View Poll Results: Was MJ Autistic?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2 6.45%
  • No

    24 77.42%
  • Undecided

    5 16.13%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 43 of 43

Thread: Was Michael Jackson Autistic?

   
  1. #31
    Points: 24,255, Level: 94
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Anna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,092
    Points
    24,255
    Level
    94
    Thanks
    224
    Thanked 830 Times in 366 Posts

    Default Re: Was Michael Jackson Autistic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Piek View Post
    This is a hard topic to discuss, because for some people it feels like autism would be a disqualification, and for others it absolutely isn't. I think we can all agree that none of us want to speak badly about Michael here... and to me it feels like the question raised in this topic, is absolutely sincere. But I also understand, especially since Michael went through so much slander, it's a sensitive subject too.

    I want to compare it to something else. I adore the paintings of Claude Monet. Really gorgeous! A few years ago, I visited an exhibition and learned that his 'blurry' style might be the result of an eyeproblem he had. He suffered from cataracts for much of his later life, during which he created his most famous works. Now to me, that's fascinating, because something that is limitating, turned out to be some sort of 'super power'. We've seen that before: Beethoven was deaf, but created his greatest compositions (and actually caused music to change from the Classical Period to the Romantic Period completely on his own) while hearing hardly anything. Stephen Hawking couldn't move – but turned out to be one of the greatest thinkers. Steve Jobs caused a revolution in technology – while battling cancer for many years... knowing his time was limited, made him super focussed. These are all cases where personal health had a huge impact on great talent.

    I completely understand there is much more taboo around autism, than around bad eyesight. I also understand why that is.
    Personally, I don't think Michael Jackson was in the autism spectrum – but there was something. I always wondered why he performed Billie Jean completely identical for hundreds of times. I always wondered why he would say the same lines before he started the Motown medley on his tours ("And now I am gonna give you...") It's a bit weird that he always did that exactly the same way. On the other hand, that extreme focus is probably what made him so great. I was astounded when I watched the recordings of We Are The World. I saw this bit where Cyndi Lauper and others had to sing their bit time and again, to get it right ONCE. Michael had to sing his bit time and again too, because of them. And he's spot on. Every time. There is no mistake. There is no bad take. What he had to sing, was loaded in his brain, and it was locked... he could have sung it a thousand times. And that is a super power. And yes, it is fascinating where he got that from... and it could well be that his brain simpy functioned a bit different from most of us. Could be autism, could be something else. He did great things with it, that's what counts.
    Except we don't know Michael had autism and we never will. That's the difference. This is just pointless speculation which is unbecoming of his own fans, in my opinion. Michael gets enough of that from the media and the ignorant. It has nothing to do with the fact we're talking about autism. It would be the same if people were speculating whether Michael had any other medical condition.


    Help Staff help you. Remember:

    Read the Rules. Respect other members. Report offensive posts.


  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:


  3. #32
    Points: 1,471, Level: 21
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered
    DifferentKindOfLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    496
    Points
    1,471
    Level
    21
    Thanks
    517
    Thanked 246 Times in 168 Posts

    Default Re: Was Michael Jackson Autistic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    Except we don't know Michael had autism and we never will. That's the difference. This is just pointless speculation which is unbecoming of his own fans, in my opinion. Michael gets enough of that from the media and the ignorant. It has nothing to do with the fact we're talking about autism. It would be the same if people were speculating whether Michael had any other medical condition.
    Anna I completely agree with you. There's so much speculation around Michael and he had to live with that. Now his own fans are speculating too.

  4. #33
    Points: 5,825, Level: 49
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Moviefan2k4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    284
    Points
    5,825
    Level
    49
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 95 Times in 65 Posts

    Default Re: Was Michael Jackson Autistic?

    Quote Originally Posted by dam2040 View Post
    I'm well aware what autism is. I'm just baffled at how OP came to the conclusion that because he was a perfectionist he might be autistic.
    I was counting it as one trait among many, not exclusive to itself. People with Asperger's often have a very intense focus on a single area of interest, or maybe two. Their interest in their chosen subjects may border on obsession, at least in the eyes of observers...and that's why I brought it up.

    Take me as an example. Growing up fairly isolated, I sought comfort in films and TV shows. This casual interest soon became very focused, to where I could name almost any actor, writer, director, etc...even if I'd only seen their work a couple of times. People have suggested to me that I become a film critic, but I refused since critics don't get to choose what they review. Hollywood puts enough junk out there; I don't need any more of it in my head.

    I hope that clears things up for you a little bit.
    God, guns, and guts made America; let's keep all three.

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moviefan2k4 For This Useful Post:


  6. #34
    Points: 9,622, Level: 65
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First Class3 months registered5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    NatureCriminal7896's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,833
    Points
    9,622
    Level
    65
    Thanks
    1,142
    Thanked 579 Times in 406 Posts

    Default Re: Was Michael Jackson Autistic?

    Whatever or not Michael had autism. we can't deny the fact he was highly talented. like i said before. we've not doctors and we can't say what he had. we probably will never know for sure.



    a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

  7. #35
    Points: 1,471, Level: 21
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered
    DifferentKindOfLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    496
    Points
    1,471
    Level
    21
    Thanks
    517
    Thanked 246 Times in 168 Posts

    Default Re: Was Michael Jackson Autistic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Piek View Post
    This is a hard topic to discuss, because for some people it feels like autism would be a disqualification, and for others it absolutely isn't. I think we can all agree that none of us want to speak badly about Michael here... and to me it feels like the question raised in this topic, is absolutely sincere. But I also understand, especially since Michael went through so much slander, it's a sensitive subject too.

    I want to compare it to something else. I adore the paintings of Claude Monet. Really gorgeous! A few years ago, I visited an exhibition and learned that his 'blurry' style might be the result of an eyeproblem he had. He suffered from cataracts for much of his later life, during which he created his most famous works. Now to me, that's fascinating, because something that is limitating, turned out to be some sort of 'super power'. We've seen that before: Beethoven was deaf, but created his greatest compositions (and actually caused music to change from the Classical Period to the Romantic Period completely on his own) while hearing hardly anything. Stephen Hawking couldn't move – but turned out to be one of the greatest thinkers. Steve Jobs caused a revolution in technology – while battling cancer for many years... knowing his time was limited, made him super focussed. These are all cases where personal health had a huge impact on great talent.

    I completely understand there is much more taboo around autism, than around bad eyesight. I also understand why that is.
    Personally, I don't think Michael Jackson was in the autism spectrum – but there was something. I always wondered why he performed Billie Jean completely identical for hundreds of times. I always wondered why he would say the same lines before he started the Motown medley on his tours ("And now I am gonna give you...") It's a bit weird that he always did that exactly the same way. On the other hand, that extreme focus is probably what made him so great. I was astounded when I watched the recordings of We Are The World. I saw this bit where Cyndi Lauper and others had to sing their bit time and again, to get it right ONCE. Michael had to sing his bit time and again too, because of them. And he's spot on. Every time. There is no mistake. There is no bad take. What he had to sing, was loaded in his brain, and it was locked... he could have sung it a thousand times. And that is a super power. And yes, it is fascinating where he got that from... and it could well be that his brain simply functioned a bit different from most of us. Could be autism, could be something else. He did great things with it, that's what counts.
    Itīs not about autism being a disqualification. Itīs simply because his life was so scrutinized and in death itīs the same. Always asking why he had this and why he did that. If he had autism fine, if he hadnīt fine too! Letīs focus on the music, the man. What itīs going to be next?

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DifferentKindOfLady For This Useful Post:


  9. #36
    Points: 7,077, Level: 55
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    675
    Points
    7,077
    Level
    55
    Thanks
    277
    Thanked 953 Times in 346 Posts

    Default Re: Was Michael Jackson Autistic?

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentKindOfLady View Post
    Itīs not about autism being a disqualification. Itīs simply because his life was so scrutinized and in death itīs the same. Always asking why he had this and why he did that. If he had autism fine, if he hadnīt fine too! Letīs focus on the music, the man. What itīs going to be next?
    Thank You. I agree with EVERY word you posted. I can’t believe fans would even start a thread like this. Whose business is it anyway? Why do we or anyone else think that we should know every minute detail of this man’s personal life? FTR, I do NOT think that Michael was autistic.

    Btw, I thought that there was a rule on this forum that certain things about Michael or his children should not be speculated, discussed or implied. Again, thank you for your post, I agree with you 💯.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to somewhereinthedark For This Useful Post:


  11. #37
    Points: 12,231, Level: 72
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Mikky Dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,992
    Points
    12,231
    Level
    72
    Thanks
    3,683
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 911 Posts

    Default Re: Was Michael Jackson Autistic?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoP View Post
    I may have said this before and I’ll say it again. I pretty much doubt that Michael has autism and I should know cause I have it myself. I even tried to ask Karen Faye a couple years back on Twitter about it and never got the answer which maybe that he doesn’t actually have it.
    Autism presents itself in so many ways, though, because there is a spectrum of tendencies, behaviours, etc. along which various individuals sit. One person diagnosed with autism can be completely different with regard to their personality, the way they live their life, their strengths, weaknesses, talents and so on, compared to another person diagnosed with autism. With some people, it's almost impossible to tell, because they function at an extremely high level. Having autism oneself doesn't necessarily mean that one can tell when another person has it.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikky Dee For This Useful Post:


  13. #38
    Points: 12,231, Level: 72
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Mikky Dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,992
    Points
    12,231
    Level
    72
    Thanks
    3,683
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 911 Posts

    Default Re: Was Michael Jackson Autistic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    Except we don't know Michael had autism and we never will. That's the difference. This is just pointless speculation which is unbecoming of his own fans, in my opinion.
    Well, this is a discussion forum, where people discuss their opinions and thoughts on a topic or a question and then other people respond to that. Of course, we don't KNOW.....that's why it's a discussion. Of course it's speculation......most discussions regarding the life, character and talents of an icon....especially one as complex as Michael, will involve speculation. It should definitely be possible for intelligent and respectful discussions to take place between mature adults in a safe environment....even when the topic is not an easy one to think about. It's a simple matter to just not participate in the thread, for members who find that it's not their cup of tea.

  14. #39
    Points: 12,231, Level: 72
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Mikky Dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,992
    Points
    12,231
    Level
    72
    Thanks
    3,683
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 911 Posts

    Default Re: Was Michael Jackson Autistic?

    Quote Originally Posted by dam2040 View Post
    I'm well aware what autism is. I'm just baffled at how OP came to the conclusion that because he was a perfectionist he might be autistic.
    It's not like this: perfectionism = autism

    Autism is often linked with a very high level of perfectionism......there is a sense of being "driven" to perfectionism, without having any real control over it. Michael's urge to create and his inability to sleep because of it could have been a sign of this unstoppable drive. There are things that are an absolute MUST for some people with ASD - like the need for structure, order, repetition...elements of compulsiveness linked with their actions and reactions. There is often the presence of a genius level of skill or intelligence in specific, targeted areas (painting, playing a musical instrument, mathematics, puzzles, dance, etc.) coupled sometimes with complete ineptitude in other areas, such as organisation of their own environment, understanding of money, social skills, use of mechanical equipment.

  15. #40
    Points: 1,471, Level: 21
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered
    DifferentKindOfLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    496
    Points
    1,471
    Level
    21
    Thanks
    517
    Thanked 246 Times in 168 Posts

    Default Re: Was Michael Jackson Autistic?

    Quote Originally Posted by somewhereinthedark View Post

    Thank You. I agree with EVERY word you posted. I can’t believe fans would even start a thread like this. Whose business is it anyway? Why do we or anyone else think that we should know every minute detail of this man’s personal life? FTR, I do NOT think that Michael was autistic.

    Btw, I thought that there was a rule on this forum that certain things about Michael or his children should not be speculated, discussed or implied. Again, thank you for your post, I agree with you ��.
    Thank you for your feedback
    I agree with you. Thereīs so much going on surrounding MJ and itīs always been like this. Itīs boring!
    I think a discussion is always healthy but there are certain things that I find hard to accept. Itīs not about autism, itīs about all of this speculation around him. Imagine MJīs face if he saw his fans discussing delicate matters about him? He probably would say: "I had the tabloids making up things about me, discussing my life... And now my fans too?"

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to DifferentKindOfLady For This Useful Post:


  17. #41
    Points: 24,255, Level: 94
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Anna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,092
    Points
    24,255
    Level
    94
    Thanks
    224
    Thanked 830 Times in 366 Posts

    Default Re: Was Michael Jackson Autistic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikky Dee View Post
    Well, this is a discussion forum, where people discuss their opinions and thoughts on a topic or a question and then other people respond to that. Of course, we don't KNOW.....that's why it's a discussion. Of course it's speculation......most discussions regarding the life, character and talents of an icon....especially one as complex as Michael, will involve speculation. It should definitely be possible for intelligent and respectful discussions to take place between mature adults in a safe environment....even when the topic is not an easy one to think about. It's a simple matter to just not participate in the thread, for members who find that it's not their cup of tea.
    Pretty sure no one here would like it if they found out that people who loved them were discussing online whether or not they might have whatever medical condition. Yet it's okay for fans to do it to Michael? Why? Especially after everything he went through. It's so disrespectful. This is a fan forum, not the comment section of TMZ. We should have limits.


    Help Staff help you. Remember:

    Read the Rules. Respect other members. Report offensive posts.


  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:


  19. #42
    Points: 7,077, Level: 55
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    675
    Points
    7,077
    Level
    55
    Thanks
    277
    Thanked 953 Times in 346 Posts

    Default Re: Was Michael Jackson Autistic?

    Quote Originally Posted by anna View Post
    pretty sure no one here would like it if they found out that people who loved them were discussing online whether or not they might have whatever medical condition. Yet it's okay for fans to do it to michael? Why? Especially after everything he went through. It's so disrespectful. This is a fan forum, not the comment section of tmz. We should have limits.
    thank you'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  20. #43
    Points: 55,098, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entryTagger Second ClassVeteranOverdrive

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    His last Photo Shoot.
    Posts
    7,156
    Points
    55,098
    Level
    100
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    12,716
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,049 Posts

    Default Re: Was Michael Jackson Autistic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thriller_MJ View Post
    I'm undecided if Michael had autism. I am an autistic adult and i can't really see any traits of it in Michael. I think he is a classic case of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, he ticks a lot of boxes for that.

    Mmhmm agree .

    I think he had elements of PTSD and very bad anxiety and , as much as i love michael , Ok i love you michael with all my heart, god bless you - I simply think he was stubborn i do not think you could tell m what to do for better or worse.

    I am a child of the Moon , Being raised by the Sun, In an earth filled with Pain , With a sky full of Hope.

    RIP Dearest M. Thank You For My Childhood Memories. ILY.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •