When was the first time Michael came into your lives

Alh21

Proud Member
I first heard Michael in the early 80s, Im not 100% sure which song it was but I do remember i was blown away by his voice, I was hooked after that, I lived and breathed Michael Jackson from that day forward, my whole bedroom walls were covered in his posters and news articles, there wasn't one inch of wall that wasn't covered, I remember sitting in front of the TV waiting for the first viewing of Thriller and I think it was shown at midnight, I never took my eyes of the TV the whole time it was on, I even recorded it, not forgetting of cause that we didn't have the Internet then so watching him perform was a massive treat, I was extatic when I had saved up enough money to actually go and buy Thriller on VHS cause it also had the bonus of the making of Thriller, I must have wore that tape out, nearly 40 years down the line and I still love this man that brought so much joy and happiness in to my life ??

My earliest memory of music was Michael Jackson himself, literally! I was around 4-5 years old and I remember seeing this cute young man singing his heart out and doing unbelievable dance moves in an orange jacket (it was the thriller video). From that moment on I was hooked 😍😍. I didn’t actually get my first MJ album (thriller) until I was around 8 or 9 years old though. MJ has always had my heart and always will. The things he gifted us with in his lifetime and beyond, will never be forgotten and I’m grateful everyday that he is my idol 😇🙌🏻.

I can't imagine a world without Michael ever being in it, I thank God for blessing us with one of his angels

First video was from Thriller... Don't remember which... I remember 3 years old asking my mom who this brother is... Michael Jackson! Man I was hooked. It was the magic that completely encapsulated me... I remember, whenever he came up on TV... I stood still like a statue, eyes open total wide... And it was JUST amazing.

I started watching MTV when it first came out in 1981. I was only three years old. How does a 3-year-old start watching MTV? It's easy when you are living with two teenaged uncles and the television is always on. It was a combination of Sesame Street, He-Man, Diff'rent Strokes, Dynasty, and MTV for me. Billie Jean, Beat It, Thriller, were my first Michael Jackson videos in 1982-1983. Then came Say Say Say and We Are The World. MTV would later add Rock With You, Don't Stop Till You Get Enough, and She's Out Of My Life from 1979's Off The Wall to their rotation. I still remember watching the news and seeing Michael Jackson arriving at the hospital after his head got burned.

I saw the short version of Ghosts around 2000. That was the first video I remember seeing. I didn't listen Michael's music back then.

Last edited:
Well for me I been a fan of his ever since I first saw those Jackson 5 cartoons back when I was 4 years old. This was back in 1984. Michael was always my favorite on those cartoons. But it was just an year later was when I was watching the tv show Evening Magazine was when I got to really experience him. The American tv show Evening Magazine which was like an earlier form of the American tv show Inside Edition. And I remember they did a story about Michael Jackson mania. And I remember really loving the story. And thought it was so awesome to be a fan of someone this famous. But also back in 1985 I always saw myself as more of a Madonna fan than an MJ fan. They were both my number 1 favorite singers at the time. But it was the Bad era was when I started to become the MJ fan that I am now. It was seeing the Bad video in 1988. That totally change that for me. Not only did I had a huge mad crush on him at the time. I also notice that he suffer from a skin disorder just like I did. And it was just so awesome knowing that I had something in common with my idol. And I wasn't the only one in the world that has a skin disorder. Like I thought I did at the time. And of course in the 90s he became my total obsession. I remember back when I was in high school you seriously did not want to mess with me when it cam to him. It wasn't easy being the only MJ fan in a school full of MJ haters.

I think it was early 1992 and I was (almost) 10 years old, Pepsi was running some kind of "singing competition" via a phone line here in NL where you needed to sing "Remember the time" and you could win VIP tickets to the concert in De Kuip, Rotterdam. I won 2 tickets, went to the concert where I was sitting amongst famous NL VIP people (some football players I remember) and the rest is history. Never was able to meet & greet Michael but was able to at least see him live twice in NL. Dangerous & HIStory tour. Bought TII tickets for London as well.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Summer 1983, at the beach in France, Billie Jean, beat it, say say say on the radios all days long.

The episode of Martin where Michael whoops his ass...i was fixated with him ever since. I was 4 years old. It was the magic.i know it wasn't the real him but something came over me that day

It was the summer of 1996 the song was TDCAU everyday on the radio it was insane when it comes i turn the volume louder specially the guitar intro i loved the energy in his voice he was different music voice every thing then i started buying any cassette tapes MJ's on its cover i still have them till now

I think it was early 1992 and I was (almost) 10 years old, Pepsi was running some kind of "singing competition" via a phone line here in NL where you needed to sing "Remember the time" and you could win VIP tickets to the concert in De Kuip, Rotterdam. I won 2 tickets, went to the concert where I was sitting amongst famous NL VIP people (some football players I remember) and the rest is history. Never was able to meet & greet Michael but was able to at least see him live twice in NL. Dangerous & HIStory tour. Bought TII tickets for London as well.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Its one of my biggest regrets not going to one of MJs concerts, I always thought he would be around forever, how wrong could I be :cry:

wonderouzmj;4268972 said:
The episode of Martin where Michael whoops his ass...i was fixated with him ever since. I was 4 years old. It was the magic.i know it wasn't the real him but something came over me that day
……………..
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/zY1tpIp7TdtO8" width="480" height="320" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/michael-jackson-zY1tpIp7TdtO8"></a></p>

I had 'Thriller' and 'HIStory: Past, Present and Future: Book I' when I was in 8th grade / Freshman in high-school. Although I wasn't a huge fan, and I didn't listen to his music much at that time, I still thought his stuff was amazing. 2 years later I decided to learn more about his discography, and here I am :blush:

I was 11yo. MJ came to Japan and started BAD tour which was broadcast on TV (Yes Bad tour Yokohama stadium). My mum recorded it on VHS because she was curious about the man everyone was talking about. I watched it before my mum did and that was it. I was hit by his magic, his energy, his charisma, and his smile stole my heart!!!! Eventually my mum watched and experienced exactly the same, we both became huuuuuuuge fans, and we still are to this day :)

I remember coming home from School and hearing P.Y.T on the radio [my dad had a CD] and I was immediately surprised by the distinct sound it had and Michael's range. Later that year, we were celebrating Christmas and we played some Jacksons classics. I then put the two together and realized it was Michael when he was younger. The rest, as they say, was history. I unfortunately never got to see him live in person, but I DID get to see the this is it rehearsal footage via YouTube at the time.

First became aware of Michael Jackson in I think 1993ish. I was about 6, we used to watch Moonwalker. My dad introduced us to it. My mum had a cassette with One day in your life on. I listened to the Bad album on vinyl wearing huge headphones. Spent most of my childhood believing Michael was actually magic and could turn into the car and robot. Thought he spent his days in the Smooth Criminal outfit :ROFLMAO:Didn't become a superfan 'til 2001 when You Rock My World came out and I bought Invincible with Christmas money.

I remember as a young kid having the Thriller album on cassette but I was no big fan back then.
That all changed when buying the Bad album on 31 august 1987.

Was that TOTP, wend?
yeah how did u know that zin?
unless ive wrote it, i have ianswred many these threads with the same answer haha
[like it's going to magically change , and say bad tour, thriller, or something earlier:ROFLMAO: but nope, i was a dangerous kid onwards-

I remember as a young kid having the Thriller album on cassette but I was no big fan back then.
That all changed when buying the Bad album on 31 august 1987.
yeah see all my friends were doing this. i wasn't
such a late starter

Last edited:
yeah how did u know that zin?
Are you kidding me? 7.30pm? We all built our lives around 7.30pm on a Thursday. As a child and as a teenager, TOTP and the Sunday chart rundown ruled my entire life, lol. Excitement city! :D

[...] but nope, i was a dangerous kid onwards-
Oh, I have no doubt that you were a dangerous kid. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I always knew of him and liked what I heard from him but I didn't really have a reason to get into him as I was quite young. Then he passed away and that's when I became really obsessed with everything about him. I still remember how in awe his music videos made me feel. Just oozing coolness lol.

Even though I wasn't what I'd consider a hardcore fan when he passed I still had this feeling that something that had always been there was gone. He permeated all media and culture and I think that's the reason.

My mom was a huge fan and she is the same age as Michael. So I started to notice him when I was about 5 years old or so in 1987. My dad used to wait for Thriller to come on TV on Halloween and would encourage me and my sister to watch. I was mesmerized but scared at the same time lol and I used to stare at the Bad album all the time because I just thought he was soooo cool and interesting looking.

I really started to notice him around 1993 when my mom taped the Oprah interview. I watched it over and over again and asked my mom if I could see him in concert and when I asked her this it was around the time of the allegations - I was only 11 years old so I had no idea what any of it meant. But my mom reassured me that she believed he was innocent. I really started listening to the Dangerous album around this time as my mom had recently bought it. I was able to experience the launch of the HIStory and Invincible albums.

He has always been a part of my life so to this day it still hurts when I think of the fact that he is gone. He was truly magical to me.

Last edited:
Back