Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Detailed list of unreleased songs that could be released

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    Even when Michael Durham Prince is addressing material that he himself recorded with Michael Jackson, his word does not always have weight.

I will give a very characteristic example:

In one of his interviews (few years ago), he could not remember the third song that he himself worked on along with Michael Jackson at the Bel Air Hotel.

During those sessions at the hotel, Michael Jackson re-recorded his vocals for three songs, with the help of Michael Durham Prince, but the producer in that interview could remember only the two of them (‘Best Of Joy’ and ‘I Was A Loser’).

About Joseph Vogel, he also wrote, some years ago, that the three Cascio tracks (‘Breaking News’, ‘Keep Your Head Up’, and ‘Monster’) have the authentic Michael Jackson’s vocals on them.

Joseph Vogel also wrote that the ‘BAD’ album sessions began in late 1986, when in actual reality those sessions began on January 5th (1987) as confirmed also by Bruce Swedien who was physically there.

And I can assure you that there are also more examples which prove that Joseph Vogel has been wrong or inaccurate about certain things concerning Michael Jackson's music.

So, Joseph Vogel’s statements generally should not be taken for granted.

I do not frame things in such a way that it defies the reality of the situation.

My phrasing here does not imply that the remaining 90% of material from the ‘BAD’ sessions exists in a releasable state, because I referred to recorded material in general.

In 1987, there were not ‘A-Team’ and ‘B-Team’, because members from both teams joined forces and created one team that was working on many songs (including the eleven ones that were included on the album).

Christopher Currell, for example, who initially started as a member of the ‘B-Team’ was closely working throughout 1987 (and until the album’s release) with Quincy Jones who came from the ‘A-Team’.
    Bad was shot in November pf 86 so how on earth could the sessions start in January of 87 & released by August of 87 with a break of 4years? No!

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

01/05/87 was just the official kick-off date.

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience PointsThree Friends1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

Joseph Vogel also wrote that the ‘BAD’ album sessions began in late 1986, when in actual reality those sessions began on January 5th (1987) as confirmed also by Bruce Swedien who was physically there.
    With all due respect, that's just wrong.

The sessions officially started at Westlake Studios on August 4th 1986 as reported by Rolling Stone magazine in 1987.
    The January 5th date is simply the date they put on every release of the album, for some reason. It is probably the date on which the the 2nd part of the sessions commenced after the Christmas break.
    The date on the Dangerous album is also wrong (June 25th 1990). The sessions had officially started almost a year before that date (even though technically they were working on Decade not Dangerous at the time).

Oh and btw songs like Bad, Liberian Girl (and probably even Smooth Criminal) were definitely recorded in 1986. You can look at the track sheets if you don't believe me.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dethorro For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 673 Posts

Thanks everyone for sharing. I'd love to know more about the Bad sessions, they seem like such a productive and happy time in Mike's life. I'd love to know when songs were recorded and finished, stuff like that. The Beatles fans are so lucky

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothCriminal1995 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothGangsta View Post
    Monster is one that really interests me, from the descriptions I've heard it's pretty good although incomplete
    It's

1. Completely different than the fake trash we received on the Michael album

2. A phenomenal production that is quite literally unlike anything we've ever heard even to date. Had MJ of finished this one, the critics would have been speechless. When Michael mentioned on Access Hollywood in 2006 that he was putting sounds under the microscope.....he wasn't lying. Monster is a prime example of this.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to travis3000 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dethorro View Post
    As far as I know, Michael only recorded the chorus of ''Monster'' right?

Can you give us some information regarding ''Rocker'' and ''Adore You''?
    What do these songs sound like?
    Is ''Adore You'' similar to ''Will You Be There'' (as Brad Buxer has stated)?

The version I've heard of Monster only had a chorus and KILLER production. It was an incredible track, and unfortunately unfinished.

Adore You reminds me of Will You Be There. Uplifting, magical, romantic.

Rocker is a hard rock song, this is another one that is unlike anything MJ ever recorded. I can't even give you a song that I've heard from other artists which might be similar. Rocker is edgy, hard, aggressive, and unfortunately is also unfinished.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travis3000 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
    It's

2. A phenomenal production that is quite literally unlike anything we've ever heard even to date. Had MJ of finished this one, the critics would have been speechless. When Michael mentioned on Access Hollywood in 2006 that he was putting sounds under the microscope.....he wasn't lying. Monster is a prime example of this.
    Sounds amazing mate, thanks for your insight on the unreleased stuff
    Yourself and AlwaysThere are the two people I look out for most when it comes to unreleased music

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmoothCriminal1995 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,667 Times in 1,905 Posts

It's

The version I've heard of Monster only had a chorus and KILLER production. It was an incredible track, and unfortunately unfinished.

Rocker is a hard rock song, this is another one that is unlike anything MJ ever recorded. I can't even give you a song that I've heard from other artists which might be similar. Rocker is edgy, hard, aggressive, and unfortunately is also unfinished.
    Man this makes me sad. From what you're describing MJ was making the some of the most interesting music in his career. I have one question though. how is the vocal performance on these tracks? Especially the harder ones? Is it more reminiscent of Invincible or earlier than that?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Themidwestcowboy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Level
    Thanks

Oh wow. Sounds like MJ was truly working on amazing stuff in his final years. Are the two Songs you mentioned (Adore You and Rocker) vocally complete? Do they have a releasable vocal take or are the just early demos with potential. If there are musically unfinished a producer can finish them but if there aren‘t proper vocals I dont think we will ever hear them

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Themidwestcowboy View Post
    Man this makes me sad. From what you're describing MJ was making the some of the most interesting music in his career. I have one question though. how is the vocal performance on these tracks? Especially the harder ones? Is it more reminiscent of Invincible or earlier than that?
    Thank you for asking this my friend. I've wanted to know this for years as well

Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wonderouzmj View Post
    Bad was shot in November pf 86 so how on earth could the sessions start in January of 87 & released by August of 87 with a break of 4years? No!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzball View Post
    01/05/87 was just the official kick-off date.
    With all due respect, that's just wrong.

The sessions officially started at Westlake Studios on August 4th 1986 as reported by Rolling Stone magazine in 1987.
    The January 5th date is simply the date they put on every release of the album, for some reason. It is probably the date on which the the 2nd part of the sessions commenced after the Christmas break.

The date on the Dangerous album is also wrong (June 25th 1990). The sessions had officially started almost a year before that date (even though technically they were working on Decade not Dangerous at the time).

Oh and btw songs like Bad, Liberian Girl (and probably even Smooth Criminal) were definitely recorded in 1986. You can look at the track sheets if you don't believe me.
    Just because the ‘BAD’ song was recorded in 1986, this does not mean that the ‘BAD’ album sessions began in 1986.

Bruce Swedien is pretty clear that the album sessions began in 1987 (January):

…The year is 1987. Quincy, Michael and I are comfortably ensconced in Westlake Audio’s beautiful new Studio D, on Santa Monica Boulevard in Los Angeles, recording Michael’s new solo album Bad. The first session on the Bad album was done on Monday January 5, 1987. Westlake Audio had very recently installed a brand-new, quite large Harrison MR-2 desk of 56 inputs in their lovely new Studio D. For the time, 56 inputs was an extremely large mixing desk…” (Bruce Swedien, ‘In the Studio with Michael Jackson’ book)

That particular first day of the ‘BAD’ album sessions was a memorable moment for Bruce Swedien (also because of his big desire to use the recently installed Harrison MR-2 mixing desk of 56 inputs), so he could not be wrong about that.

Magazines or some authors that were not there can claim anything (like, that the album sessions began in 1986), this does not mean that it is necessarily true.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal1995 View Post
    Thanks everyone for sharing. I'd love to know more about the Bad sessions, they seem like such a productive and happy time in Mike's life. I'd love to know when songs were recorded and finished, stuff like that. The Beatles fans are so lucky
    ‘I Just Can't Stop Loving You’, ‘Leave Me Alone’, ‘Dirty Diana’, ‘Just Good Friends’ were recorded and finished in June (1987), while ‘Man In The Mirror’ was recorded and finished in March (1987).

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Just because the ‘BAD’ song was recorded in 1986, this does not mean that the ‘BAD’ album sessions began in 1986.

Bruce Swedien is pretty clear that the album sessions began in 1987 (January):

…The year is 1987. Quincy, Michael and I are comfortably ensconced in Westlake Audio’s beautiful new Studio D, on Santa Monica Boulevard in Los Angeles, recording Michael’s new solo album Bad. The first session on the Bad album was done on Monday January 5, 1987. Westlake Audio had very recently installed a brand-new, quite large Harrison MR-2 desk of 56 inputs in their lovely new Studio D. For the time, 56 inputs was an extremely large mixing desk…” (Bruce Swedien, ‘In the Studio with Michael Jackson’ book)

That particular first day of the ‘BAD’ album sessions was a memorable moment for Bruce Swedien (also because of his big desire to use the recently installed Harrison MR-2 mixing desk of 56 inputs), so he could not be wrong about that.

Magazines or some authors that were not there can claim anything (like, that the album sessions began in 1986), this does not mean that it is necessarily true.
    So I guess it's impossible that Bruce is wrong.

Christopher Currell was also there and this is what he had to say about the Bad sessions:

''Michael’s album project was to be recorded at Westlake Recording Studios in Studio D. Westlake is located at Santa Monica Blvd. in West Hollywood, California. The day prior to officially starting the album, I had Michael’s Synclavier brought into the studio. The main tower was set up in a small room just outside the control room. The keyboard and terminal were set up in the control room. This was to be the Synclavier’s permanent home for the next 12 months.''

He says for the next 12 months, which makes perfect sense if the sessions started in August 1986 since the album was released in August 1987.

I also don't think that you can dismiss the fact that the dates on the multitrack sheets of some of the songs on Bad say 1986.

Liberian Girl:
    Lead vocal: September 26th 1986
    Background vocals: October 3rd 1986

I Just Can't Stop Loving You:
    Background vocals: December 27th 1986
    Piano: December 26th 1986

Smooth Criminal:
    Background vocals:September 14th 1986
    Bass:September 8th 1986

19. The Following User Says Thank You to dethorro For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Christopher Currell was also there and this is what he had to say about the Bad sessions:

''Michael’s album project was to be recorded at Westlake Recording Studios in Studio D. Westlake is located at Santa Monica Blvd. in West Hollywood, California. The day prior to officially starting the album, I had Michael’s Synclavier brought into the studio. The main tower was set up in a small room just outside the control room. The keyboard and terminal were set up in the control room. This was to be the Synclavier’s permanent home for the next 12 months.''

He says for the next 12 months, which makes perfect sense if the sessions started in August 1986 since the album was released in August 1987.

I also don't think that you can dismiss the fact that the dates on the multitrack sheets of some of the songs on Bad say 1986.

Liberian Girl:

Smooth Criminal:
    No, it does not make perfect sense.

When Christopher Currell said that thing (“home for the next 12 months”) the date of the ‘BAD’ album was still unknown to everyone, even to Michael Jackson.

And that type of statement (“home for the next 12 months”) looks more like a statement that one makes at the beginning of a year, especially if they initially planned a 1987 Christmas release of the ‘BAD’ album.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Liberian Girl:

Smooth Criminal:

When Christopher Currell said that thing (“home for the next 12 months”) the date of the official release of the ‘BAD’ album was still unknown to everyone involved, even to Michael Jackson.

And that type of statement (“home for the next 12 months”) looks more like a statement that one makes at the beginning of a year, especially if they initially planned a 1987 Christmas release of the ‘BAD’ album.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

When Christopher Currell said that thing (“home for the next 12 months”) the date of the official release of the ‘BAD’ album was still unknown to everyone involved, even to Michael Jackson.
    Christopher Currell wrote that in a blog in 2015, not during the time they were working on Bad.