Did Michael get the gold leotard for the Dangerous Tour from Madonnas Blonde Ambition tour?

Thriller_MJ

Proud Member
The similarities between the two costumes are quite striking. The Blonde Ambition tour was 1990 so there is every chance Michael saw Madonnas now infamous costume and thought he could do something just as provocative/sexual with the Gold Leotard for the Dangerous tour. It's something I've always wondered about given how similar both costumes are in terms of aesthetics

Michael maybe wanted to have something provocative, but I think the design of the golden "leotard" stemmed directly from the design of a fencing suit / jacket.

There was this Herb Ritts photo session prior to the release of the Dangerous album, where he wore one in black. And the golden one was an update of that.

a8e30f802e6dafd94a22c775c02c2653.jpg

A standard one:
Unbenannt.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, it was definitely fencing suit design, he even did some fencing moves during the tour. I did fencing so I thought it was cool, even though it was a bit mixed result with those type of pants he wore, but that's MJ for you. :)

I hated this growing up. I had always seen babies & my grandmother wear leotard like apparel & I loved the dangerous tour & everything about it but that leotard. It looks hell of uncomfortable & I just really wish he had the torso part tucked waiste below inside & not like superman. As a tribute artist...lol that outfit is DEFINITELY off limits for me. Imo....THIS was the worst thing he couldve ever did. Not hurt anyone, say anything wrong, skin color, none of that.....but that leotard? No!

I LOVE this outfit. It's soooo sexy. There's something about the way he wears it that makes him look so hot and sexy in it, that makes me go wild. the way it fits his body. He's too sexy for his own good

I just really wish he had the torso part tucked waiste below inside & not like superman.

For his Superbowl performance, that is exactly what he did... not many people noticed, but he made his outfit less controversial for that performance. He wasn't wearing the golden leotard on stage, but he was wearing it on the footage on the two jumbotron screens (at the beginning of the show). But he tugged it in, and covered the lower part with a golden band. See image.
Also, on stage he was wearing a white round-neck T-shirt instead of the usual V-neck T-shirt, showing less skin than usual.

Schermafbeelding-2020-02-24-om-16-31-38.png

Last edited:
For his Superbowl performance, that is exactly what he did... not many people noticed, but he made his outfit less controversial for that performance. He wasn't wearing the golden leotard on stage, but he was wearing it on the footage on the two jumbotron screens (at the beginning of the show). But he tugged it in, and covered the lower part with a golden band. See image.
Also, on stage he was wearing a white round-neck T-shirt instead of the usual V-neck T-shirt, showing less skin than usual.

Schermafbeelding-2020-02-24-om-16-31-38.png
[/url][/IMG]

I wonder if we will ever have a chance to watch that jumbotron footage (both versions). I'd be happy even if it isn't in HD.

Jackson Rules;4282310 said:
I wonder if we will ever have a chance to watch that jumbotron footage (both versions). I'd be happy even if it isn't in HD.

It’s on YouTube:

[video]https://youtu.be/nBkNQZ-6QHg[/video]

Wow man....i never ever payed that any attention! I guess I'm so used to seeing it that way i didn't notice. Good catch! But yeah i definitely wonder how long he danced & to what music when he was doing that footage. Maybe all he did was what we saw

Wow man....i never ever payed that any attention! I guess I'm so used to seeing it that way i didn't notice. Good catch! But yeah i definitely wonder how long he danced & to what music when he was doing that footage. Maybe all he did was what we saw

Wasn't there a short making of clip? From a news show reporting prior to the superbowl or so.

The similarities between the two costumes are quite striking. The Blonde Ambition tour was 1990 so there is every chance Michael saw Madonnas now infamous costume and thought he could do something just as provocative/sexual with the Gold Leotard for the Dangerous tour. It's something I've always wondered about given how similar both costumes are in terms of aesthetics

Not really. In fact, chances are, Madonna copied Michael, rather than the other way around. The BAD Tour shirts (silver, red, black, etc.) were actually a leotard design as well, except that Michael wore them on the inside of his trousers, rather than the outside.

Not really. In fact, chances are, Madonna copied Michael, rather than the other way around. The BAD Tour shirts (silver, red, black, etc.) were actually a leotard design as well, except that Michael wore them on the inside of his trousers, rather than the outside.
Well im guessing the reason for those being leotards is that it helps the shirt to not untuck

Wow. what a "new" MJ fact I just learn today. i guess Michael was a big fans of leotards. LOL! but i prefer his leotards inside his pants then inside out. but my guess he want it to do something different for fashion wise.

people always follow Michael clothing style back in the day. LOL. some still do today. his fashion and outfits is and were iconic.

Wasn't there a short making of clip? From a news show reporting prior to the superbowl or so.

I only found this, but it doesn't contain a lot of footage of Michael rehearsing...

Thriller_MJ;4282238 said:

Michael Jackson did not get the gold leotard from Madonna’s similar costume that she wore in her ‘Blond Ambition World Tour’.

The fact that Madonna had already worn a similar costume in her tour is just coincidental.

Michael Jackson simply liked the leather leotard that Herb Ritts suggested that he should wear in the ‘Dangerous Promo Photo Shoot’ in 1991.

Michael Bush, his long-time personal stylist, explained it when he was asked how the idea of Michael Jackson’s gold leotard from the Dangerous Tour came about:

“We had done a photo shoot with the famous photographer Herb Ritts and it was the first one we did with leather which turned out to be a timeless photo. Later Michael said that we were taking that style and concept on tour and that's how it came about” (Michael Bush)

Also, as far as I know, Michael Jackson was in the habit of wanting to accentuate his crotch area while performing on stage (and the gold leotard served also that purpose for him during the Dangerous Tour).

Then I thought his costumes looked cool (except for the dangerous one) now they look cringe. Give me a classy suit with jacket like in the triumph era, he never looked better on stage than in 1980/1981

Back