Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How would new MJ music sound in 2019/ the 2020s?

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsYour first GroupThree FriendsCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Re: How would new MJ music sound in 2019/ the 2020s?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikky Dee View Post
    There are a lot of "IFS" in those musings!

I think he'd stick with the formula that worked for him and would follow his roots....POP, R & B, etc. Romantic ballads, similar to Beautiful Girl, One More Chance, Fall Again, Break of Dawn, Whatever Happens would be forthcoming and I think he would continue to collaborate with young, up and coming artists, writers and producers. He wanted to work with Lady Ga Ga, for example.

The classical album that he dreamed of doing might become a reality and I can also envisage him working on movie soundtracks, as a way of tapping into that genre, once and for all. I would hope that his age wouldn't mean the end of the edgy, angry rock songs, with some raspy vocals.....but perhaps it would. Maybe he'd start to do the unplugged, acoustic versions of his songs that some of us dream about.

Ultimately, though, I don't think we would have seen too many more albums from Michael, had he lived. Considering that he left years between albums during his life time as it was, I think maybe we would have one more....two at the most, before he moved onto something else. I think he would have concentrated on his children's lives and where they were headed, as time moved on.
    So true, Mikki.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to StageGlitter For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Michael Jackson made an enigmatic statement (during the early stages of the making of the ‘Invincible’ album) when he said that people will understand and appreciate that album after 10-15 years from its release.

But, by all accounts, ‘Invincible’ musically was not ahead of its time when it came out in 2001.

It was essentially a mixture of the then-current trends: the up-tempo tracks had a typical Rodney Jerkins’ sound, while the mid-tempo tracks and the ballads were heavily influenced by R&B and neo soul musical elements.

One has to wonder here if Michael Jackson (when he made that statement) had initially a completely different vision with that album, but he eventually decided for one more time to swim with the tide by releasing an album with familiar to the audience sounds/style in order for him to get easier chart and commercial success with it.

Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I was thinking about this last night.

Just another fun question which I'd love to have a discussion about. Ignoring the subject of MJ's age and the fact he wanted to pursue other ventures, what do you think he would sound like now? In terms of the kind of music he would be doing. I personally believe we'd be getting things similar to Invicible, BOTDF and HIStory, but massively 'evolved' with every new release. Imagine the vocal styles he'd go for, the beautiful instrumentals he would craft! The short films!

I think if he took breaks between new albums, as he did anyway, his music would sell very well- if Mike was given creative freedom, was able to work when he wanted, and his work was promoted properly.

Mike always adapted his style to 'invite' listeners of all ages, while also staying true to himself. This is the other reason I think he would sell, because adaptability= longevity.
    Michael would still be the real deal.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entryTagger Second ClassVeteranOverdrive

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,124 Times in 1,029 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddlicious View Post
    If he was alive today he would’ve made collabs with The Weeknd and Bruno Mars. I’m sure of it. He would’ve probably also followed the current trend of making trap songs. Imagine Michael on a sick trap beat. It would most definitely go number 1 on the charts.
    No. That is exactly missing the point here. I dunno who your michael jackson is but that person you just described there isn't M . He would have hated trap and you know it .You know it Eddlicious.

It's M & Sonny.

RIP Dearest M. Thank You For My Childhood Memories...& the Magic, my Darling.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wendijane For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: How would new MJ music sound in 2019/ the 2020s?

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post

It is a route that he had to take like many other very successful artists, and that way of promotion does not necessarily end the magic.

The main problem with the ‘Dangerous’ album is that the majority of its new jack swing songs have stayed rooted in that era.
    mj _ frenzy i appreciate you took the time to respond to me and although i agree with you wholeheartedly with Dangerous and other points you have made i cannot agree with " he would have had to the take the route like everyone else ." line.
    M didnt take routes dude lol he didn't follow anyone , anyone . that's the point . It did end the magic .I truly believe that .

The internet did end the magic because the magic was innocent and people were more patient. They didn't know any different.
    People nowadays would not wait for a 10 second appearance at a window , they wouldn't, they would want M live on Instagram on the toilet! Showing his surgery scars etc [Extreme example of a demand but you know what i mean here ] Mostly, they would want him to be assess able,

He was never assess able - Never ! so in hindsight the magic had gone for him. how could he promote his art? How could he be michael jackson the mystery man? it would make his whole back story, and what he was always saying to us - look like a lie .
    Sorry i just feel time & technology played a massive part to why michael is not with us now.

It's M & Sonny.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wendijane For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wendijane View Post
    No. That is exactly missing the point here. I dunno who your michael jackson is but that person you just described there isn't M . He would have hated trap and you know it .You know it Eddlicious.
    It's no secret that he liked rap. If he liked rap back then, who's to say he wouldn't enjoy rap today? The man was getting down to In Da Club by 50 Cent, you don't think he would enjoy songs like God's Plan?

Achievements:

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eddlicious View Post
    It's no secret that he liked rap. If he liked rap back then, who's to say he wouldn't enjoy rap today? The man was getting down to In Da Club by 50 Cent, you don't think he would enjoy songs like God's Plan?
    I can't see him favor Drake no.

It's M & Sonny.

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    Michael Jackson made an enigmatic statement (during the early stages of the making of the ‘Invincible’ album) when he said that people will understand and appreciate that album after 10-15 years from its release.

But, by all accounts, ‘Invincible’ musically was not ahead of its time when it came out in 2001.
    It was essentially a mixture of the then-current trends: the up-tempo tracks had a typical Rodney Jerkins’ sound, while the mid-tempo tracks and the ballads were heavily influenced by R&B and neo soul musical elements.

One has to wonder here if Michael Jackson (when he made that statement) had initially a completely different vision with that album, but he eventually decided for one more time to swim with the tide by releasing an album with familiar to the audience sounds/style in order for him to get easier chart and commercial success with it.

Interesting – I never heard that statement by Michael, but it makes a bit sense to me. When I hear tracks like Shout and 2000 Watts, they sound experimental to me. At least experimental for Michael Jackson tracks. I always wondered whether or not Michael considered a completely different direction with Invincible.

I wished Michael had released some EP's, every now and then. With experiments, or collaborations... by sticking to albums only, he limited himself. An EP with Shout and 2000 Watts would have been lovely inbetween albums.

Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,465 Times in 945 Posts

Default The Fireman

Quote Originally Posted by Piek View Post
    I wished Michael had released some EP's, every now and then. With experiments, or collaborations... by sticking to albums only, he limited himself.
    You mean like those electronic music albums Paul McCartney released under the name "The Fireman"? If a listener didn't know it was Paul and heard The Fireman's stuff, they'd never guess it was him. Most of it is instrumental. Mike is too commercial minded and concerned about selling the most records and getting hit singles to do that. It's not like Mike is an avant-garde or free jazz artist.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DuranDuran For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,465 Times in 945 Posts

Default Janet Jackson trap

He would have hated trap and you know it
    How do you know that? Are you a mind reader or something? Janet has played Cardi B at one of her concerts a little while back.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DuranDuran For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

mj _ frenzy i appreciate you took the time to respond to me and although i agree with you wholeheartedly with Dangerous and other points you have made i cannot agree with " he would have had to the take the route like everyone else ." line.
    M didnt take routes dude lol he didn't follow anyone , anyone . that's the point . It did end the magic .I truly believe that .

The internet did end the magic because the magic was innocent and people were more patient. They didn't know any different.
    People nowadays would not wait for a 10 second appearance at a window , they wouldn't, they would want M live on Instagram on the toilet! Showing his surgery scars etc [Extreme example of a demand but you know what i mean here ] Mostly, they would want him to be assess able,

He was never assess able - Never ! so in hindsight the magic had gone for him. how could he promote his art? How could he be michael jackson the mystery man? it would make his whole back story, and what he was always saying to us - look like a lie .
    Sorry i just feel time & technology played a massive part to why michael is not with us now.
    Keeping your mystery and using at the same time the social media for promoting your art are two things that are not mutually exclusive.

Michael Jackson would have kept his mystery even in the present social media era by, for example, creating and posting mysterious, interesting posts about him and his music on his social media accounts.

Michael Jackson liked a lot to tease his fans, and social media would have offered him an excellent opportunity for that purpose.

He would have used his social media accounts also for more serious things, like for the announcement of specific upcoming, very important projects or deals (with the aid of his management team).

And we have to keep in mind also here that Michael Jackson was a fan of that direct, on line interaction between an artist and the fans, even before the advent of social media.

Remember, for instance, his Simulchat interview on August 17th 1995 (during the promotion of his ‘HIStory’ album), when he actually sat in front of a computer with an Internet connection and he quite happily was answering many questions that his fans were sending to him in real time.

That Simulchat interview (when he became very accessible and casual to his fans) did not end the magic, and also Michael Jackson continued to be a mystery man even after that particular interview.

Also, as far as I know, Michael Jackson was actually planning to introduce a web chat feature on his MJJSource.com personal website in mid-2000s, and this showed also his desire for direct, on line communication with his fans from all over the world.

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First Class3 months registered5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

I think his music would of sound a lot like today music with his own thing with a mix of old school. of course it would of stand out like always because that was Michael.

Michael kind of did went with trends but did his own thing too. for example the 70's early 80's was the disco years. then the mid 80's was the hiphop. follow the early 90's new jack swing then rap and r&b.

I think Michael music would of had some trap in it. like it or not. Michael always follow the sound that was it was during the decade. yes he did own thing but also went with the sound.

so yes his music probably have alittle trap in it. Michael always want it to try new genres. and he always did. but i'm pretty sure his music would been on top as it is when he was still here.

look at Xscape. a lot people don't like the update version of those songs on that album but a lot people tend to forget that probably what his music would have sound like today probably even earlier then that because Michael was always ahead everybody.

Michael was such musician genius he could of do any genre he want it. bless him. i don't think we will never see any like that again.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd and mild retardation. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First Class3 months registered5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DifferentKindOfLady View Post
    I really hope his music wouldn´t become the music we hear today. Actually I don´t listen too much music that´s made today, because in my opinion most of that music is horrible.
    I agree. i don't like today music either. i'm all old school. your not only one i hear a lot people say it too. i think Michael music would be like today music but 10 times better with his REAL voice.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd and mild retardation. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 8701girl View Post
    I agree
    Me too.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheThrillerGuy View Post
    I mean, Love Never Felt So Good was written in '83 but people gravitated towards it in 2014. So imagine if he created something new today, it would stand out in the best way possible.
    Agreed.