Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MJ Book Club - Michael Jackson Book Discussion (Old Books and New)

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,589 Times in 765 Posts

Default MJ Book Club - Michael Jackson Book Discussion (Old Books and New)

Please use this thread to post personal thoughts and reviews about good Michael Jackson books that you have read, or that have been recommended to you by other fans.

News articles about and reviews of NEW MJ books about to be released at particular points in time, may also be posted here.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikky Dee For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered500 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: MJ Book Club - Michael Jackson Book Discussion (Old Books and New)

I read many books about Michael but the one that changed my life was Moonwalk. When I read that book I feel like is Michael Who is talking to me, like he is telling me his own life.
    My life changed because I started to have confidence in myself and I started to look at life with a new perspective. I feel he is so kind while telling his story to his fans.
    I never read Dancing the Dream because I coudn't find the book but I would love to read. I heard its really good.
    I read the book J Randy Taraborreli wrote but I think some of the things he said are exagerated. I dont know what to think of that book.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DifferentKindOfLady For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryThree FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,423 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DifferentKindOfLady View Post
    I read many books about Michael but the one that changed my life was Moonwalk. When I read that book I feel like is Michael Who is talking to me, like he is telling me his own life.
    My life changed because I started to have confidence in myself and I started to look at life with a new perspective. I feel he is so kind while telling his story to his fans.
    I never read Dancing the Dream because I coudn't find the book but I would love to read. I heard its really good.
    I read the book J Randy Taraborreli wrote but I think some of the things he said are exagerated. I dont know what to think of that book.
    I agree with ya on J. Randy Taraborreli's book, I have both 1991, 2003 and 2009 editions, I admit they're good, but I don't trust what he wrote there, so yeah they are exaggerated.
    SUPPORTER/FAN of MICHAEL JACKSON & NARUHINA

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PoP For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PoP View Post
    I agree with ya on J. Randy Taraborreli's book, I have both 1991, 2003 and 2009 editions, I admit they're good, but I don't trust what he wrote there, so yeah they are exaggerated.
    I just don't know why he exaggerated. He said he knew Michael since he was a kid. So, why tell lies? I wonder what Michael thought about him...

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

DON'T believe a word Taraborreli says

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels Lover View Post
    DON'T believe a word Taraborreli says
    I don't. Do you know what Michael thought of him and if he said something about that book?

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I don't. Do you know what Michael thought of him and if he said something about that book?
    No, I don't

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Michaels Lover For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels Lover View Post
    No, I don't
    Okay thank you! My mother gave me that book in december 2009 and if I knew that was all lies I wouldn't ask her to buy it.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I recently read “Moonwalk” on four consecutive nights during a hiking vacation and enjoyed every minute of it.

It drew me right in, when Michael explained in the first paragraphs that he always wanted to tell stories by the fireplace, stories that would make people laugh and cry. And sitting down in a cozy sweater and warm socks, with a cup of tea, in my head I heard Michael’s voice read the whole book to me.

I didn’t really expect much from the content itself, as the timeline and the main events in his public life are well known and documented. But the book is full of little anecdotes that will warm your heart, like when little Randy tries to find Motown on a globe. It is sprinkled with a lot of those small stories, some funny, some sad, and always entertaining. I don’t want to give away too much, in case you haven’t read it yet.

Unlike many other autobiographies, there’s no trash talk about other people. Even about someone who ripped him off, Michael found something good to say, and he doesn’t even mention the name. So it’s an enjoyable read throughout, and every day on my hikes I was always looking forward to picking up the book again in the evening, wondering what would be next.

From the 2009 afterword by one of the editors, I learned that Michael didn’t actually sit down with ink and quill at an oaken desk in his study – as romantic as the idea would be – but basically talked to his editors about his life and recorded the conversations on tape. Then a professional writer formed it into a narrative, and then Michael had the book read to him on his days off on tour and made some edits.

The afterword sounds a bit apologetic, as if the editor thought it wasn’t the “right” way to make a book. But isn’t that just how Michael worked anyway? Put his thoughts and ideas into a tape recorder and then collaborate with other professionals to make it the best product possible?

In my opinion, the fact that the book consists mostly of taped and transcribed stories, is precisely what makes it sound so personal and authentic. I’m not sure he would have arrived at that level if he had actually written down everything following a linear outline.

So, both thumbs up from me for a book I’ll definitely read again when I’m in the mood for a good story by the fireplace, warm socks, and hot tea.
    Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 519 Posts

I'm sure I've read most of them, especially after he first died, I read anything and everything from Moonwalk to the pure garbage, stopping when I realized what pure garabage it actually was. In other words, I spent a lot of money on junk.

But the best one beyond Moonwalk for me was the two bodyguard's book Remember the TIme. I enjoyed that one a lot.
    "Of all the thousands of entertainers I have worked with, Michael was THE most outstanding. Many have tried and will try to copy him, but his talent will never be matched." Dick Clark

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gerryevans For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,589 Times in 765 Posts

You MUST try to get your hands on "Dancing the Dream"......it is such a beautiful and surprising book and it taps into the heart of who Michael truly was. So sensitive and soulful and CREATIVE. A true empath.

I have never read anything from Taraborreli - most fans speak against its validity, so I never really bothered. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by gerryevans View Post
    I'm sure I've read most of them, especially after he first died, I read anything and everything from Moonwalk to the pure garbage, stopping when I realized what pure garabage it actually was. In other words, I spent a lot of money on junk.

But the best one beyond Moonwalk for me was the two bodyguard's book Remember the TIme. I enjoyed that one a lot.
    I completely agree. This book by Michael's bodyguards, Bill Whitfield and Javon Beard, is so touching, loving and honest. I like it because it fills in a lot of gaps, with regard to the later years of Michael's life and shows us a glimpse of Michael the man. There aren't many books around that deal with the 2000s at all. This one helped me to understand why Michael made some of the decisions that he made and just what it was like for him, post-trial.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikky Dee For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikky Dee View Post
    You MUST try to get your hands on "Dancing the Dream"......it is such a beautiful and surprising book and it taps into the heart of who Michael truly was. So sensitive and soulful and CREATIVE. A true empath.

I have never read anything from Taraborreli - most fans speak against its validity, so I never really bothered. LOL

I completely agree. This book by Michael's bodyguards, Bill Whitfield and Javon Beard, is so touching, loving and honest. I like it because it fills in a lot of gaps, with regard to the later years of Michael's life and shows us a glimpse of Michael the man. There aren't many books around that deal with the 2000s at all. This one helped me to understand why Michael made some of the decisions that he made and just what it was like for him, post-trial.
    I never found the book wich made me feel really sad. But i've always heard about it and I want to read. Maybe one day I can find it!
    As for Taraborreli I thought what he wrote was true but then some people said he is a liar... I don't know.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I never found the book wich made me feel really sad. But i've always heard about it and I want to read. Maybe one day I can find it!
    I just recently bought it from Amazon Germany. You can even find used copies there, to make up for the extra postage to Portugal. If they ship to Portugal, of course, but I think they do.

https://smile.amazon.de/Dancing-Drea...dp/0385403682/

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenOrigami View Post
    I just recently bought it from Amazon Germany. You can even find used copies there, to make up for the extra postage to Portugal. If they ship to Portugal, of course, but I think they do.

https://smile.amazon.de/Dancing-Drea...dp/0385403682/
    Okay thank you very much!!

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Okay thank you very much!!
    You’re welcome. Let me know if you have any problems ordering the book, and I’ll try to help.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post: