Michael Jackson (1991-2002)

Elton-Cetera

Proud Member
MICHAEL JACKSON TIMELINE (1991-2002)

Tuesday, November 26, 1991 – Michael Jackson releases his eighth solo studio album, Dangerous.

Sunday, November 15, 1992, to Wednesday, November 18, 1992 – The Jacksons: An American Dream, a miniseries based upon the history of the Jackson family, aired on ABC.

Tuesday, January 19, 1993 – Michael Jackson performs at President Bill Clinton's Inaugural Gala at the Capital Centre in Landover, Maryland.

Sunday, January 31, 1993 – Michael Jackson is the halftime performer at the (NFL) National Football League’s Super Bowl XXVII (27) game between the Buffalo Bills and the Dallas Cowboys at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California. It aired on NBC.

Wednesday, February 10, 1993 – Oprah Winfrey interviews Michael Jackson at his Neverland Valley Ranch. The 90-minute program was televised on ABC.

Wednesday, February 24, 1993 – Michael Jackson receives the Grammy Legend Award at the 35th Annual Grammy Awards Show at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles California. Janet Jackson is the presenter. It aired on CBS.

Wednesday, December 22, 1993 – LIVE from his home, at the Neverland Valley Ranch in Los Olivos, California, which is a part of Santa Barbara County, Michael Jackson makes a video statement addressing the allegations being made against him. It aired all over the world.

Wednesday, January 5, 1994 – Before presenting the award for Outstanding Choreography in Film or Television to Debbie Allen at the 26th NAACP Image Awards ceremony, Michael Jackson addressed the allegations being made against him and continued to maintain his innocence. The ceremony was held in the Pasadena Civic Auditorium in Pasadena, California. It aired on NBC.

Tuesday, February 22, 1994 – The Jackson Family Honors aires on NBC.

Thursday, May 26, 1994 – Michael Jackson marries Lisa Marie Presley, the daughter of Elvis Presley and Priscilla Wagner/Beaulieu.

Wednesday, June 14, 1995 – Diane Sawyer interviews Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley on ABC.

Tuesday, June 20, 1995 – Michael Jackson releases the album, History: Past, Present and Future, Book I.

Tuesday, May 6, 1997 – The Jackson 5 are inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. Diana Ross is the presenter.

Tuesday, May 20, 1997 – Michael Jackson releases the album, Blood On The Dance Floor: History In The Mix.

Monday, March 19, 2001 – Michael Jackson is inducted into the Rock And Roll Of Fame. NSYNC is the presenter.

Tuesday, October 30, 2001 – Michael Jackson releases the album, Invincible.

Thursday, June 13, 2002 – Michael Jackson is inducted into the Songwriters Hall Of Fame. Liza Minnelli and David Gest accepted on behalf of Michael Jackson, who could not attend the ceremony.

[video=youtube;V53OfsZCaHY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V53OfsZCaHY[/video]

[video=youtube;PqK3ZlHInsQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqK3ZlHInsQ[/video]

[video=youtube;QubCz_N196w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QubCz_N196w[/video]

[video=youtube;IVsGbiLxWL4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVsGbiLxWL4[/video]

Last edited:
It's interesting to think that 1993 was both Michael's biggest year and his most disastrous. Or maybe those two things aren't unrelated. I was too young to remember but for folks who were older, would you agree that 1993 was Michael Jackson at the pinnacle of his career? Or had his glory days been in the past..

Last edited:
What do you mean? i wasn't even born yet. i feel 1993 was kind of the end of his glory days. one because of the lies and two he was getting older. he was only about 30 at this time but it felt he wasn't the same anymore. i guess his music was changing and he was becoming more "mature". all his songs during this time was mostly about people saying lies about him and how he is mentally and physically. that's why i'm not really a fan of 90's Michael. he seem, i don't know. depressed? sad? i don't know how to put it.

80's and 70's is when he the happiest and the biggest. he's young. happy. there's lies about him but it wasn't really the problem until 1993 lies came up. 70's and 80's Michael were the best. early 2000's Michael were good too until his death.

There is no definite answer as to when Michael Jackson was at the pinnacle of his career/success.

For American people, he was at the pinnacle of his career/success during the period right after the release of his ‘Thriller’ album (in 1983 - 1984).

But for people in other parts of the world, that is not true.

In Europe, for example, he was at the pinnacle of his career/success in the period 1987 - 1993 (before the allegations hit in August of 1993), but in America he was less successful in that period as compared to 1983 - 1984.

The gradual change of the colour of his skin (which from mid ‘80s onwards was gradually becoming lighter) played also a role because that change of the colour of his skin alienated a lot of his American black fans who used to constitute a significant part of his overall American fan base in the ‘Thriller’ years.

mj_frenzy;4267983 said:
The gradual change of the colour of his skin (which from mid ‘80s onwards was gradually becoming lighter) played also a role because that change of the colour of his skin alienated a lot of his American black fans who used to constitute a significant part of his overall American fan base in the ‘Thriller’ years.

I know right? it wasn't his fault he had a disease plus the fake lies didn't make it no better. he was always black and always will be. people now and then really need to do their research on these fake lies and vitiligo and lupus.

NatureCriminal7896;4268008 said:
I know right? it wasn't his fault he had a disease plus the fake lies didn't make it no better. he was always black and always will be. people now and then really need to do their research on these fake lies and vitiligo and lupus.

Micheal didn’t help himself though did he, he didn’t confirm he had the skin disorder until 1993.

DPW;4268068 said:
Micheal didn’t help himself though did he, he didn’t confirm he had the skin disorder until 1993.

I know. :( he should of spoke out about his diseases when they was first starting out. then people would of got the idea. maybe he was too embarrassed about them and then later in his life he finally came out and said he had diseases because he actually couldn't hide it anymore due to the make up coming off and ruining his clothes. i really wish he didn't hide his skin condition. there are pictures of him showing his diseases. i really wish he keep it that way. poor mike. he was a beautiful inside and out. :(

On one hand, the 90s were some of the worst years for Mj. However, were it not for his personal issues we might not have had some of his best work. I would like the next doc on Mj be on the Dangerous/History era. Post 93 Mj got more "real" or personal because he was getting attacked and slandered. General public view MJ as an 80s artist but he still was successful in the 90s. Had 93 not happened Mj would have dominated the 90s just as much as the 80s imo. Up until that point he could do no wrong.

Michael is more then an 80's artist. he's an 60's child artist. 70's teen artist. late 70's-early 80's young adult artist. like he been doing this for 5 decades. each decade Michael have something good for him. i think 80's Michael is the one most people look up to is because so much was going on in that era. i see Michael more than an 80's artist but he did go bigger during the 80's.

Yeah I think without the Chandlers MJ was about to hit another level, even higher than he did. Superbowl + Oprah being good examples of this

The release of Dangerous album proved that MJ was still the biggest star in the planet (sold more then the Bad album).Then the allegations came out.....

That funny. i loved the BAD era but i don't like the dangerous era. maybe Michael didn't sell a lot in the USA in the BAD era because skin changes etc. that was stupid. more fans around the world loved this era. it's usa. that why Michael didn't do much for this country.

Yeah I think without the Chandlers MJ was about to hit another level, even higher than he did. Superbowl + Oprah being good examples of this
But oprah or the superbowl was never bigger than mj. Imo he made them!

Does anyone know how the 1993 Oprah Winfrey interview with Michael Jackson came about? Was it Oprah's idea, or was it the Jackson camp's idea?

Does anyone know how the 1993 Oprah Winfrey interview with Michael Jackson came about? Was it Oprah's idea, or was it the Jackson camp's idea?

It was Sandy Gallin's idea to humanize Michael and to make him reconnect to the American public.That was the point of the Oprah Interview, The Super Bowl and the Grammy awards appearance.

Last edited:
Elton-Cetera;4270143 said:

dethorro;4275671 said:
It was Sandy Gallin's idea to humanise Michael and to make him reconnect to the American public.That was the point of the Oprah Interview, The Super Bowl and the Grammy awards appearance.

The Oprah interview in 1993 was actually Bob Jones’ (his chief publicist at the time) idea, not Sandy Gallin’s.

Months before that interview, Michael Jackson was becoming ready to publicly acknowledge his skin disease (vitiligo) so as to finally put an end to those stories about him hating to be a black man.

He knew also that these stories cost him already less sales of his ‘BAD’ album because many black people believed these stories and, in turn, they did not buy that album.

Michael Jackson and Bob Jones during that period (prior to the Oprah interview) had several, very serious, and behind-closed-doors meetings about how Michael Jackson was going to publicly reveal that.

In those meetings, Michael Jackson would become so emotional that he was even crying his heart out.

As Bob Jones wrote, after many months of soul searching Michael Jackson felt eventually ready for that public admission of his skin disease.

The Oprah Winfrey Show looked like the perfect vehicle for that due to the program’s huge success and coverage at the time.

But the Oprah Winfrey Show served also another purpose for Michael Jackson.

It was also a way for him to boost sales of his newly released ‘Dangerous’ album (hence, his a cappella rendition of the ‘Who Is It’ song during that interview).

I was born in 1978 and became a fan in 1991. Old enough to remember very well the Dnagerous years as I was in high school I can without any doubt say that (at least in Europe) Michael was gigantic in the Dangerous era. The Opra interview had extremely big exposure, he had done several tv performances and together with the Dangerous tour and the numerous high quality top notch videos from the album he was a regular on the charts.

I wouldn't really limit his undoubted peak to 1993 as he was huge throughout the nineties, no matter the Chandler disaster.

Dangerous era is special for me. I was 6 at the time and it was the only time I could enjoy Michael in his prime. The album itself is wonderful, his best in my opinion. He was on fire on stage (until 1993 of course) and the Dangerous tour was something else. I've enjoyed a lot of MTV Michael Jackson weekends, specials en concert footage.

If 1993 didn't happen, he would set the world on fire with a short film of "Dangerous", shock the world with "Ghost" and we would get an official Dangerous Tour release in the highest quality available.

The Rock And Roll Hall of Fame officially uploaded The Jackson 5 induction today!!

Last edited:
Back