Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The "official" name for MJ fanbase?

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 535 Posts

Default Re: The "official" name for MJ fanbase?

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    It is quite the same.

Do you know how fans of the English pop singer Conor Maynard decided to be collectively called?

They decided to be called ‘Mayniacs’ (referring to 'maniacs', of course).

Conor Maynard’s ‘Contrast’ debut album achieved big chart success when it was released in 2012, and he is also the one who won the MTV Brand New 2012 Award.

The term ‘maniacs’ (which originated from The Beatles’ fans in the ‘60s) has been in use since then also on other cases of pop fan bases.

There's still a difference, as I already tried to point out. "Moonwalkers" or "Little Monsters" is more specific, and basically only people from within those scenes will know what it refers too. Fan/Fanatic or maniac (as in "Beatlemania") are general labels that likely have originally been put out by the press, not by the fan bases themselves.

I never heard of Conor Maynard, but if that was in 2012, then it falls into that same age of Gaga, Bieber etc, in which fan bases began to come up with rather creative names for themselfes.

I think it happened in conjunction with the rise of social media. Before that, fans could hardly mass connect as easily, so that it would have been hard to establish and spread the idea for a special name for themselves.
    Last edited by Electro; 26-08-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 346
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,454 Times in 508 Posts

Looking for cringeworthy names? I'll give you these:

- "the Doggone Lovers"
    - "the Aouw! & Hee-hee's"
    - "the Shamoners"

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Korgnex View Post
    Looking for cringeworthy names? I'll give you these:

- "the Doggone Lovers"
    - "the Aouw! & Hee-hee's"
    - "the Shamoners"
    Never heard of these before

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 846
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 984 Posts

The term Moonwalkers been going on since the 80's. Michael said he did not like that name. he prefer the to call us his soldiers of Love or family. i don't like the name moonwalkers either.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NatureCriminal7896 View Post
    The term Moonwalkers been going on since the 80's. Michael said he did not like that name. he prefer the to call us his soldiers of Love or family. i don't like the name moonwalkers either.
    Any source for that?

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 846
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Electro View Post
    Any source for that?
    I have no source but i got this from an long time fan and the part were Michael didn't like this name has been said by alot.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 744
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

^ I wish there was a source. Maybe we could convince people to stop using it then! lol.

Thing is, I've been a fan since '84 and I never heard the term "moonwalkers" in reference to MJ fans until a couple/few years ago, when "Beliebers" and "Little Monsters" became a thing. I have tapes full of specials and news clips and scrapbooks of articles from back through the 80's, like when they were calling Michael "the Gloved One" and calling it "Michaelmania", but no "moonwalkers". Maybe it was just in certain countries, though. I mostly just know what was going on in the US, at least up until the internet era. But even if a couple of papers in, I don't know... Australia or somewhere... once printed it, or a small fan club/group called themselves that at some point, it still seems that the current younger generation are the ones to have invented it this time around, as part of the cutesy fandom names trend. Just based on the utter (or near-utter) absence of the term en masse in all the previous decades.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mjbunny For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I have no source but i got this from an long time fan and the part were Michael didn't like this name has been said by alot.
    Maybe that's some mixup with "J.a.c.k.o", of which Michael said he didn't like.

I can't really see Michael saying he doesn't like his fans calling themselfes this or that.

I've also been a fan since the late 80s and never heard of "Moonwalkers" until recent years.

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

I've never heard of Michael being offended by the term 'moonwalkers'. why would he be, when he named his autobiography and movie after a similar variation? besides, as others have stated, the term that some fans gave themselves was done after '09. I personally love it, and would be proud to call myself one it's based on an interesting movement that not everybody can do. it's fun!

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Any source for that?
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbunny View Post
    ^ I wish there was a source. Maybe we could convince people to stop using it then! lol.

Thing is, I've been a fan since '84 and I never heard the term "moonwalkers" in reference to MJ fans until a couple/few years ago, when "Beliebers" and "Little Monsters" became a thing. I have tapes full of specials and news clips and scrapbooks of articles from back through the 80's, like when they were calling Michael "the Gloved One" and calling it "Michaelmania", but no "moonwalkers". Maybe it was just in certain countries, though. I mostly just know what was going on in the US, at least up until the internet era. But even if a couple of papers in, I don't know... Australia or somewhere... once printed it, or a small fan club/group called themselves that at some point, it still seems that the current younger generation are the ones to have invented it this time around, as part of the cutesy fandom names trend. Just based on the utter (or near-utter) absence of the term en masse in all the previous decades.
    Maybe that's some mixup with "J.a.c.k.o", of which Michael said he didn't like.

I can't really see Michael saying he doesn't like his fans calling themselfes this or that.

I've also been a fan since the late 80s and never heard of "Moonwalkers" until recent years.
    The term ‘Moonwalkers’ started in recent years (after Michael Jackson's death) by an Internet site that now is closed.

There's still a difference, as I already tried to point out. "Moonwalkers" or "Little Monsters" is more specific, and basically only people from within those scenes will know what it refers too. Fan/Fanatic or maniac (as in "Beatlemania") are general labels that likely have originally been put out by the press, not by the fan bases themselves.

I never heard of Conor Maynard, but if that was in 2012, then it falls into that same age of Gaga, Bieber etc, in which fan bases began to come up with rather creative names for themselfes.

I think it happened in conjunction with the rise of social media. Before that, fans could hardly mass connect as easily, so that it would have been hard to establish and spread the idea for a special name for themselves.
    It did not happen in conjunction with the social media.

Even before the advent of social media, such nicknames for fan bases were already in existence.

It was very easy, for example, for an artist or a band to start such a nickname for the fan base (through conventional media outlets, like through TV interviews, radio interviews, magazines interviews, etc) and their fans would immediately adopt that term for themselves.

In 1975, for instance, the American hard-rock band Aerosmith called their fans ‘Blue Army’ and that term has been widely used since then by the band’s fans.

Lady Gaga just increased even more the use of that trend with ‘Little Monsters’ in the summer of 2009.

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I love the term MJFam. When I speak to muggles about us I always say "the community". I also call myself fan of course, and us the fans. But generally I just say "the community".
    Sure, it works in practice. But does it work in theory?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sarah_MJ For This Useful Post: