Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: Anyone who puts The Jacksons output 1976-1980 as high as early solo MJ?

   
  1. #1
    Points: 2,622, Level: 31
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered

    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    409
    Points
    2,622
    Level
    31
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 123 Times in 90 Posts

    Default Anyone who puts The Jacksons output 1976-1980 as high as early solo MJ?

    Now I personally don't put albums like Destiny as high as Thriller and Off The Wall but I do think they don't get enough credit. Most of the tracks on these albums could have been on any of the early solo albums imo. There is a sense of happiness and energy in those vocals that started (slowly) to diminish from Bad onwards.
    I feel lots of new fans don't even have the knowledge that these albums exist judging on the huge difference in numbers of votes this albums have on music sites.
    I would put them above History and Invincible for sure.

    Do you think if Thriller didn't become as big as it did that Michael would have stayed with The Jacksons? In a way It's a shame.

  2. #2
    Points: 6,338, Level: 51
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,406
    Points
    6,338
    Level
    51
    Thanks
    713
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 573 Posts

    Default Re: Anyone who puts The Jacksons output 1976-1980 as high as early solo MJ?

    If you look at the Destiny album, it's probably Michael's most personal album prior to History. Songs such as Things I Do For You, Bless His Soul, That's What You Get For Being Polite, Destiny aren't only autobiographical in nature, but are great songs that easily could have been on any MJ solo album. It's a shame that these songs don't get as much recognition as they deserve.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nite Line For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Points: 9,047, Level: 63
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,040
    Points
    9,047
    Level
    63
    Thanks
    976
    Thanked 895 Times in 416 Posts

    Default Re: Anyone who puts The Jacksons output 1976-1980 as high as early solo MJ?

    Early solo MJ was during J5 days... just saying.

    The only Jacksons album I really love is Triumph. It's up there with Off The Wall for me.
    The happiness factor of the earlier albums is really what puts me off. Though of course a few songs are great in between.

  5. #4
    Points: 2,622, Level: 31
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered

    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    409
    Points
    2,622
    Level
    31
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 123 Times in 90 Posts

    Default Re: Anyone who puts The Jacksons output 1976-1980 as high as early solo MJ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Electro View Post
    Early solo MJ was during J5 days... just saying.

    The only Jacksons album I really love is Triumph. It's up there with Off The Wall for me.
    The happiness factor of the earlier albums is really what puts me off. Though of course a few songs are great in between.
    Why does the happiness put you off?
    I love gloomy depressing music but early MJ does shift my mind to be more positive as I have a very pessimistic even depressing personality.

  6. #5
    Points: 7,686, Level: 58
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    wonderouzmj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    979
    Points
    7,686
    Level
    58
    Thanks
    270
    Thanked 657 Times in 304 Posts

    Default Re: Anyone who puts The Jacksons output 1976-1980 as high as early solo MJ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Electro View Post
    Early solo MJ was during J5 days... just saying.

    The only Jacksons album I really love is Triumph. It's up there with Off The Wall for me.
    The happiness factor of the earlier albums is really what puts me off. Though of course a few songs are great in between.
    Lol thats because it's after otw

  7. #6
    Points: 12,190, Level: 72
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 260
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,345
    Points
    12,190
    Level
    72
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 133 Times in 82 Posts

    Default Re: Anyone who puts The Jacksons output 1976-1980 as high as early solo MJ?

    Not me. I love those early motown solo albums more than i like anything the jackson ever put out. And I know I'm in the minority, but I'm a HUGE J5 era fan, and I think anything he did, solo or with J5, is better than anything the jacksons did

  8. #7
    Points: 3,015, Level: 33
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience PointsThree Friends1 year registered

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    375
    Points
    3,015
    Level
    33
    Thanks
    148
    Thanked 443 Times in 192 Posts

    Default Re: Anyone who puts The Jacksons output 1976-1980 as high as early solo MJ?

    Quote Originally Posted by JichaelMackson View Post
    I would put them above History and Invincible for sure.
    I wouldn't. HIStory is an overlooked masterpiece. Songs like: Earth Song, They Don't Care About Us, Stranger In Moscow or Tabloid Junkie are genius.
    Invincible may not be the best album ever but it has got some great tracks on it. (You Rock My World, Whatever Happens, Unbreakable, Butterflies, Speechless...)

    Quote Originally Posted by JichaelMackson View Post
    Do you think if Thriller didn't become as big as it did that Michael would have stayed with The Jacksons? In a way It's a shame.
    Thank god he left the Jacksons. Don't get me wrong...I love Triumph and Destiny but a world without the Bad album/era and the Dangerous album/era and everything that came after is infinitely worse.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dethorro For This Useful Post:


  10. #8
    Points: 3,191, Level: 34
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    727
    Points
    3,191
    Level
    34
    Thanks
    2,564
    Thanked 759 Times in 407 Posts

    Default Re: Anyone who puts The Jacksons output 1976-1980 as high as early solo MJ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nite Line View Post
    If you look at the Destiny album, it's probably Michael's most personal album prior to History. Songs such as Things I Do For You, Bless His Soul, That's What You Get For Being Polite, Destiny aren't only autobiographical in nature, but are great songs that easily could have been on any MJ solo album.
    I agree, and I easily put Destiny and Triumph as high as OTW, if not even higher (I prefer the rawer sound of the Jacksons albums, OTW sometimes a bit "sugary" to me). My dream debut MJ album would be a composite of these three, as all have some great songs as well as fillers, so combining the greats and leaving out the fillers would result in a masterpiece.

    Also it's an interesting question how the song selection was made, as we know from the home demos some songs that ended up on MJ's solo albums had been recorded with the brothers originally. So I'm not even sure there was this big dividing line between MJ's solo work and the Jacksons material at that time.

    Quote Originally Posted by JichaelMackson View Post
    I feel lots of new fans don't even have the knowledge that these albums exist.
    We should give time to new fans, they have a lot to discover. I even envy them a bit for this, the discovery phase is always a great experience.


    Quote Originally Posted by JichaelMackson View Post
    I would put them above History


    Quote Originally Posted by dethorro View Post
    I wouldn't. HIStory is an overlooked masterpiece. Songs like: Earth Song, They Don't Care About Us, Stranger In Moscow or Tabloid Junkie are genius.
    And Money, Scream, This Time Around, 2 Bad... Plus it stood the test of time and perhaps even more relevant today.

    Quote Originally Posted by JichaelMackson View Post
    I love gloomy depressing music but early MJ does shift my mind to be more positive as I have a very pessimistic even depressing personality.
    I feel your pain about being pessimistic, haha, but it's great you can shift your mood to be more positive. It's really amazing how music can influence us for the better.
    I look to greet the stars
    But there's no stars to see

  11. #9
    Points: 2,622, Level: 31
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered

    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    409
    Points
    2,622
    Level
    31
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 123 Times in 90 Posts

    Default Re: Anyone who puts The Jacksons output 1976-1980 as high as early solo MJ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ozemouze View Post
    I agree, and I easily put Destiny and Triumph as high as OTW, if not even higher (I prefer the rawer sound of the Jacksons albums, OTW sometimes a bit "sugary" to me). My dream debut MJ album would be a composite of these three, as all have some great songs as well as fillers, so combining the greats and leaving out the fillers would result in a masterpiece.

    Also it's an interesting question how the song selection was made, as we know from the home demos some songs that ended up on MJ's solo albums had been recorded with the brothers originally. So I'm not even sure there was this big dividing line between MJ's solo work and the Jacksons material at that time.
    The first half of OTW is funktastic, the second half turns sugary. I have the exact same problem with Dangerous, love the hard New Jack Swing of the first half. That's my problem with all MJ's albums, he always wanted varied albums, I prefer a constant mood or atmosphere. I think Thriller in that regard is his most solid record in terms of songs picked.

  12. #10
    Points: 2,622, Level: 31
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered

    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    409
    Points
    2,622
    Level
    31
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 123 Times in 90 Posts

    Default Re: Anyone who puts The Jacksons output 1976-1980 as high as early solo MJ?

    Also I think the Jacksons or Jackson 5 are basically a live act. I can watch performances every day but I rarely listen to the album records. I don't care much for songs like "all night dancing" or "keep on dancing" or "get it together" on album but live they are energetic and spectacular.

  13. #11
    Points: 14,954, Level: 79
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    NatureCriminal7896's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,637
    Points
    14,954
    Level
    79
    Thanks
    1,777
    Thanked 946 Times in 680 Posts

    Default Re: Anyone who puts The Jacksons output 1976-1980 as high as early solo MJ?

    A lot of the newer fans don't like Michael Motown J5 period. they like everything after that. though they need to listen to them or at least know the history.



    a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to NatureCriminal7896 For This Useful Post:


  15. #12
    Points: 12,190, Level: 72
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 260
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,345
    Points
    12,190
    Level
    72
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 133 Times in 82 Posts

    Default Re: Anyone who puts The Jacksons output 1976-1980 as high as early solo MJ?

    Quote Originally Posted by NatureCriminal7896 View Post
    A lot of the newer fans don't like Michael Motown J5 period. they lie everything after that. though they need to listen to them or at least know the history.
    I couldn't agree more! This part of his career is as important as everything else. But a lot of fans (both new and old), simply choose to ignore this era which is a damn shame

  16. #13
    Points: 14,954, Level: 79
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    NatureCriminal7896's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,637
    Points
    14,954
    Level
    79
    Thanks
    1,777
    Thanked 946 Times in 680 Posts

    Default Re: Anyone who puts The Jacksons output 1976-1980 as high as early solo MJ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Michaels Lover View Post
    I couldn't agree more! This part of his career is as important as everything else. But a lot of fans (both new and old), simply choose to ignore this era which is a damn shame
    I don't get it either. i don't know. different taste maybe? not their thing?



    a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

  17. #14
    Points: 3,191, Level: 34
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    727
    Points
    3,191
    Level
    34
    Thanks
    2,564
    Thanked 759 Times in 407 Posts

    Default Re: Anyone who puts The Jacksons output 1976-1980 as high as early solo MJ?

    Quote Originally Posted by JichaelMackson View Post
    The first half of OTW is funktastic, the second half turns sugary.
    I agree. I could never really think of OTW as an "album" because half of it is a random set of songs for me (fun and enjoyable, but not outstanding songs). Destiny or Triumph are more consistent in this regard. Plus I think even some of the funkiest songs could have been rawer, especially Get On The Floor (which is a fave of mine but still). Sound wise Don't Stop and Workin' Day and Night are the best IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by JichaelMackson View Post
    I have the exact same problem with Dangerous, love the hard New Jack Swing of the first half.
    I strongly disagree, haha. I guess you mean the slow songs on the B side, but I think they fit into the flow of the album perfectly (not to mention WII and GITM are among the best). Actually for me Dangerous is the most consistent album, every song follows the prevous one effortlessly, thematically and music wise as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by JichaelMackson View Post
    That's my problem with all MJ's albums, he always wanted varied albums, I prefer a constant mood or atmosphere. I think Thriller in that regard is his most solid record in terms of songs picked.
    I half-agree. Thriller's set list is indeed the most perfect (if we excuse the inclusion of TGIM :P), but i'ts wisely picked in a way to be consistent but very varied at the same time. It's no surprise it's the most popular album, it's well deserved (even though it's far from being my favourites).

    Quote Originally Posted by JichaelMackson View Post
    Also I think the Jacksons or Jackson 5 are basically a live act. I can watch performances every day but I rarely listen to the album records. I don't care much for songs like "all night dancing" or "keep on dancing" or "get it together" on album but live they are energetic and spectacular.
    Very good observation! I love the J5, but their albums come with a lot of fillers and treating the group as only a "boyband" really limited their potentials. As a result my faves often happen to be their amazing remakes of the great Motown classics rather then their original songs.

    As a live act though! They rocked! Very energetic performances at the same level as the rock shows of the time. If I had a time machine one goal certainly would be to attend a J5 show.
    I look to greet the stars
    But there's no stars to see

  18. #15
    Points: 3,191, Level: 34
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    727
    Points
    3,191
    Level
    34
    Thanks
    2,564
    Thanked 759 Times in 407 Posts

    Default Re: Anyone who puts The Jacksons output 1976-1980 as high as early solo MJ?

    Quote Originally Posted by NatureCriminal7896 View Post
    I don't get it either. i don't know. different taste maybe? not their thing?
    Perhaps because the J5 albums are uneven, and the Best Ofs aren't necessarily much better either, as the hits weren't always the best songs, so people would have to go through a lot of material to find the real gems?

    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the J5, but even from the start I did my own best ofs (in casette days ) and I listened to those compilations instead of the original albums. But I agree that those fans who ignore the J5 are missing out.

    Releasing J5 live performances could certainly raise interest towards them, but I don't know how many concert were recorded.
    I look to greet the stars
    But there's no stars to see

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •