Royal Brunei 1996 Bad Tour Version

dethorro

Proud Member
MJBeats posted a rare picture of a rehearsal for the Royal Brunei show and MJ is wearing the Bad Tour outfit:

https://twitter.com/Dethorro1/status/1224711459785056256/photo/1

The original set list was supposed to be:

01. Jam
02. Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’
03. Another Part Of Me
04. Human Nature
05. Smooth Criminal
06. I Just Cant Stop Loving You
07. She’s Out Of My Life
08. Jackson 5 Medley
(I Want You Back, The Love You Save, I’ll Be There)
09. Rock With You
10. Dirty Diana
11. Thriller
12. Billie Jean
13. Beat It
14. You Are Not Alone
15. Dangerous
16. Black Or White
17. Heal The World
18. The Way You Make Me Feel
19. Bad
20. Man In The Mirror
21. Earth Song

I find very interesting that Michael is wearing that hat because it reminds me of something Janet would wear during the ''Rhythm Nation'' era.

This is not from the Brunei Rehearsals,
This pic it was took by Nicola Goode from the "1987", I personally don't think it's from 87, the pic should be from the firsts 90's. But for sure it's not from Brunei rehearsals.

That hat, isn't it the Munich 1992 hat? That he wore during BAD?

dethorro;4280883 said:
MJBeats posted a rare picture of a rehearsal for the Royal Brunei show and MJ is wearing the Bad Tour outfit:

https://twitter.com/Dethorro1/status/1224711459785056256/photo/1

The original set list was supposed to be:

01. Jam
02. Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’
03. Another Part Of Me
04. Human Nature
05. Smooth Criminal
06. I Just Cant Stop Loving You
07. She’s Out Of My Life
08. Jackson 5 Medley
(I Want You Back, The Love You Save, I’ll Be There)
09. Rock With You
10. Dirty Diana
11. Thriller
12. Billie Jean
13. Beat It
14. You Are Not Alone
15. Dangerous
16. Black Or White
17. Heal The World
18. The Way You Make Me Feel
19. Bad
20. Man In The Mirror
21. Earth Song

I find very interesting that Michael is wearing that hat because it reminds me of something Janet would wear during the ''Rhythm Nation'' era.

The original set list of the 1996 Royal Brunei concert was not a combination of the BAD Tour and the Dangerous Tour as this set list suggests.

Michael Jackson originally wanted to use that 1996 Royal Brunei concert as a smooth transition from the Dangerous Tour to the HIStory Tour.

So, he originally planned that 1996 Royal Brunei concert with that in his mind, meaning it had to be a Dangerous Tour concert with few, new HIStory Tour additions like, ‘You Are Not Alone’ or ‘Earth Song'.

Besides, he thought that it would be a regressive move to bring back a big part of the BAD Tour (in terms of songs, costumes, etc) in the 1996 Royal Brunei concert.

On that photo Michaels face looks perfectly 1996 (shade of his skin, nose, hair etc).

And that jacket doesn't really look like a stage outfit with the high collar. More like one of the many jackets he wore in public between concerts etc. Bush did so many jackets for him that often were inspired by Michaels previous iconic looks.

Besides, he thought that it would be a regressive move to bring back a big part of the BAD Tour (in terms of songs, costumes, etc) in the 1996 Royal Brunei concert.

Are you mixing up "he" and "I" again?
How would Michael even come to think about bringing back "a big part of the BAD tour" in 1996?

Last edited:
That setlist looks way too long for a typical Michael Jackson concert.

Stefano MJS;4280886 said:
This is not from the Brunei Rehearsals,
This pic it was took by Nicola Goode from the "1987", I personally don't think it's from 87, the pic should be from the firsts 90's. But for sure it's not from Brunei rehearsals.

From a French website:

“Nicola Goode est une photographe de Los Angeles dont le travail s'expose dans toutes les galeries des Etats-Unis. En 1987, elle est engagée pour prendre des clichés des coulisses d'un projet de Michael Jackson qui n'est finalement jamais sorti. Lors d'une pause, elle prend une photo de Michael signant un autographe sur le plateau.”

Google Translate: “Nicola Goode is a Los Angeles photographer whose work is exhibited in all galleries in the United States. In 1987, she was hired to take backstage shots of a Michael Jackson project that was never released. During a break, she takes a photo of Michael signing an autograph on the set.”

http://www.onmjfootsteps.com/archives/2015/11/06/32888307.html

Their version of the photo shows more of the background.

107360353_o.jpg

Looks more like a movie set, photo studio, or theater to me than backstage at a show rehearsal. I agree it doesn’t really look like 1987.

mj_frenzy;4280921 said:
The original set list of the 1996 Royal Brunei concert was not a combination of the BAD Tour and the Dangerous Tour as this set list suggests.

Michael Jackson originally wanted to use that 1996 Royal Brunei concert as a smooth transition from the Dangerous Tour to the HIStory Tour.

So, he originally planned that 1996 Royal Brunei concert with that in his mind, meaning it had to be a Dangerous Tour concert with few, new HIStory Tour additions like, ‘You Are Not Alone’ or ‘Earth Song'.

Must have been amazing for you to be around MJ and have his opinion on all of these different topics.

ScreenOrigami;4280938 said:
Looks more like a movie set, photo studio, or theater to me than backstage at a show rehearsal. I agree it doesn’t really look like 1987.

True.

The photo is probably from 1997, and the photographer or the people selling that photo fixed the decade, to attach a bit MJ 80s magic to it. I guess Michael Bush and/or Karen Faye could have more info. Anyone tried asking them on Twitter?

Im more concerned on what this project was & where is the film footage!

Im more concerned on what this project was & where is the film footage!

Like the "1987", "unreleased project" could be fantasized as well, to make the photo more interesting.

The headset microphone does make it indeed look backstage... to whatever.
It wouldn't be really necessary for a photo or video shoot. Hmm... a HIStory concert?

Last edited:
Electro;4281159 said:
Like the "1987", "unreleased project" could be fantasized as well, to make the photo more interesting.

The headset microphone does make it indeed look backstage... to whatever.
It wouldn't be really necessary for a photo or video shoot. Hmm... a HIStory concert?

Maybe it’s from a History Tour Rehearsal day?

No. I think it´s fake. It is just a ´very well-made´ photoshop: Michaels face is from any DANGEROUS-Tour performance (look at his make-up, and he is wearing a microphone from that time), the jacket is clear BAD-era, the hat just any fantasy. What makes it looking ´real´ are maybe the hands and the autograph. But in my opinion nothing matches with any reality.

FlyMeToTheMoon;4281185 said:
No. I think it´s fake. It is just a ´very well-made´ photoshop: Michaels face is from any DANGEROUS-Tour performance (look at his make-up, and he is wearing a microphone from that time), the jacket is clear BAD-era, the hat just any fantasy. What makes it looking ´real´ are maybe the hands and the autograph. But in my opinion nothing matches with any reality.

Dude? It can perfectly be from a rehearsal.

I don't think it's edited or fake.

Looks real to me. Could very well be from a rehearsal.

Just asked the question to Karen and Taj on Twitter......... I know this picture for years and always wondered :)

Thijzzz;4281230 said:
Just asked the question to Karen and Taj on Twitter......... I know this picture for years and always wondered :)

:)Ok, I´m open to learn. I´m looking forward to their answer.

mj_frenzy;4280921 said:

mj_frenzy

I'm not sure if your a troll or just have your own opinions on Michael. if these are facts please tell us were you get your info. thank you very much. no harm at all.

NatureCriminal7896;4281235 said:
mj_frenzy

I'm not sure if your a troll or just have your own opinions on Michael. if these are facts please tell us were you get your info. thank you very much. no harm at all.

He won't reply to things like this. I don't think he counts as a troll, he's just too full of himself beyond repair (to care about properly sharing information, distinguishable from personal interpretation).

So I googled a little regarding this...

Apparently there really was the idea to have a BAD / DANGEROUS fusion type of set for that royal concert (for the 50th birthday of the Sultan of Brunei, who allegedly paid Michael 17m for that one-off concert, about 2 months before the HIStory tour started.)

There's a mention here:
https://michael-jackson.fandom.com/wiki/Royal_Concert

"In October 2015, it was revealed that the Royal Concert was originally supposed to resemble both the Bad and Dangerous World Tours with Jackson wearing costumes and performing songs from both tours including "Another Part of Me", "Rock with You", "Dirty Diana", "Heal the World" and "Bad". However, the original concept was scrapped after a meeting between Jackson and Kenny Ortega prior to preparation for the concert in which it was decided that Jackson would do a Dangerous Tour-style performance instead."

No source is given there... but googling a little further... it seems to be based on an alleged "leak" of an email (or facebook post?) by Peggy Holmes (Michaels tour assistant director) from 2015. I only found this portuguese translation here:

https://mjbeats.com.br/michael-jackson-e-o-renascimento-da-bad-world-tour-em-1996-f12c9879c72
“Oi pessoal! Eu também trabalhei na setlist com o MJ para a versão Bad do concerto [Royal Concert em Brunei 96], MJ estava muito ansioso para voltar a essa “era”, mas dias antes da preparação do concerto, Michael teve uma reunião com Kenny Ortega [diretor da Dangerous Tour, HIStory Tour e This Is It] sobre isso, no que acabou mudando a decisão de Michael, a set list e o set-up [figurinos, arranjos, efeitos, etc] e acabaram decidindo que seria ao estilo Dangerous Tour. Infelizmente, porque nós sempre curtimos a Bad Tour e para Michael essa turnê foi lendária. Mesmo assim, Brunei 96 foi um grande concerto’’.

Translated back to english:
"Hi guys! I also worked on the setlist with MJ for the Bad version of the concert [Royal Concert in Brunei 96], MJ was very anxious to go back to that “era”, but days before the concert was set up, Michael had a meeting with Kenny Ortega [ director of Dangerous Tour, HIStory Tour and This Is It] about that, which ended up changing Michael's decision, the set list and the set-up [costumes, arrangements, effects, etc.] and ended up deciding it would be the Dangerous Tour style . Unfortunately, because we always enjoy the Bad Tour and for Michael this tour was legendary. Still, Brunei 96 was a great concert ’’.

So if there is any truth to it, it could be that it was initially suggested / requested by the Sultan to have such a Bad / Dangerous mix concert. And Michael at first was up for it / wanted to do it for the Sultan, but then, after going into details / feasibility with Kenny, changed his mind.

In any case, the song BAD doesn't seem to have been rehearsed. But that doesn't rule out that the new photo of this thread somehow has a backstage / rehearsal connection to that Brunei concert anyway.

If plans were really changed only shortly before the concert, then all the BAD style costumes probably were ready made and available in Michaels wardrobe for that concert. So he maybe just had fun wearing them backstage.

In that light also the "unreleased project" remark by the photographer would make sense to some degree. She just got the year wrong.

Last edited:
Electro;4281300 said:
In that light also the "unreleased project" remark my the photographer would make sense to some degree. She just got the year wrong.

Maybe the photographer found the photo in their archive and retroactively dated it back to 1987 by accident, because they looked up when the “Bad” tour began?

Don’t know why people doubt the pic - it’s clearly real

MJ has headset on also. Such an intriguing picture

Would have loved to see Bad and dangerous shows smashed together in one

ScreenOrigami;4281305 said:
Maybe the photographer found the photo in their archive and retroactively dated it back to 1987 by accident, because they looked up when the “Bad” tour began?

That's possible.

dam2040;4281307 said:
Would have loved to see Bad and dangerous shows smashed together in one

That would of been interesting.

Comparing his sideburns with this pic i can conclude that this photo for 1 is not rare because ive seen this before... & its definitely not anything before 95. His hair texture changed drastically after 1993 & his side burns werent the same between 93 & 96 especially after that "haircut" im not even sure if he got it cut. Just wore a wig...because i cant remember the order of songs from history but it definitely "grew back" like crazy within a year lol
2a50ff81ef2fd155f969069192d3a5b4.jpg
7d1ce7a7408611fb841ae646c2edf653.jpg

196a59cc83c4b043d9c3b6407e2ffbd4.jpg
f894a4ac7dc2c58fed1ef4e19c3ef2f3.jpg
5c08496a1e3ebab1be1f4d249c01a4a7.jpg

These 2 photos were definitely in the same year
65c1cd5d180630d30479357553c19e06.jpg

Last edited:
ScreenOrigami;4281305 said:

If she herself came up with the date, it's still a little strange though. She got to photograph MICHAEL JACKSON in BRUNEI and gets the decade wrong?
But I guess it depends on how long she worked for Michael (not over a decade I guess?), how much of a Michael geek she was (it takes a bit to make the BAD connection with this photo) and how much she actually knew about what was planned / going on.

wonderouzmj;4281457 said:
its definitely not anything before 95.
65c1cd5d180630d30479357553c19e06.jpg

Not sure what you mean... going by the sideburns, the Bad-Jacket photo can perfectly be 1996.

Michael about two months later in Prague:

hqdefault.jpg

As a man I can tell you that those sideburns grow like beard within a week or two, if they are not shaved. :)
They certainly are not part of a wig / hair piece Michael might have worn at that time.

Last edited:
Back