Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 184

Thread: Detailed list of unreleased songs that could be released

   
  1. #61
    Points: 7,142, Level: 55
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    wonderouzmj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    882
    Points
    7,142
    Level
    55
    Thanks
    241
    Thanked 580 Times in 268 Posts

    Default Re: Detailed list of unreleased songs that could be released

    Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    Even when Michael Durham Prince is addressing material that he himself recorded with Michael Jackson, his word does not always have weight.

    I will give a very characteristic example:

    In one of his interviews (few years ago), he could not remember the third song that he himself worked on along with Michael Jackson at the Bel Air Hotel.

    During those sessions at the hotel, Michael Jackson re-recorded his vocals for three songs, with the help of Michael Durham Prince, but the producer in that interview could remember only the two of them (‘Best Of Joy’ and ‘I Was A Loser’).

    About Joseph Vogel, he also wrote, some years ago, that the three Cascio tracks (‘Breaking News’, ‘Keep Your Head Up’, and ‘Monster’) have the authentic Michael Jackson’s vocals on them.

    Joseph Vogel also wrote that the ‘BAD’ album sessions began in late 1986, when in actual reality those sessions began on January 5th (1987) as confirmed also by Bruce Swedien who was physically there.

    And I can assure you that there are also more examples which prove that Joseph Vogel has been wrong or inaccurate about certain things concerning Michael Jackson's music.

    So, Joseph Vogel’s statements generally should not be taken for granted.



    I do not frame things in such a way that it defies the reality of the situation.

    My phrasing here does not imply that the remaining 90% of material from the ‘BAD’ sessions exists in a releasable state, because I referred to recorded material in general.





    In 1987, there were not ‘A-Team’ and ‘B-Team’, because members from both teams joined forces and created one team that was working on many songs (including the eleven ones that were included on the album).

    Christopher Currell, for example, who initially started as a member of the ‘B-Team’ was closely working throughout 1987 (and until the album’s release) with Quincy Jones who came from the ‘A-Team’.
    Bad was shot in November pf 86 so how on earth could the sessions start in January of 87 & released by August of 87 with a break of 4years? No!

  2. #62
    Points: 2,831, Level: 32
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Fuzball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    207
    Points
    2,831
    Level
    32
    Thanks
    157
    Thanked 132 Times in 73 Posts

    Default Re: Detailed list of unreleased songs that could be released

    01/05/87 was just the official kick-off date.

  3. #63
    Points: 2,219, Level: 28
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience PointsThree Friends1 year registered

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    198
    Points
    2,219
    Level
    28
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 240 Times in 103 Posts

    Default Re: Detailed list of unreleased songs that could be released

    Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post

    Joseph Vogel also wrote that the ‘BAD’ album sessions began in late 1986, when in actual reality those sessions began on January 5th (1987) as confirmed also by Bruce Swedien who was physically there.
    With all due respect, that's just wrong.

    The sessions officially started at Westlake Studios on August 4th 1986 as reported by Rolling Stone magazine in 1987.
    The January 5th date is simply the date they put on every release of the album, for some reason. It is probably the date on which the the 2nd part of the sessions commenced after the Christmas break.
    The date on the Dangerous album is also wrong (June 25th 1990). The sessions had officially started almost a year before that date (even though technically they were working on Decade not Dangerous at the time).

    Oh and btw songs like Bad, Liberian Girl (and probably even Smooth Criminal) were definitely recorded in 1986. You can look at the track sheets if you don't believe me.

  4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dethorro For This Useful Post:


  5. #64
    Points: 11,630, Level: 70
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    SmoothCriminal1995's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    1,373
    Points
    11,630
    Level
    70
    Thanks
    5,513
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 673 Posts

    Default Re: Detailed list of unreleased songs that could be released

    Thanks everyone for sharing. I'd love to know more about the Bad sessions, they seem like such a productive and happy time in Mike's life. I'd love to know when songs were recorded and finished, stuff like that. The Beatles fans are so lucky

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothCriminal1995 For This Useful Post:


  7. #65
    Points: 6,284, Level: 51
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    249
    Points
    6,284
    Level
    51
    Thanks
    488
    Thanked 398 Times in 135 Posts

    Default Re: Detailed list of unreleased songs that could be released

    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothGangsta View Post
    Monster is one that really interests me, from the descriptions I've heard it's pretty good although incomplete
    It's

    1. Completely different than the fake trash we received on the Michael album

    2. A phenomenal production that is quite literally unlike anything we've ever heard even to date. Had MJ of finished this one, the critics would have been speechless. When Michael mentioned on Access Hollywood in 2006 that he was putting sounds under the microscope.....he wasn't lying. Monster is a prime example of this.

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to travis3000 For This Useful Post:


  9. #66
    Points: 6,284, Level: 51
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    249
    Points
    6,284
    Level
    51
    Thanks
    488
    Thanked 398 Times in 135 Posts

    Default Re: Detailed list of unreleased songs that could be released

    Quote Originally Posted by dethorro View Post
    As far as I know, Michael only recorded the chorus of ''Monster'' right?

    Can you give us some information regarding ''Rocker'' and ''Adore You''?
    What do these songs sound like?
    Is ''Adore You'' similar to ''Will You Be There'' (as Brad Buxer has stated)?

    The version I've heard of Monster only had a chorus and KILLER production. It was an incredible track, and unfortunately unfinished.

    Adore You reminds me of Will You Be There. Uplifting, magical, romantic.

    Rocker is a hard rock song, this is another one that is unlike anything MJ ever recorded. I can't even give you a song that I've heard from other artists which might be similar. Rocker is edgy, hard, aggressive, and unfortunately is also unfinished.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travis3000 For This Useful Post:


  11. #67
    Points: 11,630, Level: 70
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    SmoothCriminal1995's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    1,373
    Points
    11,630
    Level
    70
    Thanks
    5,513
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 673 Posts

    Default Re: Detailed list of unreleased songs that could be released

    Quote Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
    It's

    1. Completely different than the fake trash we received on the Michael album

    2. A phenomenal production that is quite literally unlike anything we've ever heard even to date. Had MJ of finished this one, the critics would have been speechless. When Michael mentioned on Access Hollywood in 2006 that he was putting sounds under the microscope.....he wasn't lying. Monster is a prime example of this.
    Sounds amazing mate, thanks for your insight on the unreleased stuff
    Yourself and AlwaysThere are the two people I look out for most when it comes to unreleased music

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmoothCriminal1995 For This Useful Post:


  13. #68
    Points: 31,354, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sweden (Sverige)
    Posts
    5,004
    Points
    31,354
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    6,158
    Thanked 4,667 Times in 1,905 Posts

    Default Re: Detailed list of unreleased songs that could be released

    Quote Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
    It's

    1. Completely different than the fake trash we received on the Michael album

    2. A phenomenal production that is quite literally unlike anything we've ever heard even to date. Had MJ of finished this one, the critics would have been speechless. When Michael mentioned on Access Hollywood in 2006 that he was putting sounds under the microscope.....he wasn't lying. Monster is a prime example of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
    The version I've heard of Monster only had a chorus and KILLER production. It was an incredible track, and unfortunately unfinished.

    Adore You reminds me of Will You Be There. Uplifting, magical, romantic.

    Rocker is a hard rock song, this is another one that is unlike anything MJ ever recorded. I can't even give you a song that I've heard from other artists which might be similar. Rocker is edgy, hard, aggressive, and unfortunately is also unfinished.
    Man this makes me sad. From what you're describing MJ was making the some of the most interesting music in his career. I have one question though. how is the vocal performance on these tracks? Especially the harder ones? Is it more reminiscent of Invincible or earlier than that?

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Themidwestcowboy For This Useful Post:


  15. #69
    Points: 7,093, Level: 55
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    91
    Points
    7,093
    Level
    55
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 45 Times in 25 Posts

    Default Re: Detailed list of unreleased songs that could be released

    Quote Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
    The version I've heard of Monster only had a chorus and KILLER production. It was an incredible track, and unfortunately unfinished.

    Adore You reminds me of Will You Be There. Uplifting, magical, romantic.

    Rocker is a hard rock song, this is another one that is unlike anything MJ ever recorded. I can't even give you a song that I've heard from other artists which might be similar. Rocker is edgy, hard, aggressive, and unfortunately is also unfinished.
    Oh wow. Sounds like MJ was truly working on amazing stuff in his final years. Are the two Songs you mentioned (Adore You and Rocker) vocally complete? Do they have a releasable vocal take or are the just early demos with potential. If there are musically unfinished a producer can finish them but if there aren‘t proper vocals I dont think we will ever hear them

  16. #70
    Points: 11,630, Level: 70
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    SmoothCriminal1995's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    1,373
    Points
    11,630
    Level
    70
    Thanks
    5,513
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 673 Posts

    Default Re: Detailed list of unreleased songs that could be released

    Quote Originally Posted by Themidwestcowboy View Post
    Man this makes me sad. From what you're describing MJ was making the some of the most interesting music in his career. I have one question though. how is the vocal performance on these tracks? Especially the harder ones? Is it more reminiscent of Invincible or earlier than that?
    Thank you for asking this my friend. I've wanted to know this for years as well

  17. #71
    Points: 9,574, Level: 65
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    mj_frenzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,419
    Points
    9,574
    Level
    65
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 738 Times in 407 Posts

    Default Re: Detailed list of unreleased songs that could be released

    Quote Originally Posted by wonderouzmj View Post
    Bad was shot in November pf 86 so how on earth could the sessions start in January of 87 & released by August of 87 with a break of 4years? No!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzball View Post
    01/05/87 was just the official kick-off date.
    Quote Originally Posted by dethorro View Post
    With all due respect, that's just wrong.

    The sessions officially started at Westlake Studios on August 4th 1986 as reported by Rolling Stone magazine in 1987.
    The January 5th date is simply the date they put on every release of the album, for some reason. It is probably the date on which the the 2nd part of the sessions commenced after the Christmas break.

    The date on the Dangerous album is also wrong (June 25th 1990). The sessions had officially started almost a year before that date (even though technically they were working on Decade not Dangerous at the time).

    Oh and btw songs like Bad, Liberian Girl (and probably even Smooth Criminal) were definitely recorded in 1986. You can look at the track sheets if you don't believe me.
    Just because the ‘BAD’ song was recorded in 1986, this does not mean that the ‘BAD’ album sessions began in 1986.

    Bruce Swedien is pretty clear that the album sessions began in 1987 (January):

    …The year is 1987. Quincy, Michael and I are comfortably ensconced in Westlake Audio’s beautiful new Studio D, on Santa Monica Boulevard in Los Angeles, recording Michael’s new solo album Bad. The first session on the Bad album was done on Monday January 5, 1987. Westlake Audio had very recently installed a brand-new, quite large Harrison MR-2 desk of 56 inputs in their lovely new Studio D. For the time, 56 inputs was an extremely large mixing desk…” (Bruce Swedien, ‘In the Studio with Michael Jackson’ book)

    That particular first day of the ‘BAD’ album sessions was a memorable moment for Bruce Swedien (also because of his big desire to use the recently installed Harrison MR-2 mixing desk of 56 inputs), so he could not be wrong about that.

    Magazines or some authors that were not there can claim anything (like, that the album sessions began in 1986), this does not mean that it is necessarily true.

    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal1995 View Post
    Thanks everyone for sharing. I'd love to know more about the Bad sessions, they seem like such a productive and happy time in Mike's life. I'd love to know when songs were recorded and finished, stuff like that. The Beatles fans are so lucky
    ‘I Just Can't Stop Loving You’, ‘Leave Me Alone’, ‘Dirty Diana’, ‘Just Good Friends’ were recorded and finished in June (1987), while ‘Man In The Mirror’ was recorded and finished in March (1987).

  18. #72
    Points: 2,219, Level: 28
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience PointsThree Friends1 year registered

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    198
    Points
    2,219
    Level
    28
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 240 Times in 103 Posts

    Default Re: Detailed list of unreleased songs that could be released

    Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    Just because the ‘BAD’ song was recorded in 1986, this does not mean that the ‘BAD’ album sessions began in 1986.

    Bruce Swedien is pretty clear that the album sessions began in 1987 (January):

    …The year is 1987. Quincy, Michael and I are comfortably ensconced in Westlake Audio’s beautiful new Studio D, on Santa Monica Boulevard in Los Angeles, recording Michael’s new solo album Bad. The first session on the Bad album was done on Monday January 5, 1987. Westlake Audio had very recently installed a brand-new, quite large Harrison MR-2 desk of 56 inputs in their lovely new Studio D. For the time, 56 inputs was an extremely large mixing desk…” (Bruce Swedien, ‘In the Studio with Michael Jackson’ book)

    That particular first day of the ‘BAD’ album sessions was a memorable moment for Bruce Swedien (also because of his big desire to use the recently installed Harrison MR-2 mixing desk of 56 inputs), so he could not be wrong about that.

    Magazines or some authors that were not there can claim anything (like, that the album sessions began in 1986), this does not mean that it is necessarily true.
    So I guess it's impossible that Bruce is wrong.

    Christopher Currell was also there and this is what he had to say about the Bad sessions:

    ''Michael’s album project was to be recorded at Westlake Recording Studios in Studio D. Westlake is located at Santa Monica Blvd. in West Hollywood, California. The day prior to officially starting the album, I had Michael’s Synclavier brought into the studio. The main tower was set up in a small room just outside the control room. The keyboard and terminal were set up in the control room. This was to be the Synclavier’s permanent home for the next 12 months.''

    He says for the next 12 months, which makes perfect sense if the sessions started in August 1986 since the album was released in August 1987.

    I also don't think that you can dismiss the fact that the dates on the multitrack sheets of some of the songs on Bad say 1986.

    Liberian Girl:
    Lead vocal: September 26th 1986
    Background vocals: October 3rd 1986

    I Just Can't Stop Loving You:
    Background vocals: December 27th 1986
    Piano: December 26th 1986

    Smooth Criminal:
    Background vocals:September 14th 1986
    Bass:September 8th 1986

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to dethorro For This Useful Post:


  20. #73
    Points: 9,574, Level: 65
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    mj_frenzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,419
    Points
    9,574
    Level
    65
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 738 Times in 407 Posts

    Default Re: Detailed list of unreleased songs that could be released

    Quote Originally Posted by dethorro View Post
    So I guess it's impossible that Bruce is wrong.

    Christopher Currell was also there and this is what he had to say about the Bad sessions:

    ''Michael’s album project was to be recorded at Westlake Recording Studios in Studio D. Westlake is located at Santa Monica Blvd. in West Hollywood, California. The day prior to officially starting the album, I had Michael’s Synclavier brought into the studio. The main tower was set up in a small room just outside the control room. The keyboard and terminal were set up in the control room. This was to be the Synclavier’s permanent home for the next 12 months.''

    He says for the next 12 months, which makes perfect sense if the sessions started in August 1986 since the album was released in August 1987.

    I also don't think that you can dismiss the fact that the dates on the multitrack sheets of some of the songs on Bad say 1986.

    Liberian Girl:
    Lead vocal: September 26th 1986
    Background vocals: October 3rd 1986

    I Just Can't Stop Loving You:
    Background vocals: December 27th 1986
    Piano: December 26th 1986

    Smooth Criminal:
    Background vocals:September 14th 1986
    Bass:September 8th 1986
    No, it does not make perfect sense.

    When Christopher Currell said that thing (“home for the next 12 months”) the date of the ‘BAD’ album was still unknown to everyone, even to Michael Jackson.

    And that type of statement (“home for the next 12 months”) looks more like a statement that one makes at the beginning of a year, especially if they initially planned a 1987 Christmas release of the ‘BAD’ album.

  21. #74
    Points: 9,574, Level: 65
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    mj_frenzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,419
    Points
    9,574
    Level
    65
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 738 Times in 407 Posts

    Default Re: Detailed list of unreleased songs that could be released

    Quote Originally Posted by dethorro View Post
    So I guess it's impossible that Bruce is wrong.

    Christopher Currell was also there and this is what he had to say about the Bad sessions:

    ''Michael’s album project was to be recorded at Westlake Recording Studios in Studio D. Westlake is located at Santa Monica Blvd. in West Hollywood, California. The day prior to officially starting the album, I had Michael’s Synclavier brought into the studio. The main tower was set up in a small room just outside the control room. The keyboard and terminal were set up in the control room. This was to be the Synclavier’s permanent home for the next 12 months.''

    He says for the next 12 months, which makes perfect sense if the sessions started in August 1986 since the album was released in August 1987.

    I also don't think that you can dismiss the fact that the dates on the multitrack sheets of some of the songs on Bad say 1986.

    Liberian Girl:
    Lead vocal: September 26th 1986
    Background vocals: October 3rd 1986

    I Just Can't Stop Loving You:
    Background vocals: December 27th 1986
    Piano: December 26th 1986

    Smooth Criminal:
    Background vocals:September 14th 1986
    Bass:September 8th 1986
    No, it does not make perfect sense.

    When Christopher Currell said that thing (“home for the next 12 months”) the date of the official release of the ‘BAD’ album was still unknown to everyone involved, even to Michael Jackson.

    And that type of statement (“home for the next 12 months”) looks more like a statement that one makes at the beginning of a year, especially if they initially planned a 1987 Christmas release of the ‘BAD’ album.

  22. #75
    Points: 2,219, Level: 28
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience PointsThree Friends1 year registered

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    198
    Points
    2,219
    Level
    28
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 240 Times in 103 Posts

    Default Re: Detailed list of unreleased songs that could be released

    Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    No, it does not make perfect sense.

    When Christopher Currell said that thing (“home for the next 12 months”) the date of the official release of the ‘BAD’ album was still unknown to everyone involved, even to Michael Jackson.
    Christopher Currell wrote that in a blog in 2015, not during the time they were working on Bad.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •