Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: MJ Book Club - Michael Jackson Book Discussion (Old Books and New)

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: MJ Book Club - Michael Jackson Book Discussion (Old Books and New)

I remember him talking about the book to Glenda Stein on the phone. Whether or not you believe the tapes are real is one thing, but going on what was heard I remember him saying something about initially not wanting her to read his book in case it changed her feelings for him. He truly wanted no pity, just some empathy.

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Level
    Thanks

Michael Jackson: The Real Story: An Intimate Look Into Michael Jackson's Visionary Business and Human Side By Dieter Wiesner & Yusuf Jah

Michael's former manager, Dieter Wiesner, has written his account about his time spent with The King of Pop. It isn't a bad read and Mr. Wiesner shows nothing but love for Michael and his memories.

I just finished this book and was rather pleased. At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to get this book or not, but now I'm happy that I did. A quick read, 290 pages. It reads at a fast pace, it bounces from Mr. Wiesner trying to sell the "Mrystery" drink on the HIStory tour to him being Michael's manager just like that. Mr. Wiesner also included many personal photographs from his time with Michael that are sure to please many fans!

Anyone else read this book? Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,722 Times in 768 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikky Dee View Post
    A NEW MJ BOOK written by a loving fan is being released as we speak:

“You're my fairy tale, Michael.” “Oooh,” said Michael, and he brushed my cheek with his hand, making me flutter. This was the moment, under a starry sky in Las Vegas, when Talitha Linehan told Michael Jackson how she’d viewed him since childhood, not just as a man but as a magical being. It was a perception that never wavered, throughout hundreds of encounters she had with him over more than a decade, in public and in private, at venues and hotels across the world, inside his most famous home, Neverland Valley, and inside his final home, in Los Angeles. In this deeply personal memoir, Talitha recalls a journey that began when she discovered Michael, while growing up in the Irish countryside, and that ended when she last spoke to him, at a rehearsal studio in LA, on the last night of his life. By drawing on diary entries, she reveals the joy and heartache of loving and losing the most famous star on the planet, and a man she simply loves with all her heart.

Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/Michael-Jac...00532455314968
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/mjandmememoir

Marketing: Darina Ahern, michaeljacksonandtalitha@gmail.com

January 2021 – The release of the memoir A real-life fairy tale: Michael Jackson and me by Talitha Linehan Pages: 285; includes never-before-published photographs of Michael Jackson

Price on Amazon USA - Paperback: $19.99; eBook: $9.99 ISBN - Paperback: 978-1-7360246-0-7; eBook: 978-1-7360246-8-3

The book is available to purchase on Amazon, as a paperback and an eBook, and will become available on other platforms over the coming weeks. Please visit https://www.michaeljacksonandme.com

For more information and to request a copy for review. ###

https://www.facebook.com/10053245531...4238453944368/

Interview with talitha on Irish radio this morning

4. The Following User Says Thank You to elusive moonwalker For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,261 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MozisOfOzz View Post
    Michael Jackson: The Real Story: An Intimate Look Into Michael Jackson's Visionary Business and Human Side By Dieter Wiesner & Yusuf Jah

Michael's former manager, Dieter Wiesner, has written his account about his time spent with The King of Pop. It isn't a bad read and Mr. Wiesner shows nothing but love for Michael and his memories.

I just finished this book and was rather pleased. At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to get this book or not, but now I'm happy that I did. A quick read, 290 pages. It reads at a fast pace, it bounces from Mr. Wiesner trying to sell the "Mrystery" drink on the HIStory tour to him being Michael's manager just like that. Mr. Wiesner also included many personal photographs from his time with Michael that are sure to please many fans!

Anyone else read this book? Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It looks interesting. I'm especially pleased that Michael's "visionary business and human side" is mentioned on the front cover.

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I seen this book at Barnes and Noble and just want everyone's honest opinion on this book.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,238 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikky Dee View Post
    A NEW MJ BOOK written by a loving fan is being released as we speak:

“You're my fairy tale, Michael.” “Oooh,” said Michael, and he brushed my cheek with his hand, making me flutter. This was the moment, under a starry sky in Las Vegas, when Talitha Linehan told Michael Jackson how she’d viewed him since childhood, not just as a man but as a magical being. It was a perception that never wavered, throughout hundreds of encounters she had with him over more than a decade, in public and in private, at venues and hotels across the world, inside his most famous home, Neverland Valley, and inside his final home, in Los Angeles. In this deeply personal memoir, Talitha recalls a journey that began when she discovered Michael, while growing up in the Irish countryside, and that ended when she last spoke to him, at a rehearsal studio in LA, on the last night of his life. By drawing on diary entries, she reveals the joy and heartache of loving and losing the most famous star on the planet, and a man she simply loves with all her heart.

Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/Michael-Jac...00532455314968
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/mjandmememoir

Marketing: Darina Ahern, michaeljacksonandtalitha@gmail.com

January 2021 – The release of the memoir A real-life fairy tale: Michael Jackson and me by Talitha Linehan Pages: 285; includes never-before-published photographs of Michael Jackson

Price on Amazon USA - Paperback: $19.99; eBook: $9.99 ISBN - Paperback: 978-1-7360246-0-7; eBook: 978-1-7360246-8-3

The book is available to purchase on Amazon, as a paperback and an eBook, and will become available on other platforms over the coming weeks. Please visit https://www.michaeljacksonandme.com

For more information and to request a copy for review. ###

This book now has it own website.

https://www.michaeljacksonandme.com/

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,950 Times in 4,537 Posts

Default Re: The King of Pop and I: A Filipino Teacher's Travel Memoir with Michael Jackson and His Children

Quote Originally Posted by NatureCriminal7896 View Post
    Aileen Medalla is a young and strong-willed woman living and trying to find a job as a foreigner in the Kingdom of Bahrain. But after several months of job hunting and zero calls, she was ready to give up, call it quits, and return to the Philippines… until she received a mysterious call for a job interview.Aileen invites you to join her as she provides a glimpse of the private world of the one and only King of Pop, Mr. Michael Jackson. Being one of the few who had unrestricted access to his undisclosed circle, she chronicles how he was as a father, boss, and a regular person. This book aims to open hearts and eyes about the true Michael Jackson. What you read and hear about Michael Jackson may not always be true. His persona looms larger than the controversies and accusations. A living witness to the inherent kindness of the King, Aileen Medalla wistfully shares her personal story with Michael and his children, of ordinary moments which unveiled the real persona of her famous boss, having known and been with the Jacksons for three good years. A story of HOPE, FAITH, and GRATITUDE, this is the story of Aileen Medalla and her journey around the world with the King of Pop Mr. Michael Jackson across continents in Europe, US, and Asia.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08RH7WNRC

https://www.facebook.com/authoraileenmedalla

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paris78 For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,950 Times in 4,537 Posts

The King of Pop and I: An experience of a lifetime!
    Rating: 5/5

Ms. Aileen Medalla, a Filipino teacher, shares her experiences as an Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW), most especially about an experience so unique—the life-changing opportunity to work for Michael Jackson.

Little was known about Ms. Aileen in the MJ fan community, mainly because she chose to stay away from the public eye. So, when she announced that she has written a book about her time with the Jackson family, she was met with some skepticism.

Let me reiterate that this book DOES NOT, in any way, violate the privacy of Michael Jackson and his children. It was written with the utmost respect for the family. I also appreciate the fact that Ms. Aileen had no intentions of sharing her story had it not been for salacious fake documentaries and tabloid narratives made against Michael Jackson.

There are no controversies, no tabloid rumors, no innuendos, and no embellishments in this book. It mainly focuses on Ms. Aileen’s journey as an OFW and her first-hand experiences with the Jackson family. This is a book about immense gratitude.

As the homeschool teacher of the Jackson kids, Ms. Aileen offers a unique and fresh perspective into MJ’s life. Away from the spotlight, Michael was shy and quiet, humble, giving, and thoughtful. A man who enjoyed the simple things in life like popcorn with Tabasco, a doting father who valued his children’s education and manners, and a very appreciative boss who would sometimes cook for his staff.

This was such a joy to read! It was lighthearted, touching, and full of endearing memories about MJ and his children. The book concept is just like a travel journal, peppered with wonderful illustrations and souvenirs like notes and gifts from Michael and the kids, travel photos, tickets, and even airplane boarding passes that Ms. Aileen kept—it made me feel as if I was right there with her, experiencing the world along with the Jackson family. One of my favorites was a note from MJ, apologizing about his kids not having showered before classes started one particular day. I love it! It’s really the little things that reveal a person’s true nature.

Throughout their travels, Michael made sure that Ms. Aileen was able to enrich her experience too and would encourage her to explore the place. From her account of how MJ treated her, I got the sense that MJ kind of took her under his wing. Ms. Aileen talks of how she stayed where the family stayed, and how she ate the same food they ate. She was treated like family. While reading the book, I can definitely feel the mutual love and appreciation that Ms. Aileen and the Jackson family have for each other.

As Ms. Aileen mentioned, OFWs face many challenges and many sacrifices in search for better opportunities abroad—a gamble they willingly take for their families. As a fellow Filipina, I am very proud of Ms. Aileen’s accomplishments. And as an MJ fan, I am very thankful to her for her loyalty and for speaking up for Michael.

Ms. Aileen met her boss at a time in his life when he was recovering from the trauma of enduring a farcical trial. MJ did not let that experience change the way he treated people. He always chose kindness which definitely speaks to the kind of person that he truly was. Without a doubt, this book made me love Michael even more.

My takeaway: Sometimes, all we need in life is to be given a chance. And when you are given this chance and you are showered with kindness, encouragement, and appreciation, it inspires you to be a better person. There really is no better way to repay the kindness but to pay it forward.

I highly recommend this book! You will smile, you will laugh, you will cry a bit, but most of all, you will love Michael 3000!

Reviewed by Melissa Peralta
    Michael Jackson Book Club Member

https://thekingofpopandi.com/

Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

A Real-Life Fairy Tale: Michael Jackson and Me

Rating: 4/5

A Real-Life Fairy Tale: Michael Jackson and Me. By Talitha Linehan

A Real-Life Fairy Tale: Michael Jackson and Me (hereafter called just Michael Jackson and Me and with page numbers in brackets) is a delightful first-person account of the ultimate Michael Jackson fan experience. Written by Talitha Linehan, it provides a much-needed antidote to the depressing drama of HBO and Channel 4’s Leaving Neverland, which is very much still in the public consciousness. Linehan covers the book with a photograph of her and Jackson (circa. 2009) and embosses the cover so that it reads like a book of Grimm fairy tales.

Linehan’s book spans a period of time where Jackson was arguably more known for his notoriety than his music and she does not shy away from this. In addition to many other sources of contention, she covers 2003’s Living with Michael Jackson, ‘Bashir’s sinister overtone’ (43)the baby-dangling incident (59); and the 2005 trial (62). None of the bad press seems to phase Linehan, who starts by establishing a ‘game of cat and mouse’ (38) which resulted in Jackson ‘egging us on and rewarding us whenever we navigated around all the obstacles to place ourselves within his reach’ (38).

Linehan’s detailed accounts include waking up after the Madison Square Garden’s performances on the 7th and 10th of September 2001, and the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks. It is strangely refreshing to read something as effusively saccharine as Linehan’s account. She writes in ‘Chapter Four: Inside Neverland’: ‘Neverland was at the heart of Michael’s world, but Michael was the heart of the heart, and not even an invitation to his kingdom could draw us away from him’ (42).

Linehan’s story has its irresponsible elements, which she acknowledges and discusses clearly, for example taking a lift by a guy named Mick for most of the HIStory tour dates and ignoring a flight home to Germany because Jackson had invited her to Neverland. ‘My mind reeled as I tried to reconcile the dualities, both in him and in me’ (57). Numerous times during the book Linehan debates upon the existential, in that which connects her existence to Jackson’s: ‘if you happened to be at the gates of Neverland on the afternoon of 6 September 2003, then you got to spend a day with Michael Jackson’ (61).

Michael Jackson and Me offers a very solid account of the years 1997 to 2009. Notable is Linehan’s account of the Arvizo clan, ‘we could all attest that Gavin and his siblings had clearly had the run of the place [Neverland]’ (63). There are also little-known facts in the book, like Jackson’s receptance of the Humanitarian Award by the African Ambassadors’ Spouses Association in 2004 (66).

Although Linehan attended the courthouse in Santa Maria during Jackson’s trial there is no inherited cynicism in her book; I felt myself pulled into her world, one where Michael Jackson was the sun she orbited. One question that bodes itself is how Linehan afforded her very literal following of Jackson. The reader is encouraged to live vicariously through Linehan’s experiences, any momentary doubts or disbelief relieved by a well-placed and emotive photograph.

Linehan discusses the fan politics that fill the community. As a fan myself, I must admit that Linehan’s frank, heartfelt and open tone throughout the book was a joy for me to read. After all that bad press it was refreshing to read something that is filled with adoration.

Reviewed by Elizabeth Amisu, MA, PGCE, editor of The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies and author of The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson: His Music, His Persona, and His Artistic Afterlife

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Book Review: Michael Jackson In Comics

Release Date: February 12th, 2020

Nearly 12 years after his death, the success and troubled life of Michael Jackson continues to fascinate us. From documentaries to new books, we can’t stop talking about the late King of Pop. Can you blame us? He was the biggest and most eccentric pop star whose many controversies overshadowed his career. Even with everything we know about Jackson, he remains mysterious with his untimely death adding to his mythological status. NBM’s latest comic anthology, Michael Jackson in Comics, attempts to show us who Jackson really was. Unfortunately, it fails.

Featuring comics by various writers and artists, the collection presents itself as a visual biography of Jackson. Rather, it’s a hodgepodge of poorly written stories with lackluster art. The biggest issue is the book’s overall lack of direction. All the comics are somewhat related to Jackson, but what they about vary. Comics range from Jackson’s upbringing to his impact on fashion to his loyal fans and his relationship with Diana Ross. There’s no chronological structure to the book making it a frustrating read. Adding to the confusion are the constantly shifting perspectives. Some are written from Jackson’s perspective, others are from the writer’s perspective, and one of them is narrated by Bubbles the Chimp.

The stories themselves are poorly written and dull. Many of them don’t even have a conclusion. Rather, they’re incomplete anecdotes that add nothing to Jackson’s narrative. His success and troubled personal life give us a lot to talk about. Instead, we get mundane comics about Jackson not showing up at the 2008 Grammy awards. Other times, the book is repetitive. Each chapter begins with summaries related to the singer’s life – his trial, his relationship with his father, his various accolades, etc. But this same information is found in the comics that follow, sometimes verbatim. These summaries spoil the comics, which is the crux of the book. They’re meant to add context but make the comics less exciting in the process.

Michael Jackson In Comics is a great concept, but it’s poorly executed. Jackson’s story is well known, but the book could’ve retold it in a unique and stylish way. Instead, it’s a poorly written, ugly mess. It’s such an unsatisfying read. At least Rock N Roll Comics’ Jackson issue talks about him in a way that’s fun and engaging. This collection is sadly a bore. There are countless books that are better at telling Jackson’s story, such as Making Michael by Mike Smallcombe and The Genius of Michael Jackson by Steve Knopper. This one should be avoided at all costs.

Michael Jackson in Comics is out now.

https://genreisdead.com/michael-jackson-in-comics/

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Anyone read this one and want to share interesting things from it? Referring to Michael JAckson and me - Talitha's book

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,261 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mjfan05 View Post
    Anyone read this one and want to share interesting things from it? Referring to Michael JAckson and me - Talitha's book
    I haven't read it myself, yet, but I intend to. I am hearing nothing but good, positive reports about the book - apparently, it holds many interesting and insightful anecdotes that fans have not heard before and there are a lot of new, previously unreleased images in the book which are from Talitha's private collection.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Michael Jackson Book Club Review: “Humanitarian, the real Michael Jackson”

Humanitarian, The Real Michael Jackson

Rating: 4.5/5

The title Humanitarian is short, sweet and gets right to the point because it’s the core of who Michael Jackson really was. The cover is a nice picture of Michael with the background being of the magical place he called home, taken at night, and lit up beautifully. But for me, as majestic as Michael looks, as well as the picture of his home, it wouldn’t have been my first choice for the actual cover. The text inside the book is somewhat small which can make it hard to read but was necessary to make room for the pictures that also tell the story on their own.

One thing I have found that most Michael Jackson fans have in common, is that we all were fans of the magic of his music. But it wasn’t until we dug into the person, that we fell in love and realized that we weren’t just fans of his music but were intrigued by an extraordinary man that had to have been in flesh, a human, but in spirit something of a higher being. Even as a fan who already knows a lot of Michael’s humanitarian work, I learned so much more from reading this book. If you are not a fan and don’t know what Michael has accomplished around the world, this book will be all the education you need and could surprise a lot of people who may not see all the positive things about him that his fans already know.

Humanitarian contains countless stories, 154 pages of Michael’s work, and we still do not know all that he has done because as we learned on the very last page, much of Michael’s charity involvement was a private and unpublicized matter. The personal commentary stories stood out most to me because from them I learned he literally saved lives! And if one pays very close attention to the dates of Michael’s humanitarian acts, it’s astonishing as well as heartbreaking. When the world was turning their back on Michael, he was far from turning his back on the world. While the world was accusing this man of wounding its most precious treasures, Michael was putting his money where his mouth was and literally practicing what he preached, which was to heal the world. He set out to accomplish something and never lost sight of his real work, His godly work. Michael started with the little man in the mirror. He was just a little boy earning money from performing as a child to hand out sweets to local neighboring children in the early 1970s (p.6) and he is still changing lives for the better to this day, as declared by Michael in his will, to devote 20% of his future earnings to several undisclosed charities (p.138).

Michael Jackson was our Earth Angel, and this book is proof of that.

Thank you so much to Paul Dwyer for taking the time out of his life to put this treasure out into the world! It is a very special book for me not just because of its contents, but how I was given the opportunity to have this book in my possession, was pure Michael magic. Since the day I received this book at my doorstep, I have carried it around with me in my Michael bookbag. It’s a reminder of what one human being can accomplish in this world, so I have no excuse not to be a better me every single day!

I rate this book 4 ½ stars and that’s only because in my opinion there are so many other pictures that would’ve matched the title and grabbed lots of attention if on the cover. Other than that, it is perfect to me.

Danielle Thomas

Michael Jackson Book Club Member