Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryThree FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 937 Posts

Default Re: Was Michael Jackson Autistic?

I may have said this before and I’ll say it again. I pretty much doubt that Michael has autism and I should know cause I have it myself. I even tried to ask Karen Faye a couple years back on Twitter about it and never got the answer which maybe that he doesn’t actually have it.
    SUPPORTER/FAN of MICHAEL JACKSON & NARUHINA

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PoP For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

I don't understand why Michael's own fans, of all people, would want to engage in this sort of speculation. It's very tabloid to talk about someone else's possible medical conditions. We're not Michael's personal doctors, so none of us will ever be able to answer this question and it's certainly none of our business either way.

Help Staff help you. Remember:

Read the Rules. Respect other members. Report offensive posts.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entryVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Just because he was a perfetionist, shy, polite etc. I don't see why he must have been autistic or being diagnosed with something else.
    I don't want to offend anyone who deals everyday with these kind of things, but I think we are living in a era where every particular trait is considered related to a mental disorder or psychological disturb.
    We're all different and we all have different traits, this is why we can't be categorized.
    Last edited by Jackson Rules; 19-01-2020 at 11:56 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jackson Rules For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First Class3 months registered5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

I just wanna say that would matter if he was? at the end of the day Michael was still human and pretty sure one of us got something about us that makes us different. we in 2020 guys. more and more is now common to have any sort of condition. true not everyone does unless they get diagnose. heck even from my last two posts there was a lot people who didn't know had anything until they actually got tested for it.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NatureCriminal7896 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,942 Times in 852 Posts

Who can say? I'm on the spectrum myself too, but IMO I think Michael was the way he was due to losing out in his childhood, being in the spotlight from a young age, being raised a Jehovah's Witness, ect, probably a combination of factors. But I'm not an expert in psychology nor neurology or anything even though those subjects interest me. But from my perspective, I do see things that are similar to autistic traits. That's probably why I always felt I could relate to him and understand him. Maybe he read about it himself and wondered, but we'll never know.
    "Girls want to see some cake."

My Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/edog85

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainEoLove85 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Thanks so much, to all of you who have replied to this thread so far. I brought this up mainly because I live with Asperger's myself every day, so I think I know some of the signs to look for. I wasn't diagnosed myself until 2013, at the age of 33, but once that happened it provided a lot of mental clarity for me. I knew from a very young age that I was different from everyone else around me, and Michael was someone I looked up to because he thrived in spite of isolation. He had tons of fans all over the world, and yet only a very select few really knew him. I didn't raise this question to offend anyone, so I apologize if some of you feel that way. I was just trying to understand him better - that's it.
    God, guns, and guts made America; let's keep all three.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Moviefan2k4 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Another Aspie here (I'm surprised at how many of us there are on this site!) and I can see how people might see that in MJ, but the fact remains that we'll never know for sure. There's also the fact that Asperger's wasn't even an official diagnosis until 1994 (I think), and at the time when Michael was a kid, it was a lot rarer for someone to be diagnosed with autism because people didn't know as much about it; at that time, it only "counted" if the person was nonverbal or had other extreme symptoms (hitting themselves, bathroom issues, etc.), and everyone else on the spectrum was just considered "weird" or "quirky" at the time.

We'll never know how Michael would have turned out with any other life (i.e. not famous, not raised the way he was, etc.), so it's impossible to say what characteristics of his are attributed to nature vs. nurture.

All that being said, I do definitely get the sense that Michael had anxiety and related issues going on. (And who wouldn't with a life like his?)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nantucket Cat For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 264
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Level
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Was Michael Jackson Autistic?

Quote Originally Posted by Nantucket Cat View Post
    Another Aspie here (I'm surprised at how many of us there are on this site!) and I can see how people might see that in MJ, but the fact remains that we'll never know for sure. There's also the fact that Asperger's wasn't even an official diagnosis until 1994 (I think), and at the time when Michael was a kid, it was a lot rarer for someone to be diagnosed with autism because people didn't know as much about it; at that time, it only "counted" if the person was nonverbal or had other extreme symptoms (hitting themselves, bathroom issues, etc.), and everyone else on the spectrum was just considered "weird" or "quirky" at the time.

We'll never know how Michael would have turned out with any other life (i.e. not famous, not raised the way he was, etc.), so it's impossible to say what characteristics of his are attributed to nature vs. nurture.

All that being said, I do definitely get the sense that Michael had anxiety and related issues going on. (And who wouldn't with a life like his?)
    Exactly. Well said.

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryVeteranThree FriendsOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,818 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moviefan2k4 View Post
    OK, a quick disclaimer here: I am not talking about the extreme cases like cerebral palsy; we all know he wasn't a victim of that. But I have Asperger's Syndrome, and I've been thinking that Michael may have had that or something similar, judging by his attitudes and habits. The chronic insomnia, "tunnel vision" regarding his music, extreme perfectionism...all of these can be traits of a higher-functioning condition such as Asperger's. So, I'm just throwing it out there - what do you all think?
    Being a perfectionist = autism?

Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First Class3 months registered5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moviefan2k4 View Post
    Thanks so much, to all of you who have replied to this thread so far. I brought this up mainly because I live with Asperger's myself every day, so I think I know some of the signs to look for. I wasn't diagnosed myself until 2013, at the age of 33, but once that happened it provided a lot of mental clarity for me. I knew from a very young age that I was different from everyone else around me, and Michael was someone I looked up to because he thrived in spite of isolation. He had tons of fans all over the world, and yet only a very select few really knew him. I didn't raise this question to offend anyone, so I apologize if some of you feel that way. I was just trying to understand him better - that's it.

It's okay. you was just asking a question. if anyone got offend by your question they can't face the fact that michael was human and that conditions exist. it's more common now to have any kind of condition. the stigma really have to stop. i mean i been depressed all my life with other mental health issues. i always knew i was different too at a young age as well. and didn't know i had those mental health issues until i was 14 when i told my doctors. now i'm getting the help and support that i need. also just because someone has a condition doesn't mean they gonna do things the same or think the same because we all react and do things differently. we all different.

like i said we not doctors so we can't say what michael had and did not have. me and my mom (she likes him) would find really cool if he did.

god bless.

Last edited by NatureCriminal7896; 21-01-2020 at 11:06 AM.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anotherpartof MJ View Post
    That is not bad, it's a special kind of human being. 😍🤴❤
    Exactly!

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dam2040 View Post
    Being a perfectionist = autism?
    yes. someone with autism can be perfectionist too. that's apart of a stigma. don't believe it.

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryVeteranThree FriendsOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,818 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NatureCriminal7896 View Post
    yes. someone with autism can be perfectionist too. that's apart of a stigma. don't believe it.
    I'm well aware what autism is. I'm just baffled at how OP came to the conclusion that because he was a perfectionist he might be autistic.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dam2040 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Level
    Thanks

I think no one got offended. The fact is we don't know if he had that and why people are always asking if he got this or he got that? His life was so scrutinized by everyone, people always asking if he was gay, why was he white, why he did this and that. It's boring!

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DifferentKindOfLady For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

This is a hard topic to discuss, because for some people it feels like autism would be a disqualification, and for others it absolutely isn't. I think we can all agree that none of us want to speak badly about Michael here... and to me it feels like the question raised in this topic, is absolutely sincere. But I also understand, especially since Michael went through so much slander, it's a sensitive subject too.

I want to compare it to something else. I adore the paintings of Claude Monet. Really gorgeous! A few years ago, I visited an exhibition and learned that his 'blurry' style might be the result of an eyeproblem he had. He suffered from cataracts for much of his later life, during which he created his most famous works. Now to me, that's fascinating, because something that is limitating, turned out to be some sort of 'super power'. We've seen that before: Beethoven was deaf, but created his greatest compositions (and actually caused music to change from the Classical Period to the Romantic Period completely on his own) while hearing hardly anything. Stephen Hawking couldn't move – but turned out to be one of the greatest thinkers. Steve Jobs caused a revolution in technology – while battling cancer for many years... knowing his time was limited, made him super focussed. These are all cases where personal health had a huge impact on great talent.

I completely understand there is much more taboo around autism, than around bad eyesight. I also understand why that is.
    Personally, I don't think Michael Jackson was in the autism spectrum – but there was something. I always wondered why he performed Billie Jean completely identical for hundreds of times. I always wondered why he would say the same lines before he started the Motown medley on his tours ("And now I am gonna give you...") It's a bit weird that he always did that exactly the same way. On the other hand, that extreme focus is probably what made him so great. I was astounded when I watched the recordings of We Are The World. I saw this bit where Cyndi Lauper and others had to sing their bit time and again, to get it right ONCE. Michael had to sing his bit time and again too, because of them. And he's spot on. Every time. There is no mistake. There is no bad take. What he had to sing, was loaded in his brain, and it was locked... he could have sung it a thousand times. And that is a super power. And yes, it is fascinating where he got that from... and it could well be that his brain simply functioned a bit different from most of us. Could be autism, could be something else. He did great things with it, that's what counts.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piek For This Useful Post: