John Landis

Someone needs to do a group interview... Jerry Kramer, John Landis, and Ola Ray all together.

Last edited:
I lost all the respect for John Landis after I read about the movie Twilight Zone where the protagonist and two children were killed while shooting a scene and Landis was the biggest responsible.
I don't understand why Michael hired him not for one but TWO video after what happened.
Don't forget also that Landis sued him for royalties over the Thriller video.

Last edited:
Jackson Rules;4270741 said:
I don't understand why Michael hired him not for one but TWO video after what happened.

For the ‘Black Or White’ music video, John Landis was hired (in order to direct it) by the Propaganda Agency, not by Michael Jackson.

The Propaganda Agency had signed a contract with Sony Music for producing all the music videos from the ‘Dangerous’ album.

When the time for the making of that music video was approaching, Michael Jackson was having fun on trips with various children (including, Macaulay Culkin), instead of focusing on his work which at that time was the shooting of that music video.

So, Propaganda Agency hired John Landis (to direct it) because the Agency was aware that John Landis was a man who knew very well and personally Michael Jackson (because of their collaboration on the ‘Thriller’ music video) and thus the director would be able to get him to focus.

John Landis got Michael Jackson to focus on the making of the ‘Black Or White’ music video and the shooting eventually began.

mj_frenzy;4270770 said:
For the ‘Black Or White’ music video, John Landis was hired (in order to direct it) by the Propaganda Agency, not by Michael Jackson.

The Propaganda Agency had signed a contract with Sony Music for producing all the music videos from the ‘Dangerous’ album.

When the time for the making of that music video was approaching, Michael Jackson was having fun on trips with various children (including, Macaulay Culkin), instead of focusing on his work which at that time was the shooting of that music video.

So, Propaganda Agency hired John Landis (to direct it) because the Agency was aware that John Landis was a man who knew very well and personally Michael Jackson (because of their collaboration on the ‘Thriller’ music video) and thus the director would be able to get him to focus.

John Landis got Michael Jackson to focus on the making of the ‘Black Or White’ music video and the shooting eventually began.

Source?

It's hard to believe that Michael didn't have any involvement on choosing the directors for his short films considering how perfectionist he was.
Anyway, leaving aside Black Or White, why Landis was chosen for Thriller when the Twilight Zone accident occurred only one year before the Thriller video? Was Michael aware of this accident?

Themidwestcowboy;4270969 said:

The information comes from the book ‘Michael Jackson: All the Songs: The Story Behind Every Track’ (by François Allard, Richard Lecocq) that came out in 2018.

Jackson Rules;4271007 said:
It's hard to believe that Michael didn't have any involvement on choosing the directors for his short films considering how perfectionist he was.
Anyway, leaving aside Black Or White, why Landis was chosen for Thriller when the Twilight Zone accident occurred only one year before the Thriller video? Was Michael aware of this accident?

Michael Jackson was aware of that accident that took place just one year before (during the filming of the ‘Twilight Zone: The Movie’ film), but this did not discourage him at all to choose John Landis as the director of his ‘Thriller’ music video.

Michael Jackson was impressed by John Landis’ work on the ‘An American Werewolf In London’ film.

As John Landis revealed, Michael Jackson initially wanted to go through the same kind transformation from a two-legged man into a four-legged beast that was in the ‘An American Werewolf In London’ film.

But John Landis later explained to him that it would be very difficult for him to dance (in the ‘Thriller’ music video) as a depicted monster with four legs.

Michael Jackson agreed and the final result in the music video was Michael Jackson having only two legs (as a monster).

But it was also because of Rick Baker (a very close collaborator of John Landis), who did excellent horror make-up effects in the ‘An American Werewolf In London’ film.

So, Michael Jackson hired John Landis also because the director would bring Rick Baker to work on the make-up effects for the ‘Thriller’ music video.

I lost all the respect for John Landis after I read about the movie Twilight Zone where the protagonist and two children were killed while shooting a scene and Landis was the biggest responsible.

John Landis and others were put on trial for this and found not guilty.

I wonder why im private home movies mj said he directed 3 of his videos. I never knew about the twilight thing with John & I WISH HE WOULD RELEASE THE NEW THRILLER SCAN!

I wonder why im private home movies mj said he directed 3 of his videos. I never knew about the twilight thing with John & I WISH HE WOULD RELEASE THE NEW THRILLER SCAN!

There were a lot of mistakes in private home movies

MJs memory was awful watch the Mexico deposition [I know he's on meds for half of it but still]. He also said he took Dirty Diana out of the setlist for 16/7/88

Back