Weird Al Yankovic Drops Michael Jackson Parodies From Set List

NatureCriminal7896

Proud Member
The Grammy Award-winning humorist Weird Al Yankovic has dropped his pair of well-known Michael Jackson parodies — “Eat It” (“Beat It”) and “Fat” (“Bad”) from the set this time out, in the wake of HBO’s Leaving Neverland documentary and the controversy that followed. “I don’t know if that’s going to be permanent or not,” Yankovic tells Billboard, “but we just felt that with what’s happened recently with the HBO documentaries, we didn’t want anybody to feel uncomfortable. I felt I had enough fan favorites in the show that I could get away with it. I haven’t gotten a lot of pushback; There have been some people who have expressed disappointment, but we decided to err on the side of not offending people.”

It does, however, waive of him of the responsibility for putting on the oversized "Fat" suit during shows in the summer heat. "It's still in storage," Yankovic says, "so it may come back some day. We'll see.

"Meanwhile, Yankovic is enjoying the trek, inspired by his 2016 concerts at the Hollywood Bowl with the venue's orchestra. "It was just an overwhelming experience," Yankovic recalls. "I remember I got a little teary-eyed at one point, performing my Star Wars songs with this huge orchestra. I felt like I was inside the movie, and I told my manager afterwards, 'This is so great. Could we put together a whole tour like this?' And we managed to do it."

Don't expect to see him donning a tuxedo and waving a baton, though. "I'm going to have more respect for our actual conductor and let him do the job," he says.
The Strings Attached Tour is part of an eventful year for Yankovic -- coming 40 years after Dr. Demento gave him his first hit by playing "My Bologna" ("My Sharona") on his syndicated radio show. Coming on the heels of last year's "Hamilton Polka," Yankovic won his fifth Grammy Award earlier this year, for the art direction of his box set Squeeze Box. Besides the tour this year, Yankovic says he has another movie and TV show in development, though the parody songs are coming "at a much slower pace than I used to."

"I'll get back into it at some point," Yankovic promises. "Every now and then a song will capture the zeitgeist and I'll think, 'Oh, I should do something with this.' Then I think, 'Eh, well maybe not.' I don't feel compelled to be as obsessed with the Billboard charts as I used to be. If a great idea strikes I'll certainly take advantage of it, but I'm not forcing myself to be creative, which I have done a few times in the past."
What do you think of Al’s decision?

Express your feeling to Al directly on Twitter. https://twitter.com/alyankovic

https://www.billboard.com/articles/...tiu31ammI_MRtNJQXuiMx-croW3fPUK9H-2LklAZpiHMY

If this in the wrong thread please move it.

Last edited:
NatureCriminal7896;4261458 said:
The Grammy Award-winning humorist Weird Al Yankovic has dropped his pair of well-known Michael Jackson parodies — “Eat It” (“Beat It”) and “Fat” (“Bad”) from the set this time out, in the wake of HBO’s Leaving Neverland documentary and the controversy that followed. “I don’t know if that’s going to be permanent or not,” Yankovic tells Billboard, “but we just felt that with what’s happened recently with the HBO documentaries, we didn’t want anybody to feel uncomfortable. I felt I had enough fan favorites in the show that I could get away with it. I haven’t gotten a lot of pushback; There have been some people who have expressed disappointment, but we decided to err on the side of not offending people.”

It does, however, waive of him of the responsibility for putting on the oversized "Fat" suit during shows in the summer heat. "It's still in storage," Yankovic says, "so it may come back some day. We'll see.

"Meanwhile, Yankovic is enjoying the trek, inspired by his 2016 concerts at the Hollywood Bowl with the venue's orchestra. "It was just an overwhelming experience," Yankovic recalls. "I remember I got a little teary-eyed at one point, performing my Star Wars songs with this huge orchestra. I felt like I was inside the movie, and I told my manager afterwards, 'This is so great. Could we put together a whole tour like this?' And we managed to do it."

Don't expect to see him donning a tuxedo and waving a baton, though. "I'm going to have more respect for our actual conductor and let him do the job," he says.
The Strings Attached Tour is part of an eventful year for Yankovic -- coming 40 years after Dr. Demento gave him his first hit by playing "My Bologna" ("My Sharona") on his syndicated radio show. Coming on the heels of last year's "Hamilton Polka," Yankovic won his fifth Grammy Award earlier this year, for the art direction of his box set Squeeze Box. Besides the tour this year, Yankovic says he has another movie and TV show in development, though the parody songs are coming "at a much slower pace than I used to."

"I'll get back into it at some point," Yankovic promises. "Every now and then a song will capture the zeitgeist and I'll think, 'Oh, I should do something with this.' Then I think, 'Eh, well maybe not.' I don't feel compelled to be as obsessed with the Billboard charts as I used to be. If a great idea strikes I'll certainly take advantage of it, but I'm not forcing myself to be creative, which I have done a few times in the past."
What do you think of Al’s decision?

Express your feeling to Al directly on Twitter. https://twitter.com/alyankovic

https://www.billboard.com/articles/...tiu31ammI_MRtNJQXuiMx-croW3fPUK9H-2LklAZpiHMY

If this in the wrong thread please move it.

These people are really desperate. Did Weird AL do this just recently or months ago. MSM saw how Michael was honored on June 25 and how their Mute MJ did NOT work. Now in their desperation, they are trying to save face and come up with BS articles which mean absolutely nothing in diminishing Michael’s legacy. Don’t allow these idiots to manipulate you into thinking otherwise. It’s propaganda that MSM has been doing for 40+ years.

somewhereinthedark;4261460 said:
These people are really desperate. Did Weird AL do this just recently or months ago. MSM saw how Michael was honored on June 25 and how their Mute MJ did NOT work. Now in their desperation, they are trying to save face and come up with BS articles which mean absolutely nothing in diminishing Michael’s legacy. Don’t allow these idiots to manipulate you into thinking otherwise. It’s propaganda that MSM has been doing for 40+ years.
Bingo. And Tuesday celebration proved all love for MJ. And to Al, you are ALWAYs going to offend. Now look by not doing MJ will offend. Ask Q.

Personally, I really don't care what Weird Al decides to do with his "show." Sorry but ain't nobody out there checking for Weird Al.

After what we all witnessed on June 25, 2019 and the UNIVERSAL LOVE we saw on display for Michael Jackson, in my opinion, Weird Al is just one leaf, amongst a bunch of trees.

P.S. It doesn't even seem like Weird Al made this decision for himself. The decision was most likely made by his "people," because of WHOM his audience is. When nobody is looking, those 2 songs will be added right back into Weird Al's rotation. Mark My Words!!!

Personally, I really don't care what Weird Al decides to do with his "show." Sorry but ain't nobody out there checking for Weird Al.

After what we all witnessed on June 25, 2019 and the UNIVERSAL LOVE we saw on display for Michael Jackson, in my opinion, Weird Al is just one leaf, amongst a bunch of trees.

P.S. It doesn't even seem like Weird Al made this decision for himself. The decision was most likely made by his "people," because of WHOM his audience is. When nobody is looking, those 2 songs will be added right back into Weird Al's rotation. Mark My Words!!!

I agree. FTR, who cares about or what Weird AL is doing? Again, I ask the question, did Weird Al do this months ago, or since June 25t? Billboard and other MSM media are DESPERATELY digging up old articles to try and diminish the overwhelming outpouring of love and support that was evident WORLDWIDE on June 25th. These morons never expected to see that and now they are desperately flailing around trying to find any little thing. Pathetic!!

I agree. FTR, who cares about or what Weird AL is doing? Again, I ask the question, did Weird Al do this months ago, or since June 25t? Billboard and other MSM media are DESPERATELY digging up old articles to try and diminish the overwhelming outpouring of love and support that was evident WORLDWIDE on June 25th. These morons never expected to see that and now they are desperately flailing around trying to find any little thing. Pathetic!!

I have no idea, but I will say this: I would not be surprised if Billboard called up Weird Al, knowing that he covers MJ's songs, and asked him if he is STILL performing said songs.

Although Weird Al has been around for a minute, he is certainly no Superstar, and a call like that could certainly rattle the cage of him and/or his people. Especially as I said previously, knowing who his TARGET AUDIENCE is. And like you said, "the media is desperate."

Sorry Media, but on June 25th: THE PEOPLE SPOKE AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT!!!!!!

Disclaimer: The only songs I know that Weird Al performs, are the MJ's songs. I certainly know him, but I don't really know any of his other songs. Sorry Weird Al. LOL.

I wanna tell Weird Al about how I feel about his decision, but I can’t, because my Twitter account is still locked and I’m about to hate it if I don’t find a way to unlock it and get it back with that stupid phone number verification.

Weird Al

Sorry but ain't nobody out there checking for Weird Al.
If nobody is checking for Al, how can he have a tour in the first place? :laughing: Al's first single came out around 1979. He's lasted longer than a lot of the acts he made parodies of. His most known parody is White And Nerdy, and he's even done a Epic Rap Battles Of History and ERB videos are really popular.

Re: Weird Al

If nobody is checking for Al, how can he have a tour in the first place? :laughing: Al's first single came out around 1979. He's lasted longer than a lot of the acts he made parodies of. His most known parody is White And Nerdy, and he's even done a Epic Rap Battles Of History and ERB videos are really popular.

Oh Please!!!

Aside from THIS article, when was the last time you heard ANYTHING regarding Weird Al in the News, Blogs, Twitter Trending, Instagram, Facebook, etc.? Unless, of course, you are a fan, then you would know everything about him and what he's been up to. LOL.

The article posted above, is the first time I've heard ANYTHING regarding Weird Al in a dog's age and I'm sure I'm not alone in that assessment.

Oh Please!!!

Aside from THIS article, when was the last time you heard ANYTHING regarding Weird Al in the News, Blogs, Twitter Trending, Instagram, Facebook, etc.? Unless, of course, you are a fan, then you would know everything about him and what he's been up to. LOL.

The article posted above, is the first time I've heard ANYTHING regarding Weird Al in a dog's age and I'm sure I'm not alone in that assessment.
The old I don't listen to it, so nobody else does either. People on this site say they don't know Garth Brooks & Drake. Garth has 7 albums that went diamond in the US, nobody else has done that. Not Mike, The Beatles, Eagles, Madonna, Bon Jovi, Mariah Carey, etc. If nobody knows Weird Al, then how come his videos on Youtube has many millions of views. Why would the media be talking about Al a lot? The mainstream media mostly focuses on bad news and dirt. That's why people watch TMZ & Wendy Williams or look at the Lipstick Alley site. Notice the media wasn't really talking about Bill Cosby until the allegations against him started to happen. They talk about a feud between Taylor Swift & Nicki Minaj. Al doesn't have any scandals. If being mentioned a lot is criteria for you, then I guess you must like the Kardashian family. Hardly a day goes by without one of them being talked about on TV. They became a thing because of Kim's sex tape. So a scandal made her famous.

In all honesty, I understand WHY he did it. I personally don't think he agrees with anything that's been going on in regards to LN. However, Yes, he's still around, has his own hugely successful Disney show, has a pretty decent fanbase, and has kept his MJ Songs in his setlists up until literally a week ago. He's actually gotten some flack from his OWN fans about removing the MJ parodies. Nevertheless, it's the same reason why Drake removed his MJ collab from his shows. More along the lines of not offending anyone, rather than completely disowning MJ and his legacy. The neutral route. Yes, it's career protection ultimately, but hey, he's gotta eat too. I don't have a problem with the guy

The old I don't listen to it, so nobody else does either. People on this site say they don't know Garth Brooks & Drake. Garth has 7 albums that went diamond in the US, nobody else has done that. Not Mike, The Beatles, Eagles, Madonna, Bon Jovi, Mariah Carey, etc. If nobody knows Weird Al, then how come his videos on Youtube has many millions of views.

Hey watch your mouth!! I FREAKIN LOVE GARTH BROOKS!!!!!! LOL. That's my mans!

I never said that NOBODY KNOWS Weird Al. I said: Nobody is check for Weird Al. There's a difference.

The rest of your hypothesis is moot at this point.

In all honesty, I understand WHY he did it. I personally don't think he agrees with anything that's been going on in regards to LN. However, Yes, he's still around, has his own hugely successful Disney show, has a pretty decent fanbase, and has kept his MJ Songs in his setlists up until literally a week ago. He's actually gotten some flack from his OWN fans about removing the MJ parodies. Nevertheless, it's the same reason why Drake removed his MJ collab from his shows. More along the lines of not offending anyone, rather than completely disowning MJ and his legacy. The neutral route. Yes, it's career protection ultimately, but hey, he's gotta eat too. I don't have a problem with the guy
Most people became fans of Al due to the MJ parodies. I do not think he got flack from REAL fans of his. It is probably trolls pretending to be fans. Agains, AL great success was due to MJ but even reading this articles, no one is bothering him in doing the song.

Last edited:

Hey watch your mouth!! I FREAKIN LOVE GARTH BROOKS!!!!!! LOL. That's my mans!

I never said that NOBODY KNOWS Weird Al. I said: Nobody is check for Weird Al. There's a difference.

The rest of your hypothesis is moot at this point.
How is that? How often do people with squeaky clean images or scandal free lives get talked about in the media? Even this story is indirectly about dirt, not really about Al himself, but about Mike's accusations. It's doubtful that if Al removed parodies by New Kids On The Block or Robin Thicke from his show, that it would have gotten much attention. Even if it did, it wouldn't have been posted here. This is only a story because of the media long being anti-Jackson. Janet was blacklisted for years, but Justin Timberlake blew up and was even invited back to do the 2018 Superbowl halftime show.

How is that? How often do people with squeaky clean images or scandal free lives get talked about in the media? Even this story is indirectly about dirt, not really about Al himself, but about Mike's accusations. It's doubtful that if Al removed parodies by New Kids On The Block or Robin Thicke from his show, that it would have gotten much attention. Even if it did, it wouldn't have been posted here. This is only a story because of the media long being anti-Jackson. Janet was blacklisted for years, but Justin Timberlake blew up and was even invited back to do the 2018 Superbowl halftime show.

So true. He is talking about other stuff yet the headline is about AL removing MJ parody. Media mad their trash did not hurt MJ after a great celebrations this week. And really, who is going to read this about Al. Again, if I was not on here, I would have never read it nor cared

So true. He is talking about other stuff yet the headline is about AL removing MJ parody. Media mad their trash did not hurt MJ after a great celebrations this week. And really, who is going to read this about Al. Again, if I was not on here, I would have never read it nor cared
I wouldn't know it either. I don't understand the point of people looking for articles like this and reposting it here. They're clicking on these sites which gives the site attention and likely getting money from it. Free publicity. Like I said a lot of people want negativity, so the media is only giving the audience what they want.

I wouldn't know it either. I don't understand the point of people looking for articles like this and reposting it here. They're clicking on these sites which gives the site attention and likely getting money from it. Free publicity. Like I said a lot of people want negativity, so the media is only giving the audience what they want.
He is going to "offend" people MORE by not playing MJ than playing. Those paradies is what made him more than the rest.

He is going to "offend" people MORE by not playing MJ than playing. Those parodies is what made him more than the rest.
Maybe, but a lot of people who are only fans of MJ and not Weird Al were not going to see Al anyway. There's many Al fans who weren't born when Eat It & Fat were released, but were around for more recent stuff. Eat It made Al more mainstream popular, but he's not only known for that. His career couldn't have lasted for over 35 years with only the 2 Jackson songs. A lot of his parodies from the 2000s are from hip hop hits which are probably more relevant for younger fans that grew up with the original versions, than the 1980s ones they didn't (I Lost On Jeopardy, Like A Surgeon).

Exactly this! I highly doubt he believes any of the BS out there; he's just trying to stay on the safe side. (And, like others have said, it was probably his publicity people, not him as an individual, who made this decision.) Remember that right after LN came out, he spoke in favor of Michael. I will say that I'm a big Weird Al fan, and I'm disappointed that he did this, but something tells me he'll put the MJ songs back after a while.

I only remember watching "Eat it" and "Fat" once in my life as part of an MJ Documentery in the 90ies and never had interest to watch it again!
Without this article I would not know the name of the artist!
I liked " Badder" much more.

Last edited:
Oh shoot, and I just saw that he got rid of any references on his Twitter! His description used to say "You know... the Eat It guy" and now it says "You know... the weird one." I don't understand why now all of a sudden.

This is an unfortunate development.

Entertainers will do what is best for themselves and their brand. I respect that.

I do not follow Weird Al and his career, so I don't need to kick him out of my life. LOL. This is just sad and disappointing for me. Sigh.

And I hope that fans are not going to bombard his Twitter feed with a lot of mean attacks. I find it demeans us and puts both us and Michael in a bad light.

He has made a choice. We can now choose to not support his work anymore (if we used to before) and leave it at that.

Maybe, but a lot of people who are only fans of MJ and not Weird Al were not going to see Al anyway. There's many Al fans who weren't born when Eat It & Fat were released, but were around for more recent stuff. Eat It made Al more mainstream popular, but he's not only known for that. His career couldn't have lasted for over 35 years with only the 2 Jackson songs. A lot of his parodies from the 2000s are from hip hop hits which are probably more relevant for younger fans that grew up with the original versions, than the 1980s ones they didn't (I Lost On Jeopardy, Like A Surgeon).
I am sure but I also doubt those "current" fans of his are all of sudden is not going to want him to do MJ's stuff. MJ stuff still outweights the others stuff when seen. even he admits in this article he has got no backlash. I still think he or whoever is jumping to conclusion as Q did but hey, I want to hear how Al show are doing afterward when he does this. U can believe it wont be long before he puts it back.

Oh shoot, and I just saw that he got rid of any references on his Twitter! His description used to say "You know... the Eat It guy" and now it says "You know... the weird one." I don't understand why now all of a sudden.
well, that was a reference toward MJ as well by some from the 'gloved one" term.

people shouldn't be afraid to speak out for Michael. if they knew Michael and was friends with him i wouldn't be afraid. i don't care if loose people,friends,followers,watchers etc. BECAUSE I KNOW THAT HE IS INNOCENT AND ALWAYS WAS AND IS. i would just let those people figure it out themselves or just look at them like their stupid. :laughing:

NatureCriminal7896;4261524 said:
people shouldn't be afraid to speak out for Michael. if they knew Michael and was friends with him i wouldn't be afraid. i don't care if loose people,friends,followers,watchers etc. BECAUSE I KNOW THAT HE IS INNOCENT AND ALWAYS WAS AND IS. i would just let those people figure it out themselves or just look at them like their stupid. :laughing:
If the media is out for dirt, it's less likely they're going to make big headlines or articles from any defenders. Nor will as many people read it. A celebrity dying from a drug overdose will be covered more than one passing from a heart attack or old age. John Lennon getting shot is a bigger news story then George Harrison passing from cancer. People make jokes about Elvis Presley dying on the toilet and that Keith Richards & Ozzy Osbourne managed to outlive many other artists. The media and the general public looking for gossip is how Princess Diana died. It's like what Big Boi says in the OutKast song Hollywood Divorce:

Now could we make a difference
Antwan Patton and André Benjamin
Been jammin' for you crabbing rap n- and journalists
That's quick to misprint public and private business
Then retract back for deaf ears and think it's dismissed

Part two the sequel all new 'Kast
Just ain't the same gang of nerds on the internet
Slandering your name behind that screen name
They're lame and their life is pretty plain

Back