Why didnt Mj perform at Live Aid?

Robbsaber01

Proud Member
I always wondered why Mj of all people wasnt there. Was it simply meant to be Freddy/Queens show to take over? Was Mj simply busy working on Bad?

Robbsaber01;4263177 said:
I always wondered why Mj of all people wasnt there. Was it simply meant to be Freddy/Queens show to take over? Was Mj simply busy working on Bad?

The official reason as to why MJ did not perform at the Live Aid event was because he was extremely busy working on his own projects (including his ‘Captain EO’ film) during that period.

His publicist at the time Norman Winter gave the following explanation to The New York Times (on July 17th, 1985):

“... [MJ] is working around the clock in the studio on a project that he's made a major commitment to… Michael is just about living in the studio, rehearsing and recording. I know, what could be more major than Live Aid, but Michael couldn't turn his back on his responsibility to the people he's working with. This affected employment for a lot of people ...” (Norman Winter)

But many people at that time saw that as merely an excuse on MJ’s part implying that a deeper racial issue was the actual reason for his not performing there (MJ was a black artist while most of the artists were white at the Live Aid event).

mj_frenzy;4263188 said:
The official reason as to why MJ did not perform at the Live Aid event was because he was extremely busy working on his own projects (including his ‘Captain EO’ film) during that period.

His publicist at the time Norman Winter gave the following explanation to The New York Times (on July 17th, 1985):

“... [MJ] is working around the clock in the studio on a project that he's made a major commitment to… Michael is just about living in the studio, rehearsing and recording. I know, what could be more major than Live Aid, but Michael couldn't turn his back on his responsibility to the people he's working with. This affected employment for a lot of people ...” (Norman Winter)

But many people at that time saw that as merely an excuse on MJ’s part implying that a deeper racial issue was the actual reason for his not performing there (MJ was a black artist while most of the artists were white at the Live Aid event).
Thanks for the info :) it does seem like MJ had alot of projects going on at that time.

I think it was because of all the stuff he had going on.

I doubt it was because of some racial stuff - that should have made him say yes, so more black artists participated. So I do not think that had anything to do with it.

This was propably one of the buissiest periods in MJ's life... - so much going on.

I don't think it had nothing to do with him being black. but it was the mid 80's. Billie Jean and Thriller was still somewhat new and he was the first black artist with music videos. so he was still sort of fresh. i think Michael gets really busy once he goes solo. alot was going on during that time as well. so nah. i don't think it was his race he didn't perform. just busy doing other things such as captain eo.

MJ at Live Aid would have been huge, man. I can picture him in my mind performing Can You Feel It and ending with Billie Jean.

MJ at Live Aid would have been huge, man. I can picture him in my mind performing Can You Feel It and ending with Billie Jean.
Agreed. Imagine MJ and Queen performing together. That would have made an already epic moment in music history even better. Its unfortunate they didnt have more time together.

He was busy with Captain EO, what would become Bad, and business dealings like buying a certain publishing company....

He also felt he was overexposed in the public

Some black artists were not invited to participate. So Michael also refused the invitation. Solidarity.

probably thought what a twat/fake geldolf is
or , was just busy

What's all this no black artists were invited? I have Live Aid on DVD and there's several like Teddy Pendergrass, which was one of his first performances after being paralyzed. There's also:

B.B. King
Run DMC
Ashford & Simpson
Sade
Nile Rodgers (from Chic)
Tina Turner (she sang State Of Shock with Mick Jagger)
Albert Collins
Eddie Kendricks & David Ruffin (former members of The Temptations)
Patti Labelle
Joe Leeway of The Thompson Twins is black

Back