Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Julien Nitzberg Announces Musical FOR THE LOVE OF A GLOVE, An Unauthorized Musical Fable

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Julien Nitzberg Announces Musical FOR THE LOVE OF A GLOVE, An Unauthorized Musical Fable

Quote Originally Posted by Mikky Dee View Post
    In my opinion, it's not targeting an audience of MJ fans at all....this will be lampooning Michael in a most disrespectful, irreverent and disgusting way.
    I had originally made that post before I had read the purchase page, I think I'll reword it:

At first glance, simply by looking at the website & nothing else, the film seems to target a young group of people simply by the look of the puppets & some of the characters, while the story seems to be saying the opposite. The site to me tells me this is a J5 musical, with connections of how the Osmonds affected the group & Michael himself, nothing that seems bad.

But the more you look into it & the more you learn, it's very clear that the musical is hateful, that the musical is a targeted attempt to once again make fun of the numerous things Michael was accused them, & how he was raised in showbiz. They are taking these as jokes & trying to make fun of very serious topics, such as child abuse & religion. They only mention these in news articles & at the bottom of the purchase page, nowhere in the site does it talk about these, but instead focuses on the Osmonds. So an average person could easily be fooled by only looking at the site.
    I run an Michael Jackson Channel, check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJz...r6NeUixVghFpwA

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seldervi For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Julien Nitzberg Announces Musical FOR THE LOVE OF A GLOVE, An Unauthorized Musical Fable

Quote Originally Posted by ozemouze View Post
    Also many MJ & JD fans are fighting together for both of them, so all this is quite... strange.
    This is one of the things that irritate me all the time, when someone talks BS about Michael. Michael has fans everywhere. There’s always some kind of overlap between fan bases, no matter if you’re an R&B singer, an actor, a heavy metal drummer, or a classical violinist, and you’re sure to annoy part of your own fan base whenever you talk bad about MJ. This behavior is bizarre, any way you look at it.

Also, what I find really annoying with this particular project – aside from the pedo angle – is that it’s again trying to belittle MJ as an artist. I mean, “the strange forces that shaped Michael”, even if it’s meant to be satirical, evokes the image of a song and dance puppet, instead of the visionary and prolific artist that he actually was. Much like that horrendous hologram performance, things like these, in my opinion, are really harming the legacy of the artist and especially the human being.
    Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenOrigami View Post
    This is one of the things that irritate me all the time, when someone talks BS about Michael. Michael has fans everywhere. There’s always some kind of overlap between fan bases, no matter if you’re an R&B singer, an actor, a heavy metal drummer, or a classical violinist, and you’re sure to annoy part of your own fan base whenever you talk bad about MJ. This behavior is bizarre, any way you look at it.
    I think many of them accept that the negative portrayal of MJ is universally accepted and bashing MJ is the trend. By the time they realise it's not the case and they even lose fans over it it's too late. Like Sheryl Crow, who praised MJ after his death but changed her tune after LN thinking she supposed to do that while promoting her new album - resulting in a flop (I think she had more MJ fans supporting her than anyone would have thought, who used to buy her albums but obviously wouldn't anymore, and that shows).

And I agree, this "project", even if disguised as some abstract stuff is further strengthens the already caricature-like portrayal of MJ. I honestly can't understand how the complete dehumanisation of someone is accepted by so many so-called intellectuals (disappointingly especially by them). The same people would cry injustice from the top of the roof if similar things were happening on society level, but can't recognize when it's done to an actual individual, just stand by or even lead the lynch mob.
    I look to greet the stars
    But there's no stars to see

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ozemouze For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I think many of them accept that the negative portrayal of MJ is universally accepted and bashing MJ is the trend. By the time they realise it's not the case and they even lose fans over it it's too late. Like Sheryl Crow, who praised MJ after his death but changed her tune after LN thinking she supposed to do that while promoting her new album - resulting in a flop (I think she had more MJ fans supporting her than anyone would have thought, who used to buy her albums but obviously wouldn't anymore, and that shows).

And I agree, this "project", even if disguised as some abstract stuff is further strengthens the already caricature-like portrayal of MJ. I honestly can't understand how the complete dehumanisation of someone is accepted by so many so-called intellectuals (disappointingly especially by them). The same people would cry injustice from the top of the roof if similar things were happening on society level, but can't recognize when it's done to an actual individual, just stand by or even lead the lynch mob.
    I agree with everything you say, and the dehumanization aspect is the root of all these problems. Dehumanizing a person, or a group of people, has historically been used to get people to believe the most outrageous claims, and perform the most atrocious actions. While it’s easy to see through this while it’s small, once it gains some traction and becomes the universally accepted “truth”, it’s something that’s really hard to get out of people’s heads.

Social media gives us a great platform to turn that around, but we need to somehow orchestrate our efforts, and first and foremost, refuse to take the defensive position any longer.

The burden of proof is on the accuser. We don’t have to prove anything to anyone. In theory, that is.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 198
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

As for Johnny Depp, I love him, but that's not even the point. He's going through something similar ATM (being falsely accused which is damaging to his carrier and reputation) so this would be quite hypocritical and insensitive coming from him. Also many MJ & JD fans are fighting together for both of them, so all this is quite... strange. I'm maybe in denial, but refuse to 100% believe this - already weird - news until it's confirmed further.
    Yeah that's exactly what I thought of when I saw his name attached to this. You'd think he'd be more self-aware.

This really sounds like a piece of shit, but alas... since it's considered satirical there's not much that can be done other than to simply not see it.
    "Let's not be alone again. Will you be my partner? I hear a dance starting up. Come."

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,149 Times in 1,489 Posts

Corey Feldman has seen an article about this production on Twitter. Here are his comments:
    (Note Feldman could potentially sue if there is anything defamatory to him )

Corey Feldman@Corey_Feldman
    ·
    13h
    DEPP-SPRATE MOVES: WTF DID I JUST READ?!? IS THIS REALLY A THING? AND WTF IS WRONG W DEPP THAT HE WOULD WANT 2 PRODUCE THIS?? TONE DEAF & TASTELESS? THIS 1 TAKES THE CAKE! ID NORMALLY KEEP MY OPINIONS 2 MYSELF BUT WHEN MY NAMES AN INGREDIENT, I GOTTA CHEW!
    Also:

This reaches a new Low, 4 all parties involved. MJ, his accusers, anyone involved being #MOCKED is a giant FU 2 #SURVIVORS of all types of abuse. And even 2 those accused who have not had a trial on such accusations. It’s just plain #WRONG & #INSENSITIVE & should be stopped.
    and to someone who said it might not be true (don't folk use Google anymore?)

I’d #LOVE 2 #BELIEVE U R correct. But frighteningly and shockingly I think this is the real deal. They have dates and locations. Hence4th it’s a thing. Sounds like #MOCKERY against SOME1 fighting 2 expose #EVIL who would do such a thing?
    replying about the characters being played by puppets:
    Yea a #PUPPET apparently. So they can b as #TASTELESS as imaginable.
    (In view of the above, and since the Osmonds are apparently accused of 'cultural appropriation' in this musical, I guess there might be several lawyers reviewing this production on the first night).
    Last edited by myosotis; 30-11-2019 at 09:27 PM.
    'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amaya View Post
    This really sounds like a piece of shit, but alas... since it's considered satirical there's not much that can be done other than to simply not see it.
    That's awful, really. This was the excuse in the case of that tasteless mockery with Joseph Fiennes (what was he thinking?!) as well. It was a total flop and embarrassment in the end, but it's a shame it could have been made in the first place.
    I look to greet the stars
    But there's no stars to see

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ozemouze For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered
    Level
    Thanks

This movie is to make fun of MJ? Why Johnny Depp is involved?

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

It's a fake. Johnny Depp isn't involved.

https://twitter.com/MindofSmithy/sta...976025093?s=19

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Joce For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joce View Post
    It's a fake. Johnny Depp isn't involved.
    https://twitter.com/MindofSmithy/sta...976025093?s=19
    I really hope that’s true.

On the other hand, his involvement was my only hope that this wasn’t going to be as terrible as we imagine it to be.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

More info from another media source:

.....Michael Jackson returned to headlines earlier this year with the release of HBO’s documentary “Leaving Neverland,” which explores sex abuse allegations from two of the child actors that Jackson kept in his fray. But Nitzberg said the movie wasn’t a factor for the stage musical.

“Since the origin of this project was rooted in the fact that I wanted to find a way to address the child abuse allegations in a weird metaphorical way, the HBO documentary did not affect the story,” Nitzberg said. “This was all in the musical already. It was a bit of a relief when the HBO documentary came out because we knew that the sanctioned other Michael Jackson projects were probably going to ignore that aspect of his life while we had it as a major element.”

The musical does not cover the years Michael Jackson spent in Neverland, his fantasy ranch in Santa Barbara County. “When the gloves suggest sleepovers with young children, our Michael thinks the idea is horrible. In many ways, the gloves operate as Michael’s Jungian shadow self, allowing Michael to process his life,” Nitzberg said.
    https://www.indiewire.com/2019/12/mi...ve-1202193400/
    'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]

19. The Following User Says Thank You to myosotis For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered250 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Since Depp wants to make a satirical play about Michael, why don't we make one about Depp's own allegations? Hypocritical fool. I have lost respect for him.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Since Depp wants to make a satirical play about Michael, why don't we make one about Depp's own allegations? Hypocritical fool. I have lost respect for him.
    Scroll up a little. It appears that Depp has just denied being involved in this. Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt until we know for sure.

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

I honestly can't understand how the complete dehumanisation of someone is accepted by so many so-called intellectuals (disappointingly especially by them).
    I'll tell you why. It's because Michael was so goddamn good, that it's easier to think he was _____________ (insert whichever).

1. gifted by God
    2. an alien from outer space
    3. a radioactive mutant
    4. a weirdo monster
    5. ......
    6. .....
    7. ...

It's like..."Yeah, of course his music is incredible, he was MICHAEL JACKSON!"
    But people forget that Michael had to become Michael Jackson. He was good with music, yeah. But to simply disregard all the hard work, practice and grinding that he actually had to put in...that is so much heasier than actually acknowledging his dedication and focus.

I don't mind a satire about him, as long as it doesn't twist the truth. But puting an inanimate object as the alien power which gave him his skills...man, that is just another level of ignorance towards all the hard work Michael had to invest in the craft.
    It just takes us further away from his work and closer to the colour of his skin and state of his virginity.

I really hope it's a joke...

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SilkySnare For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

^ Didn't Elizabeth Taylor once say that MJ must be an alien, because his dancing was so amazing? (or words to that effect). She didn't mean it nastily...