Thread: Was Michael Jackson Autistic?

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Default Was Michael Jackson Autistic?

OK, a quick disclaimer here: I am not talking about the extreme cases like cerebral palsy; we all know he wasn't a victim of that. But I have Asperger's Syndrome, and I've been thinking that Michael may have had that or something similar, judging by his attitudes and habits. The chronic insomnia, "tunnel vision" regarding his music, extreme perfectionism...all of these can be traits of a higher-functioning condition such as Asperger's. So, I'm just throwing it out there - what do you all think?
    God, guns, and guts made America; let's keep all three.

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 258
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,870 Times in 904 Posts

Default Re: Was Michael Jackson Autistic?

Quote Originally Posted by Moviefan2k4 View Post
    OK, a quick disclaimer here: I am not talking about the extreme cases like cerebral palsy; we all know he wasn't a victim of that. But I have Asperger's Syndrome, and I've been thinking that Michael may have had that or something similar, judging by his attitudes and habits. The chronic insomnia, "tunnel vision" regarding his music, extreme perfectionism...all of these can be traits of a higher-functioning condition such as Asperger's. So, I'm just throwing it out there - what do you all think?
    I work with high school students who have disabilities and disorders; many of them have been diagnosed with ASD, as part of their overall makeup. I have felt for a long time that Michael may have been somewhere on the spectrum, for some of the reasons that you mention here. Unfortunately, every time I have wanted to talk about it and explain why I think it's possible and support it with my background knowledge, experience and training in this area, people have been "offended" by it (on behalf of Michael, I suppose) and have tried to shoot me down.....accusing me of wanting to "label" him, etc.

There is still a certain amount of stigma attached to the concept of autism....people on the spectrum are misunderstood and misjudged and that attitude needs to end.

Thank you for raising this question. It'll be interesting to see how the discussion plays out, over time. Let's hope there is respect and understanding, as well as clarity.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mikky Dee For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

What?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to M.J. Content For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First Class3 months registered5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

You are not the only one who thinks this. there are fans who thinks he was. chances are he probably was and never got diagnose for it. it wouldn't make him any different he was. because he already had vitiligo and lupus. though. it could been just his bad childhood, the media, and being a superstar. we will never know for sure because one he not with us anymore and never got diagnose. two we really shouldn't diagnose anyone with anything because we are not doctors. there's really no way we can diagnose Michael only by his actions. but like i said we are not doctors. chances are Michael probably was. but remember this different time. these type of diagnoses wasn't really talk about until the early 90's. many people in the past was autistic and didn't know until later in their life. thank god nowadays more and more people are getting tested for it. but i think it cool is that even if people was autistic during those times they didn't know and half them lend to very successful lives.

so if Michael was autistic that's really neat. goes to show you Michael was very beautiful person on this earth and why his legacy most definitely needs to be recognize more. i have a little cousin who is mildly autistic and he can read and in the 5 grade now. he shy at sometimes. doctors said he may grow out of it but they not sure yet. he wrote a poem to our grandmother that pass away 9 months ago at her funeral out loud. (bless her and him.)

if Michael was autistic i will also find i really neat that my mother loves someone who had all of these and love him very much. that really goes to show you that you can fall in love with someone with or out conditions at all. i find that very adorable and very very cool. it's the person personally that matters.

it gonna end this by saying once again we can't not diagnose Michael because we not doctors and he not with us anymore. BUT the world is always changing chances doctors MAY can diagnose him and other famous people who was on this earth (or still alive.)
    Last edited by NatureCriminal7896; 19-01-2020 at 04:51 AM.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First Class3 months registered5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

I may a thread like this before and got a lot of hate. it really goes to show you fan really only like Michael for only his looks and talent. really goes to show you how socially really is. i'm glad this things are being think about more rather people like it or not because conditions exists and none of us safe form them even superstars.

https://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...ghlight=mental

i wonder would people still like Michael if he was would fans like him. it's really make mother and me mad that people also hated on him saying he didn't wanna be black just because his disease vitiligo

like really people? this things with diseases has got to stop this is not 50's,60's 70's 80's and 90's anymore. we all either catch something or live with something. what buttholes. i know if Michael was alive he would very disappointed of his fans because he had a disease and help sick people and kids and everything. sickos.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

i notice all the comments saying he did share a lot of the traits. so we don't know for sure because we are not doctors but it possible he probably did and never got diagnose for it.

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I think he was. That is not bad, it's a special kind of human being. 😍🤴❤

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anotherpartof MJ For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

There is no evidence at all that supports that Michael Jackson had the Asperger syndrome, or, that he was autistic in general.

There have been only speculations from some people who believe that.

Besides, Michael Jackson was never diagnosed with the Asperger syndrome, or, with autism.

About the Asperger syndrome specifically, one of the very common symptoms of that syndrome is awkwardness in social interactions, and Michael Jackson did not exhibit such a symptom in his social life (on the contrary, his social perception was remarkably good).

Another very common symptom of the Asperger syndrome is the sole pursuit of a narrow topic of interest.

But Michael Jackson’s topics of interest even since he was a child/teenager were not narrow, but numerous and very broad (music, films, business ventures, etc).

Also, an extreme perfectionism is not necessarily related to the Asperger syndrome.

Michael Jackson did not also suffer from speech incoherence, which is another very typical symptom of that syndrome.

Some people believe that he had that syndrome mainly because of his apparent social shyness, but his ex-wife Lisa Marie Presley has already clarified that by revealing that his apparent social shyness was a deliberate act on his part rather than a result of a mental condition.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mj_frenzy For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

how do you know? you no doctor frenzy. actually none of us are. so none of us really can't say.

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I'm undecided if Michael had autism. I am an autistic adult and i can't really see any traits of it in Michael. I think he is a classic case of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, he ticks a lot of boxes for that.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thriller_MJ For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience PointsThree Friends1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

Interesting thread and question Moviefan2k4!

According to a retired psychologist he didn’t have autism:

https://www.quora.com/Did-Michael-Ja...?no_redirect=1

And in my opinion she is right. Michael was never nervous when performing, for example. He stated multiple times during his lifetime that he felt the most comfortable on stage

Quote Originally Posted by NatureCriminal7896 View Post
    how do you know? you no doctor frenzy. actually none of us are. so none of us really can't say.
    While mj_frenzy probably isn’t a doctor, he just stated multiple reasons why MJ couldn’t have had autism.
    You can’t say someone has a disease just because we can’t prove that he doesn’t have it. It doesn’t work that way.
    It’s just like saying MJ was guilty because you weren’t in the room and you cannot prove 100% that he wasn’t.
    See what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller_MJ View Post
    I'm undecided if Michael had autism. I am an autistic adult and i can't really see any traits of it in Michael. I think he is a classic case of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, he ticks a lot of boxes for that.
    Interesting.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dethorro For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Level
    Thanks

Is this thread serious?! Why people are always discussing these kind of thing related to MJ? Always asking if he had this or he had that?!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DifferentKindOfLady For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 953 Posts

I highly doubt it. If he had any mental disorder I'd say it was OCD, which has its similarities to autism.

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moviefan2k4 View Post
    I have also been thinking that for quite some time. I read a book about it in 2010 and it seemed really clear to me. I wrote it on twitter but received so much critisism that I removed the tweet but it was just my opinion. The movie nerd Bigi also has his sense for details.
    Last edited by La74; 19-01-2020 at 05:48 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to La74 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 264
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NatureCriminal7896 View Post
    Well, I wouldn't say none..but I completely agree with what you said, that we can't really give arm chair diagnoses just based on observations from a distance. With that said, I tend to agree with mj_frenzy on this one. From my experience with patients, it doesn't seem to me that Michael exhibited the common signs of Asperger's that we usually see. But as was pointed out, it's a spectrum, so we can never really say for sure.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to MoeJack For This Useful Post: