My strange ability!

Xeones

Proud Member
Hey guys! So, yesterday I was in the gym. And this song was playing. It had a really "obvious" bassline, quite loud. I had never heard the song before in my life. I turned to my personal trainer and said, "you hear that bass?" and I mimicked it. I said, "when it changes, it'll do this..." and I mouthed out this 'next part' I had been hearing in my head. Sure enough, the bassline did change... And it did pretty much exactly what I thought it would! I've actually suddenly started doing this kind of thing recently. I was eating dinner, and I got this lovely chord section in my head. It was soft, and it kind of... Lingered Then I started hearing a drum beat and something that seemed like violins. Similar things have been happening all week, and I've been having things like this, albeit infrequently until now, for years. I don't know where this is coming from, and I'm not trying to show off, because I don't do that.

And I know Michael had a similar ability, much greater than mine though. I'm not trying to replicate him or whatever... I mean what I say. I keep hearing these things. Does anyone know why this is happening? Does anyone else have this? Is it bad?

It's just what the creative mind does sometimes.

One thing I know is... the hardest part about composing music this way is to exactly replicate that great stuff you hear in your mind in the real word, and still having it sound as great. That's often a big disappointment. :D

It's just what the creative mind does sometimes.

One thing I know is... the hardest part about composing music this way is to exactly replicate that great stuff you hear in your mind in the real word, and still having it sound as great. That's often a big disappointment. :D

I use Michael's method of always making sure I can get to a recording device ASAP. I vocalise what I'm hearing and work on it using instruments. It's fun.

I don´t know if this is an ability or not but since I was a child whanever I hear songs (any song) I associate them with a color. I don´t know why but it happens.

DifferentKindOfLady;4274583 said:
I don´t know if this is an ability or not but since I was a child whanever I hear songs (any song) I associate them with a color. I don´t know why but it happens.

Chromesthesia? That’s truly a super power, and you’re in good company (Franz Liszt, Leonard Bernstein …). :)

I didn't even know it has a name! I really am. This happens with literally every song, so Michael's songs are a rainbow of colors :D

ScreenOrigami;4274587 said:
Chromesthesia? That’s truly a super power, and you’re in good company (Franz Liszt, Leonard Bernstein …). :)
I didn't even know it has a name! I really am. This happens with literally every song, so Michael's songs are a rainbow of colors :D

ScreenOrigami;4274611 said:
Want to tell us more? That’s super interesting. :)

Okay for example: Wanna be Startin Something is red, Billie Jean is green, Scream is also green, Ghosts is grey, Shake your body is red too. I see those colors when I hear those songs. And of course there are many others :)

DifferentKindOfLady;4274638 said:
Okay for example: Wanna be Startin Something is red, Billie Jean is green, Scream is also green, Ghosts is grey, Shake your body is red too. I see those colors when I hear those songs. And of course there are many others :)

Interesting. :) And do you actually see those colors in your mind, or is it more like the songs feel like they’re that color? :)

ScreenOrigami;4274642 said:
Interesting. :) And do you actually see those colors in your mind, or is it more like the songs feel like they’re that color? :)

I see them in my mind, like a big painting. :)

DifferentKindOfLady;4274644 said:
I see them in my mind, like a big painting. :)

Wow, that must add a whole new layer to the experience. Although – if it’s always been like this for you, can you even imagine how the experience is for us ordinary folks, without the colors? :)

I have so many questions. Sorry. :laughing:

It’s fascinating. :)

ScreenOrigami;4274645 said:
Wow, that must add a whole new layer to the experience. Although – if it’s always been like this for you, can you even imagine how the experience is for us ordinary folks, without the colors? :)

I have so many questions. Sorry. :laughing:

It’s fascinating. :)

It´s ok :D
To me its normal because I was born like this, but answering to your question, yesterday I ask the same question to my parents. They can´t see the colors too. I don´t know what it feels to not see them, I don´t know what people who don´t see them feel. To me seeing them is part of the song. Right now I´m listening to Rebbie´s Yours Faithfully and all I see is pink :D

DifferentKindOfLady;4274677 said:
It´s ok :D
To me its normal because I was born like this, but answering to your question, yesterday I ask the same question to my parents. They can´t see the colors too. I don´t know what it feels to not see them, I don´t know what people who don´t see them feel. To me seeing them is part of the song. Right now I´m listening to Rebbie´s Yours Faithfully and all I see is pink :D

Thanks for this new perspective. :) We’re all the same species, but there’s so much diversity. That’s amazing. :)

ScreenOrigami;4274685 said:
Thanks for this new perspective. :) We’re all the same species, but there’s so much diversity. That’s amazing. :)

Yeah and I didn't even know I have this because I thought everyone had this.
I agree its amazing! ;)

:eek: wow... looks like everybody is having fun on here. Can i join the discussion? Well, i understand how you feel Xeons, i... am willing to confide a little, that i am gifted.

Back