Dallas Austin: Russia was Hiding Michael Jackson, America Didn't Like That

Re: EXCLUSIVE Dallas Austin: Russia was Hiding Michael Jackson, America Didn't Like That

"Russia was Hiding Michael Jackson" -- this made me laugh :lmao:

Re: EXCLUSIVE Dallas Austin: Russia was Hiding Michael Jackson, America Didn't Like That

Dallas has the best stories! I love to hear new mj stories!

But this is idiotic... I really don't think MJ got envious and went in to hype up in a room for everyone to hear. That's just stupid. There could be a million reasons for MJ to watch tour footage etc, while in the midst of a creative project.

And the whole Hitler-thing. It's just so tiresome. Honestly, this is so ignorant and one-dimensional, it's a propaganda piece in itself. I find it embarrassing that Austin doesn't know better or have tried to understand more, especially after being part of producing TDCAU.

It's a power parade. Yes, used by dictators, Hitler included, for reasons of propaganda, but militairy marches are done in democracies as well. Especially in wartime, for the very same reasons. But also on say national hollidays. Propaganda is not only used by dictatorships and what is propaganda vs what is a show of ideals to identify with, is very much a discussion held in art forums, both within and outside the academia.

MJ viewed themself as an opposite of such oppression, and rightfully so. A symbole of love, peace, equality and minorities - people bereft of power, agency and influence; stigmatized and missunderstood. Thus, by putting themself in such a position, creating an interesting oxymoron from an artistic point of view and at the same time showing power and unity in their back.

The US - through the DA, the sheriff's department, the FBI and childcare units - and the media plus parts of the public, had in many ways created and/or committed to a war against MJ and this was MJ's return to the public and their rightful place as the world's greatest entertainer. The purpose was to prepare the public that this would be done victoriously. They did not sneak back appologetic, they came back with an effing parade in their back, which was correct since in reality we had MJ's back. Now furiously raging and reflecting the powerstruggles in our societies; all through the love, honesty and purity that is Michael Jackson. (I'm ofcourse talking about the HIStory record, including TDCAU.)

Last but not least, isn't it supposed to be armies from different countries, thus lifting it out of a nationalistic context and making it quite anti-nationalistic? Perhaps it isn't in reality, guessing that would be hard to carry out, but I'm quite sure they were supposed to symbolize being from different countries in the trailer.

But this is idiotic... I really don't think MJ got envious and went in to hype up in a room for everyone to hear. That's just stupid. There could be a million reasons for MJ to watch tour footage etc, while in the midst of a creative project.

And the whole Hitler-thing. It's just so tiresome. Honestly, this is so ignorant and one-dimensional, it's a propaganda piece in itself. I find it embarrassing that Austin doesn't know better or have tried to understand more, especially after being part of producing TDCAU.

It's a power parade. Yes, used by dictators, Hitler included, for reasons of propaganda, but militairy marches are done in democracies as well. Especially in wartime, for the very same reasons. But also on say national hollidays. Propaganda is not only used by dictatorships and what is propaganda vs what is a show of ideals to identify with, is very much a discussion held in art forums, both within and outside the academia.

MJ viewed themself as an opposite of such oppression, and rightfully so. A symbole of love, peace, equality and minorities - people bereft of power, agency and influence; stigmatized and missunderstood. Thus, by putting themself in such a position, creating an interesting oxymoron from an artistic point of view and at the same time showing power and unity in their back.

The US - through the DA, the sheriff's department, the FBI and childcare units - and the media plus parts of the public, had in many ways created and/or committed to a war against MJ and this was MJ's return to the public and their rightful place as the world's greatest entertainer. The purpose was to prepare the public that this would be done victoriously. They did not sneak back appologetic, they came back with an effing parade in their back, which was correct since in reality we had MJ's back. Now furiously raging and reflecting the powerstruggles in our societies; all through the love, honesty and purity that is Michael Jackson. (I'm ofcourse talking about the HIStory record, including TDCAU.)

Last but not least, isn't it supposed to be armies from different countries, thus lifting it out of a nationalistic context and making it quite anti-nationalistic? Perhaps it isn't in reality, guessing that would be hard to carry out, but I'm quite sure they were supposed to symbolize being from different countries in the trailer.

Dallas was recalling the story from his point of view at the time. Not everybody shared the same educational background on world history, especially in the 80's and 90's. There just wasn't that much exposure to those kinds of things, especially where Dallas was from. Dallas is obviously well-aware of MJ's intent now, which was to express his inspiration for what he wanted Dallas to create musically through the museum and the "hype reels". Depending on where the interview was guided after this piece, Austin can surely elaborate more on his experience with MJ during a pivotal time in his career.

I agree with your observations and rationalizations.

Dallas was recalling the story from his point of view at the time. Not everybody shared the same educational background on world history, especially in the 80's and 90's. There just wasn't that much exposure to those kinds of things, especially where Dallas was from. Dallas is obviously well-aware of MJ's intent now, which was to express his inspiration for what he wanted Dallas to create musically through the museum and the "hype reels". Depending on where the interview was guided after this piece, Austin can surely elaborate more on his experience with MJ during a pivotal time in his career.

Well, first off: Let's hope so. I truely do.

However, I still don't get - if one has worked for someone that one starts to think is antisemitic and actually nazi - wouldn't one want to find out more before telling the world through the press? ESPECIALLY when it comes to Michael Jackson??

Austin is actually saying MJ's trailer WAS nazi and put the words of the song they did together in that context, finnishing off with saying that MJ's comments are stereotypical. (Which they absolutly are put in that context, while in reality probably just a bit of a clumbsy listing of truth from a baffled MJ, that should be read in the context that MJ is laying out in the same sentence: MJ's putting themself on the same footing with people being victimized, especially through different race systems.)

I mean, no one is forcing Austin to say all this. To the press. While MJ was being kicked again. If Austin didn't know and didn't bother to get a bigger understanding (for instance from ASKING MJ), why just not talk to the press about it? It would be easy to just say that sentence: "I just think it's about what most think when they hear it: racial injustice. I don't know of anything else."

It also seems that Austin should be atleast a little prepared, that the world would be looking for a way to undermine the message of such a song. Even more so if sung and performed by MJ. A backlash of some sort.

I'm sorry for going off. Maybe people feel I'm getting unnecessarily upset here...maybe I am. But I just always thought this crap came from the tabloids, picked up by some quite extreme Israel-American/American Jewish organisations for publicism, at the time. I didn't even imagine it was MJ's friends and collegues spreading this. That saddens me.
Always stabbed in the back.

His stories are all pretty badly mixed up.

Dallas produced TDCAU?
I haven't read the credits in ages, but didn't he just make one of the remixes and produce This Time Around (+remixes)?

Last edited:

His stories are all pretty badly mixed up.

Dallas produced TDCAU?
I haven't read the credits in ages, but didn't he just make one of the remixes and produce This Time Around (+remixes)?

Yup. And at least he mixed TDCAU... Dallas Austin Main Mix

Yup. And at least he mixed TDCAU... Dallas Austin Main Mix

Yes, that's his pointless remix.

(The terms mix and remix are used pretty messy / loose since the 90s. The "Mix" (aka mixdown aka finetuning of the different layers and instruments etc in a song) of TDCAU original was done by Bruce Swedien, as always. So no involvement of Dallas on the original.)

Btw, a little hidden gem for promo collectors back then:
This alternative version with an additional guitar track that was also released as "Dallas Austin Main Mix" only on one UK promo-only 12-inch vinyl:

They should have used this version for the commercial remix releases. So much better.

Last edited:

("Mixing" (finetuning of the different layers and instruments etc in a song) on the TDCAU original was done by Bruce Swedien, as always.)
I was sure thinking to myself like....i dont remember this dude on the track...bruce of course but idk....never know

Dallas Austin is full of shit. And the interviewer is soooo disrespectful to MJ in that 2nd video.

Electro;4267920 said:
(The terms mix and remix are used pretty messy / loose since the 90s. The "Mix" (aka mixdown aka finetuning of the different layers and instruments etc in a song) of TDCAU original was done by Bruce Swedien, as always. So no involvement of Dallas on the original.)

Not as always.

The ‘Scream’ song was not mixed by Bruce Swedien.

Btw, a little hidden gem for promo collectors back then:
This alternative version with an additional guitar track that was also released as "Dallas Austin Main Mix" only on one UK promo-only 12-inch vinyl:

They should have used this version for the commercial remix releases. So much better.

Thank you for this

Dallas isn’t really disrespectful here, although he does seem overwhelmed and starstruck by his experience with MJ. He mostly just seems ignorant and misguided when he says Russia was hiding MJ.

That aside, I always wondered what exactly MJ was going for with the HIStory promos. I doubt he was totally oblivious to how it would look and what he was tapping into.

Back