New edition of Joe Vogel’s book “Man In The Music” up for pre-order.

I really loved the book and actually need a new one, because I read the pages loose-but I hope he adds some of the stories that he wrote for the Huffington Post to the book. The one about the origins of 'Gone Too Soon' was so beautifully written and I loved it so, that I ordered the book that day. But it wasn't in there. There are others that should be included-the "***** J origin story' should be in there, since I lived through that time and it's how I remember it. As a matter of fact, remember saying this to people I worked with at the time, when it first happened-around 86?

There are others that should be included-the "***** J origin story' should be in there, since I lived through that time and it's how I remember it. As a matter of fact, remember saying this to people I worked with at the time, when it first happened-around 86?

What story is this? It's hard to figure out without knowing what the censored word is.

I really loved the book and actually need a new one, because I read the pages loose-but I hope he adds some of the stories that he wrote for the Huffington Post to the book. The one about the origins of 'Gone Too Soon' was so beautifully written and I loved it so, that I ordered the book that day. But it wasn't in there. There are others that should be included-the "***** J origin story' should be in there, since I lived through that time and it's how I remember it. As a matter of fact, remember saying this to people I worked with at the time, when it first happened-around 86?

A post from you is rare sight nowadays. Good to see you

Last edited:
It’s also confirmed by Vogel that there will be chapters on Destiny and Triumph.

That book was such a disappointment to me. Vogel had promised a lot of new info from MJ's collaborators as to who wrote what, but there was nothing new in that regard; most of the book was Vogel writing about how great every song was; any fan could have written the same thing. For a real, critical look at MJ's music, check out Richard Ledocq's "All the Songs".

I’m interested in the updated edition since I love the 1st edition and glad to have too.

That book was such a disappointment to me. Vogel had promised a lot of new info from MJ's collaborators as to who wrote what, but there was nothing new in that regard; most of the book was Vogel writing about how great every song was; any fan could have written the same thing. For a real, critical look at MJ's music, check out Richard Ledocq's "All the Songs".

I have to agree. A lot of the book was just saying how great a song was but their was no new information that we didn't already know.

I have to agree. A lot of the book was just saying how great a song was but their was no new information that we didn't already know.
Vogel said there is a lot of new content coming out with the new edition, but who knows.

Keep your expectations in check about Joseph Vogel’s new edition of the ‘Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson’ book.

The first edition of the book (2011) includes a lot of known material from other sources (in other words, rehashing), rather than his own, exclusive interviews with people who worked with Michael Jackson.

Also, in the first edition, Joseph Vogel speculates a lot about certain things concerning Michael Jackson's artistic career and decisions.

But also, Joseph Vogel lost a lot of his credibility in general, because of an additional reason.

He wrote in the past in his articles that those three Cascio tracks (from the ‘Michael’ album) have Michael Jackson’s original vocals on them.

He later, when he realized his mistake, tried to take back what he wrote about those three tracks, but for many people he had already lost a lot of his credibility in general because of his original statement.

Just came across a pleasant surprise :)! My article on 'Dangerous' was cited by Joseph Vogel in the new edition. So excited :D!! Check it out! After glancing through the preview for the book, which comes out today, it looks like it's been significantly revised. Almost every chapter and song assessment has either been redone or revised based on my comparisons. It definitely focuses much more now on the music and dissects individual tracks in a more analytical manner. I haven't gone through the whole thing yet but I'll share my thoughts when I do.

New edition of Joseph Vogel's book "Man In The Music"...

Joseph Vogel's book "Man In The Music, The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson" has been reissued in a new version still in English but somewhat different from the previous one, released in 2011.

You certainly know Joseph Vogel but if it's not the case, know that his work has been featured in the magazines The Atlantic, Slate, Forbes, Guardian, The Huffington Post and PopMatters. He has appeared in numerous documentaries, including Michael Jackson's Bad 25 and Journey from Motown to Off the Wall, both directed by Spike Lee. He wrote the texts in the libretto for Xscape, Michael Jackson's posthumous album, and contributed to Thriller's entry into the US Library of Congress's National Register. Vogel is an adjunct professor at Merrimack College in Massachusetts.

If the first edition was excellent; she had the honors of Spike Lee, J. Randy Taraborrelli, Rolling Stone or the Associated Press, even for years after its publication, Joseph Vogel says in the new edition of his book that he was eager to fine tune, revise and improve it. That's how he returned to work.

For years, he had accumulated a huge library of documents related to Michael Jackson. Google pages were filled with interviews, artist notes, obscure articles, road maps, session calendars, and other pieces of the puzzle.

In addition to his own work, a series of new books, documentaries, articles of reflection, academic articles and monographs on the King of Pop have been published. He met again with many former Michael Jackson collaborators to deliver a new edition of his book (544 pages).

Here are the differences with the old version that are announced in the news:
First there is more detail behind the scenes of the studios and on the details of Michael Jackson's albums about how, where and when they were made. This is the main difference with the old edition. The second is the correction of some errors, and the desire to focus on the music of Michael Jackson and mainly on his music. This edition focuses on songs and albums and not on video clips, touring and other performances.

The close collaborators that Joseph Vogel was interested in and many of whom met him were: Quincy Jones, Rod Temperton, Bruce Swedien, Greg Phillinganes, Louis Johnson, David Williams, Paulinho da Costa, John Robinson , Johnny Mandel, Jerry Hey, Buz Kohan, Steve Porcaro, Jeff Porcaro, David Paich, Steve Lukather, Michael Boddicker, Matt Forger, Brad Sundberg, Bill Bottrell, John Barnes, Chris Currell, The Andra Crouch Choir, Bryan Loren, George Del Barrio, Teddy Riley, Brad Buxer, Michael Prince, Wild Chuck, Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis, David Foster, Austin Dallas, Rob Hoffman, Dr. Freeze, Babyface and Rodney Jerkins.

https://www.amazon.com/Man-Music-Jo...+in+the+Music&qid=1567068234&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Back