Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Michael in the Media - Thread for Miscellaneous Articles

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 291
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 844 Posts

Default Roy Horn from Siegfried & Roy dies age 75.

Roy Horn, half of the famed Las Vegas magic and entertainment duo Siegfried & Roy, has died of complications related to the coronavirus, partner Siegfried Fischbacher said in a statement Friday. He was 75.

“Today, the world has lost one of the greats of magic, but I have lost my best friend,” Fischbacher said. “From the moment we met, I knew Roy and I, together, would change the world. There could be no Siegfried without Roy, and no Roy without Siegfried.”

Illusionists Siegfried and Roy recalled a special bond they had with superstar entertainer Michael Jackson.

In 1989, when the illusionists were preparing their Mirage performances that ran for 13 years, Michael Jackson loved to watch the rehearsals.

Siegfried asked Michael if he would come up with a theme song to be used for the show.

“As I was talking to him, I noticed he was tapping out a tune with his fingers,” Siegfried said.

Michael Jackson often attended their shows at The Mirage. Siegfried would introduce him to the audience.

“People would applaud and he would stand up and wave,” Siegfried said.

It was in Japan, where Siegfried and Roy performed for a year while The Mirage was being built, that the introduction of Michael caused a near riot.

“I introduced Michael and the fans went crazy,” Siegfried said. “People were jumping over barriers. We had to stop the show.”

Michael wrote a song for their show in 1989 called “Mind Is The Magic”

Rest in Peace Roy! The Magic never dies!

MJVibe
    Last edited by NatureCriminal7896; 09-05-2020 at 04:41 PM.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Mirroring Michael Jackson, A new documentary out on August 29.

“Mirroring Michael Jackson” is a documentary film honouring the King of Pop showcasing how Michael Jackson’s groundbreaking musical legacy has influenced performers of the past, present and future.

Sounds positive for once!

The film which is due for release on 29 August 2020 is going to be based on real-life events that happened during the course of Michael Jackson’s life and not the desensitised version.

The film presents cherished memories of Jackson via the collective voices of MJ’s friends, fellow recording artists and collaborators.

Michael Jackson’s talent and artistry is celebrated in the film with original musical performances in loving memory of the “King of Pop”.

Directed by Christopher Broughton. With Gabriella Wright, Ola Ray, Gladys Knight and many more.

It is unknown where the documentary will be showcased and as soon as we know we will let you know!

MJVibe

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Queen: How Michael Jackson Helped the Band Earn Their Biggest Hit

Queen might be the most beloved band of the 1970s. One of their most popular songs is “Another One Bites the Dust.” Interestingly, the inspiration for the track came from another band.

Queen didn’t make their music in a vacuum. “Another One Bites the Dust,” like many other Queen songs, was inspired by the work of another band – Chic.and interestingly Michael Jackson also had a major role in making the song a hit.

How another song inspired Queen’s ‘Another One Bites the Dust’
    John Deacon was Queen’s bassist. Not only did he have the privilege of being in Queen, he also got to hang around with another musical icon: Nile Rodgers of Chic. Deacon was in the room when Rodgers composed “Good Times,” one of Chic’s most indelible hits.

Rodgers said “Another One Bites the Dust” was an homage to “Good Times.” The two songs have very similar bass lines. Once you know one song influenced the other, it’s impossible not to notice the resemblance between the two.

Interestingly, “Another One Bites the Dust” became a number-one hit exactly one year after “Good Times” became a number-one hit. Did Chic have an issue with Queen taking inspiration from their music? No. Rodgers explained his influence on Queen to The Guardian, saying “Good composers borrow, great composers steal.” Another Chic member, Bernard Edwards, said he was alright with the fact that Queen took inspiration from his band.

However, the critical reaction to “Another One Bites the Dust” did irk Edwards. Many people assumed “Good Times” was inspired by “Another One Bites the Dust” rather than the other way around. According to The Billboard Book of Number-One Hits, Edwards said “‘Good Times’ came out more than a year before, but it was inconceivable to these people that black musicians could possibly be innovative like that. It was just these disco guys ripping off this rock ‘n’ roll song.” Luckily, in the modern era, people justly give Chic credit for inspiring “Another One Bites the Dust.”

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...gest-hit.html/

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Michael Jackson: Hall & Oates Said He Admitted He Stole 'Billie Jean' From Them

Michael Jackson was one of the biggest artists of the late 1970s and 1980s. Hall & Oates were perhaps the most iconic musical duo of the same era. However, for all their fans, Hall & Oates don’t seem to have as much of a cultural legacy as Jackson.

Or do they? Daryl Hall of Hall & Oates has discussed meeting Jackson. According to him, Jackson said he stole the baseline of “Billie Jean” from an obscure Hall & Oates track.

The origin of a Hall & Oates groove
    The New Yorker reports that Hall & Oates released their album Private Eyes in 1981. Private Eyes included a number-one single called “I Can’t Go for That (No Can Do).” The song doesn’t get lots of airplay today. However, it may have inspired a much more famous song.

Regardless of the song’s staying power, John Oates was proud of it. Oates told The Guardian the song’s groove was lightning in a bottle. “What can I say? It’s an amazing groove, but it was all a bit of a fluke how it happened. Daryl just hit that button!”

Michael Jackson meets Hall & Oates
    John Oates said he met Jackson following a Hall & Oates concert. Oates says Jackson was enamored with “I Can’t Go for That (No Can Do).” Oates recalled Jackson saying “I loved to dance to that song in my bedroom in front of the mirror.”

Hall would bump into Jackson as well during the creation of “We Are the World.” “We Are the World” still stands as one of the most famous celebrity team-ups of all time. If you were a music fan in the 1980s, it was very unlikely you didn’t like at least some of the artists on the track. One of the interesting things about it was that it gave Hall the opportunity to talk with Jackson.

Hall told Rolling Stone that Jackson admitted to stealing from him. He remembered Jackson saying “I hope you don’t mind. I stole the groove from ‘I Can’t Go for That’ for my song ‘Billie Jean.’”

Hall didn’t seem upset about this. He told Jackson “It’s all right, man, I just ripped the baseline off, so can you!” Hall didn’t say which song inspired the baseline of “I Can’t Go for That (No Can Do).” Furthermore, he told Jackson “Oh Michael, what do I care? You did it very differently.’”

At the same time, Hall noticed the similarity. “I can’t say I’d ever noticed but he was quite insistent. Of course, I went away and listened to ‘Billie Jean.’ And sure enough, it was our groove.” It doesn’t appear Jackson ever publicly commented on any perceived resemblance between the songs.

Does “I Can’t Go for That” have the same baseline as “Billie Jean?” Fans will have to decide if they think the two songs are particularly similar. However, many of Jackson’s fans like to listen to “I Can’t Go for That” to see if Jackson took inspiration from another song for his magnum opus.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...rom-them.html/

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 537
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,679 Times in 1,742 Posts

Default Re: Michael in the Media - Thread for Miscellaneous Articles

I'll omit the part of this article about TE Ross (after her anti-MJ acting role). The part about Threatened and the Rod SERLING 'rap' is interesting though.
    (not Rod Sterling - I wish journalists would CHECK FACTS). Also, I don't think the 'rap' on 'Threatened' came from 'many' episodes. It seems mainly related to the intro to the episode called 'It's a Good Life', which starts: 'Tonight's story on The Twilight Zone is somewhat unique and calls for a different kind of introduction'. ) But there may be another rap....?

Hitting ‘The High Note’: Producer Rodney Jerkins on Working With Tracee Ellis Ross, What Michael Jackson Taught Him

Having worked with some of the biggest names in pop and R&B, Jerkins thinks back to his experience with Michael Jackson on the “Invincible” album in 2000 and 2001 as a key moment in his own career in music. “He challenged me to dig deeper,” Jerkins reflects. “Michael [would say], ‘Go to the junkyard and hit on things and make sounds.’ There were a lot of 3 and 4 a.m. phone calls. ‘I need you to go to the studio for me.’ I’d be super tired. I would play songs over the phone and he’d say, ‘I need you to pan the hi-hats differently.’ Genius. How did he hear that over the phone?”

Jackson had a way of testing those who worked with him. Jerkins explains: “We were finishing the album and Michael wanted a song that could come out at Halloween. He had ‘Thriller,’ he had ‘Ghost’ — he always wanted spooky songs. He loved the track for the song ‘Threatened,’ only he said, ‘It’s missing Rod Sterling. I need Rod Sterling to rap on this.’ At first I’m thinking, ‘Is there some new rapper called Rod Sterling that I don’t know about?’ I said, ‘Elaborate, Michael.’ He said, ‘You know Rod Sterling from “The Twilight Zone.”‘ Five days later he says ‘Did you get Rod Sterling to rap on it yet?’ I said, ‘Michael, Rod Sterling is dead.’ He said, ‘Yeah but I still need him to rap on it.'”

Jerkins obtained VHS copies of every ‘Twilight Zone’ episode, deconstructed Rod Sterling’s voiceovers and built, with the help of a rapper, an eight-bar rap using the vocal snippets.

Jerkins continues: “Michael comes back in the studio and again, he says, ‘Did you ever get Rod Sterling to rap?’ I said ‘As a matter of fact I did.’ He looked at me as if to say, ‘You’re lying. There’s no way. I was just playing around with you!’ I pressed play and the joy that came on his face. It looked like he wanted to cry. He was so amazed that we got that done and that I took on that challenge and he loved it. It was sad it never came out [as a single] as he had big plans for that song.”

You could say the same of Jerkins’ future goals in the movie business. “I wanna go big,” he says. “Give me ‘Avatar 2’ or ‘Star Wars’ or ‘The Avengers.’ That’s what I would want.”

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/...on-1234615892/

Last edited by myosotis; 26-05-2020 at 05:24 PM.
    'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to myosotis For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 97.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,419 Times in 1,244 Posts

Magic Johnson Appeared On Michael Jackson’s “Remember The Time”
    By Carson Mack - May 29, 2020 21:10

Everyone remembers the popular song “Remember The Time” by the King of Pop. But, do you remember the stars that appeared on the music video? The scene was set in Egypt and featured appearances from Magic Johnson, Eddie Murphy, Iman, The Pharcyde, Tom Lister, and Wylie Draper! Magic played the Herald in the short film. He recalls the great memories of acting alongside Michael Jackson by saying, “That video was so funny. Michael Jackson is the most detail-oriented cat, most professional dude that you would ever want to work with.” Check out the short film below!

https://www.talkbasket.net/90764-mag...ember-the-time
    Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Why Michael Jackson’s Naomi Campbell Video Got Banned in South Africa
    Matthew Trzcinski
    May 31, 2020

Michael Jackson gave the world multiple iconic music videos. The video for “In the Closet” might not be as famous as the clips for “Beat It,” “Thriller,” or “Billie Jean.” However, it remains one of his most interesting videos.

Part of what makes the video notable is that it co-stars Naomi Campbell, one of the most famous fashion models of all time. In the video, Jackson and Campbell portray a relationship through dance. Although the clip garnered a positive reception from fans, it was actually banned in South Africa.

The history behind the ‘In the Closet’ video

Jackson originally wanted his song “In the Closet” to be a duet with Madonna. Madonna wanted the song to feature her and Jackson dressed in drag. This is because she wanted the video to “live up to” the song’s title, even though the track itself has absolutely nothing to do with the LGBTQ community. Jackson was not a fan of this idea and it was canned.

To create the final video, Jackson collaborated with Herb Ritts, a famous photographer. After photographing many celebrities for major magazines Vanity Fair and Vogue, Ritts had become a major music video director. Prior to working with Jackson, Ritts directed the iconic clips for Madonna’s “Cherish” and Chris Isaak’s “Wicked Game.”

Herb Ritts’ idea for the video

Ritts came up with another idea for the video. Ritts said the clip should feature Jackson dancing with Campbell, who was an extremely famous model at that point. His idea was used for the finished video. According to Jacksons: Number Ones, Jackson and Campbell were playful with each other on the set. The duo even got into a food fight with whipped cream. Imagine how much attention the pair would have gotten if there was footage of that!

The finished clip is similar to Ritss’ aforementioned videos in that it’s sensual and monochrome. However, it isn’t as complex as Jackson’s videos for “Black or White” or “Bad.” Ritts was going for simplicity. According to Michael Jackson Style, Ritts said “It’s really not about outrageous sets and 50 dancers this time. It’s really about bringing Michael’s energy out in a new way.”

The clips’ reception and Naomi Campbell’s memories of Michael Jackson

HAPPY BIRTHDAY. ALWAYS IN MY HEART. MISS YOU @MICHAELJACKSON. #FOREVERKINGOFPOP #BLACKEXCELLENCE #KING #TBT
    A post shared by Naomi Campbell (@naomi) on Aug 29, 2019 at 7:40pm PDT
    Naomi Campbell’s post honoring Michael Jackson

The clip was banned in South Africa for being too sexually provocative. The clip doesn’t include any nudity, but it does depict Campbell and Jackson dancing very close to each in a manner which is suggestive — albeit not too risque for modern television. The video’s ban just goes to show how times have changed since the early 1990s!

Regardless of the video’s reception in South Africa, Campbell had a positive view of Jackson. In 2019, she posted that she missed him on Instagram. She also said he would always remain in her heart.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...h-africa.html/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Thumbs up BAFTA: The nominees are… hypocrites, opportunists and liars!

The BAFTA have just announced their list of Nominees for 2020 and it is with great regret but no surprise that “Leaving Neverland” is nominated 3 times for “Director: Factual”, “Editor: Factual” and “Factual Series”.

It is really a disappointment that such institution will recognize such a monstrosity and call it “Factual”. I guess we have a different definition for that word!

We have decided to write to the BAFTA and here it is:

Dear BAFTA,
    As an institution of art and Entertainment, we look to you to guide us through the film and tv art. We look to you as a serious institution recognizing true artists and talents.

However, I cannot express how disappointed you have become since you are now guided by money and greed!

Factual Documentary: “Leaving Neverland” – SURE! Did you at least look at the authenticity of those behind this film? Did you check if they were actually telling the truth or just making a movie to be a sensation and grabbing as much money as possible?

People around the world have spend the whole 2019 debunking this so called documentary. All the documents and proofs are available for you to see and proving that this is NOT a documentary but based on lies of 2 individuals and guided by the greed of an opportunistic director!

An opportunist director, Dan Reed that you have a clear affiliation to, as you have always rewarded him with awards.

“Leaving Neverland” is against other true documentaries which shows that those involved were jailed for the crimes they have perpetrated. “Leaving Neverland” is going after a voiceless man that cannot prove his innocence.

And now you want to award those involved! Living in a “Fake News” society, where black men get judged without any proofs, BAFTA should have check the authenticity of this Dan Reed’s so called documentary.

But I guess your integrity is of no value to you. So it is clear that BAFTA has no value to me and to millions of people around the world!

Have fun in your little gathering and tapping each other on the back for doing a good job while true victims and oppressed people see you for what you are: hypocrites, opportunists and liars!

MJVibe

Feel free to contact the BAFTA and express your feelings:

T: +44 (0)20 7734 0022
    E: info@bafta.org

British Academy of Film and Television Arts
    195 Piccadilly
    London
    W1J 9LN

http://www.bafta.org/television/awards/tv-2020

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsThree FriendsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,498 Times in 1,588 Posts

BAFTA better know, things are going to be looked into deeper after George Floyd and blacks being accused and judged. Wont look good.
    Mike's PYT

13. The Following User Says Thank You to terrell For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default 'Dirty Diana' trends after Twitter poll asks fans to name their favorite Michael Jackson songs

A whole host of Michael Jackson hits were mentioned, including ones more appropriate for the Black Lives Matter movement like 'They Don't Care About Us' and 'Heal The World'

On the evening of Wednesday, June 3, a Michael Jackson fan account posted on Twitter, "On this day in 1988, Michael Jackson became the first artist ever to have 3 albums with U.S sales of more than 6 million copies each. What are your favorite tracks from these 3 timeless albums?" Another Twitter user called JayVersace also asked, "What’s y’all fav MJ songs. Top 3."

This sparked a wave of nostalgia and outpouring of love for Michael Jackson and his classic songs. Although the 50-year-old singer had his fair share of controversy during his lifetime and plenty more criticism leveled at him after his death for allegedly molesting young boys, it's clear that his music still remains a treasured part of many people's lives. Plenty of fans started posting their favorite Michael Jackson songs, and the sheer amount of posts caused his fiery song 'Dirty Diana' to start trending on Twitter, along with a host of others, like 'They Don’t Care About Us', 'Billie Jean', 'Remember The Time', 'Smooth Criminal', 'Human Nature', 'Earth Song', 'Heal The World', 'Man In The Mirror' and many more vintage hits.

Dirty Diana' received a ton of love on Twitter with one fan saying, "I mean talk about a man not being afraid to explore different genres, and executing it ... FLAWLESSLY. Dirty Diana is a masterpiece." Other fans clearly agreed, saying, "Dirty Diana hands down one of the best Michael Jackson songs." Another Twitter user noted, "I love the story about how MJ took 'Dirty Diana' out of the concert Princess Di was attending out of respect... to have her [Princess Diana] ask him if he was playing it. When he said "NO" she said, "that is my favorite song!" But there were plenty more MJ songs getting recognized on Twitter, as people paid tribute to the man who was known worldwide as the King of Pop.

One fan posted, "The moment when three Michael Jackson songs are trending on the same day when the Jackson 5 was also trending in the UK - 'Human Nature', 'Dirty Diana', 'Remember the Time'." Another MJ diehard said, "We’ve got 'Smooth Criminal', 'Billie Jean', 'Remember The time', 'Dirty Diana', 'Rock With You' and 'Human Nature' trending all in one night?! TURN THAT S*** UP." Another MJ chart account noted, "They Don’t Care About Us by Michael Jackson has gained 505,548 views past 24hrs. Followed by Billie Jean with 416,170 views & Smooth Criminal with 400,941 views. #KingOfPop."

However, plenty more users had a different MJ song in mind. "Dirty Diana? How about 'They Don’t Care About Us'! #BlackLivesMatter," wrote a fan. Another fan concluded, "Play Michael Jackson's "They Don't Care About Us" and "Heal the World" today. The media has constantly tried to ruin his numbers and now is the perfect time to support the man who endlessly supported the community. ♡" We couldn't agree more, especially considering the current climate we're living in right now, there really is a perfect Michael Jackson song for every occasion.

https://meaww.com/best-michael-jacks...-poll-trending

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NatureCriminal7896 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default China is gearing up celebrating Michael Jackson

It is known that Chinese fans are very active to show their supports to Michael Jackson.

In Wuhan, the city where the COVID-19 broke out first, an outside exhibition of Entertainment celebrities statues with animal heads is on display. Of course, Michael Jackson is represented with a dog head.

Also in the capital of China, fans are going to reveal a new statue of Michael Jackson. The Statue is very similar of the HIStory Statue.

It is not known where exactly this new statue will be placed in the capital but it will be unveiled in July.

Mjvibe

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Miscellaneous Michael J. Jackson - MMJJ

Jeff Lowe Says He’s Been 'Offered Michael Jackson’s Elephants' for His New Zoo

Jeff Lowe, one of the many memorable stars of Netflix's docu-series Tiger King, has 120 days to vacate the G.W. Exotic Animal Memorial Park in Wynnewood, Oklahoma — the private zoo previously owned by Joseph Maldonado-Passage, better known as "Joe Exotic."

..."Please don’t worry about our animals. As you saw on the Netflix documentary, I have been building the greatest Tiger Park the world has ever seen. Thanks to our loyal fans and customers, and the amazing people who work at the zoo, the new Tiger King Park is opening in Thackerville, Oklahoma this September, directly adjacent to the World’s Largest Casino, WinStar World Casino and Resort," wrote Lowe.

Among the expected bevy of big cats, Lowe said the Tiger King Park will house other animals as well. According to him, the new park has been offered some interesting residents.

"We're negotiating for giraffes right now, possibly Michael Jackson's elephants," Lowe shared.

Lowe said that he has been "offered Michael Jackson's elephants", which he says are currently being cared for by a man in Oregon after a stay at Florida's Jacksonville Zoo.

"They were at the Jacksonville Zoo in Florida for a while. And he contacted us. The lease ran out with the Jacksonville Zoo, and he was looking for a place to rehome them," Lowe added about the situation.

https://people.com/pets/tiger-king-j...son-elephants/
    'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]

18. The Following User Says Thank You to myosotis For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I just stumbled over a film review for a documentary that came out in December, called “No Lye: An American Beauty Story”. The article itself doesn’t mention MJ, but they posted a short video clip from the movie which includes a snippet of the Pepsi Street commercial. Watch it here:

It also says:

“Although it is a documentary, it was actually entertaining, especially with the music and television clips and read along with quotes and snippets. (Anything showing The Jackson 5 and Good Times is okay with me.)”

So, there seems to be some MJ in there. Has anyone here seen it?

Read the full review here:

https://eurweb.com/2019/12/03/extra-...istory-lesson/

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Spike Lee: 'Race relations today are a direct response to having a black president'
    Prior to the release of Da 5 Bloods, the director takes questions from readers, film-makers and politicians about George Floyd, Covid-19 and the worst thing about actors

Jackson, Tyson, Jordan: which Michael has been the greatest influence on you?

I’ve worked with all three and all three I consider good friends. I’ve been blessed.

Did you ever have political conversations with Michael Jackson? Was he knowledgeable and engaged about such things beyond a surface level?

Oh, Michael knew what was going on! Look at that film we made in Brazil: They Don’t Care About Us. It was an anthem when he was alive; it’s even more of one now. We had some deep conversations. He was very aware. All you have to do is listen to the music and read the lyrics. As a grown man, he’s not talking about ABC. He’s saying whole different stuff.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...lack-president

21. The Following User Says Thank You to myosotis For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by myosotis View Post
    Oh, Michael knew what was going on! Look at that film we made in Brazil: They Don’t Care About Us. It was an anthem when he was alive; it’s even more of one now. We had some deep conversations. He was very aware. All you have to do is listen to the music and read the lyrics. As a grown man, he’s not talking about ABC. He’s saying whole different stuff.
    There’s more real MJ in this one paragraph than in all of the British media in recent years. Love Spike Lee.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post: