Am I the only one who prefers the more raw and funky version of Another Part Of Me from Captain EO?

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
This version is so goddamn funky and raw and imo it sounds a lot more organic than the one on Bad, (less computerized). I love the version on Bad but this one edges it out for me. The estate should release this version some day.

I'm always on the fence with this. I love the Bad album version but I always find myself coming back to the Captain Eo version. You're right it's so funky and raw, the bass really slaps, plus it feels more front and centre in the mix.
As much as I love the album versions of tracks, I do go back the demos for their funky rawness, it's something that came naturally to Mike and I sometimes feel he polished it almost too much out of his catalogue. That's why I'm so glad these different versions exist so we can have the best of both worlds.

Another Part Of Me, is one of my favourite songs, that bass and them vocals are just everything. It's like Startin' Somethin' for me though, I find myself listening the live version more than anything else because it just feels so funky and energetic.

I'm always on the fence with this. I love the Bad album version but I always find myself coming back to the Captain Eo version. You're right it's so funky and raw, the bass really slaps, plus it feels more front and centre in the mix.
As much as I love the album versions of tracks, I do go back the demos for their funky rawness, it's something that came naturally to Mike and I sometimes feel he polished it almost too much out of his catalogue. That's why I'm so glad these different versions exist so we can have the best of both worlds.

Another Part Of Me, is one of my favourite songs, that bass and them vocals are just everything. It's like Startin' Somethin' for me though, I find myself listening the live version more than anything else because it just feels so funky and energetic.

Man that is so true. A lot of MJ songs in their formative state sounds so much looser and funkier. I love the raw energy of Captain EO's Another Part Of Me. That Moog bass is just out of this world! Another Part Of Me is my favorite track off of Bad, (also my favorite live performance), but the EO version is just on another level for me.

I really appreciate songs like Come Together and She Got it etc.

Yeah I definitely feel it. APOM isn't just great because of the funk but it's great to see him just be free on stage and have a laugh, without worrying too much about a structured choreography

Yeah man I'm with that, Come Together is incredible (especially the full version, naa, naa, naa, naa, naaaa) and She Got It, is just so funky it's almost illegal haha, what a track

Back