Was there a planned album after 'Invincible'?

Serpens Albus

Proud Member
I apologize if this is a discussion that has been talked about to death, but I would like to know if there was anything going on / planned after 'Invincible' (2001). I believe he did record new music, but I am not sure what exactly was going to happen. I've heard the title "'Resurrection'" being thrown around here and there. And when I hear about leaks or other unreleased songs, They are usually from the 'Invincible' era all the way back to 'Off the Wall'.

Resurrection is fan fiction fake. Michael worked on many songs in 2008-09, it was planned to record full vocals for them during break of This Is It concerts. Sadly this never happened and most of this song are only instrumentals with almost no vocals. I heard also that MJ started working on new album in 2003 but due to greedy arvizos, recordings were cancelled.

Apparently there was an album planned and practically ready around 2007/2008, according to Damien Sheilds. But Sony didn’t think it was good enough.

nextbigthing56;4271369 said:
Apparently there was an album planned and practically ready around 2007/2008, according to Damien Sheilds. But Sony didn’t think it was good enough.

Interesting. Sony strikes again.

Don't think any album was planned after Invincible, but if the unfortunate events of 2003-05 didn't happen, Michael would most likely have released a new album in 2005/2006, as he liked to take 4-5 years between albums.

First I've heard of this and don't think it's true at all honestly.

2006-2009 - Michael was working on new music with artists like Ne-Yo, Akon and Will I Am, while also working on music by himself.
2009 - This Is It is announced

Looking at that time line, I think a new album was planned. It would have probably been released around the time of This Is It

The mixture of "I'm so excited" and "I'm so depressed" feelings while talking about such topics is a really strange cocktail for me....

To be able to listen to Michael's new album...uuggghhhhh,,,ggnnn....

Interesting because he was still dealing with the 2 Seas Entertainment situation at the time, if I remember correctly

If MJ had a final album that was done and unheard it would have been released already imo.

Didnt Akon say he had a few songs completed with MJ? Maybe not enough for a full album though. He said hes never going to release them sadly.

Screw Sony.

So the music that will.i.am,neyo & etc are only instrumentals?

Probably. Just like e.g. Remember The Time and In The Closet where (Teddy Riley). Or the original Dangerous (Bill Botrell).
That's how MJ worked with many producers - they provided instrumentals and if MJ liked them, he came up with vocal melodies and lyric skeetches (or inspired changes/evolvements in the instrumental).

Artists like R.Kelly however provided MJ with full songs, where they sing on the 'demo'. Compare to 'Whatever happens' or 'Butterflies'.

So unless MJ had already come up with something and layed it (loosely) on top of the instrumental ... there would only be the instrumental. Which my guess is at least for most of the will.i.am stuff.

Bill Botrell was also asked to come to Bahrain in 2006 to work on music - which he did. But since MJ never showed up, all you would have were instrumentals. Which were intended for MJ but didn't have MJ on them.

So you see, there are all kinds of stages a song can go through. Hard to say if and when it's really an MJ song.

Will.I.Am tracks probably has some minor vocals, humming etc

Judging by the leaked snippets

https://youtu.be/quSUhkjvcO0

Michael Jackson returned to studio in 2003 to rework songs that did not make the ‘Invincible’ album.

These songs were mostly songs that he had already worked with Rodney Jerkins during the ‘Invincible’ sessions.

For that reason, he called Rodney Jerkins again who immediately accepted to work with Michael Jackson for one more time for a brand new studio album (although Rodney Jerkins was also busy working on other artists’ albums at that time).

This should not be confused with the fake ‘Resurrection’ album project which was just a result of an idea that some dissatisfied fans (with the whole ‘Invincible’ sad situation) came up with.

Also, in 2007 (February), Raymone Bain (who was his official representative at the time) confirmed that the main reason for Michael Jackson's temporary residence in Las Vegas was that he found it a convenient location to record with the artists, songwriters, and producers who were working with him the studio.

Few months later (June), a brand new studio album was almost complete, as Raymone Bain confirmed by saying that Michael Jackson was putting finishing touches on it.

In 2008 (May), American producer Ne-Yo revealed that he was submitting songs to Michael Jackson for a new studio album.

Ne-Yo stated also that this was going to be a very important album for Michael Jackson.

The following month (June), Ne-Yo became more specific and said that he was submitting songs as MP3s via email to Michael Jackson.

Michael Jackson after hearing these submitted songs (and after demanding slight changes to some of them) he found them perfect and he continued to request even more songs from Ne-Yo for a new album.

That recorded material (coming from Ne-Yo) also still exists and it consists of nearly completed songs with Michael Jackson’s vocals on many of them.

In short, there was not only a planned studio album (after ‘Invincible’), but also there is still a lot of nearly completed unheard material from those years.

If i memory serves me right there was talks that part of a Classical album had been recorded, but i don't know if that was just rumours or what.

That's interesting mj_frenzy, I did'n't know all that. I didn't realise Michael recorded any Ne-Yo tracks

Thats because he didn't. Neither NeYo nor Brad Buxer, Prince etc confirmed MJ recorded them. Brad said MJ recorded very little in 2008 and Prince said im 2009 it was all TII.

That's "Fly Girl" by will.i.am from his 2007 album Songs About Girls. I don't think it was ever supposed to be an MJ song. He was probably just previewing his album for Michael in that snippet (which is from that Access Hollywood interview from 2006 IIRC).

That's "Fly Girl" by will.i.am from his 2007 album Songs About Girls. I don't think it was ever supposed to be an MJ song. He was probably just previewing his album for Michael in that snippet (which is from that Access Hollywood interview from 2006 IIRC).
Exactly. The whole video went thru my head while listening to this

mj_frenzy;4271494 said:
Michael Jackson returned to studio in 2003 to rework songs that did not make the ‘Invincible’ album.

These songs were mostly songs that he had already worked with Rodney Jerkins during the ‘Invincible’ sessions.

For that reason, he called Rodney Jerkins again who immediately accepted to work with Michael Jackson for one more time for a brand new studio album (although Rodney Jerkins was also busy working on other artists’ albums at that time).

This should not be confused with the fake ‘Resurrection’ album project which was just a result of an idea that some dissatisfied fans (with the whole ‘Invincible’ sad situation) came up with.

Also, in 2007 (February), Raymone Bain (who was his official representative at the time) confirmed that the main reason for Michael Jackson's temporary residence in Las Vegas was that he found it a convenient location to record with the artists, songwriters, and producers who were working with him the studio.

Few months later (June), a brand new studio album was almost complete, as Raymone Bain confirmed by saying that Michael Jackson was putting finishing touches on it.

In 2008 (May), American producer Ne-Yo revealed that he was submitting songs to Michael Jackson for a new studio album.

Ne-Yo stated also that this was going to be a very important album for Michael Jackson.

The following month (June), Ne-Yo became more specific and said that he was submitting songs as MP3s via email to Michael Jackson.

Michael Jackson after hearing these submitted songs (and after demanding slight changes to some of them) he found them perfect and he continued to request even more songs from Ne-Yo for a new album.

That recorded material (coming from Ne-Yo) also still exists and it consists of nearly completed songs with Michael Jackson’s vocals on many of them.

In short, there was not only a planned studio album (after ‘Invincible’), but also there is still a lot of nearly completed unheard material from those years.

I'm sorry but this sounds like complete fantasy to me. The estate would not just sit on a near finished 2007 era album from MJ.

I'm sorry but this sounds like complete fantasy to me. The estate would not just sit on a near finished 2007 era album from MJ.

True. Plus, the only source seems to be Raymone Bain, whom does not really correspond to the definition of reliable. But still, we could be wrong, but it's unlikely.

No way is this true. It makes no sense.

Since 2009, we've received two studio albums and a total of 22 songs (excluding the three Cascio tracks), 12 of which have never been heard before in any capacity. Only TWO of these 22 songs were recorded post-trial, and only ONE of those ("Best of Joy") was previously unheard.

Also, remember that the Estate paid Eddie Cascio an exorbitant amount of money when he offered them 12 finished songs that MJ supposedly recorded in 2007, then ignored the advice of countless collaborators and family members and included THREE of those songs on an album.

Also also, at least four of the collaborators MJ worked with between 2005-09 have stated publicly, in no uncertain terms, that the majority of the material they worked on together is radically incomplete. Ne-Yo doesn't even know if MJ recorded any of the demos he sent.

Also also also, WHY would Michael return to Sony with a new album in 2008? Sure, he was willing to set aside the difficulties to churn out Thriller 25, but by all accounts he still despised that company and was under no obligation to work with them in such a capacity. I'd sooner believe he'd release the album independently before ever handing it to Sony.

If Michael Jackson left behind anything resembling a finished album from 2007-08, the Cascio tracks would have never been released, we'd have more than one new song from that era, and the people with first-hand knowledge of the respective recording sessions would be singing different tunes.

I don't know who Damien Shields's source is on this one, but he should stop consulting them.

Michael didn’t record a lot of songs after the Invincible era, due to various reasons. And the songs that he recorded, hardly any was finished. I strongly doubt that he had an album ready to be released in 2007/2008. That’s complete nonsense.

In June 2002, Michael attended a fan event organised by MJNI in London where he said, "I Promise You, The Best Is Yet To Come!"

I attended that event, and was a bit confused as to what he meant, 'cause in that same speech, he also mentioned that he was gonna leave Sony and he only owes them one more album (which will be a Box-Set)

Watch from 51:35: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6glbGZOzXo

I remember (about a month later) Rodney Jerkins conducted an interview where he stated that his best work with Michael was not on the Invincible album and that he can't wait to work for Michael again. I believed (at that time) that MJ did this purposefully (not putting some of his best work on the album) 'cause he knew that Sony wouldn't promote the record due to a dispute he had with the record company.

5 Months later (Jan 2003) Xscape gets leaked. That was when I was a bit excited over the possibility of a new album being released.

But then the following month was "Living With Michael Jackson" (Martin Bashir's Documentary) which may have halted some future projects.

I think Sony then tried testing the waters with the compilation album, "Number Ones" which came in November that year. Unfortunately the USA release of the album coincided on the same day Neverland got raided.

Last edited:

That's from the 'Access Hollywood' TV interview when Will visited Michael in Ireland.
Will played Michael some of his latest beats (to possibly collaborate on).
That little "whoohooo" is not Michael.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsIeI8F2IUI

After the leaks of Escape and Hold My Hand Michael probably became super careful about his vocals and recorded them as late as possible in the process and kept things on separate harddrives, to reduce the possibilty of another way too early leak.

Back