'A Dancer's Body'

Snowbunny Sorcerer

Proud Member
I don't know what the hell this is supposed to mean, and more importantly, have we got verifible evidence the MJ actually said this?

If we look at the majority of the professsional dancers of the 20th century (including the the ones cited as his influences i.e. Astaire, Kelly, Brown, Wilson, Fosse etc) almost none of them were as gaunt as MJ was in his prime.

I think he did say that. Michael didn't eat a lot he was an picky eater. he watched what he ate to keep in shape. after all he was an dancer. Michael claimed after doing all his shows he lost about 2 or 3 pounds while dancing. :) he ate healthy and had his cheat days.

i feel he kind of right for you wanna be an dancer. you have be in shape. not saying being a little overweight means you can't be one. :)

Michael was very slim. but he gain weight later in life when the doctors told him to pick up his diet like eating sushi. he liked sushi. earlier in his life he was actually an vegetarian. :)

oh yeah he also loved KFC. :laughing:

Now that i think about it I Don't think there is a direct quote michael attributing his low weight to the "Dancers body" ideal.

From My Family, The Jacksons by Katherine Jackson:

On pg. 145, Katherine speaks about Michael weight, even though hesaid that food was the only thing in his whole life that he had control over, everything else was controlled:

The other key to his good health, I believe, had been his diet. Before Michael had left on tour, his doctor had insisted that he go on a high protein diet, including fish, so that he'd be able to keep his stamina up. Michael had reluctantly agreed. Even before Michael became a vegetarian in the late seventies, worried about his lack of interest in food. When the family would go out for hot-fudge sundaes, be the only one who wouldn't want one. I'm not hungry he'd say. Now what kid turns down a hot fudge sundae? I'm ashamed to admit that sometimes La Toya and I would eat two of them a day. After Michael took Jermaine's lead and decided to forgo meat, he became even less interested in eating then before. He employed a full time chef, but I dont know why he bothered. When she took him his food, he'd eat two tablespoons then leave the rest. If I didnt eat to live, I'd never eat em he told me. One day a week Michael fasted, I'm cleaning my body out, which is a healthy thing to do, he explained. But instead of laying low that day to conserve his energy, Micheal would dance non-stop for two hours on his portable dance floor. Michael enjoyed having the last word in our arguments about his diet. You're always worrying about me being too skinny he'd say, but you know what? My doctor told me I was in number one shape. So stop worrying about me. I should be worried about you. You're the one who keeps putting all the bad stuff into your body. But the Victory tour had gotten the better of Michael physically. He suffered from exhaustion and dehydration. The memory of his illness was still fresh in his mind when his doctor laid down the law about his diet for his solo tour. I of course, hoped that after a year of eating three square meals a day, Michael had developed a permanent interest in food. But my hope was dashed the first time we talked after I joined him overseas. Happy as he was with the way the tour had gone to that point, he told me, I'll be glad when it's all over, so I can start eating the way I want to again. I'm tired of forcing myself to eat.

From Moonwalk page 227-230

I first became well known, I had a lot of baby fat and a very round, chubby face. That roundness stayed with me until several years ago when I changed my diet and stopped eating beef, chicken, pork and fish, as well as certain fattening foods. I just wanted to look better, live better, and be healthier. Gradually, as I lost weight, my face took on its present shape and the press started accusing me of surgically altering my appearance, beyond the nose job I freely admitted I had, like many performers and film stars.

. . .

I’d like to set the record straight right now. I have never had my cheeks altered or my eyes altered. I have not had my lips thinned, not have I had dermabrasion or a skin peel. All of these charges are ridiculous. If they were true, I would say so, but they aren’t. I have had my nose altered twice and I recently added a cleft to my chin, but that is it. Period. I don’t care what anyone else says it’s my face and I know.

I’m a vegetarian now and I’m so much thinner. I’ve been on a strict diet for years. I feel better than I ever have, healthier and more energetic. I don’t understand why the press is so interested in speculating about my appearance anyway. What does my face have to do with my music or my dancing?

NatureCriminal7896;4272296 said:
From My Family, The Jacksons by Katherine Jackson:

On pg. 145, Katherine speaks about Michael weight, even though hesaid that food was the only thing in his whole life that he had control over, everything else was controlled:

The other key to his good health, I believe, had been his diet. Before Michael had left on tour, his doctor had insisted that he go on a high protein diet, including fish, so that he'd be able to keep his stamina up. Michael had reluctantly agreed. Even before Michael became a vegetarian in the late seventies, worried about his lack of interest in food. When the family would go out for hot-fudge sundaes, be the only one who wouldn't want one. I'm not hungry he'd say. Now what kid turns down a hot fudge sundae? I'm ashamed to admit that sometimes La Toya and I would eat two of them a day. After Michael took Jermaine's lead and decided to forgo meat, he became even less interested in eating then before. He employed a full time chef, but I dont know why he bothered. When she took him his food, he'd eat two tablespoons then leave the rest. If I didnt eat to live, I'd never eat em he told me. One day a week Michael fasted, I'm cleaning my body out, which is a healthy thing to do, he explained. But instead of laying low that day to conserve his energy, Micheal would dance non-stop for two hours on his portable dance floor. Michael enjoyed having the last word in our arguments about his diet. You're always worrying about me being too skinny he'd say, but you know what? My doctor told me I was in number one shape. So stop worrying about me. I should be worried about you. You're the one who keeps putting all the bad stuff into your body. But the Victory tour had gotten the better of Michael physically. He suffered from exhaustion and dehydration. The memory of his illness was still fresh in his mind when his doctor laid down the law about his diet for his solo tour. I of course, hoped that after a year of eating three square meals a day, Michael had developed a permanent interest in food. But my hope was dashed the first time we talked after I joined him overseas. Happy as he was with the way the tour had gone to that point, he told me, I'll be glad when it's all over, so I can start eating the way I want to again. I'm tired of forcing myself to eat.

From Moonwalk page 227-230

I first became well known, I had a lot of baby fat and a very round, chubby face. That roundness stayed with me until several years ago when I changed my diet and stopped eating beef, chicken, pork and fish, as well as certain fattening foods. I just wanted to look better, live better, and be healthier. Gradually, as I lost weight, my face took on its present shape and the press started accusing me of surgically altering my appearance, beyond the nose job I freely admitted I had, like many performers and film stars.

. . .

I’d like to set the record straight right now. I have never had my cheeks altered or my eyes altered. I have not had my lips thinned, not have I had dermabrasion or a skin peel. All of these charges are ridiculous. If they were true, I would say so, but they aren’t. I have had my nose altered twice and I recently added a cleft to my chin, but that is it. Period. I don’t care what anyone else says it’s my face and I know.

I’m a vegetarian now and I’m so much thinner. I’ve been on a strict diet for years. I feel better than I ever have, healthier and more energetic. I don’t understand why the press is so interested in speculating about my appearance anyway. What does my face have to do with my music or my dancing?

boy Michael was stubborn and sassy dude. i hate he had to go threw that though. after all he was an dancing machine and he was an human being that needed food,water, and sleep just like the rest of us.

as someone who has depression i understand days without eating or eating very little while sleeping and sleeping very little.

bless him. :heart:

I don't know what the hell this is supposed to mean, and more importantly, have we got verifible evidence the MJ actually said this?

If we look at the majority of the professsional dancers of the 20th century (including the the ones cited as his influences i.e. Astaire, Kelly, Brown, Wilson, Fosse etc) almost none of them were as gaunt as MJ was in his prime.

I know exactly what he meant by "a dancer's body". It's something one can't see externally and comes wrapped in a variety of different packages - it isn't necessarily about body mass, or size.

A dancer's body must have long, lean muscles, that are extremely strong within the fibres; conditioned for flexibility and endurance. It means the body must have exceptional lung capacity and controlled breathing; it must have agility, balance, lightness and grace. A dancer's body means one that is capable of speed of movement and fluidity.

Michael achieved a very fine dancer's body, no matter what his actual weight was, at any given point in time......a body just as good, if not better than classically trained dancers, even though he was self-taught.

Back