The Number Ones & Essential albums.

Xeones

Proud Member
I've had these CDs for a long time. I treasure them because they was released when he was still with us, and my copies are years old now! I just have a few questions. Was Michael directly involved with these albums? Was he involved with what was on them, how and when they were released etc? And, to what extent could Michael be involved in albums like that? Boring, I know, but it's just a topic that interests me!

Last edited:
Xeones;4278358 said:
I've had these CDs for a long time. I treasure them because they was released when he was still with us, and my copies are years old now! I just have a few questions. Was Michael directly involved with these albums? What was on them, how and when they were released etc? And, to what extent could Michael be involved in albums like that? Boring, I know, but it's just a topic that interests me!

Michael Jackson was not directly involved in both of them because he had already ended prematurely his contract with Sony Music in 2002.

Also, these two greatest hits albums came out after Michael Jackson's speech against Sony Music (that took place at the Equinox nightclub on June 15th, 2002).

‘Number Ones’ was released in 2003, while ‘The Essential Michael Jackson’ was released in 2005.

The release of these two greatest hits albums was because Sony Music (having the rights from his back catalogue) legally could still continue to profit from his music by releasing such albums even after the end of the contract in 2002.

I don't think that's accurate MJ Frenzy.

While I agree he likely wouldn't have had a hand in the The Essential, which is part of a much larger series from Sony (most of their major artists have an "Essential" album), I'd be surprised if he wasn't involved in Number Ones, given it was released at the same time as The One DVD documentary and had the new 'One More Chance' song, which he was recording a music video for, before everything went down in Nov 2003.

I don't think that's accurate MJ Frenzy.

While I agree he likely wouldn't have had a hand in the The Essential, which is part of a much larger series from Sony (most of their major artists have an "Essential" album), I'd be surprised if he wasn't involved in Number Ones, given it was released at the same time as The One DVD documentary and had the new 'One More Chance' song, which he was recording a music video for, before everything went down in Nov 2003.

Yeah. Plus these photos were taken in mid- to late 2003 during the mixing/recording process of 'One More Chance':

https://twitter.com/Dethorro1/status/1200074276747055104/photo/1
https://twitter.com/Dethorro1/status/1200074284292550656/photo/1

Anyone remember the ’special’ cardboard box sleeve holder thing you could send away for with proof of purchase of the Number One albums?

Fuzball;4278432 said:
But Bruce Swedien wasn't involved with recording and mixing of One More Chance at all.

As far as I know he didn’t do the final mix but he could have been there during the recording process.

That picture is most certainly from 2003.
From what other session can it be?

Last edited:
So blatant Sneddon & co were up to no good waiting for Number Ones to be released before raiding Neverland

Back