Created Blog entryVeteranThree FriendsOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,918 Times in 1,637 Posts

Default Re: HIStory 25 [MERGED]

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    You're welcome! hahahah

On TDCAU I'm not so bothered, you know. I feel like, given I bought HIStory on the Saturday of it's first week release, and I have about 4 different TDCAU singles, then I have all the versions with their minor changes - incidentally I do prefer the "single version" over the appearance on the LP, the 'LP edit' and the 'single edit'. Besides the loud sound effects over the 'offensive' lyrics there is an extra drum beat that appears in the 'single version' that elevates the track just another step.

I also think MJ signed off on the change. So what would he want now? Difficult one. I suppose the way to do it would be to present both versions and give them plenty of context as to what MJ meant, the controversy it generated and why MJ was compelled to change it.

Also, lazy once again to assume that there's nothing of value to put on an anniversary edition of the album. As I commented on in a different thread, these are just covers for the Estate's lack of action.
    AGREED! TDCAU single edit is rockin! Always my favourite edit of the song. The censor sound effects were cool also. There's another version where the word's just double up and it's not as good.

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,154 Posts

Those versions sound cool because MJ wouldn’t release anything that doesn’t. But they are still crippled versions of the original artistic vision.
    Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenOrigami View Post
    But they are still crippled versions of the original artistic vision.
    Nevertheless they're still state of the art masterpieces if compared to posthumous "album versions" released by the Estate.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzball For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzball View Post
    Nevertheless they're still state of the art masterpieces if compared to posthumous "album versions" released by the Estate.
    True, but that’s not the problem I have with the censorship that’s been going on for 25 years now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,489 Times in 815 Posts

Also, lazy once again to assume that there's nothing of value to put on an anniversary edition of the album. As I commented on in a different thread, these are just covers for the Estate's lack of action.
    Yep, like you said before any time any of us suggest the estate actually put effort into something people come in making every excuse under the sun and acting like we're somehow at fault for wanting to pay for something that isn't subpar.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmoothGangsta For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,727 Times in 1,719 Posts

You don't know that with any higher degree of certainty than I do.

That's my entire point -- people cry "lack of action" and "lazy" because we don't get exactly what we want, even if what we want is unrealistic. Sometimes these claims are warranted (e.g., the HIStory 25 merch, the 2016 Off the Wall reissue), but sometimes they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothGangsta View Post
    Yep, like you said before any time any of us suggest the estate actually put effort into something people come in making every excuse under the sun and acting like we're somehow at fault for wanting to pay for something that isn't subpar.
    I'm not making excuses. As I've said before, the Estate has pissed me off countless times, and holding them to a reasonable standard of quality is completely justifiable. I also think it's fair to be upset that HIStory isn't getting a proper reissue treatment.

However, I think it's ridiculous to go on further anti-Estate tangents because, in the middle of a global pandemic and worldwide social unrest, they chose not to funnel funds into a project that 90% of the general population has no interest in, simply to appease the 10% who will nevertheless complain that this or that song wasn't included, even though all available evidence suggests that the available material is sparse (though I would be happy to be schooled on the subject).

I mean no disrespect. We all have a right to our opinions. I am just tired of the ridiculous angles.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

With the time it takes to put a decent anniversary edition together, they couldn’t even have known we were going to have a pandemic at the time.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 770 Posts

Like alwaysthere said we all have opinions what we like and don't like with this project following by we will always have people complaining over every single thing. remember the old saying goes. you can't not make everyone happy no matter what. why? because we all have different tastes etc.

at the end of the day i'm not pro-estate BUT i'm not anti-estate either.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NatureCriminal7896 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,489 Times in 815 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    You don't know that with any higher degree of certainty than I do.

That's my entire point -- people cry "lack of action" and "lazy" because we don't get exactly what we want, even if what we want is unrealistic. Sometimes these claims are warranted (e.g., the HIStory 25 merch, the 2016 Off the Wall reissue), but sometimes they're not.

I'm not making excuses. As I've said before, the Estate has pissed me off countless times, and holding them to a reasonable standard of quality is completely justifiable. I also think it's fair to be upset that HIStory isn't getting a proper reissue treatment.

However, I think it's ridiculous to go on further anti-Estate tangents because, in the middle of a global pandemic and worldwide social unrest, they chose not to funnel funds into a project that 90% of the general population has no interest in, simply to appease the 10% who will nevertheless complain that this or that song wasn't included, even though all available evidence suggests that the available material is sparse (though I would be happy to be schooled on the subject).

I mean no disrespect. We all have a right to our opinions. I am just tired of the ridiculous angles.
    So because some fans may have negative things to say about a project the estate should just continue selling us overpriced box sets with nothing new in them and overpriced badly designed clothes? Using the pandemic as way to try and make them look better doesn't really work, if they were working on a project it would have been started way before any of it happened. I don't really understand what you're trying to say here tbh, you started by saying that the reason they didn't release anything is because there's not enough material, and are now mentioning the pandemic. There are plenty of ways to celebrate an album without using totally unheard tracks.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothGangsta For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Some fans like the merch while some don't. let's others buy it if they want to. we can not force them to buy it and not to buy it.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothGangsta View Post
    So because some fans may have negative things to say about a project the estate should just continue selling us overpriced box sets with nothing new in them and overpriced badly designed clothes?
    Again, the issue isn't holding the Estate to a standard of quality; it's having irrational expectations and demands.

Complaining about the HIStory 25 merch? Reasonable.
    Complaining that the "wrong demos" were included on the deluxe version of Xscape? Unreasonable.

Using the pandemic as way to try and make them look better doesn't really work, if they were working on a project it would have been started way before any of it happened. I don't really understand what you're trying to say here tbh, you started by saying that the reason they didn't release anything is because there's not enough material, and are now mentioning the pandemic.
    John McClain was working on new music throughout summer/fall 2018. Then Leaving Neverland happened. Sudden, unanticipated changes to an industry and/or brand can cause schedule and program changes.

I also never said a lack of material was the definitive reason; I theorized that it may be ONE OF the reasons.

There are plenty of ways to celebrate an album without using totally unheard tracks.
    Seeing that the most consistent complaint across both this forum and social media -- even more than the merch quality -- is the lack of new music, I would argue the exact opposite.

Not to mention that the Estate has attempted to celebrate Michael's music without brand-new songs (see disc 2 of This Is It, the Immortal soundtrack, The Indispensable Collection, The Ultimate Fan Extras Collection, the deluxe tracks on Xscape, the 2016 Off the Wall reissue), only to be immediately chastised for doing so.

Again, there are aspects of each of these projects that can be rationally criticized. But there is no universe in which the Estate isn't met with backlash every time they do ANYTHING that doesn't include a myriad of new songs.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

In my opinion Xscape and Bad25 was awesome projects. I wouldn't mine them doing more things like that.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to NatureCriminal7896 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NatureCriminal7896 View Post
    In my opinion Xscape and Bad25 was awesome projects. I wouldn't mine them doing more things like that.
    Agreed! They were both fantastic, especially Bad 25!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks

I don't think I was aware of the bad25 project. In 2012 I wasn't active in an MJ community. I wasn't for thriller 25 either but somehow that project got a lot of attention. It showed in the charts I think the album got to nr 1 again in my country. I loved Xscape for a while though I only listened to the original recordings. But imo the songs used on Bad25 are overall better than those on Xscape.

It's weird but I only started looking for a place like this since LN aired, to find answers.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

yay finally who agree with me. wow. this is kind of rare. hahahaha. but yeah I loved both of them. I really hope they do more things like that in the future.