged: "I thought he was a f**king idiot until I met him that day,"

"I learned to respect him. I knew he was a player."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/...rsona-21244036
    LMAO. I actually find this VERY easy to believe, as it aligns with my own thoughts regarding Michael's persona.
    Intelligent, witty, charming and flirty.....definitely quite the player when he wanted to be, as everyone seemed to instantly fall in love with him.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mikky Dee For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsYour first GroupThree FriendsCreated Blog entryTagger Second Class

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Michael knew how to be warm, but there were times when he was conceited and cold. I believe him.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Michael could get any women he wanted to be honest that's only the woman like him though. but he was so different and he wanted someone just like him. it's sad he never actually got it. Michael was kind of sassy and forward at sometimes. but he was also sweet and shy sometimes.

all in all he had a beautiful soul.
    Last edited by NatureCriminal7896; 10-01-2020 at 05:12 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to NatureCriminal7896 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Miscellaneous Michael J. Jackson - MMJJ

Buellton Medical Center Announces Passing of Local Doctor

The Buellton Medical Center announced Dr. William B. Van Valin II, also known as Barney, passed away on Saturday, January 4.

Dr. Van Valin was born and raised in the Santa Ynez Valle and worked at the Buellton Medical Clinic and Center since 2004.

"He loved his hometown... He was a good man and a great doctor; he will be greatly missed by all his patients and all the people that knew him," stated the Medical Center.

Van Valin published a book about his friendship with the late pop star and Santa Ynez Valley resident Michael Jackson titled "Conversations in Neverland with Michael Jackson." The doctor was ordered to testify in 2013 in the wrongful death lawsuit filed by Jackson's family.

The Medical Center stated they are not disclosing any further information out of respect and compassion for his family.

https://www.edhat.com/news/buellton-...f-local-doctor

R.I.P. Barney :cry:

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Black History Month Spotlight: Michael Jackson & Dr. Rebecca Lee Crumpler!

Posted on February 3, 2020 by Pulse of Radio

Black History Month 2020

To recall and celebrate the positive contributions to our nation made by people of African descent, American historian Carter G. Woodson established Black History Week beginning on Feb. 12, 1926. In 1976, as part of the nation's bicentennial, the week was expanded into Black History Month.

TODAY'S SPOTLIGHT ON MICHAEL JACKSON

Michael Jackson was one of the top-selling artists of all time, only behind Elvis Presley and The Beatles, selling nearly 175 million albums worldwide. His 1982 album Thriller is the best-selling album of all time, with over 50 million copies sold worldwide. Dubbed the “King of Pop”, MJ was a singer, songwriter, producer, dancer, actor and humanitarian. He launched his solo career in 1971, after making his debut with his brothers The Jackson 5 in 1964. He is one of the only artists to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice. He was also inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame and the Dance Hall of Fame as the first and only dancer from pop and rock music. His other achievements include multiple Guinness World Records; 13 Grammy Awards as well as the Grammy Legend Award and the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award; 26 American Music Awards, more than any other artist, including the “Artist of the Century” and “Artist of the 1980s”; 13 number-one singles in the United States in his solo career, more than any other male artist in the Hot 100 era.

He is also the most awarded recording artists in the history of pop music. He is also the first artist to have a top ten single on the Billboard Hot 100 in five different decades after “Love Never Felt So Good” reached number 9 in 2014. He earned nearly $1 billion during his career and became one of the top earning dead celebrities after his death in 2009.

TRIVIA

Shared with Carlos Santana the record for most Grammys won in one year, with eight. First solo artist to generate four top ten hits on the Billboard charts on one album with “Off the Wall.” First artist to generate seven top ten hits (USA) on one album with “Thriller.” Until August 2011, he was the only artist in history to generate five #1 hits (USA) from one album with “Bad”. Katy Perry has since tied this record with her album “Teenage Dream”. With Lionel Richie, co-wrote the song “We Are the World,” and was one of its performers. Wrote and recorded a song called “On the Line”, produced by Kenneth 'Babyface' Edmonds, for the film Get on the Bus (1996) that was not included on the soundtrack for the film. Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2001 (as a solo artist). Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997 (as a member of the Jackson 5). Had three kids: Prince Michael, Prince Michael II, Paris Jackson. Was found not guilty on ten counts of child molestation on 13 June 2005 due to lack of evidence. Ranked #11 in VH1's list of the “100 Greatest Kid Stars” with his brothers as the Jackson 5. His hit song “Bad” from 1987 was initially supposed to be a duet with Prince. Prince said in an interview that he did not wish to sing the line “Your butt is mine”. He was the Godfather of Nicole Richie. The music video for his song “Thriller” was the longest video ever with 13 minutes, until this record was broken by Mike Skinner with the video for the song “When You Wasn't Famous”. Claimed to have given $300 million to charity, more than any other celebrity apart from Oprah Winfrey. Owed an estimated $435 million in debts at the time of his death. His memorial service from the Staples Center on Tuesday, July 7th 2009 brought the Internet's second largest day ever in terms of total traffic. He died on the same day as Farrah Fawcett. Both were in California at the time. She died at 9:28 a.m PDT, he was pronounced dead at 2:26 p.m. after hours of unsuccessful resuscitation. Holds 10 different Guinness World Records. MJ died at age 50 on June 25, 2009.

PERSONAL QUOTES

On being black: “I'm a black American, I am proud of my race. I am proud of who I am. I have a lot of pride and dignity.” On a better tomorrow: “Let us dream of tomorrow where we can truly love from the soul, and know love as the ultimate truth at the heart of all creation.” On hating his appearance: “Yes, and I had pimples so badly it used to make me so shy. I used not to look at myself. I'd hide my face in the dark, I wouldn't want to look in the mirror and my father teased me and I just hated it and I cried everyday.” On being a perfectionist: “I'm never pleased with anything, I'm a perfectionist, it's part of who I am.”

(Source: RIAA, Forbes, Wikipedia, Imdb, Brainy Quotes)

SOUND

On child abuse allegations:

“If I would hurt a child, I would slit my wrists. I would never hurt a child. It's totally false. I was outraged. I could never do something like that.”

On his influences:

“Berry Gordy, Berry Gordy, Berry Gordy, Berry Gordy. I just have to say thank you. He was so important in our lives, and he is really my real inspiration, and I owe him so much. Quincy Jones, thank you. We talk about a 'Thriller,' it's Quincy. You're incredible. I love you, Quincy. He is the man. The glamorous–(crowd members shouts something) No, I…thank you. The glamorous and talented and beautiful Diana Ross, who is my second mother–I thank you.”

On being beaten as a child:

“Michael Jackson tells Oprah he was beaten as a child. “(Michael) I remember going to the recording studio, there was a park across the street and I would see all the children playing and they were rooting and making noise and I would cry. It would make me sad that I would have to go and work instead. Oh there's a lot of sadness in my past life. And you know adolescence and my father and all those things, it just made me very sad. (Oprah) So he would tease you and make fun of you? (Michael) Yes. (Oprah) Did he ever beat you? (Michael) Yes he did.”

On Neverland Ranch:

“I wanted to have a place that I could create everything that I that I never had as a child. So, you see rides. You see animals. There's a movie theater. I was always on tour, traveling. You know? And — I never got a chance to do those things. So, I compensated for the loss by — I have a good time — I mean, I can't go into a park. I can't go to Disneyland, as myself. I can't go out and walk down the street. There's crowds, and bumper-to-bumper cars. So, I create my world behind my gates. Everything that I love is behind those gates.”

Janet Jackson speaks on behalf of her family after MJ's death at the 2009 BET Awards.

“I'm going to keep it very short but I, I just like to say that to you Michael is an icon… to us Michael is family and he will forever live in all of our hearts. On behalf of my family and myself thank you for all of your love, thank you for all your support. We miss him so much.”

https://www.1063thegroove.com/rb-new...-lee-crumpler/

(I only pasted the MJ part of the article here.)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Greg Phillinganes Rare Inteview, Speaks About Working With Michael Jackson

In a rare interview given to Keyboard Magazine, Greg Phillinganes, who has worked for Michael Jackson in the studio, on tour, in videos but also pays tribute to the King of Pop working on projects such as Immortal Tour, recalls moments with Michael.

Was Quincy your entry point into working with Michael Jackson?

Yes, but before Quincy started producing Michael’s solo albums, a buddy of mine named Bobby Colomby called me one day and asked me, “How do you feel about arranging?” Now, even though I’d done some, I was still a bit timid about my abilities. Bobby said to me, “You should do more arranging.” And I replied, “Well, I don’t know.” He then replied, “Let me put it this way. You will do more arranging. And here’s who you’re going to do it with!” The next thing I knew, I was in a room with the Jackson brothers, doing rhythm arrangements for the Destiny album. The first song I worked on was “Blame It on the Boogie.”

How did your work with Michael Jackson develop after that?

I had worked on the Jackson 5’s Triumph album after Destiny. After that, Quincy asked me to be involved in Michael’s solo album Off the Wall. I played on virtually all of that album, and things just took off from there.

Then recording with Michael Jackson led to touring?

I’ll never forget the way Michael asked me to tour with him. We were working on the Bad album, and from time to time he’d say, “Um, you really enjoy performing, right?” And I’d say, “Yeah. It’s great.” I didn’t really think anything of it. Time would pass, and he’d say to me, “Um, you like performing live, right?” I’d reply, “Yeah, it’s great.” More time would pass, and he’d then say to me, “Um, you really like live audiences, right?” This went on and on, until it finally dawned on me. I said to him, “You want me to tour with you, don’t you?” And he said, “Yeah.” The next thing I knew, I was the musical director for the Bad tour, which was huge.

Michael did something really sweet for me that I’ll never forget. The running joke at that time was that I was a famous keyboard player but I didn’t own a Rhodes of my own. After we finished the Destiny album, I was at home minding my own business when my doorbell rang. A guy driving a white truck asked me, “Are you Greg Phillinganes? I have something for you.” He opened the truck and took out a giant case with a Rhodes Suitcase model in it. Attached was a note from Michael: “I knew you didn’t have one of these so I thought you’d like one.” I still have that Rhodes, and I recently had it completely redone. It sounds amazing.

How did you wind up musical director of the Immortal show?

A few years ago, John McClain from the Jackson estate called me and said, “You’re doing this,” and that was pretty much it. I’d turned down other Michael Jackson tribute shows because I thought they weren’t of the quality they needed to be. But when I learned that the Immortal was sanctioned by Michael’s estate and involved Cirque du Soleil, I wholeheartedly signed on. I think it’s the next best thing to Michael doing his own tour. Michael was actually a huge fan of Cirque, and had seen all of their shows.
    Jamie King, the show’s director, brought Kevin Antunes on board as music designer.

Jamie and Kevin had worked together on many productions, including shows for Rihanna and Madonna, and this time, Kevin had the enviable job of going through all of Michael’s original Sony master tapes. He ultimately assembled them into what we now have as our show.

https://www.keyboardmag.com/artists/...ected-in-music

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NatureCriminal7896 For This Useful Post: