Victory Tour Toronto performance

JichaelMackson

Proud Member
It is on YouTube for ages but I only decided yesterday to watch it for the first time. I always putted it off because I thought it was one of those very bad quality copies (like those of the Destiny/Triumph tours) despite some skipping annoyances this was of pretty good quality most of the time.

Anyway what I really wanted to say was that I think this is as good or even better than Yokohama 87. The performance of Beat it is almost identical to the album version. Billie Jean during the victory tour has always had my preferation. Love the fast pace and energy on it.

The only down part of that tour it seems was that the setlist was almost identical to the one of the Triumph tour. It's mostly just can you feel it, ben and DSTYGE that are left out for WBSS, Beat it and Billie Jean.

I also very much liked the lighting and to be honest I think he should have kept on touring with this band + his brothers because they just sound way better together than the people on the next tours. That guitar guy (forgot his name) for example performs better than the blonde women with big hair on later tours (forgot her name too :p )

It is on YouTube for ages but I only decided yesterday to watch it for the first time. I always putted it off because I thought it was one of those very bad quality copies (like those of the Destiny/Triumph tours) despite some skipping annoyances this was of pretty good quality most of the time.

Anyway what I really wanted to say was that I think this is as good or even better than Yokohama 87. The performance of Beat it is almost identical to the album version. Billie Jean during the victory tour has always had my preferation. Love the fast pace and energy on it.

The only down part of that tour it seems was that the setlist was almost identical to the one of the Triumph tour. It's mostly just can you feel it, ben and DSTYGE that are left out for WBSS, Beat it and Billie Jean.

I also very much liked the lighting and to be honest I think he should have kept on touring with this band + his brothers because they just sound way better together than the people on the next tours. That guitar guy (forgot his name) for example performs better than the blonde women with big hair on later tours (forgot her name too :p )
I remember when the first snippets leaked. I couldn't wait to see this show. When a rare show of MJ performing in your area is made available it's amazing to say the least. I haven't watched Yokohama in a while but I would put this show up there. This is the best quality Victory show we have to date. It took years to get this version though. I agree beat it was amazing. Considering how cold it was you have to respect how great they all did. This was the last time MJ performed in Toronto so it just adds more to the rarity and for me how special it is.

The guitarist you're referring to on the Bad tour is Jennifer Batten :)

Is there any chance that Jermaine and MJ sang "victory" on some dates instead of "Tell me I'm not dreaming"?
When he comes in for his part he completely transforms the song just like he does on "can you feel it".

Is there any chance that Jermaine and MJ sang "victory" on some dates instead of "Tell me I'm not dreaming"?
When he comes in for his part he completely transforms the song just like he does on "can you feel it".

Victory? I don't believe that's a song? Unless you're talking about the 3rd Freddie/MJ duet.

Bro, when the first snippets came out I couldn't stop replaying them!
Same! Those snippets were jaw dropping. Just as exciting as bad25 hype....before we seen the Wembley VHS quality lol.

Im not sure. Tell me im not dreaming is another highlight for sure.
I like the full show obviously but some highlights imo
Tell me im not dreaming
shes out of my life
Human nature
Beat it
Heartbreak Hotel
Working Day & Night
Billie jean
Shake your body

Actually, there were strong disagreements between Michael Jackson and his brothers over which songs from the ‘Victory’ album they should perform during the Victory tour.

Eventually, no consensus was reached about that, and the group decided not to perform any songs from that album during that tour.

Especially, after what happened with the ‘Torture’ music video, where Michael Jackson fell out with his brother Jermaine Jackson and in the end they both refused to appear together on that video.

Also, Michael Jackson was afraid that if they performed any new song(s) from the newly released ‘Victory’ album, that would increase the sales of the ‘Victory’ album to the disadvantage of the sales of his own ‘Thriller’ album.

I never understood why MJ & Jermaine performed Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming, but didn't perform Torture? If they were having issues, then why would they perform one song but not the other? I don't quite get it.

I hope they release one of the concerts on DVD and Blu-Ray if possibe at some point.

I never understood why MJ & Jermaine performed Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming, but didn't perform Torture? If they were having issues, then why would they perform one song but not the other? I don't quite get it.

I read up somewhere is was because Michael wasn't apart the torture video or something. I could be wrong. but it's something to do with that.

It would be nice they could remaster this tour in HQ. i'm pretty sure there are fans who have this in HQ. probably gonna cost some money but i'm in for it. I guess this all we have for now.

Victory Tour features my favourite performance of Human Nature. None of that annoying stop and start in the middle of the performance, which became a prominent feature of the song starting from Bad Tour onward. I hope we get an official release of Victory Tour in HD someday with a live album. Maybe for Thriller 40 or Thriller 50.

Victory Tour features my favourite performance of Human Nature. None of that annoying stop and start in the middle of the performance, which became a prominent feature of the song starting from Bad Tour onward. I hope we get an official release of Victory Tour in HD someday with a live album. Maybe for Thriller 40 or Thriller 50.
Any Jacksons concert release would be great. I still don't understand why we don't have an official concert release from them. Chicago, LA, NY, TO, are all great shows from what we have seen. I'm tempted to ask Taj to ask his uncles about it lol
The pause in human nature never really bothered me tbh. I can see why though.

Yes if you compare this to the Bucharest performance it's night and day. It's not just MJ, I think his brothers are excellent backing vocalists and the band just seems to be better as well in comparison with even the Bad tour. MJ's dancing is less choreographed so more effort is in his vocals, it's just excellent all around.

Like I said earlier the only disappointing thing about MJ concerts from 1981 to 1987 is the lack of variety in playlists. From Triumph over Victory to the first leg of the bad tour there's only 3 different songs per concert (can you feel it, ben, DSTYGE for Triumph), then (WBSS, Beat it, Billie Jean for Victory) and for the for the first leg bad tour (IJCSLY, Bad,Thriller) are added. But those concerts are about the music and not the spectacle!

Did you know he never sung a single 90s song live in concert? Not Jam, Heal the word, earth song, YANA nothing at all. To me it's a mystery ...

Yes if you compare this to the Bucharest performance it's night and day. It's not just MJ, I think his brothers are excellent backing vocalists and the band just seems to be better as well in comparison with even the Bad tour. MJ's dancing is less choreographed so more effort is in his vocals, it's just excellent all around.

Like I said earlier the only disappointing thing about MJ concerts from 1981 to 1987 is the lack of variety in playlists. From Triumph over Victory to the first leg of the bad tour there's only 3 different songs per concert (can you feel it, ben, DSTYGE for Triumph), then (WBSS, Beat it, Billie Jean for Victory) and for the for the first leg bad tour (IJCSLY, Bad,Thriller) are added. But those concerts are about the music and not the spectacle!

Did you know he never sung a single 90s song live in concert? Not Jam, Heal the word, earth song, YANA nothing at all. To me it's a mystery ...
When you put it that way lol. Never noticed that. I think the bad tour really damaged mjs vocals. He gave his all on that tour. I think that's why he said it would be his last (at the time). Yeah mj was always consistent with his setlists.

When you put it that way lol. Never noticed that. I think the bad tour really damaged mjs vocals. He gave his all on that tour. I think that's why he said it would be his last (at the time). Yeah mj was always consistent with his setlists.

I think to say he never sang one song from the 90s live in concert is a tad extreme.

I think to say he never sang one song from the 90s live in concert is a tad extreme.

But it's a fact and something I said a few months ago as well. The only 90s song that he did live was Gone Too Soon and that was performed only once. Black or White was live a couple of times at Wembley and Munich 1992, but with the studio vocals on in the background.

Last edited:
I hope we get an official release of Victory Tour in HD someday with a live album. Maybe for Thriller 40 or Thriller 50.

That make me feel so old.lol. but i'm with ya. I don't think we getting it anytime soon since what happen last year. but we can hope.

Any Jacksons concert release would be great. I still don't understand why we don't have an official concert release from them. Chicago, LA, NY, TO, are all great shows from what we have seen. I'm tempted to ask Taj to ask his uncles about it lol
The pause in human nature never really bothered me tbh. I can see why though.

I agree with everything you just said. I think we should ask Taj and his uncles. they can't help us much but maybe they can tell us something. I don't think that's a bad idea.

But it's a fact and something I said a few months ago as well. The only 90s song that he did live was Childhood and that was performed only once. Black or White was live a couple of times at Wembley and Munich 1992, but with the studio vocals on in the background.

Childhood when? I only know of gone too soon with Bill Gates inauguration

Back