Sonic 3 music and MJ [MERGED]

SilkySnare

Proud Member
This video is already a year old, but this is the first time I have seen it.

Yes, Michael was a big fan of classic Sonic games (as am I) and worked with SEGA on Sonic 3's soundtrack.
But did you know that he sent SEGA a tape with him beatboxing and humming tunes for the game?

The releasing of that tape is surely something that would have enrichen MJ's legacy and make a lot of people very happy. Maybe it is time to write SEGA a letter?

Re: Naoto Ohshima (Sonic creator) shares new info about Sonic 3 music and MJ

all tweet to sega

A multitrack tape??? Of mj doing all the music just beatboxing....in different tracks....heading to contact sega......right now!

Makes sense. I own Sonic 3 and when I was little, I always wondered if the "Hoo's" in the game were MJ's.
I love Sonic 3! One of my favorite games of the Mega Drive/Genesis (besides the Jurassic Park games [and Moonwalker of course lol])

Makes sense. I own Sonic 3 and when I was little, I always wondered if the "Hoo's" in the game were MJ's.
I love Sonic 3! One of my favorite games of the Mega Drive/Genesis (besides the Jurassic Park games [and Moonwalker of course lol])

That is actually Michael's voice on there, perhaps you're referring to this track.

I listened to those carefully in which is Michael's on Sonic 3. I do have the Sonic Mega Collection on PS2.

I do hope that demo tape is still out there somewhere... one can dream!

Yeah. That’s not the only Sonic 3 track he did, he also did the ending credit and there are a few I notice and that I can tell he did like Act 1 Boss for example.

Re: Sonic 3 -Megadrive

Brad Buxer talked about this on the MJCast podcast last year.

A prototype of sonic 3 from before release leaked a while back, and it had the pc version music in it. This means that the pc music was the original music, and the final tracks were added later before release. Obviously it's speculation until an earlier prototype leaks but it looks like the music that MJ allegedly worked on could actually have been a late addition to the soundtrack and replaced the music later used on the pc release.

Former SEGA staffer discusses Michael Jackson’s involvement with Sonic 3:
“I get this call from one of Michael Jackson’s people, telling me Sonic was Michael’s favorite game and could he come to SEGA and meet the people who made it. He came in after hours, I gave him a tour and introduced him to the creators of the Sonic games and he was thrilled. You could see he was a total Sonic fan – he was really, really excited. So one of our guys says, ‘Why don’t you write the music for the next Sonic?’ And he says, ‘OK.’ Everyone’s jaw dropped. I’m thinking, ‘How are we gonna work this out?’ but basically, he did write the entire score for Sonic 3.

I had a CD of it! It was all in the game and we’re just a few weeks away from delivering the final code so it can be produced for Christmas that year and then stories start appearing in the papers about Michael and, you know, him being the bad guy with kids. Everyone panicked. I mean, we had kept it a secret because it was going to be this huge, surprise announcement that Michael was doing the score, then boom, this thing comes out about him.
SEGA of Japan made the decision to take [his music] out… I had a composer on my staff, who’d done a bunch of videogame music in the past, called Howard Drossin. I told him he had to replace the audio [for Sonic 3], basically 16 weeks’ worth of work, in a week and a half. I said we’d slide food under his door but he couldn’t leave the office. And he did it! He was an amazing guy and has gone on to do a lot of movie music in Hollywood but he got his break at STI as a last-minute replacement for Michael Jackson!”

Back