Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Michael in the Media - Thread for Miscellaneous Articles

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 851 Posts

Default Re: Michael in the Media - Thread for Miscellaneous Articles

I live in US. yes it was still kind of an issue. but not at exactly. there was shows etc with black people. back in the day and still today we have our own magazines. it's nothing exactly racist about it. just have own magazines for us.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,449 Times in 1,261 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NatureCriminal7896 View Post
    I live in US. yes it was still kind of an issue. but not at exactly. there was shows etc with black people. back in the day and still today we have our own magazines. it's nothing exactly racist about it. just have own magazines for us.
    I think it is a big problem when white kids only see other white kids in the magazines they buy. That’s what creates the divide between “us” and “them”, and it also has a huge influence on the beauty ideals that the kids develop. I must say, I was shocked that this still was a thing over there in the late 80’s, early 90’s. I had no idea that it was this bad.

In contrast, when I flip through a Bravo or Pop Rocky magazine (both from Germany) from the same era, I see artists like Terence Trent d’Arby, Ziggy Marley, Seal, Whitney Houston etc. alongside MJ. It’s like a parallel universe, really.
    Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenOrigami View Post
    I think it is a big problem when white kids only see other white kids in the magazines they buy. That’s what creates the divide between “us” and “them”, and it also has a huge influence on the beauty ideals that the kids develop. I must say, I was shocked that this still was a thing over there in the late 80’s, early 90’s. I had no idea that it was this bad.

In contrast, when I flip through a Bravo or Pop Rocky magazine (both from Germany) from the same era, I see artists like Terence Trent d’Arby, Ziggy Marley, Seal, Whitney Houston etc. alongside MJ. It’s like a parallel universe, really.
    yeah. you had to buy magazines like Jet and Ebony in order to really get news about Michael, Whitney, Prince, etc. that still a problem today but it's somewhat better.
    Last edited by NatureCriminal7896; 10-07-2020 at 03:00 PM.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Why Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston Never Performed a Duet

A duet between Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston undoubtedly would have dominated the pop charts like few songs in history. Both Jackson and Houston stayed popular for many years and made music in the same genres. A duet between them probably would have worked musically and commercially. However, plans for a Jackson/Houston duet fell through twice.

The first aborted Michael Jackson/Whitney Houston duet

The story of why Jackson and Houston never collaborated begins with … Barbra Streisand. According to The Billboard Book of Number 1 Hits, Jackson wrote a ballad called “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You.” The track was included on his 1987 album Bad. He wanted it to be a duet between himself and Streisand. Jackson’s manager, Frank Dileo, said Streisand turned down the song simply because she didn’t like it.

Then, Jackson discussed performing “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” with Houston. According to Pop Crush, Houston’s label, Arista Records, thought that, if she performed on the song, it might detract from the promotion of her sophomore album, Whitney. Ultimately, a different singer duetted with Jackson on “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You:” Siedah Garrett. Interestingly, Garrett co-wrote another one of Jackson’s ballads called “Man in the Mirror” and performed backing vocals on it. Garrett remains known primarily for her work with Jackson to this day.

“I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” could have brought Garrett’s career into the stratosphere but it didn’t. Perhaps this is because Jackson never made a music video for the song. To this day, “I Just can’t Stop Loving You” doesn’t get as much airplay as other songs from Bad. However, many fans feel it is a beautiful ballad.

The duet where Michael Jackson was replaced with George Michael

Jackson and Houston came close to duetting together a second time. The book Michael Jackson: All the Songs says producer Rodney Jenkins later wrote a song for Jackson called “If I Told You That.” He wanted Jackson and Houston to record the song as a duet. Jackson initially liked the idea, but sources differ as to why he never recorded the song.

Michael Jackson: All the Songs says that, after news of the collaboration leaked, Jackson changed his mind about recording “If I Told You That.” However, Smooth Radio reports Jackson was simply unavailable to record the song. Regardless, he missed the opportunity to perform “If I Told You” with Houston.

Houston instead released a version of the song with a different 1980s pop icon: George Michael. According to AllMusic, Houston released the song on her 2000 album Whitney: The Greatest Hits. Billboard reports the song did not chart at all in the United States, which reflects how Houston was not as prominent as she was in the 1980s and 1990s. Perhaps “If I Told You That” would have performed better if Jackson had been on the track. Although Jackson and Houston never worked together, they still made lots of great music.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...d-a-duet.html/

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Why Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston Never Performed a Duet

A duet between Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston undoubtedly would have dominated the pop charts like few songs in history. Both Jackson and Houston stayed popular for many years and made music in the same genres. A duet between them probably would have worked musically and commercially. However, plans for a Jackson/Houston duet fell through twice.

The first aborted Michael Jackson/Whitney Houston duet

The story of why Jackson and Houston never collaborated begins with … Barbra Streisand. According to The Billboard Book of Number 1 Hits, Jackson wrote a ballad called “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You.” The track was included on his 1987 album Bad. He wanted it to be a duet between himself and Streisand. Jackson’s manager, Frank Dileo, said Streisand turned down the song simply because she didn’t like it.

Then, Jackson discussed performing “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” with Houston. According to Pop Crush, Houston’s label, Arista Records, thought that, if she performed on the song, it might detract from the promotion of her sophomore album, Whitney. Ultimately, a different singer duetted with Jackson on “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You:” Siedah Garrett. Interestingly, Garrett co-wrote another one of Jackson’s ballads called “Man in the Mirror” and performed backing vocals on it. Garrett remains known primarily for her work with Jackson to this day.

“I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” could have brought Garrett’s career into the stratosphere but it didn’t. Perhaps this is because Jackson never made a music video for the song. To this day, “I Just can’t Stop Loving You” doesn’t get as much airplay as other songs from Bad. However, many fans feel it is a beautiful ballad.

The duet where Michael Jackson was replaced with George Michael

Jackson and Houston came close to duetting together a second time. The book Michael Jackson: All the Songs says producer Rodney Jenkins later wrote a song for Jackson called “If I Told You That.” He wanted Jackson and Houston to record the song as a duet. Jackson initially liked the idea, but sources differ as to why he never recorded the song.

Michael Jackson: All the Songs says that, after news of the collaboration leaked, Jackson changed his mind about recording “If I Told You That.” However, Smooth Radio reports Jackson was simply unavailable to record the song. Regardless, he missed the opportunity to perform “If I Told You” with Houston.

Houston instead released a version of the song with a different 1980s pop icon: George Michael. According to AllMusic, Houston released the song on her 2000 album Whitney: The Greatest Hits. Billboard reports the song did not chart at all in the United States, which reflects how Houston was not as prominent as she was in the 1980s and 1990s. Perhaps “If I Told You That” would have performed better if Jackson had been on the track. Although Jackson and Houston never worked together, they still made lots of great music.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...d-a-duet.html/
    i really wish they did a duet. that would of been great. we only dream now.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default NBA PROSPECT CASSIUS STANLEY COPS INSANE MICHAEL JACKSON PENDANT ... Smooth Criminal Style!!!

NBA prospect Cassius Stanley just copped a new piece that would make the Gloved One proud -- a diamond pendant of Michael Jackson doing his iconic tilt from the "Smooth Criminal" music video!!

TMZ Sports has learned ... the projected 1st round pick in the 2020 NBA Draft hit up Clarity Custom Jewelry, a Black-owned business in L.A., to get himself a personal gift before jumping to the pros.

Jeweler Courtney Roy tells us the ex-Duke guard is a HUGE fan of the King of Pop ... so it was easy to decide what he wanted to get -- a pendant in the shape of Jackson's tilt pose from the 1988 music video!

You know what we're talking about ... about 7 minutes into the vid, MJ and his dancers defy gravity by leaning at a 45-degree angle. It's insane.

Roy tells us it took 3 different designs to get it right for the 20-year-old baller ... but ended up with a product that's decked out with white gold and 3 karats of VVS diamonds.

Roy -- who also designed jewelry for Shareef O'Neal and Patrick Beverley -- says this MJ piece is one of his favs and was thrilled (haha, MJ pun) to make it come together.

No word on how much the piece cost ... but the dude's just months away from cashing in ... so treat yo' self!!

Congrats!!

P.S. -- for those who didn't know, Jackson actually used a special shoe with a heel slot to help him achieve the move. Cheating? Kinda. Still dope.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/07/18/cassi...duke-prospect/

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Jesse Lingard quotes Michael Jackson in heartfelt message to Manchester United fans

Jesse Lingard says his personal struggles this season saw his game time limited at Manchester United.

The midfielder started just nine Premier League games and was also dropped by England after a loss of form that saw him fail to score in the top flight until injury-time on the final day of the season.

The 27-year-old revealed in December that he had taken on more responsibility for his siblings after his mother had become ill and had struggled with the burden.

Quoting Michael Jackson's Man in the Mirror on Instagram, he has now written: "I'm starting with the man in the mirror I'm asking him to change his ways."

He then wrote: "This season has been difficult for so many reasons. I lost who I was as a player and person, but I never wanted to give up, I knew who I really was on and off the pitch and knew that having been there before I could get there again.

"This meant working harder than I'd ever done before and trusting in those around me that they knew how to best help me achieve that.

"I know the fans have been frustrated but in all this time my love for this club and everyone connected to it has never left me.

"This team, this club is my family and I will continue to keep working harder than ever to help this team achieve its goals."

https://www.news24.com/sport/soccer/...-fans-20200729

View this post on Instagram

Im starting with the man in the mirror im asking him to change his ways. This season has been difficult for so many reasons. I lost who I was as a player and person, but I never wanted to give up, I knew who I really was on and off the pitch and knew that having been there before I could get there again. This meant working harder than I’d ever done before and trusting in those around me that they knew how to best help me achieve that. I know the fans have been frustrated but in all this time my love for this club and everyone connected to it has never left me. This team, this club is my family and I will continue to keep working harder than ever to help this team achieve its goals. ❤️🔴🙏🏾 #MUFamily

A post shared by JLingz👑 (@jesselingard) on

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

British metal magazine “Kerrang!” posted an interview with Slash, and of course he was asked – again – what it was like to work with MJ. Relevant snippet below. It doesn’t offer any new insights for us, but please do click through to support this kind of journalism. It’s also an interesting interview if you want to learn more about Slash.

Slash: “Guns N’ Roses Were A Gang That Walked Into A Room Like, ‘You Don’t Want To F*ck With Us’”
    Guns N’ Roses legend Slash revisits the early days, Donington, Michael Jackson and the power of rock’n’roll
    Words: Matt Allen

[…]

How did you end up working with Michael Jackson on the Dangerous album in 1991?

“Initially, it was a phone call from my manager where he said, ‘Michael is trying to get in touch with you,’ and I was like, ‘Wow.’ So I called him back and he wanted me to play on Dangerous. We made a date and I went down to the Record Plant in Hollywood and he was there with [actor] Brooke Shields. That was very surreal. These were two people that I’d sort of grown up with, in a way. So we hung out for two minutes and they went off to dinner and left me with this song. I did my thing, he really dug it and afterwards he kept asking me if I’d be into doing this, or doing that. I’d do some shows here and there and it was fun because he was such a pro, and he was such a ****ing talent from on high. That was the main thing: he was so amazingly musically fluid. Such a treat to be around.”

What was it like to hang out with him?

“Onstage, his whole professional thing was really where he clicked. When he wasn’t working, or in production or whatever, it was then you could see that he was sort of at the mercy of his own success. All the people he had around him, the tugging, and the yes people, you could tell that he knew 90 per cent of them were full of shit. I felt sorry for him in that sense. I did a couple of shows with Michael in Tokyo and saw how this whole massive ****ing thing worked, and he was the centre of it. The only time I really felt like he was in any kind of comfort zone was when he was actually onstage. Right after that, Guns came to town and did our shows and our success was massive, but it wasn’t as overwhelming as what Michael was going through. It was just an interesting light, looking at the two things and being careful about what you wished for.”

[…]

https://www.kerrang.com/features/sla...-f-ck-with-us/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Stephen King's Forgotten Michael Jackson Movie Explained

In 1996, Stephen King, the king of horror, teamed up with Michael Jackson, the king of pop, to create a music video/short film called Ghosts.

In 1996, Stephen King, the king of horror, teamed up with Michael Jackson, the king of pop, to create a music video/short film called Ghosts. Of all the people in pop culture for King to work with, Jackson seems kind of out of left field, at least on paper. The two don't exactly seem like they would've run in the same social circles. Yet collaborate they did, at least to an extent. Sadly, they didn't write a book together, although that would probably have been quite interesting too.

Perhaps the weirdest thing about the King and Jackson collaboration is how few people seem to remember it. Perhaps that's due to the same time period in the mid-1990s not being great for Jackson, as he dealt with his first of two very public trials on charges of child molestation, and was basically convicted in the court of public opinion despite being acquitted. While a large portion of Jackson's fanbase stayed loyal, it's impossible to deny that much of the 1990s was spent with Jackson as the butt of jokes related to his odd relationships with children.

That said, Jackson remains an iconic figure in pop culture history, as does King, and the fact that they worked together is worth remembering. Here's a look back at their joint project, Ghosts, and how it came about.

As Stephen King would discuss publicly following Michael Jackson's death in 2009, it was the king of pop that approached the author to work with him on Ghosts. Jackson had a story idea, and wanted King to write it. Ghosts would be both an extended music video for several of Jackson's songs, and a short horror film. Jackson called King to request his participation in 1993, while King was on the set of The Stand miniseries. King agreed, intrigued by writing a musical for the first time. King's pal and frequent collaborator Mick Garris was set to direct. Then, after a few weeks, production was suddenly halted, for reasons King isn't sure of.

Three years later, Jackson got Ghosts moving again, but Garris had to bow out, as he was busy directing King's TV remake of The Shining. Special effects legend Stan Winston took over as director. The music video/short film stars Jackson as a strange character called The Maestro, who the mayor of Normal Valley (also Jackson) wants to run out of town for supposedly doing something untoward with the local children. The Maestro proclaims his innocence, and challenges the mayor to a contest where the first to get scared loses. The mayor ends up running away after The Maestro turns into a demon, which is honestly a bit of an odd way to prove one isn't a threat.

As many have since pointed out, the storyline of Ghosts reads very oddly when one considers its parallels to Jackson's real-life issues with child abuse allegations. For King's part, he says what ultimately became the final product of Ghosts was pretty far from his original script, which makes sense, as King is only given a story credit on the finished film, with Winston and Garris credited for the screenplay. Those curious can check out the full 40-minute version of Ghosts on YouTube.

https://screenrant.com/stephen-king-...vie-explained/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NatureCriminal7896 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Stephen King's Forgotten Michael Jackson Movie Explained

In 1996, Stephen King, the king of horror, teamed up with Michael Jackson, the king of pop, to create a music video/short film called Ghosts.

In 1996, Stephen King, the king of horror, teamed up with Michael Jackson, the king of pop, to create a music video/short film called Ghosts. Of all the people in pop culture for King to work with, Jackson seems kind of out of left field, at least on paper. The two don't exactly seem like they would've run in the same social circles. Yet collaborate they did, at least to an extent. Sadly, they didn't write a book together, although that would probably have been quite interesting too.

Perhaps the weirdest thing about the King and Jackson collaboration is how few people seem to remember it. Perhaps that's due to the same time period in the mid-1990s not being great for Jackson, as he dealt with his first of two very public trials on charges of child molestation, and was basically convicted in the court of public opinion despite being acquitted. While a large portion of Jackson's fanbase stayed loyal, it's impossible to deny that much of the 1990s was spent with Jackson as the butt of jokes related to his odd relationships with children.

That said, Jackson remains an iconic figure in pop culture history, as does King, and the fact that they worked together is worth remembering. Here's a look back at their joint project, Ghosts, and how it came about.

As Stephen King would discuss publicly following Michael Jackson's death in 2009, it was the king of pop that approached the author to work with him on Ghosts. Jackson had a story idea, and wanted King to write it. Ghosts would be both an extended music video for several of Jackson's songs, and a short horror film. Jackson called King to request his participation in 1993, while King was on the set of The Stand miniseries. King agreed, intrigued by writing a musical for the first time. King's pal and frequent collaborator Mick Garris was set to direct. Then, after a few weeks, production was suddenly halted, for reasons King isn't sure of.

Three years later, Jackson got Ghosts moving again, but Garris had to bow out, as he was busy directing King's TV remake of The Shining. Special effects legend Stan Winston took over as director. The music video/short film stars Jackson as a strange character called The Maestro, who the mayor of Normal Valley (also Jackson) wants to run out of town for supposedly doing something untoward with the local children. The Maestro proclaims his innocence, and challenges the mayor to a contest where the first to get scared loses. The mayor ends up running away after The Maestro turns into a demon, which is honestly a bit of an odd way to prove one isn't a threat.

As many have since pointed out, the storyline of Ghosts reads very oddly when one considers its parallels to Jackson's real-life issues with child abuse allegations. For King's part, he says what ultimately became the final product of Ghosts was pretty far from his original script, which makes sense, as King is only given a story credit on the finished film, with Winston and Garris credited for the screenplay. Those curious can check out the full 40-minute version of Ghosts on YouTube.

https://screenrant.com/stephen-king-...vie-explained/
    They meant Dailymotion. awesome short film.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

German magazine “Stern” recalls MJ’s 1995 Wetten Dass performance. It has a somewhat ironic tone to it, but it’s overall positive and doesn’t mention any allegations.

(rough translation by Google Translate)

===

Moments of TV history

"I love you all" – and departure
    Michael Jackson on "Wetten, dass ..?"

03.08.2020, 10:35 a.m.

Michael Jackson on "Wetten, dass ..?": In 1995 the late superstar made a spectacular appearance on Thomas Gottschalk's program. The stage show is still unforgettable, the subsequent interview is a farce.

"Few of them are interested in me tonight." With these words Thomas Gottschalk appeared in front of the cameras on November 4th, 1995 in the Rhein-Ruhr-Halle in Duisburg. He had prominent guests for the 97th edition of "Wetten, dass ..?" Invited: Hiltrud and Gerhard Schröder, then Prime Minister of Lower Saxony, cabaret artist Rüdiger Hofmann, Austrian presenter Arabella Kiesbauer and musical author Andrew Lloyd Webber took a seat on the sofa. But they were all just accessories for what was to come: the appearance of a superstar.

Michael Jackson presented the world premiere of his "Earth Song" in Duisburg. The performance lasted 7 minutes and 40 seconds and is still unforgettable today. The staging was like that of an alien. A globe floated into the picture using computer animation, and then Jackson could be seen. With the green screen effect, it initially seemed as if he was not in the hall at all. Only after a minute did the person actually appear on the stage. Screech.

Michael Jackson's appearance cost one million Deutschmarks

Jackson ripped open his shirt and jumped onto a pallet truck that lifted him high into the hall. Wind machines and fog made the King of Pop seem to hover over a kind of jet engine. That his singing probably came off the assembly line with the whole roar - it doesn't matter. The brimborium cost a million deutschmarks. Jackson showed the Germans what really big pop looks like on TV.

The mandatory interview with Gottschalk was all the more poor after that. The showmaster actually wanted to get his superstar on the couch, but the management had thankfully turned it down in advance. Instead, they agreed on a skirmish on the edge of the stage. And this is how it went:

Michael Jackson: "I love you all."

Fans: (screech)

Jackson: "I love you all very much."

Fans: (increased screeching)

Thomas Gottschalk: "Do you like Germany?"

Jackson: "I love it."

And finish.

Almost 18 million television viewers saw the spectacle and gave "Wetten, dass ..?" one of the highest ratings in the history of the show. Shortly thereafter, the song was number one on our charts and stayed there for five weeks. To date, the "Earth Song" is the most successful Michael Jackson single in Germany. Even the later Chancellor Schröder was thrilled: "Now I can understand the enthusiasm for Jackson. He has something heart-warming."

===

They chose a nice photo and included a YouTube video of the performance.

https://www.stern.de/kultur/tv/micha...g-9356394.html