Let's talk about MJ tours and gigs

JichaelMackson

Proud Member
According to wiki these are the tours the J5 and Michael Jackson did during their career.

-The Jackson 5 first national tour 1970 USA only
-The Jackson 5 second national tour 1971 USA only
-The Jackson 5 1972 tour USA/Europe
-The Jackson 5 world tour 1973-1975 first tour around the globe visiting each continent (a good quality Mexico gig is available on YouTube)
-The Jackson 5 final tour 1976 Philippines
-The Jacksons tour 1977 Europe/Venezuela
-Goin Places tour 1978 USA/Europe
-Destiny world tour 1979/1980 2nd global tour
-Triumph tour 1981 USA only
-Victory tour 1984 North America
-Bad tour 1987-1989 3rd world tour (first solo)
-Dangerous tour 1992-1993 4th world tour (2nd solo)
-HIStory tour 1996-1997 5th world tour (3rd solo)
-MJ and friends gigs 1999 South Korea + Munich
-MSG 30 year anniversary gigs 2001 USA

Cancelled tours/concerts/gigs:
-One Night Only 1995
-New Years eve 2000 concerts
-This is it 2009/2010

TV show gigs, award gigs stuff like that, something I know absolutely nothing about, perhaps someone can fill the void?

I really like to see concerts of the first 2 tours as "the Jacksons" around 1977/1978 as I feel that's when MJ started his prime in singing/performing which lasted till basically the Bad tour imo

The early national tours of the J5 (around 1970-1973) must have been special as well with true chaos and mayhem when the brothers arrived on stage (or so the myth goes)

Perhaps the true holy grail lies in the early gigs they played (presumable in bars) during the second half of 1960s before they became big, if someone has amateur footage of that time he is in possession of a treasure.

Perhaps some older members can tell about their experiences on tours? I hope there are people around who saw them perform as the Jackson 5, that would be awesome to read about!

Last edited:
After the MSG shows MJ had 3 other shows. He led a charity event called “United We Stand” in tribute of the 9/11 victims at the end of 2001. Proper footage of Michael at the event has never been released due to some kind of agreement that the TV networks had about showing him on their channel. He performed Man in the Mirror and What More Can I Give, the latter of which Michael can be seen in from a distance on YouTube.

In 2002 he performed Dangerous at the American Bandstand 50th Anniversary Celebration. This can be seen on YouTube. Michael also performed at a fundraiser for the DNC in April 2002. High quality snippets of the performance of Dangerous can be seen online, but the rest was not broadcast at the time. He also performed Black or White and Heal the World on this night.

How odd that he would keep performing old songs around 2001/2002 with a new album out. I don't think he must have been very proud of the album itself. If only he had found a way to put his demons aside so that he could release albums every 2/3 years. Perhaps he thought since the album flopped the fans didn't want him to do "new" material? Either way he was wrong we would have loved it.

Only Michael Jackson could release an album that sells over 10 million copies and have it be called a flop. If anyone else sold those numbers then it would be considered a great commercial success. Especially in 2001 with websites like Napster and Livewire popping up where people were downloaded music for free

Only Michael Jackson could release an album that sells over 10 million copies and have it be called a flop. If anyone else sold those numbers then it would be considered a great commercial success. Especially in 2001 with websites like Napster and Livewire popping up where people were downloaded music for free

Especially when you consider that when Invincible came out, Michael was 43 and not in his youthful prime anymore. Considering how the radios tend to favour the younger artists over the older artists and that Michael's reputation wasn't the greatest at the time, the fact that Invincible sold over 10 million is a great achievement. Most artists in their prime can't manage to replicate sales of Invincible.

How odd that he would keep performing old songs around 2001/2002 with a new album out. I don't think he must have been very proud of the album itself. If only he had found a way to put his demons aside so that he could release albums every 2/3 years. Perhaps he thought since the album flopped the fans didn't want him to do "new" material? Either way he was wrong we would have loved it.

Put his demons aside? What?

Or you know, actually be a perfectionist releasing quality music?

Also, if you think Michael Jackson would release a body of work to the public, without being proud of it, it would seem you know very little about the man himself.

Every post I make seems to be toxic for at least someone. Grow up people. If you want me gone, just say so and I'll be gone.

It's a flop end of discussion it was out of the higher ends of the charts after 4 weeks, it had 1 hit single and it only sold reasonable numbers because MJ had a big fanbase.

Now go and hate me for it.

Last edited:
sales

It's a flop end of discussion it was out of the higher ends of the charts after 4 weeks
So do you consider blues, gospel, classical, instrumental, or jazz albums "flops"? They rarely reach the upper parts of the Top 200 chart, especially with the current mainstream audience. Nor do they have usually have hit singles.

Re: sales

So do you consider blues, gospel, classical, instrumental, or jazz albums "flops"? They rarely reach the upper parts of the Top 200 chart, especially with the current mainstream audience. Nor do they have usually have hit singles.

MJ's record company release albums of MJ with the thought of reaching multiple tens of millions of sales, it's all about money. Invincible didn't have legs so promotion was probably quickly deemed even more loss of money. I don't know what classical or jazz albums have to do with this.
I'm not talking about quality, I'm talking about sales. Movies that cost 100 million to produce and end up earning 150 million at the gates are also flops.
Dangerous was almost considered a flop (I don't agree with that) and that album sold truckloads of records not too mention it stayed in the top 10 for months while Invincible was gone after 1 month.

MJ's record company release albums of MJ with the thought of reaching multiple tens of millions of sales, it's all about money. Invincible didn't have legs so promotion was probably quickly deemed even more loss of money. I don't know what classical or jazz albums have to do with this.
If a record does not sell as well, what's it to you? Do you own Sony stock or something? :rofl: Record labels and movie studios sometimes release records/movies to fail on purpose. So it's not always about making money.

This is pure speculation, but we probably would’ve seen more Invincible material live if he chose to tour for the album. Since all these 2000s concerts were anniversary concerts or short performances it was probably just safer to stick with the classics.

That being said I don’t think any Invincible songs were being rehearsed for This Is It, which is a shame but he couldn’t afford to take risks with relaunching his career.

10 million plus copies is still a success regardless of how long Invincible stayed in the top 10 charts. And it's unfair to compare it to MJ's previous album sales because 2001 was a different time to the 80's and 90's. Websites like Napster hurt record sales for a lot of artists at that time

By whom?
I doubt anyone ever said that Dangerous was a flop. You have to be pretty ignorant to say that.

I said almost. I'm talking about the complete picture, less nr 1 hits, less top 10 hits and less sales in general in the USA which is still the most important market. I can't back it up but I remember a big deal was made when Dangerous dropped from the first spot to Nirvana in the USA and to Queen's greatest hits in the UK.
But the album had legs it stayed high in the charts for several months, proving early critics about it being a flop wrong. Hence I said "almost".

Didn't Dangerous yield more hit singles than any album in history? And didn't it hold that record exclusively, until Justin Timberlake's Future Sex Love Sounds?

Nirvana

I can't back it up but I remember a big deal was made when Dangerous dropped from the first spot to Nirvana in the USA and to Queen's greatest hits in the UK.
I kinda doubt if Dangerous spot was taken over by Marky Mark, Bobby Brown, Janet Jackson, Kenny G, Bon Jovi, or Color Me Badd a big deal would have been made about it. The rock music media (like Rolling Stone magazine) was promoting the idea of grunge & alternative rock taking over. Like they were also saying grunge killed the popularity of 1980s glam metal (aka hair metal) bands. Thriller & Bad were eventually replaced at #1 by another album. There were no big stories about that.

809+ shows between 1969 - 2002, I don't have an exact number since most of the tour dates between 1974-1978 are missing/have no exact dates, which sucks because the 1974 shows seem absolutely incredible in terms of J5/

Out of all of them that have leaked in video

35 Pro. MJ Concerts (good amount of them incomplete)
Approx. 4/8 J5 concerts (All of them through specials/documentaries/news)
Approx. 7 Jacksons concerts (All from 1979-1984)

I'm more of a J5 guy so i'm gonna mostly talk about the J5 stuff

Philadelphia 1970 (First concert, only 2 songs have surfaced, along with stunning HD clips through Docus, the setlist is short has only 2 J5 originals, but has songs never performed afterwards (My Cherie Amour) or songs that have rarely been performed (Yesterday), this would be a good release)
Forum 1970 (Released back in 2010 & is probably the best J5-concert release, but it's missing the opening number, "Stand!" & it's Reprise (performance deemed unusable because of Jermaine's mic & amp not working)
Jacksonville 1970 (LQ footage recorded by a news crew, has some wonderful songs not featured on the Forum show but suffers from poor audio quality, honestly would love a HQ release, some HD clips have been shown in Docus,)
Indiana 1971 (TV Special with concert footage, they probably recorded the whole concert but 1/2 of it still remains unreleased, wonderful live album)
Forum 1972 (Released alongside Forum 1970, absolutely wonderful release)
San Diego 1972 (Only one song has been released but it's absolutely stunning, "Ain't No Sunshine" is probably one of the greatest J5 performances)
PUSH Expo 1972 (Though we only have the medley & IWBWYA, they actually performed at least 8 songs that night, but we only have 2 of those songs)
Paris 1972 (Wonderful show but with no exact setlist, songs are missing but the footage we have is excellent)
Japan 1973 (What I would've considered the best show had the full show been released, it's missing a lot of songs (mostly from "Music & Me" & "Skywriter") but has some wonderful performances)
Africa 1974 (My FAVORITE Jackson 5 show, wonderful setlist, beautiful performance, & was shot on film for a 1974 Documentary, sadly only LQ clips have surfaced & it's only 2 songs, but if any show should be released, I would have to say this one)
St. Paul 1974 (Small segment captured by a news crew but is just as lovely, wouldn't mind this being released either, if anymore was captured)
Mexico 1975 (Very mixed on this, on the one hand it's a full J5 concert with video, but it's honestly way too fast & it's setlist is pretty boring to me)

Honestly the J5 have this simple charm, they're just brothers doing a show, no big special effects, just pure, raw, energy. A J5 release would probably excite me more than any new MJ release (unless it's Jacksons or the BAD World Tour)

Last edited:
A J5 release would probably excite me more than any new MJ release (unless it's Jacksons or the BAD World Tour)
For me, it WOULD excite me more than anything else. Like I said in another thread recently, there's nothing I want more than a J5 concert from one of their early tours!

809+ shows between 1969 - 2002, I don't have an exact number since most of the tour dates between 1974-1978 are missing/have no exact dates, which sucks because the 1974 shows seem absolutely incredible in terms of J5/

Out of all of them that have leaked in video

35 Pro. MJ Concerts (good amount of them incomplete)
Approx. 4/8 J5 concerts (All of them through specials/documentaries/news)
Approx. 7 Jacksons concerts (All from 1979-1984)

Philadelphia 1970 (First concert, only 2 songs have surfaced, along with stunning HD clips through Docus, the setlist is short has only 2 J5 originals, but has songs never performed afterwards (My Cherie Amour) or songs that have rarely been performed (Yesterday), this would be a good release)
Forum 1970 (Released back in 2010 & is probably the best J5-concert release, but it's missing the opening number, "Stand!" & it's Reprise (performance deemed unusable because of Jermaine's mic & amp not working)
Jacksonville 1970 (LQ footage recorded by a news crew, has some wonderful songs not featured on the Forum show but suffers from poor audio quality, honestly would love a HQ release, some HD clips have been shown in Docus,)
Indiana 1971 (TV Special with concert footage, they probably recorded the whole concert but 1/2 of it still remains unreleased, wonderful live album)
Forum 1972 (Released alongside Forum 1970, absolutely wonderful release)
San Diego 1972 (Only one song has been released but it's absolutely stunning, "Ain't No Sunshine" is probably one of the greatest J5 performances)
PUSH Expo 1972 (Though we only have the medley & IWBWYA, they actually performed at least 8 songs that night, but we only have 2 of those songs)
Paris 1972 (Wonderful show but with no exact setlist, songs are missing but the footage we have is excellent)
Japan 1973 (What I would've considered the best show had the full show been released, it's missing a lot of songs (mostly from "Music & Me" & "Skywriter") but has some wonderful performances)
Africa 1974 (My FAVORITE Jackson 5 show, wonderful setlist, beautiful performance, & was shot on film for a 1974 Documentary, sadly only LQ clips have surfaced & it's only 2 songs, but if any show should be released, I would have to say this one)
St. Paul 1974 (Small segment captured by a news crew but is just as lovely, wouldn't mind this being released either, if anymore was captured)
Mexico 1975 (Very mixed on this, on the one hand it's a full J5 concert with video, but it's honestly way too fast & it's setlist is pretty boring to me)

Honestly the J5 have this simple charm, they're just brothers doing a show, no big special effects, just pure, raw, energy. A J5 release would probably excite me more than any new MJ release (unless it's Jacksons or the BAD World Tour)

So I take I can find these on YouTube?
Can you post setlists as well? Setlist I'm most interested in are for the 1977/1978 concerts. I'm very interested in this period myself.
Have they ever performed: we're almost there, we've got forever, you've changed, who's loving you live?

Dangerous didn't flop at all. but Invincible kind of did because it wasn't promoted like it should have. you can blame Sony for that.

If a record does not sell as well, what's it to you? Do you own Sony stock or something? :rofl: Record labels and movie studios sometimes release records/movies to fail on purpose. So it's not always about making money.

You are so right.

I made a separate thread for this post below but it belongs here

I 'd like to talk a bit about the live in Mexico 1975 show which is on YouTube. When the band plays "Dancing Machine" and MJ asks the audience to repeat his singing it gets so awkward for the blonde woman. I really felt for her and Michael kept o pushing her to participate. I'm a very awkward and shy person myself, I probably would have died in my seat lol. Especially when the others in the front row happily play along with the game it's so embarrassing!

Later during "body language" he just pulls all the women of the front row on the stage to dance (I'm not sure if he pulled the shy lady on stage too?), damn I would die for a second time, luckily I'm a guy so he would have left me alone. Anyway this reminds me why I never ever want to sit in front at anything! This show proved why.
It was awfully entertaining though, apart from the shame I felt for the blonde I also enjoyed very much how happy and carefree MJ performed and how he danced with the women on stage, totally not shy.

Also his ballads were SPOT ON during the concert. "Happy", "Ben", "Music & me" and especially my favorite "one day in your life"!
His spinning during the 70s was so effortless, it's definitely one of my fave things to see MJ doing multiple spins!
So apart from the mentioned ballads I'd pick "dancing Machine" and "Body Language" as highlights for the show.
MJ looked particularly happy because the crowd was actually silent and not screaming like in the USA so he could put some more emotion in his ballads and connect with the audience.

I agree with you selderi it's too fast paced but it's gets better imo probably because I got used to it. "It's too late to change the time" sounded the worst

You read this guys in charge of "the estate" THIS is what we want more of!!!

At least we should go on topic instead of focusing on how many records sold for the “Dangerous” album or “Invincible”, let’s keep it at that and talk about tours.

For what I’ve been saying for many years is that I still don’t understand why Michael never performed his Bad and Dangerous tours in the Great White North? And I’m talking about Canada, if yous don’t know. I’m happy he performed there before like the Victory Tour, but he performed there with his brothers. I’ve been wanting answers why he didn’t perform his solo tours in Canada, almost the rest of the world got to see his solo shows, except Canada and it’s not even fair to us Canadians.

Your not a bad person but it seem every thread you making lately been, i don't have a word to put it.
You are not entitled to criticise anyone on this forum about posts or threads, given your own past and present behaviour.

Stay on topic please.

So I take I can find these on YouTube?
Can you post setlists as well? Setlist I'm most interested in are for the 1977/1978 concerts. I'm very interested in this period myself.
Have they ever performed: we're almost there, we've got forever, you've changed, who's loving you live?

All of these have snippets/released on Youtube, but I know Paris 1972 has been taken down recently.

I have an entire spreadsheet of almost every J5 tour date, & i'm starting to collect info on every song (when first performed, how many times, etc.), I also have setlists but only 7 of them, I'm trying to get a site made specifically for J5 info (Like Jackson5abc but more dedicated towards tours & stuff), but it's very a niche thing that nobody would really want.

"Who's Loving You" is a pretty common song, first known performance is June 20, 1970 at The Forum (though possibly performed on June 19, 1970 at the Cow Palace) & it was performed at least until 1971 (though it may have been performed during the Third National World Tour, since there were 3 dates in January before the main tour started)

The other songs? No clue. I would love to confirm that they were performed, but I have literally no credible sources for it.

Here's St. Paul 1974, featuring "Papa Was A Rolling Stone"/"Too Late To Change The Time"/"Skywriter"/"Never Can Say Goodbye"

I made a separate thread for this post below but it belongs here

I 'd like to talk a bit about the live in Mexico 1975 show which is on YouTube...

I agree with you selderi it's too fast paced but it's gets better imo probably because I got used to it. "It's too late to change the time" sounded the worst

You read this guys in charge of "the estate" THIS is what we want more of!!!

Jackson 5 stuff would be in the hands of Motown, I don't believe there's really anything stopping them from releasing this.

I genuinely have no idea what the hell "Mexico 1975" is, the earliest i've seen it is from a 1993 News Report, & we don't even have an exact date that for that show. All I know is that it has a whole Orchestra that isn't present in any known show, & that it's from December, I don't even know if they did other shows in Mexico that year, but it seems that show is the only time they performed in Mexico (unless one of shows they did between Sept. 4th & Oct 1st was in Mexico, though mislabeled as South America).

Fast pace is what kills it for me, Rockin' Robin works well with it, but if you compare "It's Too Late to Change the Time" between this & St. Paul 1974, you know that this sounds worse. It sucks that this is the only full J5 video concert we have.

Last edited:

Philadelphia 1970
Forum 1970
Jacksonville 1970
Indiana 1971
Forum 1972
San Diego 1972
PUSH Expo 1972
Paris 1972
Japan 1973
Africa 1974
St. Paul 1974
Mexico 1975

Wanna add on more to this, I missed a few shows.

Japan 1973 #2 (As I know there exists 2 things, a 1973 TV special that may be concert footage, & 3 songs that are floating online, "Hallelujah Day", "Papa Was A Rollin' Stone", & "Superstition" (All but "Superstition" are on Youtube), it's a different show than the album, but it's wonderful seeing footage.
Australia 1973 (Actual lost J5-tour footage, recorded for a Special set to air July 21st on ATN-7 at 6:30pm, though it's possible that it may have been dropped. I believe "Ben" was recorded.)
Africa 1974 #2 (Also from the "Jackson 5 In Africa" Documentary, different outfits, & set to "Hum Along & Dance".)
Houston 1974 (Silent Footage from the show they did before their 16 shows in Vegas, no audio but my friend EverythingMJ _480 added audio to some of the footage.)
Las Vegas(?) 1974 (Included right at the end of the Houston 1974 footage is footage of an Unknown show, again no audio.)

May be missing a few more?? But I think that's all of them

@Seldervi Do you plan to post your work of tour dates and possible setlists when it is completed? Is it finished soon or still in early stages?

I'd also love to hear live renditions of "with a child's heart, we've got a good thing going, Maria, mama's pearl and looking through the windows, ain't no sunshine, got to be there and you've got a friend".

Even though I listened to every J5 album I'm not that familiar with the (early 70-73 ) studio work nor too interested in it but live performances , yes pease! As for studio work for me it gets interesting from Forever Michael/Get it Together/Moving Violation/The Jacksons onwards.

I think someone should try to get the brothers to complete dates and setlists of J5 and Jacksons concerts.

I assume you are familiar with www.setlists.com it has a lot of dates but sadly close to no setlists.

Last edited:
Back