Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Change in Michael's Message and Image After 'Thriller'

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First Class3 months registered5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Re: Has Michael ever disappointed you in terms of his studio vocals?

Quote Originally Posted by WannaScream View Post
    Maybe "sexy" dancing is more accurate and he might have admitted to that lol
    lol! you probably right. Michael always use his words differently. either way i don't think it was right to dances like that in front of children though.

a female with depression,generalized anxiety,who is intellectual delay with other mental delays

Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First Class3 months registered5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

It's common for serious dancers to be able to express some things through the dance better than they can at other times. And again common for performers to be able to magnify certain elements of themselves while on the stage.
    You know what your right! maybe Michael wasn't sexually dancing half of the time. i think we all miss the fact when he is dancing. most people dance is because their telling a story and Michael was an entertainer! yeah. it all makes sense now.

a female with depression,generalized anxiety,who is intellectual delay with other mental delays

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Michael was born to dance. it was his gift and he said it also.

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

There is nothing predatory or creepy in ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’ music video.

That is just another false theory that has been perpetuated for so many years.

I will explain:

Tatiana Thumbtzen accidentally fell down to the ground right after exiting the car, she then stood up and continued to walk again but she was laughing because of her misfortune.

The scene where she fell down was cut off from the official version of the music video, but the director kept the following scene with her laughing.

The director decided to keep the following scene with her laughing because, like Michael Jackson, wanted to show to viewers that there is nothing predatory or creepy in that video.

Also, look how that video ends: at the end Tatiana Thumbtzen eventually hugs him, meaning that it was all part of a playful game all along.

Michael Jackson decided to make that perfectly clear (that there is nothing predatory or creepy in the video’s message) by also putting the moment of the hug on the official cover of that single.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

You know even though Michael image changed over the years his message never did. love one another. peace on earth. heal the world. save the children. this never changed and that shows in his songs man in the mirror, the earth song, heal the world and many more.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Re: message

Quote Originally Posted by 83magic View Post
    even though 'thriller' was a horror, no one actually got hurt. yet that was rated 15!
    I didn't know thriller was rated 15 during the time. looking back at it it wasn't all that horror. yes there are parts in the video that was spooky and creepy. but rated 15 is alittle too much. i watched thriller as an child and i didn't get any nightmares from it. maybe an real small child would be scared by it.

Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Okay, I've moved over everything and done a bit of cleaning. Try and stay on topic for this one, fam.

Sorry Anna, I wasn't sure if we are to start posting in the new thread straight away or if that would mess up the order of the posts!
    All posts in the thread remain ordered by time of publishing after being moved, so it's all good. Thanks.

'Immerse your soul in love.'

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Re: the change in michael's message and image after 'thriller'

There not really wrong with the Moonwalker though i do feel what made this movie PG-13 was Mr. Big trying to take katie and give her drugs. that part is actually cut out in the new releases of the movie. i felt this movie wasn't bad. but it still need to be rated PG though. due to drugs,guns,and killing. either way not a bad movie at all. if you think that bad like i said early in this post watch looney tunes and tom & jerry now that's 5 times worst then this movie. it's all pretend and not mean to be taken seriously.

though that drug part in the moonwalker was an somewhat seriously thing because there are people out then and now who want kids to do drugs etc. so that was very serious thing. especially during that time. it was a real big deal. it's still a deal now not mistaking.

at the end of one of the moonwalker games it does say something about drugs. i think says say no to drugs or something like that. so i wouldn't say the moonwalker is an bad movie. just telling kids that drugs are bad and say no to them. great message!

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks

Michael demonstrated more maturity and security in his individuality in 'beat it', than in 'bad' or 'the way you make me feel'. in a way, he was the 'adult' who had to get out of bed in the middle of the night to stop these 'kids' from fighting. the way he strutted into the hallway of his apartment building showed confidence. he didn't want or need to seek approval from any group.

unlike 'bad' where he's caught between two worlds, and ends up being a strange mixture of good and evil.

or 'the way you make me feel', where his antics seem to done with the intention of impressing the gang than charming the lady. a lady who clearly was never interested in him in the first place. she initially ignored him when he approached her, causing the gang to laugh at him. unable to take the rejection and embarrassment, he yells at her, stopping her dead in her tracks. it's a controlling tactic - especially considering that she doesn't have a voice at all. again, what would happen if she continued walking? would he have gotten louder? closer? more aggressive? she's visibly shaken. then, and later when caught in a dead end. other than that, she looks annoyed. she was trying to go about her business. he uses the environment them to his advantage in order to trap her. she constantly pushes him away. he constantly follows her because he has no boundaries. I interpret her laughter to be out of astonishment instead of joy. she tries to accommodate him a little every now and then so he would satisfied and leave her alone! right until the end she tries to escape through a locked door. then there's the dance.. are we to believe she fell in love with him after that? it was lewd - with nothing romantic about it at all. the fact that it was done with the gang made it impersonal, and highlighted the fact that she was outnumbered. that hug didn't match the tone of the rest of the chase. they were supposed to kiss, but Michael didn't want that in reality. when it was re-enacted onstage, Michael was kissed and the lady was fired. further proving that this was an act.

'thriller' had a mutual courtship between the two leads (even though they were already an item). she actually had dialogue too! when Michael playfully teases and dances around her, she smiles at him. he smiles at her. he places his arm around her. she strokes his chin. the two of them look as though they're in bliss as they walk hand in hand. *this* is romantic chemistry! no one is being forced into anything. they both enjoy spending time together. Michael liked the fact that she thought she was safe with him.

I doubt that she'd feel safe with Michael's behaviour in 'the way you make me feel'. however, that, along with the 'bad' campaign in general, about him trying to be 'one of the guys'. he already told us he wasn't like them in 'thriller', and we believed him. he already told us he was a lover not a fighter, and we believed him. in fact, 'beat it' foretold the future in a way with the line 'but you wanna be bad!'. same with 'that's what you get for being polite'; 'he wants to be so bad all the time getting in, things he can't get out'. the term is used as a negative in both instances.

Michael had been dancing for the first half of his life without grabbing himself. I find it hard to believe it was a necessity. the foundation for what he did later on was already laid down. it would have been fine if he was an 'adult' artist like his contemporaries , but he always maintained that he was safe for all ages - especially children. I know some people who got in trouble at school for dancing like Michael because they grabbed themselves. they didn't know any better. they were just coping their hero. parents had every right to be upset with the panther segment in 'black or white'. it made its debut without any trigger warnings to precede it. what does grabbing yourself have to do with protesting racial injustice? according to director john landis, Michael wanted to have a scene where he unzipped his pants!

as far as the violence goes, I think tone counts for a lot. the examples given of the variety show and even 'home alone', were more cartoonish and slapstick in comparison to the intense and realistic 'moonwalker'. again, what about the drugs? when they used to air the movie on the bbc, the scene where mr big tries to inject katie is edited out. it wasn't suitable for pre watershed viewing.

steven speilberg said that if e.t didn't come to Elliot's house, he would have came to Michael's. he described him as a fawn in a burning forest. the last of the living innocents. this was in the early 80's. the redesign of the jacksons' family home hayvenhurst, was a predecessor to neverland. he was already known as peter pan, and he embraced the term wholeheartedly. which is why he was due to play the role in the movie in '83 as suggested by friend jane fonda. he wouldn't even have to act. just like the scarecrow in 'the wiz'. the character was changed after Michael eventually declined and the role went to robin Williams a decade later.

once Michael changed his image to become edgy, peter pan was no longer a natural fit. no matter how long he tried to hold on to it. it ceased seeming genuine. I think being a Jehovah's witness kept Michael humble. it shaped his morals, and kept him focused on what was important. I agree with latoya, and what some others in this thread have said, that him doing certain things after he left was an act of rebellion. one that he would pay the price for..
    'if 1983 isn't the year of Michael Jackson, it isn't the year of anybody' - dick clark

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NatureCriminal7896 View Post
    You know what your right! maybe Michael wasn't sexually dancing half of the time. i think we all miss the fact when he is dancing. most people dance is because their telling a story and Michael was an entertainer! yeah. it all makes sense now.
    The thing is this was his story, rather than joining someone else's production or whatever. It's hard to articulate what I mean but I can only say that although he may have partly chosen moves for the audience, I feel they were also moves that he wanted to perform himself and he enjoyed that. Take the Panther Dance for example, that was apparently quite loosely choreographed but look at what he was channelling. When he was dancing I think it was genuine in that moment even if he then snapped out of it when the music or dancing stopped. Both can be true: Michael can be a genuinely perfect gentleman off the stage but he can also express another part of himself through a dance. This is just how I see it. We should also bear in mind that sometimes people interpret an artists' work differently than the artist intended so there is probably an element of that.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

him doing certain things after he left was an act of rebellion.
    That can happen when people are under too much control and have parts of them supressed because of it.

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks

The thing is this was his story, rather than joining someone else's production or whatever. It's hard to articulate what I mean but I can only say that although he may have partly chosen moves for the audience, I feel they were also moves that he wanted to perform himself and he enjoyed that. Take the Panther Dance for example, that was apparently quite loosely choreographed but look at what he was channelling. When he was dancing I think it was genuine in that moment even if he then snapped out of it when the music or dancing stopped. *Both can be true: Michael can be a genuinely perfect gentleman off the stage but he can also express another part of himself through a dance.* This is just how I see it. We should also bear in mind that sometimes people interpret an artists' work differently than the artist intended so there is probably an element of that.
    Exactly. That is all that needs to be said.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

The other thing, in terms of being a role model... I think it's unfair to expect that of him at the expense of being an artist. Most artists find it therapeutic to engage in their art. That Panther dance seems to be to be the piece of work where he was most free. By all accounts he never expressed himself or behaved that way elsewhere so it was a healthy outlet. I don't think artistic expression should be stifled, both for the artists sake but also because it can lose the magic that is created from genuine art.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to WannaScream For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,423 Times in 910 Posts

unlike 'bad' where he's caught between two worlds, and ends up being a strange mixture of good and evil.
    Beat It was fiction. Also notice that Mike wears a red jacket, which could represent the Bloods. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to try to stop a fight wearing the color of a gang that might be a rival of the 2 gangs in the video. The Bad video was based on the life of a real person who was killed. So it would have to follow the story of Edmund Perry, who had the peer pressure when he returned to his hood home from his prep school.

Michael had been dancing for the first half of his life without grabbing himself. I find it hard to believe it was a necessity. the foundation for what he did later on was already laid down. it would have been fine if he was an 'adult' artist like his contemporaries , but he always maintained that he was safe for all ages - especially children.
    Dance styles change. Mike went through the first half of his life without Moonwalking. He might have seen The Time, who did the crotch grabbing around 1982. Janet was a big fan of the group. She later found big success working with 2 members of The Time (Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis). Janet said in an interview once that she was embarrassed when she went to one of their concerts with her mother. Not because of the show but that her mother had to be there. I assume that this was probably a Prince concert, since The Time opened for him and most likely it was when Prince was wearing bikini underwear and stockings onstage pre-1999.
    Most likely it was rappers who popularized crotch grabbing to the mainstream audience. Hip hop was starting to get some mainstream popularity around 1985 or 1986 with Run DMC & The Fat Boys. The Breakin' movie was a big hit and a sequel was made. Mike was incorporating breaking & popping moves into his dance style in the 1980s. Breakdancing and grafitti art is a part of hip hop. Originally Run DMC was supposed to participate on a song on the Bad album, but it didn't work out. Around the same time Mike's Bad song came out, LL Cool J also had a song called Bad and some radio stations would mix the songs together. New Jack Swing first started at this time too and it was R&B singing mixed with more street hip hop & Go-Go beats.

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks

unlike the moonwalk or the robot, grabbing oneself is not a dance step that requires years of practice to master. it's about context too; what was he trying to express in regards to racism by doing that? I seriously doubt that this had been building up inside him since was a young man, or that he was supressed by his religion. rather, he was influenced by what others were doing at the time, and more importantly, it was in response to the criticism that he was too clean cut. it wasn't genuine, which is why he was singled out for it. the public expected that kind of behaviour from those other artists. not Michael.

he marketed himself a role model for the youth. no one made him do that. he (privately, and sometimes publicly) criticised other acts who were raunchy or used profanity. as the president said in '84, he was proof of what one could accomplish with a clean lifestyle. he compromised his values for popularity. it was a step backwards. before he created trends, now he was following them. he never would have commissioned paintings of himself in Jesus' place at the last supper (!) had he remained a witness. or paraded around in military jackets flanked by soldiers. he certainly wouldn't have erected a statue of himself to float down thames. he became larger than life and no one could tell him anything. there was a domineering and sinister energy that seeped into his music and the way he presented himself. what he represented before all of that was something positive and unique.

Michael wore blue in 'the way you make me feel' which featured the crips. should that be looked at as an endorsement? the 'beat it' video may have been fictional, but at least the song was solutions based and represented Michael's true stance on violence (he spoke about this in his autobiography). it had more of an impact as well.

wasn't 'bad' supposed to be about a young man who got shot by a plain clothes police officer? I didn't see any reference of that in the film..
    'if 1983 isn't the year of Michael Jackson, it isn't the year of anybody' - dick clark