Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Close was He to Buying Marvel?

Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default How Close was He to Buying Marvel?

I've seen it mentioned every now and then that MJ wanted to buy Marvel, at a time in which they weren't the movie juggernaut they are now.

But how close was he to buying the company? Would it have changed the course of his history had he got his hands on it?

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 784
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,324 Posts

Default Re: How Close was He to Buying Marvel?

I don't think they wanted to sell it.

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

It would've made for an interesting timeline if he had been able to buy it, that's for sure. I think the MCU films would have still happened in some form since Michael wanted to get into film making.
    "Let's not be alone again. Will you be my partner? I hear a dance starting up. Come."

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Michael Jackson was very close to buying Marvel in the ‘90s.

He discussed very seriously that possibility along with Stan Lee, with whom Michael Jackson met personally on several occasions for that matter.

Their discussions were lengthy concerning that possibility.

Also, Michael Jackson was always fascinated with fictional superheroes and he was greatly interested in playing the Spider-Man character in particular.

As a matter of fact, he thought that he would achieve that (to play the Spider-Man character) if he bought Marvel.

An additional reason for Michael Jackson to buy Marvel was also that he wanted to help the company financially which at that time faced serious financial difficulties (and according to some reports, the company was even in danger of closure during that period).

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post

He discussed very seriously that possibility along with Stan Lee, with whom Michael Jackson met personally on several occasions for that matter.

Also, Michael Jackson was always fascinated with fictional superheroes and he was greatly interested in playing the Spider-Man character in particular.

As a matter of fact, he thought that he would achieve that (to play the Spider-Man character) if he bought Marvel.

An additional reason for Michael Jackson to buy Marvel was also that he wanted to help the company financially which at that time faced serious financial difficulties (and according to some reports, the company was even in danger of closure during that period).
    Kinda hard to imagine Michael as Spidey as he would've been too old for the character.

Now if he had lived long enough to see Into the Spider-Verse get made, then he could've played one of the alternate Spider-Men in that movie.
    "Let's not be alone again. Will you be my partner? I hear a dance starting up. Come."

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,367 Times in 866 Posts

Default Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by Amaya View Post
    Kinda hard to imagine Michael as Spidey as he would've been too old for the character.
    Hard to imagine him as Edgar Allan Poe too. There was no Miles Morales back then, and I don't see how he could play Peter Parker at any age. There was a Japanese Spider-Man in the 1970s, but he wasn't Peter, and there were none of the other characters from the American Spider-Man. He had the name Takuya Yamashiro.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DuranDuran For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by DuranDuran View Post
    Hard to imagine him as Edgar Allan Poe too. There was no Miles Morales back then, and I don't see how he could play Peter Parker at any age. There was a Japanese Spider-Man in the 1970s, but he wasn't Peter, and there were none of the other characters from the American Spider-Man. He had the name Takuya Yamashiro.
    Ah yes, gotta love tokusatsu.

Into the Spider-Verse did feature an older Peter Parker from a different universe, so MAYBE Michael could have voiced him. There was also a "film noir" Spider-Man in that movie that he could've voiced, but if that happened we would've missed out on Nicholas Cage playing that character lol.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Ah yes, gotta love tokusatsu.

Into the Spider-Verse did feature an older Peter Parker from a different universe, so MAYBE Michael could have voiced him. There was also a "film noir" Spider-Man in that movie that he could've voiced, but if that happened we would've missed out on Nicholas Cage playing that character lol.
    But I thought Mike wanted to do a live action version, not a cartoon voice. It seems unlikely that a movie studio would have done a theatrical animated Spider-Man at the time anyway. Cartoon superhero movies were either shown on TV or went straight to video. That's still mostly the case, especially if it's traditional hand drawings rather than Shrek style computer animation.

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 810
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,443 Times in 1,777 Posts

Is there a direct source for that claim? I have seen this been reguritated since forever without a single proof. Just because he wanted to buy Marvel doesn't mean he wanted to play spiderman in a live action movie. I call B.S on this, as i have always done.

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First Class3 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Maybe Michael could of played spiderman. i don't judge people. it's depends on how he wanted to do it. they said Michael was very healthy for his age. maybe he could played an older version of him? either that maybe voice him? Michael was very good at voices.

a female with depression,generalized anxiety,who is intellectual delay with other mental delays

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 357
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Stan Lee said he wasn't sure, he just suspected that he wanted to play Spiderman.

Mr Lee, a veteran comic book writer and the brains behind the Fantastic Four, X-Men, Hulk, Daredevil and many others, made the revelation during the annual San Diego Comic-Con on Friday.
    "I had been to his place in Neverland. He wanted to do Spider-Man," he said.
    "I'm not sure whether he just wanted to produce it or wanted to play the role. Our conversation never got that far along."
    Asked if he thought Jackson would have taken the title role, Mr Lee replied: "I suspect so."
    "He thought I'd be the one who could get him the rights (to make a Spider-Man movie), and I told him I couldn't," he added.
    "He would have to go to the Marvel company. But we did become friendly, and he was a great guy."
    Jackson - who died on June 25 aged 50 - was planning to buy comic publisher Marvel jointly with Stan Lee in the late 1990s, but the deal fell through.
    "We had met a number of times. In fact, he (Jackson) came to my house once with his son, and I remember my wife took care of his son for about an hour while Michael and I were talking," said Mr Lee.
    "He was quite a good father. He was very solicitous, and he cared very much for the boy."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...Man-movie.html

'Immerse your soul in love.'

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 784
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,324 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NatureCriminal7896 View Post
    Maybe Michael could of played spiderman. i don't judge people. it's depends on how he wanted to do it. they said Michael was very healthy for his age. maybe he could played an older version of him? either that maybe voice him? Michael was very good at voices.
    Michael wasn't a very good actor. I'm glad that he didn't buy Marvel. We wouldn't have MCU if he had bought it.

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First Class3 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Everyone has their own opinions but he was good actor to me. watch the wiz and moonwalker (need to do a review on when i get a chance). his acting was good. he just didn't act enough which sucks.

a female with depression,generalized anxiety,who is intellectual delay with other mental delays

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DuranDuran View Post
    But I thought Mike wanted to do a live action version, not a cartoon voice. It seems unlikely that a movie studio would have done a theatrical animated Spider-Man at the time anyway. Cartoon superhero movies were either shown on TV or went straight to video. That's still mostly the case, especially if it's traditional hand drawings rather than Shrek style computer animation.
    At the time, sure. I meant if Michael was still alive and lived long enough to see Into the Spider-Verse get made, he could've played Spider-Man (well, one of them anyway) in that movie.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

At the time, sure. I meant if Michael was still alive and lived long enough to see Into the Spider-Verse get made, he could've played Spider-Man (well, one of them anyway) in that movie.
    Other than The Wiz, I don't see any evidence of Mike pursuing an acting career. The Wiz is a musical. So not much different from what he was already doing. The J5 didn't do the voices on their cartoon, but The Osmonds did for theirs. Janet started out in acting on TV before she made a record, and did a few non-music related movies later on. Even Marlon acted in a B-movie called Student Confidential. What I've noticed is that some rappers (Fresh Prince, Queen Latifah, Ice Cube, Ice T, LL Cool J) have been accepted as actors by the general public in a way pop & rock singers like Madonna, Mick Jagger, Prince, Bob Dylan, Ringo Starr, & Sting couldn't do. Even when Elvis Presley movies were box office hits, he was mostly making the same movie over & over with a different setting (because that's what Colonel Parker had him do). I don't think people were going to see Elvis movies because of the plots, but to see him sing a few songs.