HIStory 25 [MERGED]

dethorro

Proud Member
I know that most of us lost our hopes in regards to 25th anniversary releases when the estate didn’t release anything for the anniversary of ‘Dangerous’ back in 2016.

But....MAYBE.....they will do something this year for HIStory.

-The most likely option would be the release of the ‘HIStory Tour Live In Munich’ concert, either in movie theaters or on Netflix.
One of the reasons why I believe that the estate will release this concert is because John Branca has mentioned it multiple times over the years (most recently in August 2018 at the 60th anniversary celebration in Las Vegas).
Also, the concert was shot with HD cameras and it is much easier for them to convert it to HD and release it than say a Bad Tour show.
If they ever really planned to release this show, I believe this would be the best time to do so.

Personally I wouldn’t necessarily hate such a release.The HIStory Tour is not my favorite tour and the Munich show is, at least vocally probably his worst show on that tour (or ever).
However, I would actually enjoy seeing a Michael concert at the cinema with my friends or family and I would also really love some positive articles and reviews from the media about Michael. I believe that although mostly lip-synched, such a spectacular show could bring the attention back to where it belongs: on the music and the dancing.

-A documentary is also something that could happen if an anniversary for HIStory is planned.
John Branca has said that they will do documentaries about ‘Dangerous’ and ‘HIStory’ at some point, at the 60th Birthday celebration in Vegas.
Again, this would most certainly do only good to Michael and the press would most likely give it positive reviews.
Spike Lee has done a good job in the past with the other two documentaries and it would be nice if he would do one about HIStory.
What excites me the most is new studio footage!!!

I believe that an anniversary release of this album would come best at this time, after Leaving Neverland. Just like the original album came in 1995 after the first allegations.

I don’t really have high hopes about this but I just thought I’d share my thoughts about what could happen if a release is indeed planned.

What do you guys think?

Re: HIStory 25???

An anniversary release of the album maybe. It is a good album and the songs are relevant.

I think any new Michael content would be great at this point, and I'd appreciate it and buy it. But the History Tour isn't my favorite tour of Michael's. I'd rather see an HD Triumph Tour or unreleased HD footage of the Victory Tour. Which I know is in abundance because he had that entire tour shot.

I'm actually really worried that we won't see any releases because of all the 2019-bullsh*t about mj.

I'm not enthusiast about this possible release, but it can't be worse than the "Off The Wall" one...
I hope they do something for Dangerous 30th anniversary next year

If I saw a concert in HD at the cinema I would cry, and to be honest nobody would go with me anyway.

I think any new Michael content would be great at this point, and I'd appreciate it and buy it. But the History Tour isn't my favorite tour of Michael's. I'd rather see an HD Triumph Tour or unreleased HD footage of the Victory Tour. Which I know is in abundance because he had that entire tour shot.
Not the tour but I liked the album. I agree that a release of the Triumph or Victory tour would be good.

There is hardly any demand, both from fans and the general public, for a theatrical release (or any other type of official release) of the HIStory Tour, so they are not going to do that.

John Branca mentioned that idea several times in order to get feedback, and the feedback he got was generally not positive about such a theatrical release.

Also, there is already an over saturation of the HIStory Tour with free videos circulating on the Internet, so there is nothing new about that tour that would attract people to come to the movie theatres, to pay and to watch it (so, this means it is an unprofitable release for the Estate).

Note that Michael Jackson (at that time) objected to releasing the Munich HIStory concert because he knew his performance on those two Munich concerts was not up to par, and so the Estate knows that also from an ethical point of view such a release should not be made.

Also, an anniversary release of the ‘HIStory’ album would cost a lot of money for the Estate to manufacture and release it (because it is already a double disc album plus the potential bonus material), so this is not going to happen, either.

John Branca just says publicly some things from time to time (about possible documentaries, theatrical releases, etc) because he mainly wants to get reactions, feedback, suggestions and ideas from fans/people, and not necessarily because he actually plans to proceed with the release of such potential material.

I'm not enthusiast about this possible release, but it can't be worse than the "Off The Wall" one...
I hope they do something for Dangerous 30th anniversary next year

Dangerous 30 might actually happen since Branca has confirmed that they are working on it in 2017 at the Thriller 3D screening.

dethorro;4278028 said:
-The most likely option would be the release of the ‘HIStory Tour Live In Munich’ concert, either in movie theaters or on Netflix.
One of the reasons why I believe that the estate will release this concert is because John Branca has mentioned it multiple times over the years (most recently in August 2018 at the 60th anniversary celebration in Las Vegas).

I couldn't read the rest of your post after seeing this at the start.

There is absolutely no way that will happen.

Ya.. never underestimate the powers at hand.. just believe... ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE regarding any of this.. which for me is my favorite era..

Wouldn't do anything for Michael at this point to release a concert of lip-syncing. I don't see anyone but a few die-hard fans having interest in buying it and the media would just rip it apart.

Do we Know in there are any unreleased songs that are complete enough for a release on a bonus disc? What about „Bombay Nights“? I was always very curious about that one.

mjfan_93;4278086What about „Bombay Nights“? I was always very curious about that one.[/QUOTE said:
I heard rumors bout it,
It doesn't have the lead vocals on there.

Wouldn't do anything for Michael at this point to release a concert of lip-syncing. I don't see anyone but a few die-hard fans having interest in buying it and the media would just rip it apart.

Basically this. People will laugh if a concert from the HIStory tour is released. The lip syncing is too obvious.

You know what's funny though.. even with the lip syncing.. Michael STILL BROKE HIS OWN RECORD FOR TOUR ATTENDANCE... (AGAIN). AND THAT IS WHAT NEEDS TO BE EDUCATED...

Releasing History tour would be a big mistake. Lip syncing now is looked down upon more so than ever before and the critics / media are gonna have a field day ripping apart MJ for his lip syncing. He really doesn't need any more criticism.

It's better to release tours when MJ was at his absolute best, such as the Triumph, Victory or Bad tours. Even Dangerous Tour would be fine, but please no History Tour.

Releasing a Jacksons concert (Triumph or Victory) would be appropriate since Dec 18, 2019 marked the 50th Anniversary of the J5s first album "Diana Ross Presents The jackson 5".

Dangerous 30 might actually happen since Branca has confirmed that they are working on it in 2017 at the Thriller 3D screening.
Yea & where is thriller.... that was almost 3 years ago

Releasing a Jacksons concert (Triumph or Victory) would be appropriate since Dec 18, 2019 marked the 50th Anniversary of the J5s first album "Diana Ross Presents The jackson 5".

A Jackson 5 concert would be even more appropriate

mjfan_93;4278086 said:
Do we Know in there are any unreleased songs that are complete enough for a release on a bonus disc? What about „Bombay Nights“? I was always very curious about that one.

The following songs are some of them (from the ‘HIStory’ era):

‘Face’ (or 'Faces’) is almost complete as confirmed by Brad Sundberg who also plays it in his seminars (the song only lacks the cancelled voice introduction performed by Nelson Mandela).

‘Fear’ is also almost complete.

‘Family Thing’ (also known as ‘Addams Groove’) is a complete and leaked song.

‘Much Too Soon’ (re-recorded in 1994) is another almost complete song.

There is also an almost complete song called ‘Not Guilty’ (with guest rap vocals by The Notorious B.I.G.) with a similar lyrical theme to the ‘Innocent Man’ outtake.

‘Bombay Nights’ has only music on it, and no one knows if Michael Jackson actually recorded his vocals for it.

mj_frenzy;4278065 said:
There is hardly any demand, both from fans and the general public, for a theatrical release (or any other type of official release) of the HIStory Tour, so they are not going to do that.

John Branca mentioned that idea several times in order to get feedback, and the feedback he got was generally not positive about such a theatrical release.

Also, there is already an over saturation of the HIStory Tour with free videos circulating on the Internet, so there is nothing new about that tour that would attract people to come to the movie theatres, to pay and to watch it (so, this means it is an unprofitable release for the Estate).

Note that Michael Jackson (at that time) objected to releasing the Munich HIStory concert because he knew his performance on those two Munich concerts was not up to par, and so the Estate knows that also from an ethical point of view such a release should not be made.

Also, an anniversary release of the ‘HIStory’ album would cost a lot of money for the Estate to manufacture and release it (because it is already a double disc album plus the potential bonus material), so this is not going to happen, either.

John Branca just says publicly some things from time to time (about possible documentaries, theatrical releases, etc) because he mainly wants to get reactions, feedback, suggestions and ideas from fans/people, and not necessarily because he actually plans to proceed with the release of such potential material.

Agree 100%. While it possibly has the best quality footage it is the worst tour.Too much miming to backing tracks of his younger self and not enough live vocals. not enough interaction with the audience etc. The Mj fans won't bother to watch it,so there's no reason for anybody else to. IF they release any HIStory footage it'll be quietly put on the official streaming channels.Nothing more.

Don't underestimate the Estate.

Nothing Michael-related is getting major worldwide cinema distribution. And Netflix probably won't touch him either. Not for a while.

Also, at the Diamond Celebration Q&A in August 2018 Branca agreed that the HIStory tour did not show MJ in the best light and confirmed it would not be getting any release. I don't know why this persists...

Last edited:
What I’d love to see them release is Disk 2 of HIStory as a standalone album with a nice photo booklet and a bonus DVD with all short films including making of and behind the scenes footage. :)

dethorro;4278028 said:
Also, the concert was shot with HD cameras and it is much easier for them to convert it to HD and release it than say a Bad Tour show.
If they ever really planned to release this show, I believe this would be the best time to do so.

Personally I wouldn’t necessarily hate such a release.The HIStory Tour is not my favorite tour and the Munich show is, at least vocally probably his worst show on that tour (or ever).
However, I would actually enjoy seeing a Michael concert at the cinema with my friends or family and I would also really love some positive articles and reviews from the media about Michael. I believe that although mostly lip-synched, such a spectacular show could bring the attention back to where it belongs: on the music and the dancing.
I don't think it would give positive attention. The reviews wouldn't be good because the concert is mostly lip-synced.

Nothing Michael-related is getting major worldwide cinema distribution. And Netflix probably won't touch him either. Not for a while.

Also, at the Diamond Celebration Q&A in August 2018 Branca agreed that the HIStory tour did not show MJ in the best light and confirmed it would not be getting any release. I don't know why this persists...

I'm glad that he said that, as the only comments I had seen before that seemed to suggest that it was being considered.

How about that, The estate is reasonable.

Back