'This Is It' - The Dancing

threatened2020

Proud Member
Right, now I know this was a rehearsal.

But how do you all think MJ was doing with his dancing? Do you think any of the smooth Bad/Dangerous/History tour moves would have still been there, or do you think it would mainly robotic and short movements?

At one point in 'Beat It' when he was jumping with the dancers he looked to me as though he had hurt his knee, and at multiple times he seemed to be compressing his hands . I assume this was down to arthritis or some type of lupus flare up?

Discuss :clap:

I think the dance was good but I'm no expert. In my opinion he was tired and I can see that in his face. I think the tour would had many concerts cancelled.

His legs looked weak at times, especially when trying the 'side moonwalk'. Smooth Criminal is the only song in the movie in my eyes where he moved really well. Nailed the Beat It dance too.

But, it was a rehearsal.

His legs looked weak at times, especially when trying the 'side moonwalk'. Smooth Criminal is the only song in the movie in my eyes where he moved really well. Nailed the Beat It dance too.

But, it was a rehearsal.

The side moonwalk didn't look good in the movie but he can be seen doing it better in the DVD documentaries:

At 1:33.

Michael Jackson was not just tired during his ‘This Is It’ rehearsals.

Even worse, he was in constant physical pain, and in order to boost his dance moves they (AEG Live) put him also on ephedrine the entire time during those rehearsals.

You can see, for example, his acute physical pain which was even also visible on his face in the middle, break dance of the ‘Jam’ rehearsals.

Moreover, his legs looked certainly weak at times, judging also by the fact that at one point at the end of ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’ he was so unable to even walk properly that his female backup dancer helps him to walk down stairs.

From those rehearsals generally, the only time that Michael Jackson revived some of his past magic as a dancer was during the last minute of ‘Smooth Criminal’ when he moves and dances so effortlessly and in almost exactly the same way as he did in his previous tours (on that part of that song’s performance).

mj_frenzy;4280608 said:

Even worse, he was in constant physical pain, and in order to boost his dance moves they (AEG Live) put him also on ephedrine the entire time during those rehearsals.

You can see, for example, his acute physical pain which was even also visible on his face in the middle, break dance of the ‘Jam’ rehearsals.

Moreover, his legs looked certainly weak at times, judging also by the fact that at one point at the end of ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’ he was so unable to even walk that his female backup dancer helps him to walk down stairs.

From those rehearsals generally, the only time that Michael Jackson revived some of his past magic as a dancer was during the last minute of ‘Smooth Criminal’ when he moves and dances so effortlessly and in almost exactly the same way as he did in his previous tours (on that part of that song’s performance).

Pretty sure that was part of the act. The song would end with Michael and the backup dancer walking off stage with their arms around each other.

Things obviously weren't all sunshine and roses during TII, but I feel some fans are grasping at straws with statements like this.

mj_frenzy;4280608 said:

Moreover, his legs looked certainly weak at times, judging also by the fact that at one point at the end of ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’ he was so unable to even walk properly that his female backup dancer helps him to walk down stairs.

Let me guess MJ was also weak and unable to get up by himself during Man In The Mirror in the dangerous tour when Michael Bush helped him up to his feet after the spins? Lol knock it off.

Last edited:
I don’t think rehearsals are a great indicator of MJ’s actual capabilities at the time. Rehearsals are not performances.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EU32aImy3yA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ScreenOrigami;4280615 said:
I don&#8217;t think rehearsals are a great indicator of MJ&#8217;s actual capabilities at the time. Rehearsals are not performances.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EU32aImy3yA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's true but you have to put it in context though. This Is It were comprised of many rehearsals, dress rehearsal included, over the span of many months. So it was not just a singular rehearsal day. There are rehearsals from other tours were MJ was giving it his all (e.g Dangerous Tour Rehearsals). Seeing MJ in that state during various rehearsal dates was a bit alarming imo.

Themidwestcowboy;4280616 said:
That's true but you have to put it in context though. This Is It were comprised of many rehearsals, dress rehearsal included, over the span of many months. So it was not just a singular rehearsal day. There are rehearsals from other tours were MJ was giving it his all (e.g Dangerous Tour Rehearsals). Seeing MJ in that state during various rehearsal dates was a bit alarming imo.

That&#8217;s true. But my personal impression is that those Dangerous rehearsals you mention, particularly the Black or White rehearsal where he kicks the microphone stand, are more an exception than the rule. Also, he was quite a bit younger and wilder back then. ;)

mj_frenzy;4280608 said:

That was definitely part of the act. It had nothing to do with him being unable to walk. Plus it's from the orange pants day, so you can see in the other numbers as well that he was pretty energetic overall and could definitely walk.

On a side note I really want to see the full June 23rd rehearsal because I'm curious to see a more complete version of the show. I don't get why they didn't include 'I Just Can't Stop Loving You' from that day and gave us the first rehearsal of it instead.
The 'Billie Jean' rehearsal is also the first one according to Judith Hill. She has also stated that Michael performed it a number of times despite what some fans believe.

Last edited:
The 'Billie Jean' rehearsal is also the first one according to Judith Hill. She has also stated that Michael performed it a number of times despite what some fans believe.
Travis Payne says in the video I posted that the Billie Jean rehearsal seen in the movie was the last one of that song.

Travis Payne says in the video I posted that the Billie Jean rehearsal seen in the movie was the last one of that song.

He doesn't say it that way though. He says that the last time he performed it, it was unique and different and that the dancers who were watching him went crazy.
That would have happened multiple times for sure....not just at one rehearsal (the one shown in the movie). So it doesn't mean that the footage shown is that last rehearsal that Travis talks about.
If you look at the blue shirt rehearsal, you notice that it was one of the early rehearsals at the Forum (since the LED screen was not even built yet) and I can't believe that he never performed it again after that early rehearsal.
Also, June 23rd was the day on which it seems like they ran through the whole show. Why wouldn't they have performed ''Billie Jean''? They still had to figure out all the small details with the spotlight and the suitcase.

Do you think he did the Billie Jean dance different that day for fear of not feeling physically up to do doing it the way he used to?
I cannot comprehend the amount of pressure he must have been under just to ensure his dancing was spot on for peoples expectations...let alone the live singing aspect of it.

I think he was on fire during the film. I agree Smooth Criminal looked awesome.

He did much less on the Dangerous Tour rehearsals. Compared to that This Is It was much more energetic.

Do you think he did the Billie Jean dance different that day for fear of not feeling physically up to do doing it the way he used to.
I think he just wanted to do something new and it was only rehearsals.

Pretty sure that was part of the act. The song would end with Michael and the backup dancer walking off stage with their arms around each other.

Things obviously weren't all sunshine and roses during TII, but I feel some fans are grasping at straws with statements like this.

I'm pretty sure this was said in emails, that he needed to be helped down, I don't understand why they would make that up but I guess they could have.

mj_frenzy;4280608 said:

Well, the fact he didn’t have any REM sleep in many weeks because he was only getting rest when Murray gave him his “milk” and duchebag Kline was feeding him Demerol how the hell could he dance let alone function. Sorry to say but our man was not in any shape to preform at his usual level.

I agree with you guys that he wasn't performing at his usual level, but maybe he wanted to put an emphasis on his singing, rather than dancing?! Never before has he had so many dancers with him on stage as on This Is It. Maybe he just wanted to to a few moves and let the young dancers do their grooves. Just saying...

Right, now I know this was a rehearsal.

But how do you all think MJ was doing with his dancing? Do you think any of the smooth Bad/Dangerous/History tour moves would have still been there, or do you think it would mainly robotic and short movements?

At one point in 'Beat It' when he was jumping with the dancers he looked to me as though he had hurt his knee, and at multiple times he seemed to be compressing his hands . I assume this was down to arthritis or some type of lupus flare up?

Discuss :clap:

I was surprised, all the way through TII, at just how WELL he was dancing, considering it was REHEARSALS and he was fifty years old, with some arthritis and lung damage from auto-immune disease. Looking at other rehearsal footage, such as the Dangerous rehearsals, for example, I find very little difference between the two, in terms of his skill, energy level and commitment.

I agree with you guys that he wasn't performing at his usual level, but maybe he wanted to put an emphasis on his singing, rather than dancing?! Never before has he had so many dancers with him on stage as on This Is It. Maybe he just wanted to to a few moves and let the young dancers do their grooves. Just saying...

He wasn't performing at his usual level because it was a rehearsal.

It was great seeing m rehearse
didnt like billie jean nope,
Loved drill ...Smooth criminal.
.. i miss him

For me This Is It wasn't about showing Michael the entertainer, it was about showing Michael the creator.

Had MJ died in 1992 - and all we got to see was the Dangerous Rehearsals people would say he was not able to dance, no energy, he just walked around the stage, forgot lyrics etc. etc... - Then look at the final result. Dangerous is SO full of energy and perfect dancing.

This Is It does not show MJ performing... It shows his ideas (like analogue said - his visions and his creativity) - had MJ been able to perform 1 full concert I have no doubt what so ever MJ would have soo much energy and dance perfectly.

This Is It showed MJ still had it. - Just sad he never got a chance to show it to the world with full set, full costumes, full energy. - All the MJ-factor was still there.

Gosh, watching the This is it rehearsal against this older Smooth Criminal reversal its hard to believe they're even the same person! Its kind of mind blowing...

Had MJ died in 1992 - and all we got to see was the Dangerous Rehearsals people would say he was not able to dance, no energy, he just walked around the stage, forgot lyrics etc. etc... - Then look at the final result. Dangerous is SO full of energy and perfect dancing.

This Is It does not show MJ performing... It shows his ideas (like analogue said - his visions and his creativity) - had MJ been able to perform 1 full concert I have no doubt what so ever MJ would have soo much energy and dance perfectly.

This Is It showed MJ still had it. - Just sad he never got a chance to show it to the world with full set, full costumes, full energy. - All the MJ-factor was still there.

Flawed comparison. This Is It was comprised by over 100 hours of rehearsal footage from many rehearsal days, and the Dangerous rehearsal you are referring to was only from one day. Btw the dangerous rehearsals had just as much, if not even more energy on some songs, as the concerts. You also have to keep in mind that This Is It was heavily edited.

These are just as good performances as in the concerts, some even better. I hardly think anyone would say "he was not able to dance" had this been released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEZ8i4BjHZg

Last edited:
My point was just that you can not really compare a rehearsal with an actual concert - MJ never performed 100% at rehearsals.

This Is It had energy, great live vocals (I know some are edited, but many are not) and great dancing - especially for a rehearsal.

I have no doubt that had MJ got the chance to give an actual concert it would be mindblowing - great dancing and great energy.

Back