This day in history: Bad Tour Los Angeles 1989, January 27th.

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
On this date in history MJ closed out his legendary first solo tour “The Bad Tour” with the last of 5 sold out shows at the Memorial Sports Arena in Los Angeles 1989.

The tour became the second highest grossing tour of the 80s. Spanning 16 months including 123 concerts to 4,4 million fans across 15 countries. The Bad tour earned Michael two entries in the Guinness book of world records for the largest grossing tour in history and the tour with the largest attended audience.

f7922bc8be805ba0b4aba07ff347511f.jpg

7c249a9a3c60838b4133894348c0d846.jpg

Michael-Jackson-BAD-tour-bad-tour-1987-1989-20057660-1200-867.jpg

Last edited:
Will never, ever get released because of Safechuck being there.

I hate to say it but you're probably not far wrong here mate. Maybe they could just cut that section of Bad out of the release, I know I wouldn't miss it
It would be such a shame to never see an amazing show or any other show from the tour

Love the first image by the way Themidwestcowboy. Great choice, I don't think I've ever seen that one before

As long as (if) they release it at least in true DVD quality, I don't care if they cut that part out.

Doesn't matter. The negative press surrounding the release, especially if he's cut out (just imagine it) isn't worth it, for something that especially won't sell well.

MJ Estate don't need to give reasons for negative publicity, especially when media are trying so hard to make anything stick.

They could just edit it out. The actual song ends before it so they can easily do it.

I really hope they release the concert at some point. I found this clip on Youtube:

Last edited:
Whatever. there's a higher chance of this being leaked online than being officially released lmao

Whatever. there's a higher chance of this being leaked online than being officially released lmao

I think this might be the concert they would release when they release another Bad Tour concert. The quality is good and some say that it was planned to be released at the time. I hope they still have the master tape. This or one of the New York concerts would be great.

Last edited:
Galactus123;4280429 said:
I think this might be the concert they would release when they release another Bad Tour concert. The quality is good and some say that it was planned to be released at the time. I hope they still have the master tape. This or one of the New York concerts would be great.

In case of a future release, they do not really need to have the original master tapes of that final Los Angeles BAD concert, or the original master tapes of any other New York BAD concert.

As long as they have the VHS tape of the concert (taken from Michael Jackson’s own personal video collection), then they can very easily do the same thing that they did some years ago with the release of the 1988 Wembley BAD concert.

For the release of the 1988 Wembley BAD concert they cooperated with a specialized team of engineers (that also effectively recovers footage for NASA), and that team can improve drastically the quality from VHS tapes.

Since then, the Estate has remained in touch with that team for possible, future collaborations/releases.

But keep in mind that the Estate has already made it clear that it does not plan to release a second BAD concert.

mj_frenzy;4280437 said:
In case of a future release, they do not really need to have the original master tapes of that final Los Angeles BAD concert, or the original master tapes of any other New York BAD concert.

As long as they have the VHS tape of the concert (taken from Michael Jackson’s own personal video collection), then they can very easily do the same thing that they did some years ago with the release of the 1988 Wembley BAD concert.

For the release of the 1988 Wembley BAD concert they cooperated with a specialized team of engineers (that also effectively recovers footage for NASA), and that team can improve drastically the quality from VHS tapes.

Since then, the Estate has remained in touch with that team for possible, future collaborations/releases.

But keep in mind that the Estate has already made it clear that it does not plan to release a second BAD concert.

A) I hope not - they did an awful job on Wembley
B) It's not acceptable to release a VHS in 2020 and charge full price for it.

Wembley only worked because they had the 5.1 audio.

mj_frenzy;4280437 said:

Of course they don't need the master tape but it would be great. Its likely that they still have it. The footage that was used in The One (2004) documentary looks good.

Of course they don't need the master tape but it would be great. Its likely that they still have it. The footage that was used in The One (2004) documentary looks good.

I don't know how true it is, but apparently after the Neverland raids Michael's storage essentially went to crap and wasn't maintained. The One was obviously just before the raids in 2003, so whoever it was in charge had access to good material.

Kind of incredible that the BAD tour was Jackson's first solo tour. You'd think he would have embarked on a solo tour already in 1983 after the huge success of Thriller. Anyone know why that is? Could it be because of contractual obligations to the Jackson 5 that he wasn't allowed to do that?

Kind of incredible that the BAD tour was Jackson's first solo tour. You'd think he would have embarked on a solo tour already in 1983 after the huge success of Thriller. Anyone know why that is? Could it be because of contractual obligations to the Jackson 5 that he wasn't allowed to do that?

The Victory Tour occurred, instead of a Thriller Tour....he was definitely obligated, contractually. Some mess his father got him into, no doubt, considering Don King was involved and it was a shambles, from an organisational and PR point of view.

Wow yes. After your post I just read some of the background story on Wikipedia and what a mess indeed. I had to go watch some tour footage afterwards and from the looks of it, the Victory tour almost seems to qualify as a Michael Jackson solo tour anyways. His brothers effectively just being back-up singers for many of the songs and Michael being in the spotlight with his own seperate gimmicks, stage presence and charisma. It must have been a weird tour for both parties with this splitting between them basically happening on stage every night. it would have been the best for both camps if Michael had gone out on a solo tour for sure.

Wow yes. After your post I just read some of the background story on Wikipedia and what a mess indeed. I had to go watch some tour footage afterwards and from the looks of it, the Victory tour almost seems to qualify as a Michael Jackson solo tour anyways. His brothers effectively just being back-up singers for many of the songs and Michael being in the spotlight with his own seperate gimmicks, stage presence and charisma. It must have been a weird tour for both parties with this splitting between them basically happening on stage every night. it would have been the best for both camps if Michael had gone out on a solo tour for sure.
Kmsl....that would not be helping them if he went solo on a tour....2300 jackson st did NOT have a tour

He’s not wrong though, the Victory Tour was a Jackson’s Tour, but Michael was the main star. Even a news broadcast I saw, “30 years later Jacksonville,” mentioned “the Victory Tour by Michael Jackson.”

This is the way it had been ever since the Destiny Tour. Nothing unsusal for a Jacksons tour.

I believe they can easily give us a concert in at least this quality:

Bad89-LA-000319.jpg

Bad89-LA-000725.jpg

Bad89-LA-003358.jpg

But we're just not going to get any. Very disappointing with the Estate already.

Back