Spotify PYT vs Human Nature, why the big gap in spins?

JichaelMackson

Proud Member
I never really considered PYT to be one of MJ's signature songs while Human Nature was not only a bigger hit it's also more known across the world due to being a regular live song as well as being played more often on radio. So why does PYT have about 175 million spins on Spotify versus Human Nature's 75 million?

The obvious reason could be that I am wrong and PYT is more popular and well known but I think there must be another reason. Was PYT perhaps used in a tv show or film that I don't know of so it got more exposure?

hits

How high a song reached on the charts is not necessarily an indicator of popularity. Bad To The Bone by George Thorogood was not really a big hit, but it's a very well known song. Same for Back In Black by AC/DC & Rock And Roll All Nite by KISS. Those 3 songs are more known today than a lot of #1 hits. Only one of them (Back In Black) even reached the Top 40 in the USA, and no higher than #37. You can say the same about many Christmas songs. They weren't usually hits.

Still doesn't explain why PYT is so much more played on Spotify than Human Nature. It's even close in spins to TWYMMF which I find odd. This is not about me not liking the song or anything. I love it but MJ never played it live and it isn't that often played on the radio in comparison with Human Nature.
If the Spotify numbers were the other way around it would make more sense to me.

Other MJ songs with the same level of chart success and airplay don't even come close to PYT's spins on Spotify for example "off the wall" or "wanna be starting something" which both strike me as more well known MJ tracks.

PYT is extremely popular with the younger audience. It’s just one of those songs which wasn’t really that popular when it was released, but in recent years, it has grown in popularity.

Nite Line;4282841 said:
It’s just one of those songs which wasn’t really that popular when it was released, but in recent years, it has grown in popularity.

Exactly. I notice songs that don't get a lot airplay are the ones that become popular later in life. like baby be mine. it was wasn't popular but now people play it a lot.

T-Pain

Still doesn't explain why PYT is so much more played on Spotify than Human Nature.
Well, maybe it was the Kanye West & T-Pain song Good Life which was really popular awhile back. It sampled PYT. T-Pain & Robin Thicke remade it on a Quincy Jones album. T-Pain recently won on The Masked Singer. There's a Glee (TV show) version too and Glee was popular for a little while. Glee had several CDs with performances from the show. There's also the Wale song My PYT which has an interpolation. It was a hit in the USA. Perhaps these other versions made some people look for the original and increased its popularity with younger listeners who might not have heard it. Just like the popularity of Wild Thoughts by DJ Khaled & Rihanna made people look up Maria Maria by Santana on Youtube. Which you can tell by the some of the comments on both videos.

Thanks DuranDuran that looks like a plausible answer. For a song to have over 100 million spins more than another popular MJ track must have a reason because it means it gained a couple of million fans and that doesn't happen without a reason.
I think PYT, Man in the Mirror and They Don't Care About Us have gained the most fans since his passing.

Re: T-Pain

Well, maybe it was the Kanye West & T-Pain song Good Life which was really popular awhile back. It sampled PYT. T-Pain & Robin Thicke remade it on a Quincy Jones album. T-Pain recently won on The Masked Singer. There's a Glee (TV show) version too and Glee was popular for a little while. Glee had several CDs with performances from the show. There's also the Wale song My PYT which has an interpolation. It was a hit in the USA. Perhaps these other versions made some people look for the original and increased its popularity with younger listeners who might not have heard it. Just like the popularity of Wild Thoughts by DJ Khaled & Rihanna made people look up Maria Maria by Santana on Youtube. Which you can tell by the some of the comments on both videos.

They use to play this song a lot back in the day. i didn't know it was sample to pretty young thing. i use to like kayne music but after all the things he said. i'm not a fan of him anymore. i don't hate him but i didn't like the things he said. also kayne is a big MJ fan so it makes a lot of sense. saying he's the new MJ. LOL!

LOL! he no where near MJ. not saying he didn't have some pretty good hits back in the day. I miss the old Kanye.

Back