Thread: is michael an r&b artist?

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks

Default is michael an r&b artist?

lately I've been seeing lists compiling the top r&b artists of all time. nothing official, just random public opinion.. Michael always seems to appear at the top. of course, i'm happy that his music remains on the conscious of the wider population, but is this justified?

there's no doubt that Michael's roots with the Jackson 5 are steeped in r&b. however, even they were labelled 'bubble gum' for songs like 'abc' and 'the love you save', which had more of a sing-song pop appeal.

I could understand if he was being judged solely for 'off the wall', but even that had 'girlfriend', 'she's out of my life', and 'it's the falling in love'.

beyond that, in the 80's specifically, Michael was pop. I don't think he ever lost some of those r&b elements, but it wasn't enough for him to be tied to that genre entirely in my view.

I would argue the same for whitney Houston, who also appears on these lists, but I digress..

what do you think? do you automatically associate Michael with r&b, or was he 'the king of pop' for a reason? would love to know your thoughts

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,348 Times in 2,608 Posts

Default Re: is michael an r&b artist?

To me Michael Jackson was just Michael Jackson. He was very versatile and couldn't be put into a box. He's done Pop, Rock. RnB, Soul, Hip Hop, Classical, Funk, New Jack Swing, Disco, and possibly more that I'm blanking on.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to analogue For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks

I would argue that Michael became a genre onto himself at one point, with certain characteristics that were only associated with his music.

pop seems to sample bits of everything and make it 'catchy' in the process. I think that was a worthy title for Michael. he had mass appeal, and wasn't restricted to a niche audience.
    Last edited by 83magic; 16-08-2019 at 12:25 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 83magic For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsYour first GroupThree Friends
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I would see him as an R&B artist, as well as an artist in other genres. He did extensive work with Darkchild (recording company) which is responsible for releasing a lot of popular R&B song material during the 90s and early 2000s.
    And they better spell my name right! L-I-D-E-O. So simple. Frankie Lideo!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to StageGlitter For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Overall activity: 99.2%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,076 Times in 844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by analogue View Post
    To me Michael Jackson was just Michael Jackson. He was very versatile and couldn't be put into a box. He's done Pop, Rock. RnB, Soul, Hip Hop, Classical, Funk, New Jack Swing, Disco, and possibly more that I'm blanking on.
    Yup this.

Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 894 Posts

Mike is always in the R&B section in the record stores I've been in. That is his main genre. Even with his later music there were R&B producers/songwriters like Teddy Riley, R. Kelly, & Rodney Jerkins. Butterflies was written by the neo-soul group Floetry.

"Pop" is not really a type of music. It's short for "popular music" for the mainstream. If you look at different decades, different genres were pop music. In the 1920s & 1930s big band jazz was pop music. In the 1940s, crooners & show tunes were pop. Late 1950s, it was rock n roll & doo wop. In the 1960s, pop was girl groups, British Invasion, Motown, & psychedelic rock. In the 1970s, it was light rock, arena rock, & disco. In the 1980s, it was new wave, glam metal, adult contemporary. In the 1990s, there was dance music, hip hop, country. Grunge was also pop for a brief period. Right now hip hop is the main pop music and contemporary country to a lesser extent.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DuranDuran For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

He stated that he didnt wanna be labeled & nothing on bad,maybe remember the time but etc...is r&b.... invincible had maybe 2 r&b tracks but nah

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default music

Quote Originally Posted by wonderouzmj View Post
    He stated that he didn't wanna be labeled
    King Of Pop is a label, just like Queen Of Soul, King Of Rock n Roll, & Godfather Of Soul are. There's nobody called "King/Queen Of Music".

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsYour first GroupThree Friends
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DuranDuran View Post
    Mike is always in the R&B section in the record stores I've been in. That is his main genre. Even with his later music there were R&B producers/songwriters like Teddy Riley, R. Kelly, & Rodney Jerkins. Butterflies was written by the neo-soul group Floetry.

"Pop" is not really a type of music. It's short for "popular music" for the mainstream. If you look at different decades, different genres were pop music. In the 1920s & 1930s big band jazz was pop music. In the 1940s, crooners & show tunes were pop. Late 1950s, it was rock n roll & doo wop. In the 1960s, pop was girl groups, British Invasion, Motown, & psychedelic rock. In the 1970s, it was light rock, arena rock, & disco. In the 1980s, it was new wave, glam metal, adult contemporary. In the 1990s, there was dance music, hip hop, country. Grunge was also pop for a brief period. Right now hip hop is the main pop music and contemporary country to a lesser extent.
    This is actually very right.
    And they better spell my name right! L-I-D-E-O. So simple. Frankie Lideo!

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StageGlitter View Post
    This is actually very right.
    In the USA, Top 40 is pop radio. Top 40 plays a lot of different things, moreso in the past than today. On pop radio you might hear Boston, Fleetwood Mac, Mötley Crüe, Gloria Estefan, Michael Jackson, Depeche Mode, Cat Stevens, Billy Ocean, Kenny Rogers, Al Jarreau, Bobby Brown, Phil Collins, Kool & The Gang, Billy Idol, Madonna, Stray Cats, The Cars, etc all on the same station. An R&B station would play Billy Ocean & Michael Jackson but not Mötley Crüe or Boston and vice versa for a rock station. Country radio will play Kenny Rogers but not Gloria Estefan or Kool & The Gang. Pop radio was more musically integrated than a station dedicated to a specific genre. Pop is not a specific genre for a certain audience. The mainstream album chart is called Billboard 200, which is all albums together no matter what style of music it is. But the jazz album chart is just for jazz artists and the gospel chart is for gospel.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DuranDuran For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Michael Jackson is a pop artist, not an R&B artist.

Pop music borrows musical elements from other genres (such as, from R&B, dance, rock), has a very wide appeal, has a catchy melody, has a typical format in terms of the sequence of verses and choruses, and also it has a typical song’s medium duration.

Michael Jackson’s music almost always has the above characteristics of pop music.

Also, Michael Jackson officially called himself the King Of Pop (in the late ‘80s) because he knew that his music was up to that point and would continue to be in the following years pop music.

Besides, if you ask anyone about what genre is Michael Jackson’s music, nine times out of ten you will get the immediate response that his genre is pop music.

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second Class5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 708 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 83magic View Post
    I would argue that Michael became a genre onto himself at one point, with certain characteristics that were only associated with his music.

pop seems to sample bits of everything and make it 'catchy' in the process. I think that was a worthy title for Michael. he had mass appeal, and wasn't restricted to a niche audience.
    I've also thought of MJ as being a genre all on his own, because his songs are difficult to classify into any one type of music. He does have some amazing R & B songs in his catalogue, so I guess that's why he is often on the top of the R & B list. Others can't touch him, even in one genre of music alone.

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Pop music and popular music are not two identical terms.

What you described here is popular music which depending on the era can literally be any type of music alone.

On the other hand, pop music is a distinct genre itself which has its own characteristics, and it has been heavily influenced by the ‘50s Rock 'N' Roll music.

A pop song can also include elements from other genres, such as a guitar riff, or a dance intro, or an R&B beat, or a hip-hop feeling, but still the song is a pop song.

Sugababes, Atomic Kitten, Spice Girls, East 17, Backstreet Boys, Take That, Savage Garden, NSYNC, are just some examples of pop music, a music that is distinct with its own characteristics.

Even when former members of those groups followed a solo career in the later years (after the group’s split-up), their music continued to be pop music.

Geri Halliwell’s solo music continued to be pop, Gary Barlow’s solo music continued to be pop, Darren Hayes’ solo music continued to be pop, etc.

Other examples of pop music are Ellie Goulding, Selena Gomez, Charli XCX, Justin Bieber, whose music sounds still pop (like the previous examples), although they belong to a different, newer era.

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 625
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,462 Times in 1,786 Posts

"Pop" is not really a type of music. It's short for "popular music" for the mainstream.
    Yes well that may have been the truth before but it isin't anymore. Pop has become a genre unto it itself and it is no longer used in that context.

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    Michael Jackson is a pop artist, not an R&B artist.

Pop music borrows musical elements from other genres (such as, from R&B, dance, rock), has a very wide appeal, has a catchy melody, has a typical format in terms of the sequence of verses and choruses, and also it has a typical song’s medium duration.

Michael Jackson’s music almost always has the above characteristics of pop music.

Also, Michael Jackson officially called himself the King Of Pop (in the late ‘80s) because he knew that his music was up to that point and would continue to be in the following years pop music.

Besides, if you ask anyone about what genre is Michael Jackson’s music, nine times out of ten you will get the immediate response that his genre is pop music.
    It is very misleading saying that MJ was a Pop artist and not an R&B artist. MJ has sung and recorded many R&B songs throughout his career, Rock With You, Lady In My Life, Even Though You're Gone, Remember The Time, Joy, You Are Not Alone, Heaven Can't Wait, Butterflies, just to name a few,and I haven't even taken into account the dozens of cover songs he did with Jackson 5 cover the greateast soul and R&B acts of all time.

Yes MJ was pop oriented in his work but he was also very mich R&B oriented as well. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Now if the question was if MJ deserved to be in the top of that R&B list? That is another discussion. I don't agree with that list in that aspect but he definitely deserves to be in such a list.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

He's an r&b artist at the core of it all. His r&b music redefined what "pop music" is, which is all-encompassing and not an actual musical genre.