Michael Jackson Solo Version of „Joy“ and „Why“

Harun

Proud Member
Hello,

is there any evidence of the existence of the Solo Versions of Joy and Why?
Or is this a Fan fiction like MJ had Unrealased Songs After 2004....

"Joy" exists. Both Teddy Riley and engineer Jean-Marie Horvat have confirmed it. A few years back Riley said he planned on handing the demo over to the Estate (assuming they didn't already have it), but there's been no news on that as of yet.

"Why" is a bit tricker to pin down. Two of the three members of 3T (I'm terrible at names) have given conflicting accounts: one said MJ only recorded the chorus, while another said he did the whole thing.

Regarding the ‘Why’ song, Michael Jackson recorded a solo version of it during the ‘HIStory’ album sessions, because that song was a very strong candidate for that album.

But when the track list of that album was being finalized, the ‘Why’ song did not thematically fit to it.

So, on one instance, when 3T visited him in the studio to see him, Michael Jackson played his solo version of it to them in order to get their opinion about it.

3T liked it a lot, and Michael Jackson decided to give the song for their ‘Brotherhood’ album, under one specific condition.

“…So we could have the song [‘Why’], but under one condition: we should keep his voice on it. So we kept the chorus as it was, sang by Michael, and we re-sang the verses… You should hear Michael's version of ‘Why’, that would be cool…” (Tito Joe ‘TJ’ Jackson)

There have been also some other reports that confirm that Michael Jackson recorded a solo version of the 'Why' song when he was working on his ‘HIStory’ album back then.

Also, if you listen to the top quality of Michael Jackson’s vocals on the chorus of the 'Why' song, you can easily deduce that the song was complete as a Michael Jackson’s solo version, right before having its solo verses cut.

I would love, and I mean absolutely love to hear Michael's original 'Why'. I love that song.

MJ obviously had many unreleased songs that he worked on after 2004.This can be confirmed by the notes left in his bedroom on which he listed about 30 tracks which he worked on at the time (or wanted to work on) and by collaborators like Michael Prince who has stated that he would work with Michael in Vegas in 2007/08 on new music.So saying that he 'didn't have unreleased music after 2004' is wrong.

Regarding 'Why', TJ Jackson has stated in an interview from September of this year that there is a full MJ version of it and that Michael presented both 'You Are Not Alone'*and 'Why' to 3T and made them choose.Apparently they were happy with 'Why' so they recorded it and put it on their
album 'Brotherhood'.

Here is a link of the interview(TJ speaks about 'Why' about 2 minutes in):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZXKCBN2dD4&t=707s

If a solo version of Why exists, I would love to hear it. I’m not really a big fan of Why, because of 3T’s nasally vocals. They ruin the song for me.

I love both of these songs so much. Hearing Michael's version of Joy has to be up at the top of my lists from things I would love from the vault. I mean Blackstreet nailed it to their credit and I would love to hear the same arrangement on Mike's version just with his vocals, because nobody comes close to Michael Jackson in peak, nobody

"Why" is a bit tricker to pin down. Two of the three members of 3T (I'm terrible at names) have given conflicting accounts: one said MJ only recorded the chorus, while another said he did the whole thing.

I heard few rumors bout there is none version of Michael singing the verses or something beside the chrous, but there is a Babyface demo with the MJ BGV chrous.

I always heard that MJ had done the song and then gave it to 3T because they liked it. That was from back in the day

Someone who works for Sony Europe. He told me what they proposed to the MJ Estate for Bad 25 and Xscape. The estate rejected some nice things.

*sigh*

Okay, I'm gonna be that person.

Can you share any other titles by chance? I know that "Throwin' Your Life Away," "Get Your Weight Off of Me," and "I Am a Loser" were all in line for Xscape at one point or another, and I know that they were gunning for "Chicago 1945," but I'd love to know of any other titles!

which song is ''joy''?[/QUOTE

It's a song recorded and released by Teddy Riley's group, Blackstreet. Michael worked on it with Teddy for the Dangerous album and it nearly made the album apparently but then Mike gave the song to Teddy to use with his group Blackstreet. You'd probably know them for No Diggity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07vnBwaQF-k here's a link to the song (because I still don't know how to get the videos onto the page haha) Beautifully done by Blackstreet

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought that no version of Why existed with Michael's vocals.

But oh boy if there was...I'd rather have that than an unreleased song quite frankly.

which song is ''joy''?[/QUOTE

It's a song recorded and released by Teddy Riley's group, Blackstreet. Michael worked on it with Teddy for the Dangerous album and it nearly made the album apparently but then Mike gave the song to Teddy to use with his group Blackstreet. You'd probably know them for No Diggity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07vnBwaQF-k here's a link to the song (because I still don't know how to get the videos onto the page haha) Beautifully done by Blackstreet

thank you

I always thought that no version of Why existed with Michael's vocals.

But oh boy if there was...I'd rather have that than an unreleased song quite frankly.

I imagine a solo version of Why>>>> You are not alone.

Why would have definitely been a highlight on HIStory.

Yeah I totally agree @Themidwestcowboy I do think Why would have fit on HIStory in YANA's spot, it probably would have eclipsed it for me to be honest. Although some of my most cherished vocals from Mike are those adlibs on the extended version of YANA (Gotta stop being alone, gotta stop living alone)

An interesting thing about the ‘You Are Not Alone’ song is that Michael Jackson actually did not want it at all on the ‘HIStory’ album.

Michael Jackson wanted desperately for the album the other song that R. Kelly wrote (‘Life’, by K-Ci & JoJo), instead of ‘You Are Not Alone’.

R. Kelly had a really difficult time trying to convince him that ‘Life’ was not a song suitable for him and for his ‘HIStory’ album.

R. Kelly had a strong feeling that ‘You Are Not Alone’ was a big song with big commercial/chart potential, and so it was the song that Michael Jackson should sing, record and include it on the ‘HIStory’ album.

In the end, Michael Jackson followed R. Kelly’s advice, and he decided (although reluctantly) to record it for his ‘HIStory’ album, in the place of the ‘Life’ song.

R. Kelly was proved right eventually, because ‘You Are Not Alone’ achieved a phenomenal success when it was released as a single from that album.

I don't like why at all. I'd probably listen to it if a version with mj exists but probably only once.

*sigh*

Okay, I'm gonna be that person.

Can you share any other titles by chance? I know that "Throwin' Your Life Away," "Get Your Weight Off of Me," and "I Am a Loser" were all in line for Xscape at one point or another, and I know that they were gunning for "Chicago 1945," but I'd love to know of any other titles!

I feel like people have been posting that they know song titles or have heard late era music and then ignoring everyone that asks them questions all the time here recently. Kinda irritating haha.

I feel like people have been posting that they know song titles or have heard late era music and then ignoring everyone that asks them questions all the time here recently. Kinda irritating haha.

I can understand it. I was lucky enough to actually hear unreleased songs on a few occasions (all of which have since leaked online), and I was told not to share titles or details about the songs publicly. I completely understand!

Yeah I totally agree @Themidwestcowboy I do think Why would have fit on HIStory in YANA's spot, it probably would have eclipsed it for me to be honest. Although some of my most cherished vocals from Mike are those adlibs on the extended version of YANA (Gotta stop being alone, gotta stop living alone)

Totally agree about You Are Not Alone. To me, it doesn't really become a Michael Jackson song until those closing moments. Which is why I was so delighted to find the longer version on the Ultimate Collection.

Back