IMPORTANT PLEASE READ: It's Time To Start Sharing The Burden...

Gaz

Owner And Founder
Staff member
Country
United-Kingdom
Guys - I'm affriad this is the final, I really want to keep this place hosted on it's server, but I am no longer willing to pay for it in full, I get nothing from this place, I don't even visit or post very often anymore...:cry:

I am more than willing to keep the hosting going and as and when needed to sort any technical issues (when I have the time) But I'm really sorry to say that I am not willing to pay for it anymore, at least all on my own.

So 2020 is a new direction, you guys the active users need to come together yoursleves and between you decide, perhaps have conversations, pm each other or others to help, its either that I will be removing this site and forum's server.

These are the times we are in and this is the future...

I'm so so sorry to bring this to you all, but I feel I have been putting it of for a few years now in hope something will come along and your MJ santuary away from all the haters and liars will continue, but its not to be and clearly we as a community need to take the burden or its over.

Anyways guys, all you got to do is perhaps organise some sort of collective group that manages things between you all to ensure this is actioned, by making steps to get those who use this place, love this place, call this place thier MJ home, help keep it.

Anyways guys, much love to you all, I really do hope for a collective community outcome to this situation.

Best,
Gaz

Re: Time To Start Sharing The Burden...

Guys - I'm affriad this is the final, I really want to keep this place hosted on it's server, but I am no longer willing to pay for it in full, I get nothing from this place, I don't even visit or post very often anymore...:cry:

I am more than willing to keep the hosting going and as and when needed to sort any technical issues (when I have the time) But I'm really sorry to say that I am not willing to pay for it anymore, at least all on my own.

So 2020 is a new direction, you guys the active users need to come together yoursleves and between you decide, perhaps have conversations, pm each other or others to help, its either that I will be removing this site and forum's server.

These are the times we are in and this is the future...

I'm so so sorry to bring this to you all, but I feel I have been putting it of for a few years now in hope something will come along and your MJ santuary away from all the haters and liars will continue, but its not to be and clearly we as a community need to take the burden or its over.

Anyways guys, all you got to do is perhaps organise some sort of collective group that manages things between you all to ensure this is actioned, by making steps to get those who use this place, love this place, call this place thier MJ home, help keep it.

Anyways guys, much love to you all, I really do hope for a collective community outcome to this situation.

Best,
Gaz
?I couldve sworn I saw this before

Ok but under donations then I checked earlier it said you had received $80 and the goal for this month was $100 so I donated $20.

Gaz,

I'm happy to help out either from technical side or donation wise.

Can you give some statistics on how big DB is, where it's currently hosted (type of hosting: shared, VPS etc) and the costs associated with it?

Just trying to understand what could be done to bring down costs and to improve things.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

I'm really saying this with love for this place. MJJC does not have to shut down, a facelift is needed. Pride needs to be put aside, peoples talent need to be utilized, and progression with the times must be brought in.

MJJC has many followers and many people that have a level of distrust. I am openly saying this because I want this place to continue! I have had a number of individuals stop speaking to me because of the fact I've always called mjjc (and prior to that mjjf) 'home'.

A public 'changing of the guards' with a public announcement revealing the change and campaign would do a lot. There are several things we could be doing to save this.

* donation of talent
* A unique paid section with good incentive to actually use it
* youtube live

Things could be stripped back, the pressure of the name that comes with mjjc needs to be looked at differently. There are people that love coming to mjjc yet feel obligated to stay away because of social pressure.

I think right now in this thread it would be best to focus on solving the financial and hosting situation, and keep other discussions in a separate thread. :)

Gaz can’t and shouldn’t have to pay for this out of their own pocket. And if people like Herrie have ideas how to save some money on the hosting costs, even better.

Let’s focus on that for now, until it’s solved. :)

donated a few times in the past.. just did it again and will always donate when i have money! :)
everyone should do.. at least 10 dollars.

kai;4277613 said:
donated a few times in the past.. just did it again and will always donate when i have money! :)
everyone should do.. at least 10 dollars.

A Patreon would make it easy for people to donate on a regular basis, so that Gaz won’t have to worry about it anymore. :)

Gaz,

I'm happy to help out either from technical side or donation wise.

Can you give some statistics on how big DB is, where it's currently hosted (type of hosting: shared, VPS etc) and the costs associated with it?

Just trying to understand what could be done to bring down costs and to improve things.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Herrie can you pm Gaz about this? It sounds like you know what you're talking about and we need a more lasting solution than the waves of donations that are a result of the Gaz asking for help.

I've donated every now and then and am willing to back up this place financially on a monthly basis but we will only gather enough people to do this if people are informed on the possibilities, on how there money is spent and get insight on what's needed.

I'm sure there is a solution for this. Let's keep this thing going people and thank you Gaz for all you've done.

Greez and as soon i just join a few months ago. i'm gonna be honest. this is a great oldest MJ site i been to so far. this site does need more updates and mods. if the owner planning on leaving we need another well respect older MJ fan.

this is great site been going for 17-18 years. i don't wanna see it go. and newer fans and older fans alike been joining this site since the fallout early this year march.

i hope this place get enough donations and a new owner and some more mods. a lot of people from the older gen and new gen are here. so i only wish this site the best as we stand.

if this end, it's was nice joining this site for a few months. great to see mj fans still around and saving his legacy.

is there any other sites to recommend if this site close down?

I am willing to contribute as well.

Herrie - I will PM you.

Gaz - if the site does go down, what will have happen with all the stuff we have collated over the years (the research, articles, documents, etc)?

We probably made need to get rid of some of things off this site if we can't paid for all of them. for example the groups award. there's no reason to make groups so that would be one of the best things to remove from the site.

somethings need to be remove from this site especially no need for them or just sitting there for no reason. make some room. this site doesn't have to be the bestest but at least good enough for MJ news and fans can talk to each other. not forget mods to look after people and rules etc.

a site can't keep going without good mods or owner there's something else we need too as well.

the chat room too. people use it but not much. we need to down size this place.

Gaz;4277580 said:

Gaz, could you give a quick status update about the donations? Is January covered now?

And what do you think about starting a Patreon to your name to collect our donations automatically going forward? I believe, this would solve the financial problem for good. If 20 people pledge to give $5 per month, for example, you’d have a steady $100 coming in each month. Patreon donations can start with as little as $1 per month. We’ll surely find enough people to join. :)

How much are you currently paying for this site (domain, hosting …) per month? It would be helpful for us to know how much money we need to raise.

Gaz. since you the owner how much you pay for this site with other members involved?

I just learned on Twitter that the amount we need to raise per month is $146, and they’re now looking into ways to organize the funding via Patreon and/or GoFundMe. Keep donating via PayPal for now. Every little bit helps! :)

I agree this place could be downsized a bit. Though things like chat, blogs, news site etc can't be that much extra data.

I don't get how this place costs $146 a month. What kind of ultra expensive hosting is that? A fully dedicated server? If so, with the kind of traffic that the forum has these days, this could be downsized to a way cheaper V-Server for sure.

Last edited:
Electro;4277689 said:
I agree this place could be downsized a bit. Though things like chat, blogs, news site etc can't be that much extra data.

I don't get how this place costs $146 a month. What kind of ultra expensive hosting is that? A fully dedicated server?
A V-Server with more space and free traffic than a forum would ever need, costs about 30 euro a month over here.

You don’t want to host a forum like this in Germany though, with all the GDPR regulations we now have in place. :laughing:

ScreenOrigami;4277690 said:
You don’t want to host a forum like this in Germany though, with all the GDPR regulations we now have in place. :laughing:

True, though I managed to ignore all that while running a small forum so far. :D

But just saying, there should be way cheaper hosting options also in the USA.

Electro;4277692 said:
True, though I managed to ignore all that while running a small forum so far. :D

But just saying, there should be way cheaper hosting options also in the USA.

Yep, I hope they’ll find something. For now, let’s try to keep it funded as it is, while people come up with ideas for a new hosting plan. :)

Actually, I have also asked around a bit, and someone who knows a thing or two about hosting plans went “Oooof!” when I told him we’re looking at a forum with almost 3 million posts and over 110,000 members. That person told me $100 or more is absolutely reasonable for that large a database. But that’s only what I was told. I’m sure among those 110,000 members there are people who know more about this. Like Herrie a few posts earlier, for example. :)

Would it be worth putting together a poll of the top 5 things people enjoy/use here (MJJC) to evaluate what are the key driving areas to keep, review for change, and possibly cut back on?

An idea

Would it be worth putting together a poll of the top 5 things people enjoy/use here (MJJC) to evaluate what are the key driving areas to keep, review for change, and possibly cut back on?

An idea

I suggest we keep the focus in this thread on the funding and hosting solutions only, and discuss other changes in the other thread. :)

The MJJC cpanel account is 262GB in size, 95% of that is the forum due to the amount of posts and members spanning almost 2 decades, removing the chats and a few other bits will not have any impact as they are only around a 100MB total in size, to put it into perspective my present supplier's (who are very competative) highest VPS has only 240GB SSD storage, then they go onto dedicated which is what we are on now, it's a dilema that has me stuck, the only way I can move back to a cheaper vps is by getting rid of the forum, which we know is closure as nothing else is being used.

Anyways, for now I have set up a Patreon for MJJC https://www.patreon.com/mjjcommunity please share and stuff, I will also set up a go fund me, but this is simple, all monies that go into the MJJC account are purely to pay this anything more carries over to the next month anything less I have to personally pick up which I have been doing for almost 20 years now. But I'm really sorry to say that its now the time we as a collective start sharing this if we want this to continue, Oh and I'm more than happy to continue supporting the site technically as my time costs nothing and of course paying my own monthly small amount like anyone else that does.

If ya ask me, I agree with setting up Patreon for this, several artists I knew used it very often for commissions.

Back