Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: What do you want to see from the Estate? (fans wishlist thread)

Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 155
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: What do you want to see from the Estate? (fans wishlist thread)

Quote Originally Posted by JichaelMackson View Post
    A warning beforehand would have helped lol. I listened on headphones and I think my ears are shattered now.
    So how does this work you reckon? This is one take of the song, I presume several more were done and then the best bits got edited together to form what in the end ended up on the album?

I'd love to hear stuff for shout or tabloid junkie now like this, perhaps I can make out what he is saying then :-D
    As I remember Michael wanted the experience of singing it all the way through with the full orchestra there in front of him, like a kinda Frank Sinatra type deal. But I must admit, my memory is a little hazy.

Also the audio quality in the clip here does not do it justice, and watching Michael at work and his reactions make it really special.

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience PointsThree Friends1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JichaelMackson View Post
    So how does this work you reckon? This is one take of the song, I presume several more were done and then the best bits got edited together to form what in the end ended up on the album?
    Yes.
    This song and Smile were both recorded live with an orchestra at the Hit Factory in New York on June 27th 1994.
    I don't know how many takes Michael did for Childhood but I know that he did 6 takes for Smile with the orchestra and then did another 14 takes by himself because he wasn't fully satisfied with the first 6.
    But in general that's how Michael recorded songs, it seems. He would sing them from top to bottom a couple of times and then decide which words or phrases sound best on which take.

Brad Sundberg posted a very interesting post on Facebook regarding this subject. I highly encourage you to read it.
    https://www.facebook.com/inthestudio...Cfw&__tn__=K-R

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registeredOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 947 Posts

MJ themed “Heal The World” cloth face masks. All proceeds to charity.
    Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenOrigami View Post
    MJ themed “Heal The World” cloth face masks. All proceeds to charity.
    Yes. we need this right now. awesome idea.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dethorro View Post
    This song and Smile were both recorded live with an orchestra at the Hit Factory in New York on June 27th 1994.
    That information is incorrect because ‘Smile’ and ‘Childhood’ were not recorded on June 27th, 1994.

These two songs were the very final songs that were recorded for the ‘HIStory’ album.

As confirmed also by Bruce Swedien, ‘Smile’ and ‘Childhood’ were recorded (the vocals and the orchestra) on March 29th, 1995.

I don't know how many takes Michael did for Childhood but I know that he did 6 takes for Smile with the orchestra and then did another 14 takes by himself because he wasn't fully satisfied with the first 6.
    According to video footage from the ‘Childhood’ recording sessions, Michael Jackson sings his vocals of ‘Childhood’ in only one take (with the exception of one line pick up).

Also, while he sings his first lines (of ‘Childhood’) he has his hands outstretched in a position that looks like he is about to fly, while at some other points while singing the song he clenches his fists out of his passion for the lines that he delivers.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    That information is incorrect because ‘Smile’ and ‘Childhood’ were not recorded on June 27th, 1994.
    That information is indeed correct and it has been confirmed by Brian Vibberts at the Brad x2 seminar.

These two songs were the very final songs that were recorded for the ‘HIStory’ album.

As confirmed also by Bruce Swedien, ‘Smile’ and ‘Childhood’ were recorded (the vocals and the orchestra) on March 29th, 1995.
    This can't be true. Bruce Swedien actually talked about both Childhood and Smile in an interview with the Black & White magazine on November 5th 1994.
    The interview was conducted in New York City at the Hit Factory studio.

(This has been translated from French):

Bruce Swedien : Michael wrote 2 songs for HIStory, which I would say are the best he has ever created... Words of those songs are the most personal and the most beautiful he has ever written. He went above and beyond him self. The horrible things he went thru lately inspired him a lot...

ВLACK&WHITE : These 2 songs you mentioned, what do they look like?

Bruce Swedien : The first one is pretty personal. In this song Michael explains he was not allowed to have a childhood, that he lost it, his voice is awesome in it. The second one is different. Michael wrote it in Moscow, when he was on tour. He was alone and tortured by the false accusations against him. He expressed his feelings writing wonderful words (BLACK &WHITE: Bruce sings us the song he thinks is lovely).
    The songs starts off with the sound of rain, this is the rain of Moscow, the rhythm is very complexed...there is an infinity of small sounds merged together, Michael makes drums (percussions) with his mouth.

Bruce Swedien : Michael's capabilities are so vast, he did amazing things for HIStory. In another song from the album, for example, he sang with all symphonic orchestra. He entered the studio with 80 musicians, they played their part and Michael sang in front of them. There was no interruption, it was unbelievable.

ВLACK&WHITE : Which song are you talking about?

Bruce Swedien : About the song dedicated to Charlie Chaplin.

ВLACK&WHITE : So, the version we will be listening to, was recorded live and without interruption?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dethorro For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

That information is indeed correct and it has been confirmed by Brian Vibberts at the Brad x2 seminar.

This can't be true. Bruce Swedien actually talked about both Childhood and Smile in an interview with the Black & White magazine on November 5th 1994.
    The interview was conducted in New York City at the Hit Factory studio.

(This has been translated from French):

Bruce Swedien : Michael wrote 2 songs for HIStory, which I would say are the best he has ever created... Words of those songs are the most personal and the most beautiful he has ever written. He went above and beyond him self. The horrible things he went thru lately inspired him a lot...

ВLACK&WHITE : These 2 songs you mentioned, what do they look like?

Bruce Swedien : The first one is pretty personal. In this song Michael explains he was not allowed to have a childhood, that he lost it, his voice is awesome in it. The second one is different. Michael wrote it in Moscow, when he was on tour. He was alone and tortured by the false accusations against him. He expressed his feelings writing wonderful words (BLACK &WHITE: Bruce sings us the song he thinks is lovely).
    The songs starts off with the sound of rain, this is the rain of Moscow, the rhythm is very complexed...there is an infinity of small sounds merged together, Michael makes drums (percussions) with his mouth.

Bruce Swedien : Michael's capabilities are so vast, he did amazing things for HIStory. In another song from the album, for example, he sang with all symphonic orchestra. He entered the studio with 80 musicians, they played their part and Michael sang in front of them. There was no interruption, it was unbelievable.

ВLACK&WHITE : Which song are you talking about?

Bruce Swedien : About the song dedicated to Charlie Chaplin.

ВLACK&WHITE : So, the version we will be listening to, was recorded live and without interruption?
    Again, your information about that is incorrect.

Brian Vibberts is also wrong about that.

Besides, your incorrect information is based on a …translated from French (!) interview which has some other mistakes, as well (such as, the “80 musicians” mistake).

In actual reality, the orchestra of those two songs consisted of 50 musicians (in other words, it was a 50-piece orchestra).

Bruce Swedien explained in his book all the details concerning the recording sessions of those two songs.

… We recorded “Smile” March 29, 1995 at the Hit Factory studios in New York… This piece of music was played by a large orchestra, mainly strings, with vocal…The studio I selected for this recording was the large music studio at the Hit Factory in New York… When we finished recording “Have You Seen My Childhood?” and the Charlie Chaplin song “Smile” with the orchestra, Michael asked me if he could go out in the studio and meet the musicians in the orchestra …” (Bruce Swedien, In The Studio With Michael Jackson)

As I said, my correct information can be confirmed also by other reliable sources, such as by the ‘Michael Jackson: All The Songs: The Story Behind Every Track’ book (by François Allard, Richard Lecocq) that states that both songs were recorded on 29 March, 1995.

Jeremy Lubbock who conducted the orchestration of those two songs can confirm also the correct date (29 March, 1995).

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Besides, your incorrect information is based on a …translated from French (!) interview which has some other mistakes, as well (such as, the “80 musicians” mistake).
    Just because the article comes from a French magazine doesn't mean that the information in it is wrong. You can't translate a number, so Bruce actually said in that interview that they used an 80-piece orchestra, even if it isn't true.
    It's Bruce's fault. Don't blame it on the translation.

Bruce Swedien explained in his book all the details concerning the recording sessions of those two songs.
    Every time I quote Michael Prince as a source in my posts you say that his memory isn't great and that he doesn't remember dates well. How do you know that Bruce Swedien (who btw was 75 years old in 2009 when he wrote the book) has a better memory?

Bruce has been wrong before. Like when he said that the Bad sessions started on January 5th 1987 (when they actually started in August 1986) or when he said that he used the Shure Sm7 on all of Michael's recordings apart from Earth Song (Brad Sundberg has confirmed that they used other microphones as well).

Oh and btw...production moved from the Hit Factory to Record One and Larabee Studios in December 1994/January 1995. So, Bruce is once again wrong. They couldn't have recorded any song on March 29th 1995 at the Hit Factory because they had moved from there 2 months prior to that date.

And one last thing...HIStory was mastered on March 28th 1995 at Bernie Grundmann's. This has been confirmed by Mike Smallcombe.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Just because the article comes from a French magazine doesn't mean that the information in it is wrong. You can't translate a number, so Bruce actually said in that interview that they used an 80-piece orchestra, even if it isn't true.
    It's Bruce's fault. Don't blame it on the translation.

Every time I quote Michael Prince as a source in my posts you say that his memory isn't great and that he doesn't remember dates well. How do you know that Bruce Swedien (who btw was 75 years old in 2009 when he wrote the book) has a better memory?

Bruce has been wrong before. Like when he said that the Bad sessions started on January 5th 1987 (when they actually started in August 1986) or when he said that he used the Shure Sm7 on all of Michael's recordings apart from Earth Song (Brad Sundberg has confirmed that they used other microphones as well).

Oh and btw...production moved from the Hit Factory to Record One and Larabee Studios in December 1994/January 1995. So, Bruce is once again wrong. They couldn't have recorded any song on March 29th 1995 at the Hit Factory because they had moved from there 2 months prior to that date.

And one last thing...HIStory was mastered on March 28th 1995 at Bernie Grundmann's. This has been confirmed by Mike Smallcombe.
    Bruce Swedien has also provided pictures (from the recording sessions of these two songs) that show the orchestra, the musical equipment, string set-ups, position of the microphones, etc, taken from inside the Hit Factory studios in New York.

These pictures were taken on March 29th 1995, the day when they recorded these two songs.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Bruce Swedien has also provided pictures (from the recording sessions of these two songs) that show the orchestra, the musical equipment, string set-ups, position of the microphones, etc, taken from inside the Hit Factory studios in New York.

These pictures were taken on March 29th 1995, the day when they recorded these two songs.
    Could you post these pictures from Bruce's book, please?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dethorro For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,354 Times in 486 Posts

Books and producers' memories are not always correct. I can confirm that both "Childhood" and "Smile" have been recorded and finished in 1994. I have SEVERAL official studio items that back it all up. Here's just one of them:

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Korgnex For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Korgnex View Post
    Books and producers' memories are not always correct. I can confirm that both "Childhood" and "Smile" have been recorded and finished in 1994. I have SEVERAL official studio items that back it all up. Here's just one of them:

Thank you for confirming this!
    Wow! You're lucky to own those

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Could you post these pictures from Bruce's book, please?
    Some of these Bruce Swedien’s pictures are included on certain of his books in the chapters where he writes about the recording of these two songs (such as, in his ‘Make Mine Music’ book).

He even includes diagrams of the entire orchestra set-up that are based on these pictures which were taken from inside the Hit Factory studios in New York on March 29th 1995 (for the recording of these two songs).

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks

They need to know what's going on, Dan Reed successfully applied to film the next court appearance of the liars, which suggests either a 2nd documentary or additional footage for LN?....and they didn't know! They were told by the fan community, how is that possible? Where is their head at? Don't forget many of the exposed lies were discovered by fans or a journalist (Mike Smallcombe).

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redstrots View Post
    They need to know what's going on, Dan Reed successfully applied to film the next court appearance of the liars, which suggests either a 2nd documentary or additional footage for LN?....and they didn't know! They were told by the fan community, how is that possible? Where is their head at? Don't forget many of the exposed lies were discovered by fans or a journalist (Mike Smallcombe).
    I hope not. i think his estate will do the samething as well. so i think they know.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.