Off The Wall laugh

MJJFan105

Proud Member
When the song Off The Wall starts, what's that laugh? Is that a hyena's laugh, devil's laugh, or a gremlin's laugh? Is that Michael Jackson doing the laughing sound?

it was Michael. he did it live when he performed it on the first leg of the 'bad' tour :laughing:

it was Michael. he did it live when he performed it on the first leg of the 'bad' tour :laughing:

Yep. It sure was Michael. I'm not sure what he was trying to be, though......I always thought it sounded strange. Lol

I always thought it sounded strange. Lol

I think that's the point. 'Off the wall' means weird/strange/eccentric, so I think he was trying to sound a bit crazy. That's what I got from it anyway, lol.

I always thought the intro to Off The Wall was a bit of the spooky side. Which makes me wonder if this inspired Rod Temperton to go on and write Thriller later on.

Michael said that it was 'hearbreak hotel' that inspired rod temperton musically to do 'thriller' (which was originally 'starlight'). I agree that 'off the wall' has some spooky elements though. that's why it fit in so well with the zombie montage in 'making Michael Jackson's thriller'. I thought that the song should have been included on the 'scream' compilation that was released a few years ago.

^
yikes! i'm glad they got rid of those background vocals on the pre chorus. there's something dark and unsettling about that song, 'get on the floor', and 'burn this disco out' musically :(
despite that, 'off the wall' is my favourite song on that album. it's always been about that harmonious, multi layered chorus for me. that's where the joy is! :)

Last edited:
I have no idea to be honest. I always thought it was someone's laugh pitched up. As a side note I love when Mike does the little laugh as the song starts on the Bad Tour, it's so cool just to see him looking he's having fun

Last edited:
LOL! it was Michael. i guess he was just being silly. something about Michael was that he always use do things i don't know what you never expect him to do? which one the characteristics i like about him and my mom too. like he would come off like goofy like randomly he would just start singing or dancing. which was so funny and kind of wired. not calling him wired. the beginning of off the wall does sounds creepy. i guess he was trying make it sounds scary but everytime i hear the beginning i laugh and smile like there's goes Michael he gonna start singing and fire this track it's time to dance. :laughing:

i miss Michael little senses of humor and things in life that made him and us smile.

bless him.

Michael said that it was 'hearbreak hotel' that inspired rod temperton musically to do 'thriller' (which was originally 'starlight'). I agree that 'off the wall' has some spooky elements though. that's why it fit in so well with the zombie montage in 'making Michael Jackson's thriller'. I thought that the song should have been included on the 'scream' compilation that was released a few years ago.

I agree. listening to heartbreak hotel does sounds creepy. someone said listening to it now since Michael isn't with us anymore sounds more creepy. and it does. Michael had a sense of dark humor too which alot people don't show alot of.

Can I just hijack this topic and ask about the spoken intro to Black or White? Was it Macaulay Culkin or some other kid?

SilkySnare;4269896 said:
Can I just hijack this topic and ask about the spoken intro to Black or White? Was it Macaulay Culkin or some other kid?

The spoken word intro to the ‘Black Or White’ song comes from Macaulay Culkin.

mj_frenzy;4269900 said:

I thought it was a different kid. I'm sure I read that somewhere. It doesn't sound like Macaulay Culkin.

Anna;4269927 said:
I thought it was a different kid. I'm sure I read that somewhere. It doesn't sound like Macaulay Culkin.

In the album's version of the ‘Black Or White’ song, yes it is a different kid: the spoken word intro comes from Andres McKenzie.

But, as I said before, in the song’s version that was used for the music video (played also on his tours), the spoken word intro comes from Macaulay Culkin.

mj_frenzy;4269900 said:

mj_frenzy;4270043 said:
But, as I said before, in the song’s version that was used for the music video (played also on his tours), the spoken word intro comes from Macaulay Culkin.

uhm, ok..

Last edited:
SilkySnare;4270059 said:
uhm, ok..

I know, I should have phrased it better in my first post (that I was not referring to the album’s version of the song, but to the other version of the song).

mj_frenzy;4270043 said:
In the album's version of the ‘Black Or White’ song, yes it is a different kid: the spoken word intro comes from Andres McKenzie.

interesting! i always thought it was macaulay on the album version, too. do we know why there was another kid speaking the intro on the album?

Glanni;4270180 said:
interesting! i always thought it was macaulay on the album version, too. do we know why there was another kid speaking the intro on the album?

The song’s spoken intro (album version) had already been recorded with that other kid by the time Michael Jackson talked for the first time to Macaulay Culkin (right after the release of the ‘Home Alone’ film) in order to collaborate together.

Look back at Off The Wall. i just found out Off The Wall is suppose to be sort of creepy in the first place. if you look at michael at the cover image you can see he sort of jumped "off the wall" lol! that's makes sense and sort of creepy. :laughing:

I guess this means off the wall really about Michael coming to life from an wall image seeking about town late at night. i could be wrong but what's i'm thinking form it.

Michael was always an prankster. lol! bless him. :laughing:

This may be a dumb question, but why does 'Black or White' have that intro to begin with? I suppose it makes sense with the video, as a little skit or something, but when you listen to the song by itself, it literally makes no sense lol. It provides no context / is not related in anyway to the theme of the rest of the actual song... I don't see it. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I would like to know (y)

Back