Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MJ Book Club - Michael Jackson Book Discussion (Old Books and New)

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,649 Times in 796 Posts

Default Re: MJ Book Club - Michael Jackson Book Discussion (Old Books and New)

Another book that is worth buying is "The Michael Jackson Visual Documentary", by Adrian Grant. I have this one (the updated tribute edition) and I have found myself referring to it, often, whenever I have wanted to clarify something about Michael's professional movements, achievements and philanthropic endeavours.

This book basically lays out for the reader, Michael's professional life, as an artist, in terms of the FACTS and is a meticulous account of his records, concerts, videos and awards, his public appearances and performances and his humanitarian efforts, recorded day by day, week by week, month by month, year by year. It's like a Michael Jackson Bible of events. It's illustrated with hundreds of beautiful photographs and is a wonderful resource for fans who like to "fact check" Michael's movements and/or what was going on in his life at any particular point in time (right down to the day, month and year, sometimes). It was originally published in 1994, however it was updated as an official tribute edition in 2009, which includes the details of Michael's life in the latter period (1995 - 2009). It has a few testimonials and a very touching afterword, written by the author.

Here's a professional review written about the book, by reviewer David Gibson, who gave it a five-star rating. I especially agree with his final sentence:

"While much of what’s been published in the wake of Michael Jackson’s untimely death has been in the spirit of exploitation rather than earnest assessment, a reissued work by Adrian Grant once again serves as the benchmark resource on the King of Pop to date.

Originally published in 1994, Michael Jackson: A Visual Documentary – 1958-2009 – The Official Tribute Edition includes supplementary material covering the intervening years, culminating with coverage of Jackson’s public memorial at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

The book’s first forty or so pages skim through his childhood and formative years in the Jackson 5, marking pertinent milestones and professional achievements. The bulk of the book, though, concentrates on Jackson's solo career (post-Off The Wall) and the realities of his life within that time.

A feast for fans, the book is loaded with photos and information depicted in meticulous (sometimes day-to-day) detail. While authorized by Jackson in its prior publication, the accounts offered here aren’t of a typical, hero-worship sort. In fact, much care has been taken by the author to render a straightforward and evenhanded treatment, including accounts of Jackson’s various tribulations and controversies.

Barring the eventual publication of an authoritative biography in more narrative form, Michael Jackson: A Visual Documentary is at this point the most definitive chronicle of the late superstar’s life and career published anywhere."

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ichael_Jackson

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mikky Dee For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikky Dee View Post
    I love "Man in the Music"! It's not an especially easy book to read....it takes time; but I revel in the way it delves so deeply into each album, song by song, including the out-takes. It definitely makes one want to go back and listen to a song or an album again, with fresh ears!!
    Absolutely. I found some multitrack recordings in the 2000 Watts subforum, and it’s fun going back to individual songs and explore them in a new way. I also bought a ticket for Brad Sundberg’s seminar, and I’m really looking forward to that as well.
    Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Michael Jackson: A Visual Documentary is at this point the most definitive chronicle of the late superstar’s life and career published anywhere."
    Added to wish list, thank you.

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered
    Level
    Thanks

I´m currently starting to read one book that I found on Jetzi and it´s called "Michael Jackson - The story the media doesn´t want you to know" something like that. Anyone knows if this book is good? Because it was written by a fan...

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered
    Level
    Thanks

Another book that is worth buying is "The Michael Jackson Visual Documentary", by Adrian Grant. I have this one (the updated tribute edition) and I have found myself referring to it, often, whenever I have wanted to clarify something about Michael's professional movements, achievements and philanthropic endeavours.

This book basically lays out for the reader, Michael's professional life, as an artist, in terms of the FACTS and is a meticulous account of his records, concerts, videos and awards, his public appearances and performances and his humanitarian efforts, recorded day by day, week by week, month by month, year by year. It's like a Michael Jackson Bible of events. It's illustrated with hundreds of beautiful photographs and is a wonderful resource for fans who like to "fact check" Michael's movements and/or what was going on in his life at any particular point in time (right down to the day, month and year, sometimes). It was originally published in 1994, however it was updated as an official tribute edition in 2009, which includes the details of Michael's life in the latter period (1995 - 2009). It has a few testimonials and a very touching afterword, written by the author.

Here's a professional review written about the book, by reviewer David Gibson, who gave it a five-star rating. I especially agree with his final sentence:

"While much of what’s been published in the wake of Michael Jackson’s untimely death has been in the spirit of exploitation rather than earnest assessment, a reissued work by Adrian Grant once again serves as the benchmark resource on the King of Pop to date.

Originally published in 1994, Michael Jackson: A Visual Documentary – 1958-2009 – The Official Tribute Edition includes supplementary material covering the intervening years, culminating with coverage of Jackson’s public memorial at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

The book’s first forty or so pages skim through his childhood and formative years in the Jackson 5, marking pertinent milestones and professional achievements. The bulk of the book, though, concentrates on Jackson's solo career (post-Off The Wall) and the realities of his life within that time.

A feast for fans, the book is loaded with photos and information depicted in meticulous (sometimes day-to-day) detail. While authorized by Jackson in its prior publication, the accounts offered here aren’t of a typical, hero-worship sort. In fact, much care has been taken by the author to render a straightforward and evenhanded treatment, including accounts of Jackson’s various tribulations and controversies.

Barring the eventual publication of an authoritative biography in more narrative form, Michael Jackson: A Visual Documentary is at this point the most definitive chronicle of the late superstar’s life and career published anywhere."

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ichael_Jackson
    That one must be very interesting! Too bad I have to save money

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I just discovered this free e-book on Twitter. It looks wonderful!

There’s a whole series: http://www.mj101series.com/

No need to sign up or give your e-mail address or anything.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenOrigami View Post
    I also bought a ticket for Brad Sundberg’s seminar, and I’m really looking forward to that as well.
    OMG....that is seriously one of the best things an MJ fan can do!! Brad Sundberg is a treasure trove of information.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikky Dee For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenOrigami View Post
    I just discovered this free e-book on Twitter. It looks wonderful!

There’s a whole series: http://www.mj101series.com/

No need to sign up or give your e-mail address or anything.
    I have this collection on my computer, but I haven't read it yet. I've read very positive comments about it.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

OMG....that is seriously one of the best things an MJ fan can do!! Brad Sundberg is a treasure trove of information.
    Only two weeks to go now, and I can’t remember the last time I was so excited about something. I’m planning to completely empty my brain the night before and then just sponge everything up that he says.