Has Michael ever disappointed you in terms of his studio vocals?

Hudson112

Proud Member
We talk about how we don’t like certain MJ songs, but from what I’ve read on the forum and elsewhere, whenever I see someone go off on a song they don’t like, I never hear them say “His singing was awful on that one.” (If I did, I forgot) How about you? Are the reasons behind why you don’t like certain MJ songs ever because of his vocals? I’m curious. This doesn’t include live vocals since those can be easy to criticize, just studio vocals.

No, I don't think I can recall a studio recording that would disappoint me with MJ's vocals. There are some things that I would have done a little differently in terms of background vocals or harmonies but I can't recall that ever concerting the quality of the vocals per se.

I was disappointed with his vocals on One More Chance. His vocals sounded quite strained.

I mean... the album Invincible has some great songs on it, but let's be honest, it's not Michael's best. Some songs, imo, don't have the same force on it as others like You Rock My World.

Last edited:
The only time Michael's vocals have ever ruined a song for me is "Heaven Can Wait."

it's not dissapointing, i just don't understand why he sang Give in to me verses of note at times.

No I can't say I have. I don't think some of his vocals on the Invincible album are the best admittedly (when compared to his best) , but they didn't disappoint me at all

Quite the opposite, Michael's vocals elevate some songs, (Just Good Friends, Keep The Faith, Can't Let Her Get Away, some of the Off The Wall tracks), were I do think if other singers would have sung them I doubt they'd be as highly regarded

Quite the opposite, Michael's vocals elevate some songs, (Just Good Friends, Keep The Faith, Can't Let Her Get Away, some of the Off The Wall tracks), were I do think if other singers would have sung them I doubt they'd be as highly regarded

This is a very interesting point and one that I totally agree with. It reminds me of the way I always wait to hear Michael's entrance, on certain songs. Elevate them, he does - e.g. "Can You Feel It".

Invincible bashing incoming, please equip your "He didn't sing nicely" armour.

No but seriously, Invincible vocals are his most unique and distinct. That doesn't make them bad, I wish people would stop thinking that.

I love his vocals on every song, it was surprising to see people bash Invincible or even One More Chance. Love them both.

I never ever liked beautiful girl. Its so not him. Its a very boring track imo. I love everything else but that 1 song!

I didn't enjoy the aggressive, strained, loud, and angry vocal style he adopted for the majority of the songs post-'we are the world'.

I didn't enjoy the aggressive, strained, loud, and angry vocal style he adopted for the majority of the songs post-'we are the world'.
So, the songs from Bad album to Invincible album?

So, the songs from Bad album to Invincible album?

most of them i'm afraid..

i'm partial to Michael's clear smooth croon, and unfortunately that was relegated to ballads after the early 80's. I find ballads to be boring in general with very few exceptions ('human nature').

I loved the aggressive vocals on 'beat it', but after that they became more severe, overused, and out of context to the meaning of the song ('she drives me wild' for example). it felt like I was being yelled at and it frightened me. I actually think that 'dangerous' was his worst album vocally.

I've actually discussed this in more depth in a thread about 'hold my hand'.

83magic;4269950 said:
it felt like I was being yelled at and it frightened me.
I guess you don't listen to much Beyoncé or Patti LaBelle then. :laughing:

No disappointment here.

No but seriously, Invincible vocals are his most unique and distinct. That doesn't make them bad, I wish people would stop thinking that.

I prefer that an artist doesn't sound the same all through their career.

I was really disappointed with the vocals on Breaking News, Keep Your Head Up and Monster. Michael really didn't sound like himself on those

I was really disappointed with the vocals on Breaking News, Keep Your Head Up and Monster. Michael really didn't sound like himself on those

He always tried to reinvent himself, you know. The more the songs resembled his earlier work, the more his vocals had to ... stand out.

Back