National Anthem

wonderouzmj

Proud Member
I was watching whitney perform it & got to wondering why mj never did it other than the early j5 days?

There could be a few things, but it's speculation:

Probably because he was Jehovah's Witness, or maybe he found out about the extra verses into "The Star Spangled Banner."

Like the user said above me probably because he was a JW but I don't understand why he did in his J5 days and stop during his whole life. maybe he wasn't aware during his J5 days. he was just a kid. but it is kind of awkward though. I don't know.

There could be a few things, but it's speculation:

Probably because he was Jehovah's Witness, or maybe he found out about the extra verses into "The Star Spangled Banner."
As stated.... he did it with j5, & what does that have to do with religion? You know how many ppl show up to these games & watch at home. Dont think thats a problem but i do wanna know if it ever was a topic for him or did he just did not wanna do that

I don't know much about Michael's faith. so i'm not really gonna say it was because he was JW. though. maybe because he didn't want to do it. maybe that wasn't for him even though he did it in his J5 days.

Jehovah's Witnesses

As stated.... he did it with j5, & what does that have to do with religion?
I went to school with some Witnesses and they never participated in the pledge of allegiance or the anthem. It's against the JW beliefs. They are also not supposed to participate in voting, celebrate holidays/birthdays, or get blood transfusions. Mike was going to destroy the Thriller video footage because of the JW elders because it was considered occult. But John Landis talked him out of it put the disclaimer at the beginning.

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses

I went to school with some Witnesses and they never participated in the pledge of allegiance or the anthem. It's against the JW beliefs. They are also not supposed to participate in voting, celebrate holidays/birthdays, or get blood transfusions. Mike was going to destroy the Thriller video footage because of the JW elders because it was considered occult. But John Landis talked him out of it put the disclaimer at the beginning.

Thank you for pointing that out. i kind of figure it was about his faith. though why did he sing it in his J5 days? he wasn't aware?

Thank you for pointing that out. i kind of figure it was about his faith. though why did he sing it in his J5 days? he wasn't aware?
I don't know. It was probably Motown's idea, like having the Jackson 5 record a Christmas album. JW's aren't supposed to celebrate Christmas. Papa Joe was not a JW, so he might not have really cared one way or the other. He might have considered it free publicity. Their mother is the Witness.

Well I guess they did it for business. though kind of wrong he force them though.... I believe everything they did was publicity stunts to be honest. we all know Michael family wasn't not perfect at all.

Like the user said above me probably because he was a JW but I don't understand why he did in his J5 days and stop during his whole life. maybe he wasn't aware during his J5 days. he was just a kid. but it is kind of awkward though. I don't know.

When he was a kid he had to do what other people wanted him to do and maybe the anthem was something he was obliged to do.

Do you know why they are not supposed to participate in voting?

Do you know why they are not supposed to participate in voting?

All I know is that JW's are not meant to place anyone or anything above God (Jehovah). So they don't pledge allegiance to their country via the national anthem and they don't pledge allegiance to politicians, or follow celebrities, etc.

I remember Jermaine saying that they don't vote BUT they don't support trump at all. so if they could vote most likely they would of voted for the clintons. which is no surprise because Michael supports them anyway back in the day.

i'm not the one for politics either so sorry for bring this up. i think nowadays the family has different faiths now. Michael mom is still a Witness.

When he was a kid he had to do what other people wanted him to do and maybe the anthem was something he was obliged to do.

Yeah. but still doesn't give them the right to make him do it. if we talking about joe. then I understand. if we talking about someone else then yeah that's not right. i know Michael had a bad childhood so I can understand sometimes why he was so timing as a kid. but if he had to go to school or some other place. he could of just said that due to his faith i'm not gonna sing the song etc.

though, like you said it was a different time but it's still isn't right.

Back