Question about Bad tour vocals

JichaelMackson

Proud Member
I have seen the Yokohama show which is fully live but it's basically the Victory show bar 3 differences in the setlist.
I've seen the Wembley show which is good but TWYMMF, MITM, SC and bad are not live so this renders it it automatically less good than Yokohama.

Now the natural question is did he ever bring the entire Wembley setlist live or did he always mime those 4 songs? If he ever did this setlist 100% live then that's is the ultimate show to want for a dvd release (next to everything that came before the bad tour).

I'm going to be lenient, I can take 1 mimed song but not more than 1!

"Smooth Criminal", "The Way You Make Me Feel", & "BAD" were performed live for atleast every show in March (latest performance with live vocals is March 30th), unknown about after that but he started Lip-Syncing those songs as early as the first night in Rome.

Man In The Mirror has always been lip-synced, unless there was a possible playback failure, he was lip-syncing the first part of it until the adlibs.

Well, we can't be sure about if he lip synced MITM on the first two shows in Kansas City.

Well, we can't be sure about if he lip synced MITM on the first two shows in Kansas City.

Pretty confident with my info that it was, but I understand where you're coming from. The whole gap inbetween Feb. 24th & March 3rd could've been for adding the playback, & also the Grammy's performance on March 2nd where they already had the entire song playback ready (unlike "The Way You Make Me Feel", where the song only had a small segment of it), which could've easily been used for the next night.

I believe TWYMMF and SC were live at some early 1988 shows.

Below is an audio from MSG show where TWYMMF and SC are fully live. Michael even sings a part from the video version during the performance of SC in the second verse.

I'm not sure if he ever sang Bad live after 1987 and I don't think Man In The Mirror was ever sung fully live, which is a big shame.

I believe TWYMMF and SC were live at some early 1988 shows.

Below is an audio from MSG show where TWYMMF and SC are fully live. Michael even sings a part from the video version during the performance of SC in the second verse.

I'm not sure if he ever sang Bad live after 1987 and I don't think Man In The Mirror was ever sung fully live, which is a big shame.

same show he sung BAD live.

Is this for sure live because if it is it sounds really good. Why wasn't this show released to the public instead of Wembley?

It's like a greatest hits package and at the same time it shuts the critics who say he can't sing live. I really hate it that YouTube is flooded with mimed performances, they should all be deleted imo.

Where do you get your info from Seldervi?

Is this for sure live because if it is it sounds really good. Why wasn't this show released to the public instead of Wembley?

The reason could be that the Wembley show was better and they had multitrack audio. I hope they release this concert at some point:

Last edited:
It doesn't need to be in super HD quality. I just want to see a pro video of Smooth Criminal being sung live

I have seen the Yokohama show which is fully live but it's basically the Victory show bar 3 differences in the setlist.
I've seen the Wembley show which is good but TWYMMF, MITM, SC and bad are not live so this renders it it automatically less good than Yokohama.

Now the natural question is did he ever bring the entire Wembley setlist live or did he always mime those 4 songs? If he ever did this setlist 100% live then that's is the ultimate show to want for a dvd release (next to everything that came before the bad tour).

I'm going to be lenient, I can take 1 mimed song but not more than 1!

I can't believe what I read on this forum sometimes.

:wtf2:

It doesn't need to be in super HD quality. I just want to see a pro video of Smooth Criminal being sung live

You and me both mate. The Estate or whoever desperately need to release that show March 3rd (or 5th I never remember which) the one we have the amateur audio of, it sounds incredible. If they ever release anything in cinemas it should be just that, Mike at the top of his game

at the same time it shuts the critics who say he can't sing live.

Those people are wrong. And there is a hundreds of hours of footage which disproves it.

Agree however that Yokohama is automatically better than Wembley on account of being a 100% live show.

I honestly don't think that the use of playback in just four songs makes a show worse than another. The 1988-89 Bad Tour was phenomenal.

The playback wasn't as noticeable on the BAD Tour as it was on his later tours

Last edited:
Noticeable or not noticeable it still remains playback. Especially miming signature songs is just taking the piss. It's not that he couldn't do it, he apparently had proven it up until march 1988 that he could sing those songs live

I honestly don't think that the use of playback in just four songs makes a show worse than another. The 1988-89 Bad Tour was phenomenal.

Agreed. I don't mind the lip syncing on Bad Tour. I don't even mind it on the Dangerous Tour. I don't like it, but it isn't a deal breaker for me.

However, I do mind it on the History Tour. (A) Because of the excessive lip-syncing and (B) The main reason which is how obvious the lip-syncing was on that tour. For example, 38-39 Michael lip-syncing to 19 y/o MJ vocals during the OTW medley or 24 y/o MJ vocals during Billie Jean, Beat It & Thriller & the backing singers lip-syncing to Michael's vocals during Stranger In Moscow.

The playback wasn't as noticeable on the BAD Tour as it was on his later tours

It was also believable, notice how all 4 of the songs he sung playback to were all from the same album, the latest album? Michael still sounded close to that, so it blended in wonderfully. Unlike later tours where he tries to lip-sync songs from years prior, like 1979 & 1982, which is a huge contrast to the live vocals, where he struggles to reach those same vocals.

If you care about a concert being completely live then sure, Yokohama is perfect. However, the setlist on the second leg is much better. The playback on the bad tour was at least hardly noticeable and understandable. Smooth Criminal, BAD, TWYMMF, MITM are all hard to sing in general night after night. Let alone the dancing at the same time.

Smooth Criminal, BAD, TWYMMF, MITM are all hard to sing in general night after night. Let alone the dancing at the same time.

I'm honestly surprised he was able to do that for at least the whole month before deciding it was time to use playback.

The Bad tour destroyed his live vocals. He was never the same as a live vocalist after this tour.

I have said this for a long time. The proof is in the pudding. His voice was never the same after the bad tour. Not only was it too strenuous on him he also sung some nights while he had a flu which is a big no.

Regarding MITM I think there is a possibility that he sung it live in its entirety for the first night in Kansas or at least the playback cut off earlier than usual because in MSG he starts singing live after the first spin, which is earlier than he did in the European leg of the tour.

I have said this for a long time. The proof is in the pudding. His voice was never the same after the bad tour. Not only was it too strenuous on him he also sung some nights while he had a flu which is a big no.

Regarding MITM I think there is a possibility that he sung it live in its entirety for the first night in Kansas or at least the playback cut off earlier than usual because in MSG he starts singing live after the first spin, which is earlier than he did in the European leg of the tour.

He did way too many shows for the Bad Tour. 120+ shows in the span of 15-16 months. That's a lot. It was bound to destroy his voice.

I would have loved MJ to sing Heal the World and MITM live.

The Dangerous rehearsal of these songs live are my favorite performances of those songs.

Also - and I am not a singer - but I would think Heal the World is not a very difficult song to sing live? Would have been great.

And MITM live would naturally just be awesome since the song is great and full of emotions - and play-back does not really get those emotiones out.

Agreed. I don't mind the lip syncing on Bad Tour. I don't even mind it on the Dangerous Tour. I don't like it, but it isn't a deal breaker for me.

However, I do mind it on the History Tour. (A) Because of the excessive lip-syncing and (B) The main reason which is how obvious the lip-syncing was on that tour. For example, 38-39 Michael lip-syncing to 19 y/o MJ vocals during the OTW medley or 24 y/o MJ vocals during Billie Jean, Beat It & Thriller & the backing singers lip-syncing to Michael's vocals during Stranger In Moscow.

The Dangerous Tour still had enough live singing to make up for the lip syncing. If a show is at least 50% live then I'm happy

the bad tour really did ruin his vocals. he was doing tours night after night. let not mention the fact age as well. not to also mention the fact that he didn't like touring at all. but he did it for his fans. the bad tour was gonna be his last tour to be honest but he kept on touring for his fans.

i really wish he took breaks when he got sick etc because he was human and needed rest just like the rest of us. but he always did it for his fans.

I think near the end he was just tired of touring every night so he lip sing etc. like hey, this is the end so i'm just gonna do a few dance moves and sing alittle because he would been done after it.

the bad tour was everything. him going solo and touring on his own. the bad tour and era was an great time.

i really thank him for all the stuff he did during those times. it took a lot. also doing 120+ shows is a lot.

Michael lost weight from the tours actually cause every night he would be dancing and sweating.

that also explains why there was times he was very dehydrate sometimes.

thank you Michael.

also I still listen to his music after the bad era etc. but i'm not gonna lie his vocals did changes after it.

Back