Julien Nitzberg Announces Musical FOR THE LOVE OF A GLOVE, An Unauthorized Musical Fable

myosotis

Proud Member
I've no idea whether this belongs in 'Trials and Tribs' or not...
The source appears to be genuine.
The title references an old book that was in MJ's possession- about the history of gloves.

The previous musical (2007) by this writer was called 'The Beastly Bombing'. There are some clips on YT. The song 'The Bravest President' is funny in the current context. It gives an idea of the writers' sense of humour, which is pretty much no holds barred. (Along the lines of 'The Book of Mormon', but more outrageous?)

Julien Nitzberg Announces His New Musical FOR THE LOVE OF A GLOVE, An Unauthorized Musical Fable About The Life Of Michael Jackson As Told By His Glove

Local playwright/filmmaker Julien Nitzberg announced here today that his new work for the theater, FOR THE LOVE OF A GLOVE, AN UNAUTHORIZED MUSICAL FABLE ABOUT THE LIFE OF Michael Jackson AS TOLD BY HIS GLOVE, will open Friday, January 25, 2020. FOR THE LOVE OF A GLOVE is the inaugural prodution of a new addition to the thriving DTLA/Hollywood adjacent cultural scene, the Carl Sagan-Ann Druyan Theater on the ground floor of the Center For Inquiry (CFI) at 2535 W. Temple Street where, offers Nitzberg: "We are a perfect fit for this gorgeous new space especially because we share CFI's mission to critique how people misuse religion to promote homophobia and racism."

FOR THE LOVE OF A GLOVE stars Jerry Minor in the title role THRHIL-LHA (aka The Glove) and Eric B. Anthony as Michael Jackson. As with the hit Broadway musical AVENUE Q, the actors in FOR THE LOVE OF A GLOVE perform their 20 roles while visible to the audience. Unlike AVENUE Q, this show does not use "Muppet style" puppets, rather specially designed, meticulously built Japanese Bunraku-style puppets. Realistic and close to life size, these 20 all-original works of art portray all members of the Jackson 5, Donny Osmond, Emmanuel Lewis, Corey Feldman and Bubbles the Chimp. An announcement of the supporting cast will come soon.

The show's producers are Leigh Crawford, Johhny Depp, Sam Sarkar and Depp's company Infinitum Nihil, Anthony "Tony" Jones, Betsy Zajko and Burk Zanft. FOR THE LOVE OF A GLOVE is directed by Julien Nitzberg who wrote the book and lyrics. Composers are Drew Erickson, Nicole Morier and Max Townsley. Production designer is Andrea Keller; costumes by Ann Closs-Farley. Robin Walsh is lead puppet designer and puppet director. Ron Binion is puppet designer and build coordinator; Dale Van Slyke serves as puppet build assistant and assistant stage manager reporting to stage manager Sarah Dawn Lowry. Amanda Bierbauer is production manager.

FOR THE LOVE OF A GLOVE takes an off-kilter approach to the life story of Michael Jackson. Using Michael's glove as the play's narrator, the show is a fresh, revisionist look at the strange forces that shaped Jackson and the scandals that bedeviled him. By re-telling true life events through the perspective of a glove which is also a musically talented alien trying to take over humanity, the show is comical and unflinching, its music infused with the spirit of Motown.

In real life, Michael's favorite musical was THE SOUND OF MUSIC. This Rodgers and Hammerstein classic trafficked not in any of the actual music performed in real life by the von Trapp family, but rather employed a completely original score. Inspired by this, FOR THE LOVE OF A GLOVE does not use any of the Jackson 5's or Michael's music, rather only original music created by the composer team of Erickson, Morier and Townsley (more on them below).

Deeply researched, FOR THE LOVE OF A GLOVE puts at its center the Amadeus/Salieri relationship between Michael and Donny Osmond, suggesting it is the key to understanding Michael's future fixations both professional and personal. Before cultural appropriation became a contemporary buzzword, the Osmonds appropriated the Jackson 5's look and sound in a way that caused controversy in the black community but was largely ignored in the white world. FOR THE LOVE OF A GLOVE delves into this strange history while also surveying the damage that the Jehovah's Witnesses (Michael's own religion) may have inflicted on Michael, and also how its particular rules might have shaped his art. FOR THE LOVE OF A GLOVE is no greatest hits revue or "jukebox musical"; rather, like LA itself, the show is more than the sum of its numerous influences from Japan, Motown, Hollywood and multiple outer space signifiers.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/los-a...Michael-Jackson-As-Told-By-His-Glove-20191126

''Was Michael Jackson framed for horrible crimes by four aliens who were trying to take over the Earth by using him as their patsy?''

Tickets to FOR THE LOVE OF A GLOVE are on sale today at https://www.fortheloveofaglove.com

Previous Musical - The Beastly Bombing- extract: The Bravest President:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEn5mbqRkQg

Last edited:
Made a video about it (gotta redo it good god). i'm in complete shock about this. I'll see you guys opening night.

Honestly it's gonna be awful, an MJ puppet show focusing on an era in which the glove didn't exist, but y'know i hope it's "so bad it's good"

Last edited:
It seems weird and dumb, to me. I don't see how it's going to be funny, at all and I'm wondering what kind of audience it's pitching to...

It seems weird and dumb, to me. I don't see how it's going to be funny, at all and I'm wondering what kind of audience it's pitching to...

It's very odd & hard to describe, while i feel like this is targeted towards a younger group of fans (simply because of the description of "comical" & the use of puppets (especially THRHIL-LHA's design), the talk about race, religion, sexuality, & all that jazz is telling the opposite.

What era is this anyway? While the main focus (which I assume is with the Osmonds) & all the puppets are from the Motown days, the Glove & some of these characters come way later down in life. The promotional material is also showing Thriller era Michael.

Also, really sucks how they're not playing any J5/MJ tracks, I wonder what the songs they make will be about.

Johnny Depp Is Producing A Musical About Michael Jackson

Johnny Depp is teaming up with film director Julien Nitzberg for an unauthorised musical about Michael Jackson -- from the perspective of the singer's glove.

The show -- called 'For the Love of a Glove: An Unauthorized Musical Fable About the Life of Michael Jackson, as told by his Glove' -- is set to debut on January 25th in LA and will “look into the strange forces that shaped Michael and the scandals that bedeviled his reputation” as narrated by a talking, singing glove.

A description of the performance on the website continued, "By re-telling true-life events through the perspective of a glove, which is also a musically talented alien trying to take over humanity, the show is comical and unflinching, its music infused with the spirit of Motown."

Ok then!

Apparently, the performance will also feature actors starring with human-sized Japanese Bunraku-style puppets resembling the Jackson 5, Donny Osmond, Emmanuel Lewis, Corey Feldman and Bubbles the Chimp.

“I’m known for writing a lot of biopics,” filmmaker and playwright Nitzberg said, adding that he first thought of the concept nearly 20 years ago. “A major TV network wanted me to write a [Jackson] movie … but the question came up [about] how to deal with the child-abuse allegations."

While Nitzberg and the network disagreed on how to approach the scenario, the director decided to take another approach.

“I said, how’s this? Everything MJ has been accused of has actually been caused by his glove, which is actually an alien from outer space [and] feeds on virgin boy blood. They laughed and said, can you do the normal version?”

He added, "[But] it was morally kind of repugnant to me to do … I turned down a really big paycheck.”

According to Nitzberg, Johnny Depp's company Infinitum Nihil became involved in the bizarre project after the playwright worked on developing a biopic on 1960s star, Tiny Tim.

“It ended up never getting made, but I developed a very good relationship with them,” Nitzberg explained. When executives asked what projects he had in the works, he said of the MJ musical, “I’m doing this theatre piece you probably aren’t interested in,” and the rest was history.

'For the Love of a Glove: An Unauthorized Musical Fable About the Life of Michael Jackson, as told by his Glove' will be produced by Leigh Crawford, Johhny Depp, Sam Sarkar and Depp's company Infinitum Nihil, Anthony "Tony" Jones, Betsy Zajko and Burk Zanft.

It certainly sounds like it'll be an... interesting show.

Source: https://10daily.com.au/entertainment/music/a191129bnzop/johnny-depp-is-producing-a-musical-about-michael-jackson-20191129

Everything MJ has been accused of has actually been caused by his glove, which is actually an alien from outer space [and] feeds on virgin boy blood.

I guess that concept resonates with Depp. Isn't his group called 'The Hollywood vampires' ?

myosotis;4275443 said:
I guess that concept resonates with Depp. Isn't his group called 'The Hollywood vampires' ?

Good point.

While we don’t know if this is his actual concept, or simply an anecdote, the whole idea of a satirical musical is absurd. I mean, even if Depp believes that the horrible things Michael is being accused of were true – how sick does someone have to be to think it would be a great idea to make a satirical musical about child abuse? :puke:

Honestly, these are the people that have actual problems.

Also, if they don’t use any of MJ’s music, who is their target audience anyway? Why would anyone even want to see this? Ask your date out for dinner and a pedo musical? :woohoo:

It does look like not so much 'fringe' theatre as 'cringe' theatre. I see the minimum age to attend is 18.

They say there is 'beanbag seating' right at the front of the stage on opening night for:
'the full Neverland experience'.

This seating (at $100 each) is already sold out.

Go figure....

https://glove.brownpapertickets.com/

It's disappointing that one of MJ's trademark costume items might become an object of more-than-usual ridicule. The innocent sparkly glove (to cover his vitiligo) which kids love to copy, along with the sparkly socks and fedora, doesn't deserve to become some weird psycho comedy item.

Just why.....literally anything for $$. I honestly thought depp was better then this.

It's very odd & hard to describe, while i feel like this is targeted towards a younger group of fans (simply because of the description of "comical" & the use of puppets (especially THRHIL-LHA's design), the talk about race, religion, sexuality, & all that jazz is telling the opposite.

In my opinion, it's not targeting an audience of MJ fans at all....this will be lampooning Michael in a most disrespectful, irreverent and disgusting way.

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone could trace this back to those NAMBLA pervs. I mean, if this isn’t an attempt to normalize pedophilia, then what is?

I never understood how anyone ever felt it was appropriate to make jokes about child abuse. Some topics are simply off-limits for any kind of lighthearted entertainment.

I never cared much about Depp, but I’m still surprised to see his name associated with something like this. Do we have to run background checks on everyone in the entertainment industry now?

I’m also more upset than I probably should be about the fact that the theater has Carl Sagan’s name in it. The man who brought us the baloney detection kit.

ScreenOrigami;4275502 said:
I never understood how anyone ever felt it was appropriate to make jokes about child abuse. Some topics are simply off-limits for any kind of lighthearted entertainment.[/URL].
I think it speaks volumes actually, proving that those making these cheap jokes are well aware that the allegations against MJ aren't true, hence they are able to take them lightly (it's still disgusting of course but very telling at the same time).

As for Johnny Depp, I love him, but that's not even the point. He's going through something similar ATM (being falsely accused which is damaging to his carrier and reputation) so this would be quite hypocritical and insensitive coming from him. Also many MJ & JD fans are fighting together for both of them, so all this is quite... strange. I'm maybe in denial, but refuse to 100% believe this - already weird - news until it's confirmed further.

ScreenOrigami;4275502 said:
I’m also more upset than I probably should be about the fact that the theater has Carl Sagan’s name in it. The man who brought us the baloney detection kit.
Thanks for the link, bits of knowledge like this is always appreciated! I felt something similar about LN being premiered at Sundance, which supposed to be a festival for INDEPENDENT films. I don't think a film could be more corporate, backed by power and driven by an agenda than LN (hiring an unknown, unprofessional "director" to do the job won't change that).

In my opinion, it's not targeting an audience of MJ fans at all....this will be lampooning Michael in a most disrespectful, irreverent and disgusting way.

I had originally made that post before I had read the purchase page, I think I'll reword it:

At first glance, simply by looking at the website & nothing else, the film seems to target a young group of people simply by the look of the puppets & some of the characters, while the story seems to be saying the opposite. The site to me tells me this is a J5 musical, with connections of how the Osmonds affected the group & Michael himself, nothing that seems bad.

But the more you look into it & the more you learn, it's very clear that the musical is hateful, that the musical is a targeted attempt to once again make fun of the numerous things Michael was accused them, & how he was raised in showbiz. They are taking these as jokes & trying to make fun of very serious topics, such as child abuse & religion. They only mention these in news articles & at the bottom of the purchase page, nowhere in the site does it talk about these, but instead focuses on the Osmonds. So an average person could easily be fooled by only looking at the site.

ozemouze;4275512 said:
Also many MJ & JD fans are fighting together for both of them, so all this is quite... strange.

This is one of the things that irritate me all the time, when someone talks BS about Michael. Michael has fans everywhere. There’s always some kind of overlap between fan bases, no matter if you’re an R&B singer, an actor, a heavy metal drummer, or a classical violinist, and you’re sure to annoy part of your own fan base whenever you talk bad about MJ. This behavior is bizarre, any way you look at it.

Also, what I find really annoying with this particular project – aside from the pedo angle – is that it’s again trying to belittle MJ as an artist. I mean, “the strange forces that shaped Michael”, even if it’s meant to be satirical, evokes the image of a song and dance puppet, instead of the visionary and prolific artist that he actually was. Much like that horrendous hologram performance, things like these, in my opinion, are really harming the legacy of the artist and especially the human being.

ScreenOrigami;4275523 said:
This is one of the things that irritate me all the time, when someone talks BS about Michael. Michael has fans everywhere. There’s always some kind of overlap between fan bases, no matter if you’re an R&B singer, an actor, a heavy metal drummer, or a classical violinist, and you’re sure to annoy part of your own fan base whenever you talk bad about MJ. This behavior is bizarre, any way you look at it.
I think many of them accept that the negative portrayal of MJ is universally accepted and bashing MJ is the trend. By the time they realise it's not the case and they even lose fans over it it's too late. Like Sheryl Crow, who praised MJ after his death but changed her tune after LN thinking she supposed to do that while promoting her new album - resulting in a flop (I think she had more MJ fans supporting her than anyone would have thought, who used to buy her albums but obviously wouldn't anymore, and that shows).

And I agree, this "project", even if disguised as some abstract stuff is further strengthens the already caricature-like portrayal of MJ. I honestly can't understand how the complete dehumanisation of someone is accepted by so many so-called intellectuals (disappointingly especially by them). The same people would cry injustice from the top of the roof if similar things were happening on society level, but can't recognize when it's done to an actual individual, just stand by or even lead the lynch mob.

ozemouze;4275530 said:
I think many of them accept that the negative portrayal of MJ is universally accepted and bashing MJ is the trend. By the time they realise it's not the case and they even lose fans over it it's too late. Like Sheryl Crow, who praised MJ after his death but changed her tune after LN thinking she supposed to do that while promoting her new album - resulting in a flop (I think she had more MJ fans supporting her than anyone would have thought, who used to buy her albums but obviously wouldn't anymore, and that shows).

And I agree, this "project", even if disguised as some abstract stuff is further strengthens the already caricature-like portrayal of MJ. I honestly can't understand how the complete dehumanisation of someone is accepted by so many so-called intellectuals (disappointingly especially by them). The same people would cry injustice from the top of the roof if similar things were happening on society level, but can't recognize when it's done to an actual individual, just stand by or even lead the lynch mob.

I agree with everything you say, and the dehumanization aspect is the root of all these problems. Dehumanizing a person, or a group of people, has historically been used to get people to believe the most outrageous claims, and perform the most atrocious actions. While it’s easy to see through this while it’s small, once it gains some traction and becomes the universally accepted “truth”, it’s something that’s really hard to get out of people’s heads.

Social media gives us a great platform to turn that around, but we need to somehow orchestrate our efforts, and first and foremost, refuse to take the defensive position any longer.

The burden of proof is on the accuser. We don’t have to prove anything to anyone. In theory, that is.

As for Johnny Depp, I love him, but that's not even the point. He's going through something similar ATM (being falsely accused which is damaging to his carrier and reputation) so this would be quite hypocritical and insensitive coming from him. Also many MJ & JD fans are fighting together for both of them, so all this is quite... strange. I'm maybe in denial, but refuse to 100% believe this - already weird - news until it's confirmed further.

Yeah that's exactly what I thought of when I saw his name attached to this. You'd think he'd be more self-aware.

This really sounds like a piece of shit, but alas... since it's considered satirical there's not much that can be done other than to simply not see it.

Corey Feldman has seen an article about this production on Twitter. Here are his comments:
(Note Feldman could potentially sue if there is anything defamatory to him )

Corey Feldman@Corey_Feldman
·
13h
DEPP-SPRATE MOVES: WTF DID I JUST READ?!? IS THIS REALLY A THING? AND WTF IS WRONG W DEPP THAT HE WOULD WANT 2 PRODUCE THIS?? TONE DEAF & TASTELESS? THIS 1 TAKES THE CAKE! ID NORMALLY KEEP MY OPINIONS 2 MYSELF BUT WHEN MY NAMES AN INGREDIENT, I GOTTA CHEW!

Also:

This reaches a new Low, 4 all parties involved. MJ, his accusers, anyone involved being #MOCKED is a giant FU 2 #SURVIVORS of all types of abuse. And even 2 those accused who have not had a trial on such accusations. It’s just plain #WRONG & #INSENSITIVE & should be stopped.

and to someone who said it might not be true (don't folk use Google anymore?)

I’d #LOVE 2 #BELIEVE U R correct. But frighteningly and shockingly I think this is the real deal. They have dates and locations. Hence4th it’s a thing. Sounds like #MOCKERY against SOME1 fighting 2 expose #EVIL who would do such a thing?

replying about the characters being played by puppets:
Yea a #PUPPET apparently. So they can b as #TASTELESS as imaginable.

(In view of the above, and since the Osmonds are apparently accused of 'cultural appropriation' in this musical, I guess there might be several lawyers reviewing this production on the first night).

Last edited:
This really sounds like a piece of shit, but alas... since it's considered satirical there's not much that can be done other than to simply not see it.
That's awful, really. This was the excuse in the case of that tasteless mockery with Joseph Fiennes (what was he thinking?!) as well. It was a total flop and embarrassment in the end, but it's a shame it could have been made in the first place.

More info from another media source:

.....Michael Jackson returned to headlines earlier this year with the release of HBO’s documentary “Leaving Neverland,” which explores sex abuse allegations from two of the child actors that Jackson kept in his fray. But Nitzberg said the movie wasn’t a factor for the stage musical.

“Since the origin of this project was rooted in the fact that I wanted to find a way to address the child abuse allegations in a weird metaphorical way, the HBO documentary did not affect the story,” Nitzberg said. “This was all in the musical already. It was a bit of a relief when the HBO documentary came out because we knew that the sanctioned other Michael Jackson projects were probably going to ignore that aspect of his life while we had it as a major element.”

The musical does not cover the years Michael Jackson spent in Neverland, his fantasy ranch in Santa Barbara County. “When the gloves suggest sleepovers with young children, our Michael thinks the idea is horrible. In many ways, the gloves operate as Michael’s Jungian shadow self, allowing Michael to process his life,” Nitzberg said.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/12/michael-jackson-for-the-love-of-a-glove-1202193400/

Since Depp wants to make a satirical play about Michael, why don't we make one about Depp's own allegations? Hypocritical fool. I have lost respect for him.

Xeones;4275725 said:
Since Depp wants to make a satirical play about Michael, why don't we make one about Depp's own allegations? Hypocritical fool. I have lost respect for him.

Scroll up a little. It appears that Depp has just denied being involved in this. Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt until we know for sure. :)

I honestly can't understand how the complete dehumanisation of someone is accepted by so many so-called intellectuals (disappointingly especially by them).

I'll tell you why. It's because Michael was so goddamn good, that it's easier to think he was _____________ (insert whichever).

1. gifted by God
2. an alien from outer space
3. a radioactive mutant
4. a weirdo monster
5. ......
6. .....
7. ...

It's like..."Yeah, of course his music is incredible, he was MICHAEL JACKSON!"
But people forget that Michael had to become Michael Jackson. He was good with music, yeah. But to simply disregard all the hard work, practice and grinding that he actually had to put in...that is so much heasier than actually acknowledging his dedication and focus.

I don't mind a satire about him, as long as it doesn't twist the truth. But puting an inanimate object as the alien power which gave him his skills...man, that is just another level of ignorance towards all the hard work Michael had to invest in the craft.
It just takes us further away from his work and closer to the colour of his skin and state of his virginity.

I really hope it's a joke...

^ Didn't Elizabeth Taylor once say that MJ must be an alien, because his dancing was so amazing? (or words to that effect). She didn't mean it nastily...

Back