How do you organize your digital MJ collection?

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
I’m interested to hear about how you all deal with clutter in your digital MJ collection. How do you handle the massive amount of photos, videos, and newspaper articles you have collected on your hard drives over the years? How do you use folders, tags, apps, naming conventions etc. to keep everything organized?

I have decided to go with a chronological approach and sort everything into folders by year, date & event, and then subfolders for videos, photos etc. So, a typical folder structure looks like this:

=======================
---1984-02-28 Grammy Awards
------Photos
------Videos
=======================

The international date convention ensures that all subfolders are sorted chronologically and the whole thing results in a timeline of events.

What’s your approach? And what do you collect? Do you keep multiple versions of the same video? Each and every amateur video and blurry photo? Or are you picky and keep only the best? Do you meticulously rename all photos according to a naming convention? Or are you a hoarder who dumps everything into one huge folder and never looks back? :)

I go by the type. Multitracks, photos(dates in different folders of course, albums, games, miscellaneous

I was obsessively collecting physical stuff all through the 90s but sold most of it by now. I never really got that much into digitally collecting (as it's pretty much all available online)... so I just have one folder with a few extra interesting bits and bobs and 2-3 sub folders with things that still fascinate me the most. For example, being a classic SciFi nerd, I'm a little obsessed with collecting all images in relation with Captain EO and images of the Moonwalker robot. :D

I put everything in one folder with sub folders. my mom she has a lot mj stuff but when it comes to photos and anything paper wise she copy them and save them online as well. we also use drives as well.

Back