What I'd Do With Invincible.

Xeones

Proud Member
Alright... I've seen some people talking about what they would do with Invincible. So, I thought I'd make a little post- I couldn't be bothered with an overly detailed one. Let's say Michael has creative control over the album. Complete control, as he should have. We all know that would instantly make for a better end product. He is able to oversee more of the marketing, and the songs would come out better. I'd have it as a double album. Two CDs. CD 1 is all of the ballads and softer songs. I would add Fall Again and Beautiful Girl to that CD, because we all know I love those songs. CD 2 is all of the 'rough' and 'angry' songs. To that, I would add... Xscape, Shout and Blue Gangsta. I don't want to cut any songs because people get mad when you do that. I would have a limited edition black cover. 10,000 printed. The lead singles, I'm not sure. Maybe Butterflies, Invincible and Heaven Can Wait. Butterflies and Break of Dawn get short films made for them as well as You Rock My World. Threatened receives a short film in 2003, because why not?

I don't know if the picture works.

Yes, I know my additions would make for a much longer album, but I don't care. Realism is thrown out of the window right now! Invincible had the potential to be expanded into something like this, and I'm having fun writing this post! In terms of live performances to support the album, I would have a small concert residency at MSG instead of the Anniversary Concerts. No tour, because I wouldn't put him through that. Not even in my little fantasy. Ten shows in the residency. There would be a surprise eleventh show, a reunion with his brothers.

So, I think what I've done could've boosted sales to 15-20 million. I think, really, the proper marketing alone could have done that. Have fun with this, either enjoy it or tear me to shreds!

All these people making fanfiction about Invincible...instead of just sitting down and giving it a chance.

Oh well, their loss, I guess. I'm blasting the album every single day while driving to work. No other sound on this planet really compares to what Invincible gives me.

edit
What I'd do with Invincible
I don't know. Have you tried listening to it?

All these people making fanfiction about Invincible...instead of just sitting down and giving it a chance.

Oh well, their loss, I guess. I'm blasting the album every single day while driving to work. No other sound on this planet really compares to what Invincible gives me.

edit

It's my favourite album... I was just having fun with it. Show me where I called it a bad album or whatever.

Oh, sorry, looks like I've misread it.

It's just that so many people come up with ideas on how to improve Invincible, it's getting tiring :)

It's just that so many people come up with ideas on how to improve Invincible, it's getting tiring :)

It's okay! I wasn't even suggesting improvements, just making it a double-album as Mike wanted, lol! Making fantasy albums/tours is my favourite thing, that's all!

It definitely needs improving in my opinion.

Invincible just never felt like a fully fledged Michael Jackson album to me. There are songs that have the classic MJ sound to them like Threatened, You Rock My World and Unbreakable. But then there are songs that don't ''feel'' like MJ songs to me like Heaven Can Wait, Break Of Dawn and Butterflies. Those songs sound like they could have been sung by anyone

Invincible just never felt like a fully fledged Michael Jackson album to me. There are songs that have the classic MJ sound to them like Threatened, You Rock My World and Unbreakable. But then there are songs that don't ''feel'' like MJ songs to me like Heaven Can Wait, Break Of Dawn and Butterflies. Those songs sound like they could have been sung by anyone

I agree in a way- Butterflies wasn't written by Mike, though. So, yes, anyone could sing those ballads in theory. But, the question is, could anyone else execute them in that way? Blame $ony for forcing his hand in the "modern" direction and not letting his creativity flow.

I agree in a way- Butterflies wasn't written by Mike, though. So, yes, anyone could sing those ballads in theory. But, the question is, could anyone else execute them in that way? Blame $ony for forcing his hand in the "modern" direction and not letting his creativity flow.

I can't believe you guys are saying that those three marvels don't feel like Mike. You mean to tell that just because Michael didn't write MITM, he didn't make that song his own? No wait, you gonna say those three tunes are nowhere near the caliber of MITM. I beg to differ; in my book, they are absolute masterpieces. In any case, Xeones is quite right - it's all about delivery, no one else, but Michael could do it in that way.

To me, it doesn't matter who wrote the songs and I don't even care if it was Sony who forced Michael to record that type of songs. Goodness, I'm even thankful in a way if they are the ones to 'blame' for it, because I simply can't imagine Invincible or Michael's repertoire without them, being the silly, little helpless romantic that I am. I can however understand that not everyone was into neo-soul like I was back in 2001, so I can see why some would not relate to those songs or relate them to Michael himself.

And btw of Vince, back in late October, on Michael's official twitter account there was a post about the album being all grown up, turning 18. In the comments, I found a really good review, but I can't be bothered right now to go and look for it.

Xeones, I actually like your idea about turning it into a double album; leaving stuff out would unavoidably upset some people. And just as I can't conceive how anyone could delete those three songs, I also know that are others that love DWA. So your idea to supplement the album was good. It also is my favorite one, we definitely agree there. It was also good of you to separate the songs into rhythm/themes. Actually that touches up one of my own ideas, but that's for another thread :fear:

It is nice to sit here and fantasize about alternative avenues, but at the end of the day what mattered most were Michael's choices. I guess I'm contracting myself given my earlier lines, but I do believe he needed absolute creative freedom and only marketing support from a label. He should have been free to sing and write about whatever he felt like and not even our own tastes, wishes and priorities matter in that scheme. He wasn't our singing and dancing puppet.

But he did tell Geraldo that he liked to work hard on something, sweat over it and prayed that the people like it, because he liked people and he liked making them happy. I guess those prayers were answered, because most of what he expressed artistically resonated with so many of us, all around the world, over all the decades.

Man In The Mirror wasn't written by Michael either. But can you imagine anyone else singing that?

I get you and I completely agree. Not because we are MJ fans we have to say that every song sounds like a hit... we can be objective too.

edit

LOL........some of you are so salty with each other on here.

I think positive day-dreaming about what we'd like to see with an album (if reality was suspended) is okay.

I enjoyed reading Xeones' ideas and I think some of them are good ones. "What-ifs" are fun to think about.

Lord knows, there's precious little else to think about/talk about these days, right?

It's okay! I wasn't even suggesting improvements, just making it a double-album as Mike wanted, lol! Making fantasy albums/tours is my favourite thing, that's all!

I approve of your favourite thing. ;)

I do believe he needed absolute creative freedom and only marketing support from a label. He should have been free to sing and write about whatever he felt like and not even our own tastes, wishes and priorities matter in that scheme. He wasn't our singing and dancing puppet.

But he did tell Geraldo that he liked to work hard on something, sweat over it and prayed that the people like it, because he liked people and he liked making them happy. I guess those prayers were answered, because most of what he expressed artistically resonated with so many of us, all around the world, over all the decades.

Excellent points and I agree completely.

I'd have it as a double album. Two CDs. CD 1 is all of the ballads and softer songs. I would add Fall Again and Beautiful Girl to that CD, because we all know I love those songs. CD 2 is all of the 'rough' and 'angry' songs. To that, I would add... Xscape, Shout and Blue Gangsta. I don't want to cut any songs because people get mad when you do that. I would have a limited edition black cover. 10,000 printed. The lead singles, I'm not sure. Maybe Butterflies, Invincible and Heaven Can Wait. Butterflies and Break of Dawn get short films made for them as well as You Rock My World. Threatened receives a short film in 2003, because why not?

Great idea to have ballads on one CD and hard rock on the other; although sometimes a blend, or a mix up of the two, is done to provide variety for the ear and opportunities for a rise and fall of the emotions. Perhaps an entire CD of the hard songs would be too intense, emotionally....I don't know. ~shrug~

I like all of your ideas for the added songs, except for Shout(dodges rotten tomatoes). I'd have Slave to the Rhythm (on CD 2) and Hold My Hand (on CD 1) as well.

Butterflies, Heaven Can Wait and Break of Dawn aren't strong enough for lead singles, in my view, but that could just be coming from my own indifference to those three. Hahaha! I love Michael's vocal delivery of them, but I just don't like the songs themselves, very much....lyrical content, melody, etc. (dodges rotten tomatoes again).

I think Whatever Happens is slept on, a LOT by fans and to me, that's a travesty....I would have liked to see it as a lead single and an official video, featuring Carlos Santana (in the same vein as "Smooth" by Rob Thomas). A short film for Threatened would be frikkin' awesome.

Great idea to have ballads on one CD and hard rock on the other; although sometimes a blend, or a mix up of the two, is done to provide variety for the ear and opportunities for a rise and fall of the emotions. Perhaps an entire CD of the hard songs would be too intense, emotionally, with every song going back to back to back, you know? ~shrug~ Butterflies, Heaven Can Wait and Break of Dawn aren't strong enough for lead singles, in my view, but that could just be coming from my own indifference to those three. Hahaha! I think Whatever Happens is slept on, a LOT by fans and to me, that's a travesty....I would have liked to see it as a lead single and an official video, featuring Carlos Santana (in the same vein as "Smooth" by Rob Thomas). A short film for Threatened would be frikkin' awesome.

I see your point about the variation and opportunity to listen to a different type of song. The way I set up the two CDs was an extremely personal preference, though. It stems from my own problem of, if I'm in the mood to listen to a softer/sweeter song, I like to stick to that. The CDs would be, for me, a way to listen to the album depending on my mood. Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

Excellent points and I agree completely.

Glad you do. I actually think what I wrote there was pretty common-sensical actually, nothing special. I think we all need to keep the perspectives in check. Michael's fans tend to be some of nicest people on earth showing support in terribly trying moments, but some of them can also quite harsh and demanding.

As for your 'offer' to post more......well, well. I guess time will tell. I still feel like I got a few things to say around here, but I don't want to make any promises that I may not be able to keep.

I see your point about the variation and opportunity to listen to a different type of song. The way I set up the two CDs was an extremely personal preference, though. It stems from my own problem of, if I'm in the mood to listen to a softer/sweeter song, I like to stick to that. The CDs would be, for me, a way to listen to the album depending on my mood. Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

It makes absolute sense to me. I'm also like that.

Glad you do. I actually think what I wrote there was pretty common-sensical actually, nothing special. I think we all need to keep the perspectives in check. Michael's fans tend to be some of nicest people on earth showing support in terribly trying moments, but some of them can also quite harsh and demanding.

As for your 'offer' to post more......well, well. I guess time will tell. I still feel like I got a few things to say around here, but I don't want to make any promises that I may not be able to keep.

It makes absolute sense to me. I'm also like that.

I'm in a 'Rock With You' mood right now. I want to dance! I'm buzzing with ideas for posts. I might make a part two to this.

"Invincible" is a highly underrated album, and folks need to give it more of a chance. I still remember all the fuss surrounding its first release, and its hard to believe that was almost 20 years ago.

Listened to it all the way thru - from beginning till the end, no skips og anything.

Great album. Somee of the songs go on for too long IMO. The endings could have been cut shorter.

Maybe I would have changed 2000 Watts and Privacy for Blue Gangsta and Xscape.

But I think Privacy meant a lot to MJ - so I understand why he wanted to have it on the album.

"Invincible" is a highly underrated album, and folks need to give it more of a chance. I still remember all the fuss surrounding its first release, and its hard to believe that was almost 20 years ago.

I don't think Invincible is underrated at all, within the fan community. People have heard it and given it many chances, it's just that some people don't consider it to be a strong album for Michael Jackson standards.

I myself love the Invincible album with all it's flaws.

Last edited:
I don't think Invincible is underrated at all, within the fan community. People have heard it and given it many chances, it's just that some people don't consider it to be a strong album for Michael Jackson standards.

I myself love the Invincible album with all it's flaws.
I also love the Invincible album! I play it all the time. The fan community may not underate it, but I cringe when I read elsewhere that it was a flop, his worst album. I particularly love "Speechless".

Fans have the right to have their say and give their opinions. But one criticism of Invincible that I don’t like is when people say that it’s too long, that there are too many songs on the album.

Think about it, MJ wasn’t prolific in putting out albums. He wasn’t like Prince who was releasing albums every year. Michael used to take 4-5 years between albums. In the case of Invincible, it was his first studio album in 6 years. I wasn’t a MJ fan back then, but if I was and Invincible only had 9-10 songs, I would have been quite annoyed that after waiting for so long for a new album, we only got 9-10 new songs. So I have zero problems with the length of the Invincible album.

Nite Line;4277789 said:
Fans have the right to have their say and give their opinions. But one criticism of Invincible that I don’t like is when people say that it’s too long, that there are too many songs on the album.

Think about it, MJ wasn’t prolific in putting out albums. He wasn’t like Prince who was releasing albums every year. Michael used to take 4-5 years between albums. In the case of Invincible, it was his first studio album in 6 years. I wasn’t a MJ fan back then, but if I was and Invincible only had 9-10 songs, I would have been quite annoyed that after waiting for so long for a new album, we only got 9-10 new songs. So I have zero problems with the length of the Invincible album.

Invincible is the same length as Dangerous and HIStory. 77 minutes

Invincible is the same length as Dangerous and HIStory. 77 minutes

That's one thing about Invincible, it feels much longer than it actually is. Maybe it's pacing or the order of the tracklist, it just feels very drawn out compared to Dangerous and History.

Back